PDA

View Full Version : Incredible Rolls---But What to Play?

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-05-02, 02:46 PM
Well, I've just rolled the best set of ability scores I have ever received, and I'm at a loss on what to use them for. The campaign in question starts at level 3, with no limits on race or class (homebrew or otherwise).

Not usually a problem. But I rolled the following: 18, 18, 17, 17, 17, 16, and have no idea how to best use these scores. Any and all suggestions are welcome, but try to keep the insane multiclassing down, please. :smallbiggrin:

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-05-02, 02:50 PM
Paladin.

Really, those are great for any MAD class. Gish, Duskchord, Master of 9(build multiclassing 3 martial adepts), pretty much anything can work with those. Pick a concept, any concept, and it can be modled.

Naleh
2009-05-02, 02:56 PM
Holy crap.

I expect you could powergame a monk with that.

HailDiscordia
2009-05-02, 02:59 PM
Go with the monk. He gets no love but with those scores he can really shine. The monk can actually take advantage of a bunch of high scores. Help the poor guy out.

Chronos
2009-05-02, 03:08 PM
Monk/Paladin/Duelist. For when you really want to go MAD.

Magnor Criol
2009-05-02, 03:24 PM
Or you could go with a SAD class like Wiz or Sorc, and put your lowest stat in your primary ability...and still shine. =p

A rogue with stats like that would be sickeningly good, I think.

Or, heck - choose bard! They're fun to play, and those stats counter their lack of focus quite well. Put the 18s in Cha and Int, two of the 17s in Wis and Con, and then whichever you want for Dex or Str. You'll be a skill monkeying, smooth talking, butt kicking bard about town.

SurlySeraph
2009-05-02, 03:37 PM
Whatever class you choose, take a few racial paragon levels. I mean, with stats like those you ARE a paragon of your race; why not embrace that?

Adumbration
2009-05-02, 03:39 PM
Take a single level of all base classes.

You know you want to.

HeavySleeper
2009-05-02, 03:48 PM
Monk, Soulknife...anything normally abysmal that your amazing stats can make passable. Or whatever else you want to, really. Just pick a concept and build it, because with those stats, anything is functional.

Shadowbane
2009-05-02, 03:49 PM
I say Paladin.

TheThan
2009-05-02, 04:20 PM
Monks are good
Paladins are good

But if you really wanna run amok, try a full orc barbarian.

That’s right, 22 str 16 dex, 18 con, 15 int, wisdom and charisma. You’re the strongest, toughest, smartest, wisest and sexiest orc in existence.

Baalthazaq
2009-05-02, 04:47 PM
Anything works, but I'd take either a druid cleric or monk just because they're fun.

grautry
2009-05-02, 04:53 PM
I'd go with Cleric.

It's one of the most uber classes around even without incredible stats. And you benefit from almost every single one. Clerics like melee - you've got the strength and the con for that. Charisma helps your Turn Undead abilities and anything derivative of that. Intelligence actually allows for you to acquire some skill points. Wisdom is self-explanatory. The only stat that is relatively unimportant is Dexterity because of the heavy armour penalty.

Otherwise, you're both golden power-wise and you utilize your MAD very effectively.

Vortling
2009-05-02, 04:55 PM
I suggest Factotum and then PrC into Chameleon at 9th level. You'll be able to play whatever type of character you want each different day.

Animefunkmaster
2009-05-02, 05:12 PM
While a random pile of awesome is never a bad thing, I would still play a Wizard... maybe throw in paladin2 or sword sage2 or battledancer1/monk1 for kicks and gish it up.

Maristyl
2009-05-02, 05:38 PM
Be a catfolk, especially with those rolls. 1 level adjustment for +4 dex, +2 cha, +1 nat armor, +2 in listen and move silently and a base 40 move speed. Then a rogue or scout, you have enough skill points to max out 11 skills to begin with so you can do everything, nothing will be able to hit you with a 22 dex and that extra +1 nat armor, you'll hit fairly hard with a 18 strength. A catfolk monk works well too. A catfolk sorcerer does as well given that you have a 20 cha, a 22 dex and that 1 nat armor a ton of con based HP and a lot of skill points for a sorcerer. A catfolk paladin would work as well, wear something lighter then full plate, especially in mithril and you're dodgy, with great saves.

Bayar
2009-05-02, 05:47 PM
Paladin 2/Sorcerer X venerable loredrake dragonwrought Kobold cheese.

BobVosh
2009-05-02, 05:52 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88633
Do everything.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.

RTGoodman
2009-05-02, 05:54 PM
I'd definitely go for a Paladin or maybe Paladin/Monk. I mean, why not? Heck, make him an Orc - he still won't be BAD! :smallbiggrin:

Flickerdart
2009-05-02, 06:00 PM
Play a Fallen Paladin/Ronin/Ex Bard, Monk and Barbarian/Ex-Cleric and Druid. This guy tried everything and decided that the path was for losers. So he peed in the god's sacred fountain or whatever and left after teaching everyone and their mother Druidic, killing his liege lord and so forth.

SoD
2009-05-02, 06:26 PM
Play a grig barbarian/frenzied beserker. You know you want to. Come on, it'll be fun!

ErrantX
2009-05-02, 06:53 PM
Homebrew or otherwise, eh?

Stats like that you really can do anything. And not to toot my own horn or anything, but if I had stats like that, I'd actually be dying to play a class that I wrote up, Knight of the Righteous Choir (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5865999).

Bard 1 / Paladin 4 / Bard +1 / Choir Knight 5 / Sublime Chord 2 / Choir Knight +5 / Mystic Theurge 2. Take Battle Blessing (Complete Champion) to cast paladin spells as a swift action, Battlecaster (Complete Arcane) to wear Medium armor and cast in it without penalty, and of course Devoted Performer (Complete Adventurer) at level 3 as it's kind of a prereq :D I think it would be a incredibly fun character to play.

-X

herrhauptmann
2009-05-02, 08:59 PM
Half celestial/fiend/dragon.
Minimum of +2 to every stat. :)
I support the monk idea, mostly because there's no appreciation for the monk on these boards.

kemmotar
2009-05-02, 09:07 PM
I also support monk...you could make it amazing with those rolls...try goliath monk with superior unarmed strike and improved natural attack (last time i checked all of the benefits stacked, at least my DM allowed it). Also try throwing in swordsage for high constant AC (both monk and swordsage wis to ac is untyped, or at least the swordsage is untyped and the monk's is intuition) but that depends on the DM. Monk's belt and (I think) there's also something in the tatooed monk about boosting your unarmed damage die(2nd level i think)...maybe add a little kensai for kicks:smalltongue:

another choice is a rogue, you could be a skill monkey and a fighting rogue at the same time with those stats...and a pretty damn good one at that...

Also, since you already got high stats capitalize on them with extras...

Llama231
2009-05-02, 09:16 PM
Wizard.

You know you want to.

Otherwise pick monk like everyone else says, or go for commo0ner for the lulz.

Vexxation
2009-05-02, 09:35 PM
Also try throwing in swordsage for high constant AC (both monk and swordsage wis to ac is untyped, or at least the swordsage is untyped and the monk's is intuition)

By RAW, Swordsage Wisdom-to-AC works only while they wear light armor. Inversely, the monk's works only when unarmored. The two cannot be active at the same time.

Charlie Kemek
2009-05-02, 09:38 PM
CHAMELEON!!! YOU CAN AND DESERVE TO BE EVERYTHING WITH THOSE STATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11!!!1!

or monk, or MT, or ET, or whatever the heck you want

Fishy
2009-05-02, 09:49 PM
Yeah, that's a Paladin/Monk.

Elven Paladin/Monk with the Ranged Smite substitution from Races of the Wild. MAD Ridiculousness + Ranged Combat = love.

Bluebeard
2009-05-02, 09:56 PM
Monk 2/Truenamer 2/Marshal 1/Chameleon 10/Iajitsu Master 5
The best of all worlds.

I remember some of the Truenaming spells actually being pretty good.
Chameleon should be able to access most -- if not all -- of them.

ErrantX
2009-05-02, 10:15 PM
By RAW, Swordsage Wisdom-to-AC works only while they wear light armor. Inversely, the monk's works only when unarmored. The two cannot be active at the same time.

Yeah, but what DM is going to penalize you for not wearing armor? I think they simply made a small error in their class feature. I've always run it as Unarmored or Light armor, myself. I'm sure that's the spirit of the rules and their intentions.

Also, I don't think you can add the same stat twice to your armor class.

-X

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-05-02, 10:40 PM
Yeah, but what DM is going to penalize you for not wearing armor? I think they simply made a small error in their class feature. I've always run it as Unarmored or Light armor, myself. I'm sure that's the spirit of the rules and their intentions.

-XRAW, Monk and SS don't stack due to them not being able to be active at the same time. RAI, Monk and SS don't stack due to the SS being obviously designed as a replacement Monk(look at the Unarmed variant). You can add the same stat to AC 2x, but not with those 2.

Draz74
2009-05-02, 11:12 PM
I liked the suggestion of Warblade/Swordsage/Crusader. Then you really can take advantage of all good scores.

Or if you're wanting to play an underpowered class and use your scores to make up for normal weaknesses, instead of a Monk/Paladin, go Dragon Shaman. You'll have enough Charisma to be a healer, enough Strength for some melee oomph, and enough Constitution to keep your breath weapon scary. And you'll actually get some skill points, and Dex and Wis high doesn't hurt anything either.

ErrantX
2009-05-02, 11:38 PM
As far as Monk/Paladins go, in the Faiths of Eberron book there is a monk-paladin hybrid called the Argent Fist which isn't half bad.

Gives you some good synergy.

-X

RTGoodman
2009-05-03, 12:23 AM

You certainly can as long as they're not the same type of bonus (deflection, enhancement, whatever) and they come from different sources. The famous and ever-useful X Stat to Y Bonus (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=320889) thread gives you at least a few ways to add Con to AC, almost a dozen ways to add Int, a handful of ways for Wis, and a TON for Cha.

As far as Monk/Paladins go, in the Faiths of Eberron book there is a monk-paladin hybrid called the Argent Fist which isn't half bad.

Not to mention the Battle Blessing feat from Complete Champion - that really gives you a use for your Swift Actions each round!

FMArthur
2009-05-03, 01:13 AM
Play a chameleon. Anything else can be done almost as well by a character with only a couple good scores - the classes that can make use of all of them are few and far between and chameleon's the only one I can think of where it's actually worthwhile to use all of them. Either play the PrC with a factotum base, or play your homebrew (or mine if your peers don't want you using something of your own creation :smallwink:).

Harperfan7
2009-05-03, 04:15 PM
Monk or Paladin. I would go with monk.

FinalJustice
2009-05-03, 04:44 PM
Which such an array, I'd strive for as much as I could pack versatility. Thus, I second the whole the Factotum/Chameleon crowd. If taken to the 20th level, I'd finish it with 2~3 levels of ToB. Probably warblade due to int sinergy, but with these stats, what the hell, any will do. This way you'd pack Factotum awesomeness, Chameleon dual casting, floating feat, stat boosts AND some mid-level maneuvers. Talk about party in a can.

Graymayre
2009-05-03, 05:00 PM
Wow...

Monk / Paladin

There is a feat in the ECS that let you use a longsword as a monk weapon. Take that and flurry paladin win! It will be hilariously fun.

Though, Factotum / Chameleon is still a much better choice. I'd rather go with the MAD hatter, simply for the lulz.

tcrudisi
2009-05-03, 11:25 PM
Well, I like the aforementioned Monk/Paladin idea. Also, something like a Swashbuckler/Duelist would work well (AC 80+ at level 20? Yes, please. Roll save or die? Crap, I knew I should have played a Monk/Paladin.)

Also, I'm biased: Beguiler. Screw PRC's. Just a Beguiler. I know, most of the stats go to waste, but who cares? You would be a Beguiler. Beguiler = win.

Or a Beguiler/Rainbow Servant. All cleric spells as spells known + all spells known able to be cast spontaneously? Very nice. I always wanted to do this but never got to play in a high enough level game.

Like several people have said, however, with stats like that, it does not matter. You can pull off anything. Also, the next time I have to roll a character, would you do me the honor? I often have to reroll because I don't get the mandatory +1 overall bonus.

Killer Angel
2009-05-04, 02:14 AM
...and this is one of the reasons I hate rolling stats.
I can understand that (if our game were a real world) not every adventurer in a group should have the same "potential", but when you have such a devastating serie and one of the other player has a crappy one, you start with a serious inbalance in the group. VERY heavy, at low levels.

That said, I agree with the idea of a monk or paladin. Let's shine the MAD classes!

BWM
2009-05-04, 02:58 AM
Take some levels aristocrat!! You'll have the ability scores to become arrogant (or at least have some sense of superiority) and it'll give you the title to back it up!

Deepblue706
2009-05-04, 03:13 AM
Complete Warrior Samurai.

You can totally do it.