PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder: Skills

GoatToucher
2009-05-02, 09:46 PM
I've been perusing the Pathfinder beta (and liking what I am seeing, overall) but I am a little hazy on skills. I will explain:

You get a +3 bonus to any class skill that you are trained in. Out of class skills only cost one skill point, but you don't get the bonus. Accordingly, you don't get 4(class + int bonus) skill points at first level.

Hopefully I am clear so far. My question is: What is the maximum for skill ranks? Is there one? If so, what is it (and kindly reference the page, if its not too much trouble).

Thanks for the help.

[edit: So I of course just now found the answer to my question (max ranks = character level) Thanks anyway]

arguskos
2009-05-02, 09:49 PM
Max ranks in any given skill is equal to your total HD. Says so on pg 52 of the Beta.

theMycon
2009-05-02, 10:26 PM
Relatedly, should it ever come up...

There are some PrCs that require a certain number of ranks in a skill to gain. Somewhere, in the "skills" section of the book, they mention the conversion.

It is, however, exactly what you'd expect, to keep the level the same. "Subtract three. If it's not a class skill, double that."
However, since this new system eliminates the problem with "class skill in one class, not in another", since you keep the 3 point bonus... this wording leaves a few unanswered questions. However, since you can't forget training, I'd say either use the "class skill" value, or the value from your favored class.