PDA

View Full Version : 4e Spellbook and Alchemist

falconflicker
2009-05-02, 12:59 PM
How do the Wizard's Spellbook class feature (which grants 3 rituals at 1st level and 2 every five levels thereafter) behave if the Alchemist feat replaces the Ritual Caster feat using the Alchemist feat's special?

For now, I'm just doing a word-swap of ritual to formula, but that doesn't seem to balance very well to me. Any ruilings?

Asbestos
2009-05-02, 07:22 PM
Seems fine, why do you think its unbalanced? Formula cost less than rituals don't they?

falconflicker
2009-05-02, 07:59 PM
Rituals each have a specific level, as do alchemical items, but formulas do not, each formula can create alchemical items of several different levels.

NPCMook
2009-05-02, 09:59 PM
Formulas is basically enchant Magical Item, except for specific items, and you have to be at that level or above to craft that item, so while you can have the formula for a level 10 potion, you can't do squat with it till level 10. Its pretty much the same thing for Rituals

Kurald Galain
2009-05-04, 06:08 AM
For now, I'm just doing a word-swap of ritual to formula, but that doesn't seem to balance very well to me. Any ruilings?

That's probably what RAI is, yes.

Personally I'd give him twice that amount of recipes, because alchemy is enough of a money sink already.

The problem is not that each formula can create alchemical items of several different levels; the problem is that this makes low-level items useless while keeping level-appropriate items extremely expensive.