PDA

View Full Version : Epic feats from SRD not quite epic. [D&D 3.5]

Spiryt
2009-05-02, 10:12 AM
What title says.

It's always nice to have more feats to choose, and some epic feats are definetly not powerfull enough to be epic level only (especially compared to stuff from splatbooks).

I will post the list of epic feats that can easily be normal feats in my opinion.

I want to see what people think, and what should be the requirements of those feats - since must be epic dissapears, some certainly should have BaB or something like that as descrpition, and since they should be non epic, they're prerequisites should be lower.

ARMOR SKIN
Benefit: The character gains a +1 natural armor bonus to Armor Class, or his or her existing natural armor bonus increases by 1.
Special: A character can gain this feat multiple times. Its effects stack.

BANE OF ENEMIES
Prerequisites: Survival 18 ranks, four or more favored enemies.
Benefit: Any weapon the character wields against one of his or her favored enemies is treated as a bane weapon for that creature type (thus, its enhancement bonus is increased by +2 and it deals +2d6 points of damage). This ability doesn’t stack with similar abilities.

BLINDING SPEED
Prerequisite: Dex 21.
Benefit: The character can act as if hasted for 5 rounds each day. The duration of the effect need not be consecutive rounds. Activating this power is a free action.
Special: A character can gain this feat multiple times. Each time he or she takes the feat, it grants an additional 5 rounds of haste per day.
Comment : Maybe even more rounds per day? Seriously it's not at all powerful, Haste is 3rd spell, so there's plenty of potions etc.

DAMAGE REDUCTION
Prerequisite: Con 21.
Benefit: The character gains damage reduction 3/–. This does not stack with damage reduction granted by magic items or nonpermanent magical effects, but it does stack with any damage reduction granted by permanent magical effects, class features, or this feat itself.
Special: A character can gain this feat multiple times. Each time he or she gains the feat, his or her damage reduction increases by 3

DEXTEROUS FORTITUDE [EPIC]
Prerequisites: Dex 19, slippery mind class feature.
Benefit: Once per round, when targeted by an effect that requires a Fortitude saving throw, the character may make a Reflex save instead to avoid the effect (evasion is not applicable).

DEXTEROUS WILL [EPIC]
Prerequisites: Dex 19, slippery mind class feature.
Benefit: Once per round, when targeted by an effect that requires a Will saving throw, the character may make a Reflex save instead to avoid the effect (evasion is not applicable).

DIRE CHARGE
Prerequisite: Improved Initiative.
Benefit: If the character charges a foe during the first round of combat (or the surprise round, if the character is allowed to act in it), he or she can make a full attack against the opponent charged.
Normal: Without this feat, a character may only make a single attack as part of a charge. Comment: Not a bad way to get pounce, but since it's first round only it possibly could use something more, I'm not sure

EPIC DODGE
Prerequisites: Dex 19, Dodge, Tumble 15 ranks, evasion
Benefit: Once per round, when struck by an attack from an opponent the character has designated as the object of his or her dodge, the character may automatically avoid all damage from the attack.
Comment: Not sure about prerequisites and effect, maybe make it even lower level feat but reduce it to half damage ?

EPIC FORTITUDE
Benefit: The character gains a +4 bonus on all Fortitude saving throws.

EPIC PROWESS
Benefit: Gain a +1 bonus on all attacks.

EPIC REFLEXES
Benefit: The character gains a +4 bonus on all Reflex saving throws.

EPIC WILL
Benefit: The character gains a +4 bonus on all Will saving throws.
Comment: Probably add Lightning reflex etc to prerequisites, and maybe reduce bonus, dunno

GREAT CHARISMA
Benefit: The character’s Charisma increases by 1 point.

The rest of "Great Abilities" feats

HOLY STRIKE
Prerequisites: Smite evil class feature, any good alignment BaB 14
Benefit: Any weapon the character wields is treated as a holy weapon (is good-aligned and deals an extra 2d6 points of damage against creatures of evil alignment).If the weapon already has an alignment, this feat has no effect on the weapon.

IMPROVED LOW-LIGHT VISION
Prerequisite: Low-light vision.
Benefit: The range of the character’s low-light vision doubles. This feat does not stack with low-light vision granted by magic items or nonpermanent magical effects.
Special: This feat may be taken multiple times. Its effects stack. Remember that two doublings equals a tripling, and so on.

IMPROVED STUNNING FIST
Prerequisite: Dex 19, Wis 19, Improved Unarmed Strike, Stunning Fist.
Benefit: Add +2 to the DC of the character’s stunning attack.
Special: This feat may be taken multiple times. Its effects stack.

OVERWHELMING CRITICAL
Prerequisites: Str 19, Cleave, Improved Critical (chosen weapon), Power Attack, Weapon Focus (chosen weapon).
Benefit: When using the weapon the character has selected, he or she deals an extra 1d6 points of bonus damage on a successful critical hit. If the weapon’s critical multiplier is x3, add +2d6 points of bonus damage instead, and if the multiplier is x4, add +3d6 points of bonus damage instead. Creatures immune to critical hits can’t be affected by this feat.
Special: A character can gain this feat multiple times. Its effects do not stack. Each time a character takes the feat, it applies to a different type of weapon.

PERFECT HEALTH
Prerequisite: Con 19/B], Great Fortitude.
Benefit: The character is immune to all nonmagical diseases, as well as to all poisons whose Fortitude save DC is 25 or less.

TERRIFYING RAGE
Prerequisites: Intimidate 12 ranks, rage 3/day
Benefit: While you are raging, any enemy that views you must make a Will save opposed by your Intimidate check of become panicked (if it have HD less than your character level) or shaken (if it has HD equal to or up to twice your character level) for 4d6 rounds. An enemy with Hit Dice greater than twice your character level is not affected by this feat.

TWO-WEAPON REND
Prerequisites: Dex 15, base attack bonus +9, Improved Two-Weapon Fighting, Two-Weapon Fighting.
Benefit: If the character hits an opponent with a weapon in each hand in the same round, he or she may automatically rend the opponent. This deals additional damage equal to the base damage of the smaller weapon plus 1 1/2 times the character’s Strength modifier. Base weapon damage includes an enhancement bonus on damage, if any. The character can only rend once per round, regardless of how many successful attacks he or she makes.
[B]Comment: I believe it's already done by one of Complete books, but still

UNCANNY ACCURACY
Prerequisites: Dex 21, base attack bonus +11, Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Improved Precise Shot, Spot 12 ranks.
Benefit: The character’s ranged attacks ignore the miss chance granted to targets by total concealment. The character must aim his or her attacks at the correct square to gain advantage of this feat.
Normal: Without this feat, characters suffer a 50% miss chance when making a ranged attack against a target with total concealment.
Special: A character with at least 11 levels of ranger can qualify for this feat even if he or she does not have the prerequisites for it, but can only use it when wearing light or no armor.

I didn't touch metamagic feats, as I'm not good at this, not very interested, and casters don't need any more stuff.:smalltongue:

Dhavaer
2009-05-02, 10:23 AM
Armour Skin should have a Fortitude save requirement, maybe +8, letting a Fort-based class pick it up at level 12. Multiclassing could make that quicker, of course. Damage Reduction something similar.
Epic [save] should probably require the corresponding non-epic feat, so Great Fortitude for Epic Fortitude.
Rapid Assault from Tome of Battle might make a good prerequisite for Dire Charge.

Sinfire Titan
2009-05-02, 01:35 PM
I honestly feel that Epic Toughness is crap. It's weaker than Improved Toughness unless you take the feat twice, and if you do you just wasted two feats to get 60 HP. Those two feats could go towards becoming a god (IE Epic Spellcasting).

Fetas like Armor Skin and Epic Prowess just make me cry. The one DR feat is actually balanced for low-mid level play (the max you can get is DR 24), as DR can be ignored easily. The Fast Healing feat is damn good though.

Then you get feats like Improved Combat Reflexes (or whatever it is called). Those feats are actually Epic. Too bad they are so few in number.

I'd like to point out that Improved Whirlwind Attack sucks. I much more prefer Adamantine Hurricane to it, and AH is an 8th level strike. That's right, Warblades get something that makes an Epic feat cry at 15th level.

quick_comment
2009-05-02, 02:08 PM
The "useless" feats are for ultra-high level epic play. Your level 50 fighter just runs out of feats eventually, so you need something that he can take repeatedly.

Tsotha-lanti
2009-05-02, 02:48 PM
Pretty much the only epic feats worth anything are the ones to do with spellcasting, and out of those, Epic Spellcasting is infinitely better than all the others put together.

Yes, epic feats suck. D&D epic play sucks, in general.

InaVegt
2009-05-02, 03:00 PM
D&D epic play balance sucks, in general.

Fix'd it for ya.

Spiryt
2009-05-02, 03:01 PM
Pretty much the only epic feats worth anything are the ones to do with spellcasting

Yeah, that's way I'm homebrewing them to be non epic.

But I'm actually concerned about this one :

Epic Dodge [Epic]
Prerequisites
Dex 25, Dodge, Tumble 30 ranks, improved evasion, defensive roll class feature.
Benefit
Once per round, when struck by an attack from an opponent you have designated as the object of your dodge, you may automatically avoid all damage from the attack.

This is looks kinda potent for non epic feat, and I wonder how it should look
so it could be taken on lets say 12th level.

Zeful
2009-05-02, 03:08 PM
Blinding Speed: It's Ex haste, meaning it can't be shut down by anything save for paralysis or petrification. It really shouldn't be Epic though, 8th-10th level minimum sure.

And Epic advancement wasn't intended, it was simply tacked on to appease people who wanted to "play longer". Nothing is stopping your 20th level character from still influencing the game world, your just not going to advance further mechanically.

Riffington
2009-05-02, 03:08 PM
This is looks kinda potent for non epic feat, and I wonder how it should look
so it could be taken on lets say 12th level.

Superior Dodge
Dodge, Evasion.
Once per round, for a single attack made by the opponent you have designated as the target of your dodge, you may substitute a Tumble roll for your Armor Class. You must declare this before the attack is rolled.

Zeta Kai
2009-05-02, 03:20 PM
Yeah, that's way I'm homebrewing them to be non epic.

Well, I've heard why you think that epic feats should be de-epic-ed. But what do you plan to put in their place. What do you consider an epic feat to be, exactly?

Spiryt
2009-05-02, 03:32 PM
Well, I've heard why you think that epic feats should be de-epic-ed. But what do you plan to put in their place. What do you consider an epic feat to be, exactly?

I'll probably leave the rest of epic feats (not included in the list) as they are -as epic only.

It doesn't matter much to me anyway, as I don't plan on DMing (or playing) epic.

Zeta Kai
2009-05-02, 03:55 PM
I'll probably leave the rest of epic feats (not included in the list) as they are -as epic only.

It doesn't matter much to me anyway, as I don't plan on DMing (or playing) epic.

So, you plan to loot a system that you find flawed of feats that you don't really neat & plan to put nothing in it's place to fix the flaws you perceive to be there? :smallconfused:

The Rose Dragon
2009-05-02, 03:58 PM
D&D epic play balance sucks in general.

It's better this way.

Spiryt
2009-05-02, 04:06 PM
So, you plan to loot a system that you find flawed of feats that you don't really neat & plan to put nothing in it's place to fix the flaws you perceive to be there? :smallconfused:

I don't see your point.

There's a lot of epic feats.

Some of them are generally fine, but there's no real reason why they should be epic.

Therefore I will make them normal feats which characters can take.

Tequila Sunrise
2009-05-02, 07:24 PM
I agree that Armor Skin and similar feats (Epic Prowess) shouldn't exist at all. If the math isn't scaling well at high levels, the DM should be handing out free bonuses to everyone to fix it. [Or nerfing monsters.]

Also, there's no reason for PTWF to be an epic feat. Just word it like the other TWF feats and slap on a +16 BAB prereq and you have one more non-epic feat for rangers at least.

SurlySeraph
2009-05-02, 09:02 PM
Epic Weapon Focus always makes me laugh. +2 to attack isn't a huge deal even at fairly low levels. Spending an epic feat on it... well...

Spiryt
2009-05-03, 06:01 AM
Epic [save] should probably require the corresponding non-epic feat, so Great Fortitude for Epic Fortitude.

Indeed. But I also wonder if +4 bonus isn't to high?

Or maybe it's just OK considering that you have to spend two feats gaining it?

Mephit
2009-05-03, 06:08 AM
Indeed. But I also wonder if +4 bonus isn't to high?

Or maybe it's just OK considering that you have to spend two feats gaining it?

Take a look at Weapon Focus/Greater Weapon Focus: The bonuses are identical, but they stack.

So I'd tone it down to a +2, the same as Great Fortitude.

Talic
2009-05-03, 06:30 AM
EPIC DODGE
Prerequisites: Dex 19, Dodge, Tumble 15 ranks, evasion
Benefit: Once per round, when struck by an attack from an opponent the character has designated as the object of his or her dodge, the character may automatically avoid all damage from the attack.

Comment: Not sure about prerequisites and effect, maybe make it even lower level feat but reduce it to half damage ?

RESPONSE: There's an rogue special ability that allows for 1/2 damage hits already.

No, auto-miss once per round? That's solid. Especially if you have the feats that allow you to do things when attacks miss (5 foot step, for instance).

With the above 2 feats? You can pretty much take the wind out of many thing's sails, with proper positioning.

Sinfire Titan
2009-05-03, 07:46 AM
@ Epic Dodge: PH2 has a variant of that, and Dragon Mag has one that works against anyone using Power Attack.

Roderick_BR
2009-05-03, 04:09 PM
Agreed, a lot of these feats should be pre-epic. Take Spellcaster Harrier, for example. It was transformed into Mageslayer in one of the complete books, pre-epic, less requisites, and even some more better stuff.

Two feats worth putting pre-epic: Overwhelming and Destructive Critical. Put improved requiring BaB +6 (instead of +8), overwhelming requiring BaB +12, and Destructive requiring BaB +18, maybe some power attack feats, and you got a nice set of abilities for high level meelers.

Volkov
2009-05-03, 04:59 PM
I honestly feel that Epic Toughness is crap. It's weaker than Improved Toughness unless you take the feat twice, and if you do you just wasted two feats to get 60 HP. Those two feats could go towards becoming a god (IE Epic Spellcasting).

Fetas like Armor Skin and Epic Prowess just make me cry. The one DR feat is actually balanced for low-mid level play (the max you can get is DR 24), as DR can be ignored easily. The Fast Healing feat is damn good though.

Then you get feats like Improved Combat Reflexes (or whatever it is called). Those feats are actually Epic. Too bad they are so few in number.

I'd like to point out that Improved Whirlwind Attack sucks. I much more prefer Adamantine Hurricane to it, and AH is an 8th level strike. That's right, Warblades get something that makes an Epic feat cry at 15th level.

I made Epic improved toughness which gives +10 hp per HD, it's definitely epic. Epic improved summoning, +20 str, dex, and con bonus for your summons.

Volkov
2009-05-03, 05:03 PM
It's better this way.

snaps rose dragon's neck, destroys his soul, kills all of it's relative's, and obliterates everything it has ever done.