PDA

View Full Version : Thrower build?

Zergrusheddie
2009-05-02, 12:36 AM
I've heard a lot of mention of a "Thrower" who apparently can throw weapons t and deal some significant damage. A Google search for "Thrower" leads me only to the Hulking Hurler Campaign Smasher. Aside from HH, what kind of Thrower builds exist and how do they work? Sorry if the question is stupid: My Int < :thog:

Best of luck
-Eddie

RTGoodman
2009-05-02, 12:46 AM
The two main "thrower" builds I know of are the Hulking Hurler fellow that throws moons and small planets (and is indeed a campaign smasher), and just your normal, playable Bloodstorm Blade build from ToB.

Bloodstorm Blade is a PrC that lets you, among other things, throw your weapon and have it return, make full attacks at range with melee weapons, have your thrown attacks count as melee attacks, and attack each enemy in sight a certain number of times per day (or something like that).

With a standard Warblade/Fighter/Bloodstorm Blade/Whatever build, you can throw basically anything around AND still use the same damage boosts you'd normally use for melee combat. That includes thing like two-handed Power Attack/Shock Trooper stuff, sundering/tripping from range, and all that. I'd have to look up specific builds, but it pretty much works for itself once you get into the PrC.

(Also, there's a PrC out there for throwers that lets all your thrown attacks count as touch attacks - Master Thrower, maybe? - and that's a good combo with Bloodstorm Blade.)

Keld Denar
2009-05-02, 12:46 AM
I know I helped you build a Bardblade a few months back, but actually, a Bardblade makes a pretty effective thrower. Check this build out:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5140212&postcount=11

You throw more dice than....a....guy...who throws...lots of dice...

Fjolnir
2009-05-02, 12:51 AM
there's also the halfling hurler (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Halfling_Hurler_(DnD_Optimized_Character_Build)) build that uses acid vials and a ring of blink combined with just plain old rogue levels but it might be comparatively weak, I don't know...

Talic
2009-05-02, 01:16 AM
Bloodstorm Blade is the typical thrower build for those that can't Hulk.

Combine melee feats with throwing, get instantaneous returning... It's like doing melee from 100 feet away. Great with 2 weapon fighting, and anything that boosts melee boosts it.

At higher levels, it becomes a horde killer, as a javelin with far shot has a 100 foot range increment. This means a level 10 BSB can attack every enemy within 495 feet as a full round action, adn for good measure, target every empty square with LoE (and a seeking weapon) to get the invisible, the hiding, or the otherwise difficult to see.

It's even worse with a distance weapon (745 feet).

There are ranged bullrush feats, knockdown feats, etc etc etc that all keep synergizing. And if they close to melee? Draw a two hander and go to town.

Can also synergize with shadowpounce, and other cheese.

In gestalt, several power combos include Duskblade (at level 13, can imbue a weapon with a spell and every melee attack made in a round gets that spell applied to it. So Vampiric Touch on everything within 1/4 mile)...

Zergrusheddie
2009-05-02, 01:18 AM
I know I helped you build a Bardblade a few months back, but actually, a Bardblade makes a pretty effective thrower. Check this build out:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5140212&postcount=11

Here comes Keld to educate me yet again! Quick questions though: Is Palm Throw from Master Thrower and what book is Master Thrower?

To Talic: That is a little disgusting. It reminds me of the javazon from Diablo 2. I'll have to look into that one. :smallsmile:

Best of luck to everyone trying to make me less of an idiot! :smallwink:
-Eddie

Talic
2009-05-02, 02:02 AM
Well, there are 2 ways to take BSB.

1) Go 4 levels into it (doable by level 9). You get the ability to lightning throw your javelin, and it has super returning. With a two weapon fighting build, that means you get (with haste)... 5 attacks per round at range. Not bad. They go off strength, and you can power attack if you like.

Build into shadowpounce, and you can use shadowhand to get full attacks after teleport (standard and move action = 2 full attacks a round). You can also build it other ways, such as with master thrower, to maximize the number of shots you get, etc.

Enchant them both with damage buffers, and you can deal a lot of pain in a little time. Bonus points if you're halfling, and throw in 10 rogue levels in the mix, with Woodland Sniper and racial class levels. Now you can full attack with javelins every round, call it a snipe, and STILL move after your attack. With a -10 to hide instead of -20. Yeah, you may not get sneak attack, but who cares!? Halfling also get bonuses with thrown weapons. ;)

2) 10 levels BSB, battlefield artillery. Rain javelins across all your enemies. Give them status effects, or multi-target enhancements, like the one that does minor explosive damage, or slowdown effects, or con damage, etc. The point is to weaken everything at once, in a meaningfull manner. It's ok if the ability doesn't stack with itself, you're looking to open by laying those effects on everyone. Then start up with full attacks above. You'll have less other levels to play with, though,, so less devious comboing. Master Thrower's Multi-targeting abilities can make this actually hit everyone more than once, I believe.

Faleldir
2009-05-02, 08:05 AM
Don't forget to save a feat for EWP: harpoon! You'll need it!

woodenbandman
2009-05-02, 10:14 AM
Master Thrower is cool too. It's good for a ranged sneak attacker, which is VERY hard to pull off but very cool if you can do it.

Another cool thing you can try is dipping blood claw master and using the standard TWF warblade tricks with it, such as Stormguard Warrior -> a buttload of attacks. With master thrower you can make double the number of attacks, forgoe them for touch attacks, and treat them as melee touch attacks to qualify for the combat rhythm ability of Stormguard Warrior. Combine that with a Time Stands Still the very next round (if you can fit it, it's hard), and you can, at range, deal upwards of a thousand damage.

At least, I think you can. I'm just tossing this around in my head, I don't know if it'll work... yet.

Flickerdart
2009-05-02, 10:19 AM
Here comes Keld to educate me yet again! Quick questions though: Is Palm Throw from Master Thrower and what book is Master Thrower?
-Eddie
Palm Throw is a Skill trick, I believe, from Complete Scoundrel. Master Thrower is either there or Complete Warrior, not sure.

ondonaflash
2009-05-02, 10:31 AM

"Then an autistic at a craps table"?

Faleldir
2009-05-02, 11:17 AM
With master thrower you can make double the number of attacks

Why does everyone say this? Palm Throw uses one attack roll for two weapons. It's only good for ranged double Power Attack.

woodenbandman
2009-05-02, 11:41 AM
So you're right. The damage applies to each seperately. Not quite as much damage, but you can still break 1000.

monty
2009-05-02, 01:44 PM
Palm Throw is a Skill trick, I believe, from Complete Scoundrel. Master Thrower is either there or Complete Warrior, not sure.

Palm Throw may be a skill trick (don't have the book on me to check), but it's also a possible class feature of Master Thrower, which is in CW.