PDA

View Full Version : this is a very stupid rules question but... 3.5

Fjolnir
2009-05-02, 12:47 AM
I'm building a caster and am concidering the spelltouched trait, what does adding one to my caster level for spells of the school do exactly? just raise level dependant things or does it do saves etc as well, this isn't my first caster and I feel like I should know this but I'm drawing a blank, also is it worth taking on a beguiler for enchantment or does the hit to illusion make it not so good of a choice?

Keld Denar
2009-05-02, 12:51 AM
CL only affects the things is says it does. It determines range on variable ranged spells (close, medium, far), as well as duration, # of dice, and anything else that references CL. Since saving throws are only dependant on the SPELL level and your casting stat, its not adjusted as your CL increases or decreases. CL also affects your ability to penetrate SR and your vulnerability to dispels.

All that said, it would hurt a Beguiler much less than say...a generalist wizard, because of school limitations. But I still wouldn't take it. Too much drawback for too little penalty, IMO.

Fjolnir
2009-05-02, 12:54 AM
thanks, just one of those things that was bugging me as I'm working on the character like I said I should have known it but wanted to be right rather than guessing