PDA

View Full Version : [spell]An excuse for deus ex machina

Winged One
2006-08-11, 12:57 AM
Wild magic and miracle working,
Chaos theory and wierd science,
Acts of gods and freak occurances,
At the point where unbelievable coincidences and contrived events converge,
I reach my hand into the gaping hole that exists within the plot of the universe,
I send my prayers accross barriers of logic, calling forth the forces of pure dumb luck to aid my quest!
Let the improbable happen!
I summon deux ex machina!

Affect Probability/Plea
Universal[chaos]
Level: Sor/Wiz 0, Clr 0, Brd 0, Drd 0, Pal 1, Rgr 1
Componets: V, S, DF/F
Casting Time: 1 full-round action
Range: infinite
Target: probability
Duration: Instantaneous

Arcane: You weave probability around your arms as you roll the dice, and demand or request that the universe help you in your task.

Divine: You fall on your knees, clasp your hands together around your holy symbol, and beg your patron to help you in your task.

This spell sometimes causes improbable or seemingly contrived events to happen and aid the caster. Such events include an unwounded prisoner being found in a cell block with insufficient guards to hold off more than the prisoner themself, who has simmiler skills to a recently fallen ally(this spell is most often cast when said ally's skills include magical healing), or somebody leaning in exactly the correct place to trigger a secret passage, or any number of such things. This spell does not always work, and in fact sometimes causes hinderences to the caster. It is believed that these hinderances are more likely if one relies on this spell too much.

This spell has the [chaos] descriptor only due to it's unpredictable nature. Lawful divine spellcasters and divine spellcasters who follow lawful deities may still cast this spell.

Arcane casters usually call this spell Affect Probability, while divine casters call it Plea.

Arcane Focus: A pair of six-sided dice. It is believed by some people that the spell is more likely to have worked if they came up both 6. This cannot be proven however; sometimes it works without coming up 2 6's, sometimes it comes up 2 6's without working. It is true that the spell affects the number on the dice, however, although most studies regarding exactly how it does so end up being disrupted by freak lightning strikes, earthquakes, or monster attacks. Such studies are usually banned in any magocracy for this reason.
---
What would be a sidebar if this were a book: Your DM's reaction to this spell is actually a good indicator of how useful this spell will have been in the past to all spellcasters.
---
Also, cookie if you get the reference. Cookie has been won.

DaMullet
2006-08-11, 01:07 AM
Interesting concept... I could see allowing this spell in a few games...

Jarl
2006-08-11, 02:20 AM
I... I think I remember... a webcomic with that line in it. "I summon Deus Ex Machina!"...
Was... was it by the same guy who did Exploitation Now! or am I thinking of something else?

-Bah. What is this other than an Infinite Improbability Drive?

Averem
2006-08-11, 02:30 AM
I... I think I remember... a webcomic with that line in it. "I summon Deus Ex Machina!"...
Was... was it by the same guy who did Exploitation Now! or am I thinking of something else?

Spelling the Vacuum, by Andy Eikum. He stopped, made a comic, then promptly stopped again. It makes me sad, cause it was a kinda decent comic. Ah well.

The Demented One
2006-08-11, 08:57 AM
Amazing amounts of win for Errant Story.

Winged One
2006-08-11, 03:44 PM
Amazing amounts of win for Errant Story.
http://wiki.coolmon.org/files/cookie.jpg

Winged One
2006-08-11, 07:11 PM
Updated to remove some ambigiuity from the reasons for the [chaos] descriptor, and removed one of the possible names.

Kamakazee_Gnome
2006-08-13, 01:32 AM
Like Wish, only random! :D

My DM would probably love this spell... and love to nerf anyone who cast it.

Winged One
2006-08-13, 01:54 AM
That's why nobody casts it with a DM like that. :)