PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy 3.5E supplement.

raidzuo
2009-05-02, 10:05 PM
100 pages of accurate monster, items, spell, and ability conversions from the Final Fantasy series; V through X2, and FFT; to 3.5 D&D rules. This is not a stand-alone system; it is designed to supplement already existing Dungeons & Dragons material.

MATERIAL REQUIRED
Player's Handbook I & II, Dungeon Master's Guide, Complete Adventurer (for Ninja core class), Complete Warrior (for Samurai Core class), http://www.d20srd.org (for epic feats), Arms and Equipment guide (for exotic weapon feat: Gun)

Download PDF (http://raidzuo.deviantart.com/art/FF3-5e-40917580)

http://img113.imageshack.us/img113/5461/ff35esupplement.jpg

Zeta Kai
2009-05-03, 01:39 AM
Greetings, & welcome to the forums, Raidzuo. This comes as a pleasant surprise. One usually doesn't see a new homebrewer on the forums with so much work under their belt. I'm quite impressed.

As you may or may not know, I myself have done a similar project, Final Fantasy X D20 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4260468#post4260468). I'm sure you'll be as pleased as I am to find out that our projects are nothing alike. Yours is about as extensive as my own, & considerably more polished, so my hat's off to you, sir.

Having read your PDF (well, thoroughly skimmed it, really), I have to say that I like your approach. You've done some things that I wouldn't have, & I'm on record elsewhere saying that a comprehensive FF game is a fool's errand, but overall, you've done an admirable job meshing the FF multiverse into one coherent game world. Kudos.

Well, I'm sure that I'll have for extensive comments once I read this in greater depth. But at first impression, I must say that I'm pleasantly surprised. Welcome aboard, & I hope to see more of your work.

zagan
2009-05-03, 08:34 AM
While i'm not really qualified to comment, i still like to say great work. It's very impressive.
I really like the faq it answered my question without problem.

I hope you will update us on your progress, I'm particulary impatient to see the Blue mage PRC.

Karma Guard
2009-05-03, 09:23 AM
I like this. There's a couple things that need glossing, or review (Burmecians are rat people, not fox people, for example, and the wording for the Moogle's daily Prestidigitation is really strange), but the fact that you have this all done and pretty in a PDF is really neat.

Edit: there's also a lot of misplaced apostrophes.

I mention this stuff because I want it to look even better and more polished; not to be mean, so don't take it that way.

What did you use to put the PDF together? If I could, I'd offer to help edit out the grammar problems.

raidzuo
2009-05-03, 12:28 PM
I'm sure you'll be as pleased as I am to find out that our projects are nothing alike. Yours is about as extensive as my own, & considerably more polished, so my hat's off to you, sir.

Oh wow. I want to steal some of this :smallsmile:

raidzuo
2009-05-03, 12:33 PM
I like this. There's a couple things that need glossing, or review (Burmecians are rat people, not fox people, for example, and the wording for the Moogle's daily Prestidigitation is really strange), but the fact that you have this all done and pretty in a PDF is really neat.

Edit: there's also a lot of misplaced apostrophes.

I mention this stuff because I want it to look even better and more polished; not to be mean, so don't take it that way.

What did you use to put the PDF together? If I could, I'd offer to help edit out the grammar problems.

I'm using openoffice 3.0 (http://download.openoffice.org/contribute.html?download=bouncer&product%3DOpenOffice.org%26os%3Dwinwjre%26lang%3De n-US%26version%3D3.0.1)

I would be insanely grateful if you did this for me.

Karma Guard
2009-05-04, 01:41 AM
I'm using openoffice 3.0 (http://download.openoffice.org/contribute.html?download=bouncer&product%3DOpenOffice.org%26os%3Dwinwjre%26lang%3De n-US%26version%3D3.0.1)

I would be insanely grateful if you did this for me.

<_> I have no idea how to make Openoffice do what I want to do (ie alter the pdf)

Really, your best bet is to go over it yourself or get someone with time to look-see it. It's all pretty much technical wording or plain old sloppy apostrophes.

raidzuo
2009-05-04, 02:29 AM
<_> I have no idea how to make Openoffice do what I want to do (ie alter the pdf)

Really, your best bet is to go over it yourself or get someone with time to look-see it. It's all pretty much technical wording or plain old sloppy apostrophes.

That's because you can't edit a pdf. The original file is a openoffice document.

Another_Poet
2009-05-05, 01:53 PM
Hi Raidzuo. Thank you for posting this!

I assume you are looking for comment and I would urge a rewrite of the opening notice (page 2 iof the pdf). It sounds like you're apologising for a crappy pdf, when in fact your pdf is quite useful and full of interesting stuff.

You currently have it worded like this (trouble parts in red):

WARNING

This document is a reference for you to pick and choose from. The intent
behind it's creation is to accurately convert abilities, gear, monsters and spells into the 'Dungeons & Dragons' campaign setting while making the least amount of compromises possible. Because of this, most of what you'll find is overpowered, unbalanced, redundant and/or underwhelming. This is not a design oversight. This is done to preserve 'Final Fantasy' content as it was originally intended.

This document is not a campaign setting or stand alone system. It is simply a collection of conversions that supplement existing WoTC material. Keep in mind that this is the effort of a single entity - me. Therefore much of the rules have mistakes, and the descriptions are flavorless and mostly incoherant. Many of the sections are unfinished and much of what you'll read won't make complete sense. I've temporarily addressed this problem by providing wiki links in each section.

If you'd like to help send your suggestions to: [email protected]. Please remember that the intent of this document is to convert material accurately; not balance it in a way so that it works perfectly on it's own.

Ouch. I have to be honest, that warning puts me off so much that if it weren't posted by a fellow playgrounder I would've stopped reading right away. Who wants to read something the author admits is "incoherant"?

But it isn't incoherent. It's actually pretty good. I'd suggest a rewrite to the effect of:

NOTICE

This document is a reference for you to pick and choose from. The intent behind it's creation is to accurately convert abilities, gear, monsters and spells into the Dungeons and Dragons 3.5 Edition ruleset while making the least amount of compromises possible. Because of this, much of what you'll find strays from the normal power curve of a Dungeons and Dragons game. Any given item or ability may not balance well with core Dungeons and Dragons material. This is a conscious design decision meant to preserve Final Fantasy content as it was originally intended. Final Fantasy and Dungeons and Dragons are very different games, and game masters should give careful consideration before mixing a few rules from this document into an otherwise non-Final Fantasy adventure.

This document is not a campaign setting or stand alone system. It is simply a collection of conversions that supplement existing WoTC material. Keep in mind that this is the effort of a single author, and is still a work in progress. To make all rules as clear as possible the document includes wiki links in each section.

If you'd like to help send your suggestions to: [email protected]. Please remember that the intent of this document to convert material so that a Final Fantasy game can come to life on the tabletop using familiar Dungeons and Dragons concepts. Taken in that spirit, I hope it provides many hours of fun!

Again, it's just a suggestion, but the first rule of marketing is not to knock your own product. And even for a free pdf, good marketing never hurts :)

raidzuo
2009-05-05, 03:46 PM
Again, it's just a suggestion, but the first rule of marketing is not to knock your own product. And even for a free pdf, good marketing never hurts :)

OMG THANK YOU :smallfurious:

Viladin454
2009-05-17, 08:07 PM
Welcome back, Raidzuo. I almost thought you gave up. As usual, your graphics are superb. Even better than your previous PDF.

Debihuman
2009-05-17, 09:09 PM
It's a very nice pdf and the rules look good too!
Debby

Darkkwalker
2009-05-18, 03:01 AM
nice PDF. Needs more from FF V and VI though.
Personal preferance.

raidzuo
2009-05-19, 03:03 AM
Welcome back, Raidzuo. I almost thought you gave up. As usual, your graphics are superb. Even better than your previous PDF.

We played 4th edition for awhile. *shudders*. Thanks.

raidzuo
2009-05-19, 03:04 AM
nice PDF. Needs more from FF V and VI though.
Personal preferance.

Agreed. I need to get a copy of 5. I played it once when I was in elementary school and don't remember much.

Devils_Advocate
2009-05-19, 09:40 PM
Interesting. From the looks of it, this provides loads of rules, but no setting detail.

And that ain't a bad thing. This looks like an extremely handy source to mine for crunch to plug into any Final-Fantasy-inspired setting.

Shalizar
2009-05-21, 09:19 PM
Wow. I am truly blown away by this. I haven't read through it in detail, but from what I saw, it looked very well thought out and well made. I have seen people try and make Final Fantasy compatible with D&D, and I have even tried here and there, but this is quite the best I have ever seen.

PumpkinEater
2009-05-25, 02:17 PM
This looks really good!

I found a few mistakes in the Races section, though, while I was skimming through.

In the table, it says that the Burmecians have ++2Dex (an extra plus sign, and no space! Gasp!), and -2 Wisdom, while it is later stated under the Burmecian entry that they recieve +2 Dexterity and -2 Strength. Also, Burmecian is put before the Bangaa, and I'm assuming that this is supposed to be in alphabetical order.

There are actually a bunch of mistakes like that! :P Just pointing them out so that you can fix them if you want.

For example, in the table, Bangaa get -2 Charisma, but the entry says that they recieve -2 Wisdom. In the table, Viera get +2 Dexterity, but the entry says that they get +4 Dexterity, and so on. Also, "No Mou" / "Nu Mou" is misspelt in the table.

raidzuo
2009-05-29, 04:53 PM
This looks really good!

I found a few mistakes in the Races section, though, while I was skimming through.

In the table, it says that the Burmecians have ++2Dex (an extra plus sign, and no space! Gasp!), and -2 Wisdom, while it is later stated under the Burmecian entry that they recieve +2 Dexterity and -2 Strength. Also, Burmecian is put before the Bangaa, and I'm assuming that this is supposed to be in alphabetical order.

There are actually a bunch of mistakes like that! :P Just pointing them out so that you can fix them if you want.

For example, in the table, Bangaa get -2 Charisma, but the entry says that they recieve -2 Wisdom. In the table, Viera get +2 Dexterity, but the entry says that they get +4 Dexterity, and so on. Also, "No Mou" / "Nu Mou" is misspelt in the table.

sweeeet thanks. I will get around to it soon. I'm wrapped up in a new game right now.

Zeta Kai
2009-05-29, 08:15 PM
sweeeet thanks. I will get around to it soon. I'm wrapped up in a new game right now.

Are you playing a new game, or are you converting a new game? :smallamused:

PumpkinEater
2009-05-29, 08:50 PM

Yes. You should go through the Races chapter when you get the chance :) As I said, I found a bunch of mistakes (I remember one race had adjustments of like... 2 Strength, and -2 Dexterity (yeah, 2 strength, not - or +2 strength). I haven't read any of the other chapters, though, mainly because my Adobe reader thingie is dead slow...

raidzuo
2009-06-01, 10:09 PM
Are you playing a new game, or are you converting a new game? :smallamused:

I'm making a new game. My brain just doesn't have any more room for the thousands of pages of material released every 4-5 years. My game has 1 page of core rules and the rest of the rules are on cards. Yay.