PDA

View Full Version : Swordsage Skills

Zhalath
2009-05-02, 10:38 AM
The Swordsage entry in ToB says that Swordsages get 6+IntX6 skill points at first level. Now, this smacks of something funny, because other classes only have X4 skill points at 1st level. I had an argument with one of my players because he wants to play a swordsage, and wants the skill points, but I said they were inaccurate, and supposed to be something else. Is there a solution to this?

Morty
2009-05-02, 10:40 AM
I seem to recall reading somewhere that it's actually a typo. It seems likely, as there's no reason a class not focused on skills should get a different multiplier.

Shades of Gray
2009-05-02, 10:40 AM
It has most likely been errated. Similar to the way that if you take a certain level of the vigilante class you get 0 3rd level spells but 33 4th level spells.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-05-02, 10:57 AM
It has most likely been errated. Similar to the way that if you take a certain level of the vigilante class you get 0 3rd level spells but 33 4th level spells. Or the 1d43 scorpion whip. Though there is no errata for ToB, it is indeed most likely a typo, since no other class in the game gets the benefit, including no other ToBers, and it's not mentioned anywhere in the statblock.

kyoten
2009-05-02, 11:40 AM
It's times 4 NOT 6!

http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=683775

Faulty
2009-05-02, 11:48 AM
It's times 4 NOT 6!

http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=683775

I figured as much, but it seems kinda silly that a class whose attacks are based on skills would only have 4+Int. That doesn't leave room for the new Martial Lore skill, either.

Riffington
2009-05-02, 11:51 AM
I figured as much, but it seems kinda silly that a class whose attacks are based on skills would only have 4+Int. That doesn't leave room for the new Martial Lore skill, either.

No, no, it's 6+Int. But it's x4 at first level, not x6.

Chronos
2009-05-02, 12:45 PM
Is there a solution to this?Yes, there is. You tell the player "no". There is no problem in the entire game which cannot be solved this way.

Oh, and while we're at it, there's a typo in the BAB column of the class table, too. I really have to wonder how it was possible for these errors to creep in... You'd think that WotC would have pre-made templates for creating new classes.

Josh the Aspie
2009-05-02, 12:52 PM
Well yes, but as we all know, many of the templates WotC/T$R generated early on stink when applied to things with class levels. =^_^=

Curmudgeon
2009-05-02, 02:59 PM
This item has not been covered in either errata or the FAQ; by RAW, it's a x6 multiplier.

Because it's almost certainly a typo, just impose a house rule that makes it the standard x4 multiplier. Simple enough.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-05-02, 03:11 PM
This item has not been covered in either errata or the FAQ; by RAW, it's a x6 multiplier.

Because it's almost certainly a typo, just impose a house rule that makes it the standard x4 multiplier. Simple enough.I don't even think that's a house rule. Text trumps table, Primary source trumps secondary. I'm sure there's a line in the PHB somewhere saying 'characters gain 4x their normal skill points on 1st level'.

Chronos
2009-05-02, 04:50 PM
I don't even think that's a house rule. Text trumps table, Primary source trumps secondary. I'm sure there's a line in the PHB somewhere saying 'characters gain 4x their normal skill points on 1st level'.Yes, but also specific trumps general. Still, if it were intended that way, there'd be some mention of it in the body of the class description.

Zhalath
2009-05-02, 07:08 PM
Me and the player compromised, and gave the Swordsage 8+Intx4 Skill points. This seemed to work for everyone, as he gets more skills, and I don't have to put up with paperwork headaches.

D&D books seriously need better editing.

Sinfire Titan
2009-05-02, 07:45 PM
It has most likely been errated. Similar to the way that if you take a certain level of the vigilante class you get 0 3rd level spells but 33 4th level spells.

Tome of Battle's errata is a joke. It stops mid-sentence on the third item, and doesn't even cover class features.

monty
2009-05-02, 09:42 PM
Tome of Battle's errata is a joke. It stops mid-sentence on the third item, and doesn't even cover class features.

Isn't that the one that turns into the Complete Arcane errata halfway through or something like that?

Keld Denar
2009-05-02, 10:31 PM
Isn't that the one that turns into the Complete Arcane errata halfway through or something like that?

Complete Mage...and yea.

Faulty
2009-05-02, 10:54 PM
No, no, it's 6+Int. But it's x4 at first level, not x6.

Oh, duh. Sorry.

Sinfire Titan
2009-05-03, 07:47 AM

Complete Mage. It wasn't even April Fools...

Faleldir
2009-05-03, 09:01 AM
Was it ever officially said how many times you can use Snap Kick in a round?

Sinfire Titan
2009-05-03, 10:12 AM
Was it ever officially said how many times you can use Snap Kick in a round?

They skipped the feats entirely. Went straight to maneuvers, and didn't even finish 3 full maneuvers before skipping to CM.