PDA

View Full Version : If you could be anyone else...

Kaelaroth
2009-05-02, 07:39 AM
... who would you be? Or what, for that matter?
Let us assume that a mystical power (it doesn't matter which - all that you know is that it is not an evil or good presence, merely one that is giving you this choice - do not fear that there's some malign catch) offers you the choice to become another being. By accepting its choice, you would depart rom your own body (which, only if you wanted it to, would continue, as if on autopilot, doing what it should - without a soul, if you believe in that kind of thing - or merely get killed), and either inhabit another, displacing whatever's currently in there) or creating a new form.

Creating a new form would make reality shift to accomodate you - if you wanted to be a pizza-maker in Queens, a pizza-shop, family, few friends, and such would appear, or rewrite themselves, to be with you. You would have to be something that our world has already - no aliens, or giant mystical beings of doom - but you could take the form of someone (a person) who hasn't existed before. Animals and plants are also fair game - you can't be a new species, or something scary and fictional, but a new member of a pre-existing species is fine.
Taking over a body wouldn't destroy the original "soul", but merely displace it, so that if you ever left the form, the original would return, with a mental blank over the time that you spent possessing it/him/her.
In either situation, you would retain the memories of your old self, and have the mind of the new one, and be able to reverse your decision within three days if you wanted to. After three days, though, your new reality becomes a "true" one, and your old memories would fade, slightly - although you'd still be aware that you weren't entirely your new form, whether stolen or created, it would be easy to push that knowledge to the back of your head.
So? Feel free to be as elaborate or short as you want, or ask for clarification.

Dallas-Dakota
2009-05-02, 07:44 AM
Yes.

Well this was easy.

Kaelaroth
2009-05-02, 09:03 AM
Yes.

So we're (and by we, I mean you) are saying that anything else would be preferable to you? And, out of sheer interest, since you're obviously changing your life, would you let your original form run on autopilot - or die as you leave it?

Canadian
2009-05-02, 09:46 AM
I'd switch bodies with my girlfriends while I was doin' it.

SDF
2009-05-02, 10:04 AM
I can't tell if that's creepy or narcissistic. :smalltongue:

Dallas-Dakota
2009-05-02, 10:12 AM
So we're (and by we, I mean you) are saying that anything else would be preferable to you? And, out of sheer interest, since you're obviously changing your life, would you let your original form run on autopilot - or die as you leave it?
Not anybody.

Autopilot, and then as soon as I would be able, I would lock him up and keep him alive, if I was forced to go back to that body.

zeratul
2009-05-02, 11:36 AM
I'd turn into a version of me who is 6 years older and signed to spinefarm :smalltongue:

Starscream
2009-05-02, 11:38 AM
I can't tell if that's creepy or narcissistic. :smalltongue:

I think it's a little of both.

Dunno what I'd pick. Maybe myself only a little taller and with a better comic book collection?

Yeah, I aim for the stars, baby!

RabbitHoleLost
2009-05-02, 11:41 AM
I'd want to be the woman who seduced John Lennon away from Yoko Ono :smallwink:
:smalltongue:

Actually, I don't know what I'd do. Probably request that I'd be me, but with some grasp on musical knowledge. Maybe actually be able to play something, and keep up with my musically-inclined friends when they get into the terminology I don't understand.

Atreyu the Masked LLama
2009-05-02, 11:43 AM
Hmmmm........

I wouldn't do a long term change. I'm happy with who I am, well, not completely, but enough that I don't want to completely abandon ship on my current life.

However, since we would have the old memories of the body we jumped into, I would hop into the body of my friend's dog. We found her abandoned and starving in a park and they took her in. I have always been curious about her "mysterious past" and why she get so anxious anytime ANYONE leaves the house. I would relish the opportunity to learn her secret origins and maybe understand a little about what goes on in her mind.

However, if fictional creatures were allowed, I would totally hop on the chance to do something like that.

The Rose Dragon
2009-05-02, 11:45 AM
Anybody, you say?

I'd probably become someone I don't like, get everyone to hate "me" and switch back.

Can I do it several times? I have lots of people I don't like.

UncleWolf
2009-05-02, 11:49 AM
I'd be myself, but with millions of dollars. :smallbiggrin:

Kaelaroth
2009-05-02, 12:42 PM
Can I do it several times? I have lots of people I don't like.

Just the once.

Fredthefighter
2009-05-02, 12:45 PM
Probably change into a slightly taller (only a few inches though) and slightly better looking version of myself. Probably a person with a bit more muscle as well (I'm a weakling). Also, I'd like to be a person who's quite a bit more confident than I am (but not overconfident).
Other than these things, I'm happy with who I am right now. Although being able to play a musical instrument would be good too.

Hell Puppi
2009-05-02, 12:52 PM
A sexy necromancer.

That rides a Nightmare.

...and an actual decent necromancer, not a lame 'Oblivion' necromancer that ends up with an arrow through her while going 'huh I thought I saw something'.

Being one on this world would be arright, though I would prefer something a bit more interesting.

RabbitHoleLost
2009-05-02, 12:54 PM
A sexy necromancer.

That rides a Nightmare.

...and an actual decent necromancer, not a lame 'Oblivion' necromancer that ends up with an arrow through her while going 'huh I thought I saw something'.

Being one on this world would be arright, though I would prefer something a bit more interesting.

Hello.
I think you're sexy :smallwink:

Hell Puppi
2009-05-02, 12:57 PM
Yays! :smallbiggrin:

...now to work on the necromancer part.

Ceska
2009-05-02, 01:28 PM
I'd turn into a version of me who is 6 years older and signed to spinefarm :smalltongue:
Pff, true metalheads are signed to Candlelight, or self produced.

...I first thought of getting a less lazy version of me with a higher attention span, but I then realised that I should rather get off a forum and change myself since I'm definitely able to.

Mauve Shirt
2009-05-02, 01:34 PM
Like me except with the willingness and ability to do work.

Haruki-kun
2009-05-02, 01:40 PM
I'd gladly turn into a real life version of this:

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll190/Haruki-san/Haruki3.png

Huh... that was easy.

Vizen
2009-05-02, 02:10 PM

Oh good gods! I was thinking the same thing! I'm disturbed by how disturbing this situation is.

skywalker
2009-05-02, 02:27 PM

That's clever.

I'd become Zac Efron. Sorry Zac. My gain, your loss. He could have my old body, tho.

chiasaur11
2009-05-02, 02:50 PM
Atomic Robo seems to have a good gig going.
Of course, we all remember the lessons of "This man, this Monster", so a little caution seems in order.

thubby
2009-05-02, 03:20 PM
i would cheat so bad at this

first, i would be a highly intelligent, beautiful, and successful woman (it's worth trying).
with my 3 days i would, well first try being a woman *cough*
then i would set it up so that on the third day, if i didn't want to stay as that woman, my former shell would get filthy rich.

InaVegt
2009-05-02, 03:35 PM
A changeling sorcerer, in modern earth.

Sneak
2009-05-02, 03:41 PM
I just wouldn't accept the offer.

Maybe I'm not necessarily happy with who I am, but it is who I am.

The Rose Dragon
2009-05-02, 03:49 PM

Upsides to lacking an identity: you can be anyone and no one will notice. :smallbiggrin:

snoopy13a
2009-05-02, 04:57 PM
I would be...

Batman!

Actually, I'd stick with being millionare playboy Bruce Wayne :smallsmile:

golentan
2009-05-02, 06:08 PM
I would make myself both more proactive and intelligent, have myself start with a number of Ph.D.s in many subjects (with knowledge), and give myself certain cosmetic changes. And have a winning lottery ticket in my pocket. Then, I would toodle around doing what I felt like. Whatever that was at the time. Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy you the free time to pursue it, I figure.

Felixaar
2009-05-02, 08:48 PM
Me.

...Hey! Wait a second!

That dog has a puffy tail!!

Also,

I already am me!!

Oh, I am so happy :smallbiggrin:

I honestly can't think of anyone I'd rather be.

Hadrian_Emrys
2009-05-02, 10:05 PM
I'd find out who would know the highest number of national secrets, gain that knowledge, then sleep better at night with all those unspoken questions answered.

Haven
2009-05-02, 10:48 PM
I'd find out who would know the highest number of national secrets, gain that knowledge, then sleep better at night with all those unspoken questions answered.

And everybody trying to kill you?

Although that is a pretty interesting point. The way it's set up it seems like you could theoretically become someone who knows all those secrets, but whom no one knows knows all those secrets.

But as to my answer to this...hmmm.

Berserk Monk
2009-05-03, 01:58 AM
Could I go back in time, be someone that lived hundreds or thousands of years ago?

FoE
2009-05-03, 02:27 AM
I'm going to become a velociraptor for the sole purpose of showing up at Randall Munroe's (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randall_Munroe) house. If he doesn't answer the doorbell, I'm jumping through a window. :smalltongue:

Tempest Fennac
2009-05-03, 02:39 AM
Being a real life version of my old HALO character, http://haloitp.wikispaces.com/Tempest+Fennac , if I could would be perfect due to how I'd be a fennec fox with healing magic.:smallbiggrin: If I couldn't be him, I'm not sure whether I'd accept the offer.

Ninja Chocobo
2009-05-03, 06:50 AM
I'd rather like to be myself, only an attractive female.
Hear me out.
Basically, my life is pretty sweet, except for the bit where I'm fat, ugly, and lonely. This change would solve the first two right off the bat, and goes a long way towards the last one. See, the crux of the issue is that I just don't know any members of the fairer sex, whereas I have a good number of male friends and I'm likely going into a male-dominated (that is, if you're into massive understatements) field.
And whichever 'form' I choose to stick with I'll be able to make pots of money writing books and going on talk shows.
It occurs to me I've thought about this waaaay too much. And it probably still sounds kinda sketchy.

SDF
2009-05-03, 09:00 AM
Oh, and to answer the question either Henry Rollins (cause he is SUCH a badass who doesn't want to be him?) Or Ben Gibbard.

Though probably the latter because 1.) He is engaged to Zooey Deschanel 2.) When I release my twee pop album people will instantly take it seriously.

Canadian
2009-05-03, 01:16 PM
Basically, my life is pretty sweet, except for the bit where I'm fat, ugly, and lonely.

Dude. You can always go on a diet and work out a little. That would solve most of your problems.

Ninja Chocobo
2009-05-03, 06:46 PM
Dude. You can always go on a diet and work out a little. That would solve most of your problems.

I already am, and it'll only solve one of my problems. One out of three is not 'most'.

Rutskarn
2009-05-03, 06:52 PM
Why the hell would I want to be somebody else?

I write stories about deranged feline journalists. I run a blog centered around lurid and grim metafiction. I'm a massive friggin' nerd and a double-fisted Dungeon Master who's not afraid to squat down for 30 hours over a notebook creating a campaign setting for my ungrateful players. I'm cynical, thoughtful, and an information junkie living in an age where a fix is just an internet connection away.

I'm the goddamn Rutskarn.

(I'd like to spend five minutes inside Terry Pratchett's head, though. Just five minutes. It'd be like Disneyland.)

Hell Puppi
2009-05-03, 10:12 PM
So Rutskarn, what you're basically telling me is if you could choose to create giant armored zombie t-rexes...you wouldn't?

Man...I though I knew you.

I mean how priceless would the look on people's faces be when they showed up?

RabbitHoleLost
2009-05-03, 10:28 PM
I'd rather like to be myself, only an attractive female.

You know what makes me dislike myself a little bit?
I actually had the thought of how likely it would be that I'd crush on you if you were an attractive female.
Or even a female.

For some reason, your gender decides everything with me :smalleek:

Rutskarn
2009-05-03, 10:43 PM
So Rutskarn, what you're basically telling me is if you could choose to create giant armored zombie t-rexes...you wouldn't?

I refuse to answer on the grounds that I'm having some trouble with the welding.

Reinholdt
2009-05-03, 11:29 PM
Well geez. Pick someone. I'd switch with so many. =/

Animals are fair game? Fine. I'll just be a cat. Sounds good enough to me.

Oh. And make it the cat of some important political person so I can shred their papers. :smallbiggrin:

Coidzor
2009-05-03, 11:59 PM
You know what makes me dislike myself a little bit?
I actually had the thought of how likely it would be that I'd crush on you if you were an attractive female.
Or even a female.

For some reason, your gender decides everything with me :smalleek:

For all our society we still are remarkably simple organisms.

Hmm. Who would I be if I could be anyone else? Hmm, probably I'd elect to become myself sans my feeling of crippling doubt and insecurity.

Or maybe just someone with a kick ass immune system. I'm sick and tired of feeling sick and tired.

(I'd like to spend five minutes inside Terry Pratchett's head, though. Just five minutes. It'd be like Disneyland.)

<3

Mando Knight
2009-05-04, 12:19 AM
I'd try being female. Preferably upper or upper-middle class.

Or someone with access to everything I'd need to begin my nefarious plot to take over the world. :smalltongue:

Ilena
2009-05-04, 09:41 AM
Centauress, hands down, eather that or a silver dragon ..... :D and barring that a Unicorn, and baring that ..... hmmmm and if i cant have any of those three, i think id want a much healthier body then i have now, bad eyes repaired, and general body pains gone, and a more feminine shape.

Ninja Chocobo
2009-05-04, 09:44 AM
Or even a female.

+1 reason. +about 10 skeeziness.

Thanatos 51-50
2009-05-04, 09:57 AM
I'd ask said being if he could take the offer and give it to my girlfriend, and see if he couldn't just take her pain away.

Quincunx
2009-05-04, 10:31 AM
I know the one who took my life.
She lives with cats, she lives alone--
The stories change--the students don't.
They chant Amo, amas, amat,
(She loves the girls) (She loves her cat)
(That's sick) (Defend her, then.) (I won't!)
Repeating 'til the year is done.
My man, he has a loving wife.

Kaelaroth
2009-05-04, 12:10 PM
Centauress, hands down, eather that or a silver dragon ..... :D and barring that a Unicorn, and baring that ..... hmmmm and if i cant have any of those three, i think id want a much healthier body then i have now, bad eyes repaired, and general body pains gone, and a more feminine shape.

You were correct in your presumption that you could not have any of those three, as they are not scientifically proven to exist.

chiasaur11
2009-05-04, 12:32 PM
Ruts is right on the Pratchett bit, even if I think a weekend would be better than five minutes.

And on further reflection, still being me, but with a good battlesuit, a couple million, and a dinosaur farm would be a good deal.

I mean, it would save weeks of work, which could then be devoted to studying or, more importantly, X-Com.

Morrsleib
2009-05-04, 12:52 PM
A girl, don't know who but a girl. Probably one i knew wasn't totaly crazy. A person i could fell in love with. Then spending a couple of week in her head, just to figure out what the hell was happening in the head of girls. Because thats a mystery.

That could be seriuosly useful, to know what happens in a girl/womans head :P

Narkis
2009-05-04, 02:25 PM
I'd become Bill Gates, travel to Greece on a "whim", proceed to "lose" a suitcase containing a few million euros in a place that only I could find them, switch back to my original body and find the money. I'd then continue with my ordinary life, but now vastly more comfortably.

dagaarn
2009-05-04, 02:51 PM

Either that or I'd be Kaela for a short period of time, his mind intrigues me.

I'm going to become a velociraptor for the sole purpose of showing up at Randall Munroe's (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randall_Munroe) house. If he doesn't answer the doorbell, I'm jumping through a window. :smalltongue:

And that's just plain mean...

chiasaur11
2009-05-04, 04:05 PM

Would you follow it up by visiting Brian Clevenger and babbling about crystals and mammal energies?

Illven
2009-05-04, 06:44 PM
I would choose to be Varrsuvius pre mental breakdown. Because being a 14th level evoker with a raven familiar would be awesome

Lupy
2009-05-04, 09:39 PM
I wouldn't switch.

If I had to though, I'd be Roland.

OverdrivePrime
2009-05-04, 11:47 PM
I'd want to spend an hour a week, every week, as Bruce Campbell, in the hope that his awesomeness radiates into my own life.