PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Half-ogre Warblade/Barbarian?

Leonidus
2009-05-02, 03:19 AM
I'm playing in a campaign where we allow LA buy-off, and I'm switching in a half-ogre past the buy-off stage, so he's at +0 LA. Ability score are variable, based on the build, but I've basically got a 84-point spread I can put wherever I need, capped at 18s on 1st level. (That's flat, not point buy. Even distribution would net 14's. No higher point-value cost, so 18s are viable.)

I want to make him a defensive-sort, strong enough to do decent damage, but at this level we're already getting into wizard=win situations, so it's more about defense and protection.

I'm relatively settled on the idea of warblade 2/barbarian 10 (we're currently edging on 12th level), though I might shift the mix a little. (I'm liking these numbers mainly because the 11th level barb stuff would be around the corner.)

I'm mainly looking for suggestions on feats and maneuvers (including extra-maneuver-feats), plus any unusual equipment to keep an eye out for, aside from the usual ability and buffing items. I don't want to get into any one-trick ponies, because we face just about everything on the menu, and I don't want to be left in the cold.

I'm looking to be more of a defensive blocker, maybe using some tripping and such. I'm debating a reach weapon, either short-hafted or as one of two, to make use of the dominating size.

I've got everything outside of campaign settings. (I've got most of the FR and Eberron stuff, but in this setting the use is negotiable.)

Keld Denar
2009-05-02, 04:32 AM
First off...Short Haft is BAD. TERRIBAD. Costs you your swift action (very valuable when you are using maneuvers!) to switch, carries a penalty when you are choked up, and you don't threaten when you are fighting close. If you are gonna invest ANY feat, invest it in EWP: Spiked Chain. At least you get that versitility ALL the time. Really, I'd go with a reach weapon and just say screw close combat. Either 5' step back or attack someone different. Most of the time, this won't be a problem.

The problem with your build, as I see it, is way too much Barbarian and way too little Warblade. Even if you take those 2 levels at the end of your build, you are still looking at 3 maneuvers readied at any given time. Thats rough.

You should try to build in some Bloodstorm Blade if you can. 4 levels would be perfect. This would give you some more viability in case you get bogged down somehow and are unable to reach your foe. Tack on Knockback (Races of Stone) which you qualify for by virtue of Powerful Build and you can get great lulz knocking people around who aren't even near you. You are just that badass.

Try something more like this. Fighter2/Barbarian2/Warblade2/BSB4/Warblade2.

Spaced out like that, you get your first set of maneuvers at IL3, allouwing you to cherry pick from both 1st and 2nd level. I'd recommend Sudden Leap, and Emerald Razor from the lowbies, along with probably Steel Wind so you can qualify for BSB.

For your fighter levels, take the Dungeoncrasher ACF from Dungeonscape. Its almost comical when you chuck your weapon at someone and bounce their head off the back wall over and over and over and over and over and over again.

As for stats, set Str and Con to 18, Dex and Int can stay at 14, and Wis and Cha should drop to 10, or maybe lower. That would make you a beast after you apply racials and whatnot.

Talic
2009-05-02, 04:47 AM
Agreed on Short Haft.

I usually go for imp unarmed strike or Armor spikes. That lets you threaten in close, while your reach weapon lets you threaten at range.

If you're going BSB, I recommend pumping strength, and also picking up weapons that naturally throw well. Spears, Javelins, and the like.

There's also a feat called Knockdown that applies whenever you deal 10 or more damage on a melee attack that allows for trip attempts. Using a spear with BSB allows for crazy reach tripping too. Combine with knockback (and shock trooper?) to bull rush people around, then knock them prone in square.

Fun times, fun times.

Also, I usually take it 1 handed weapons, and dual wield javelins, which requres more of a Dex 15. However, Keld's stats are solid. If you're working the ranged control, Con may not be AS important. You may be able to skate by with a 16, allowing for a better Dex, possibly qualifying you for combat reflexes for close in control.