PDA

View Full Version : nonlethal damage

Fjolnir
2009-05-02, 11:33 PM
is there a way to enhance it beyond a mere magic weapon +1-5? I can't seem to find an enhancement that deals bonus nonlethal damage (I understand it's a bit weak but I kinda was looking to make my beguiler a "control their minds first, then try to knock them out, then if all else fails make them die" type of character, he will have a normal damage weapon but I wanted to see if there was an enhancement for it beyond the basic one)

monty
2009-05-02, 11:38 PM
You want merciful (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicWeapons.htm#merciful).

sonofzeal
2009-05-02, 11:39 PM
Is this (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicWeapons.htm#merciful) what you want?

(edit - ninja'd!)

Fjolnir
2009-05-02, 11:41 PM
Thanks, it's exactly what I was looking for, though currently too rich for my blood it's going to be something I save up for

sonofzeal
2009-05-02, 11:49 PM
There's also a feat from BoED that turns all (melee?) weapon damage into nonlethal.

mohdri
2009-05-03, 08:07 PM
Actually, "Subduing Strike" from BoED allows you to ignore the -4 penalty for dealing non-lethal damage with a lethal weapon. You can chose to do either (one of the few things that's moderatly OK in the BoED IMO). But I think I would save up for the "Merciful" weapon, as "Subduing Strike" (as sonofzeal is correct about) is melee only. "Merciful" can be put on a melee or ranged weapon, and suppressed on command (probably a standard action) and does extra (non-lethal) damage. You should be able to get it at or around 6th level (8000 gp base, but probably worth it). Use the feat for somthing else.

Zhalath
2009-05-03, 08:25 PM
RotW had bludgeoning arrows, that dealt nonlethal damage, just in case you want nonlethal at range.

metalbear
2009-05-04, 02:06 PM
While it is not an enchantment, their is the truncheon from the BoED. It does 1d8 nonleathal damage as opposed to the sap's 1d6. Not much of an imporvement, but its something.

Riffington
2009-05-04, 02:19 PM
While it is not an enchantment, their is the truncheon from the BoED. It does 1d8 nonleathal damage as opposed to the sap's 1d6. Not much of an imporvement, but its something.

Also it isn't light, so you can 2-hand it, power attack properly, etc.

Devils_Advocate
2009-05-06, 12:22 AM
I'm surprised that the merciful weapon property doesn't seem to be very popular. Taking enemies alive can be all sorts of useful, even if you're Evil. Heck, maybe especially if you're Evil. :smallamused:

You don't even have to give up the standard +1d6 damage, and it's more flexible than the other options for that. Imagine a flaming sword that turned all of the damage it did into fire damage.

monty
2009-05-06, 12:25 AM
Taking enemies alive can be all sorts of useful, even if you're Evil. Heck, maybe especially if you're Evil. :smallamused:

And thus was born the horribly broken sacrifice system in BoVD.

Talic
2009-05-06, 12:27 AM
In all fairness, living captives are useful in ways that don't involve sacrificing them.

There's also hostage situations.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-05-06, 12:30 AM
In all fairness, living captives are useful in ways that don't involve sacrificing them.

There's also hostage situations.And slave armies.

Zeful
2009-05-06, 12:31 AM

There's also hostage situations.

Interrogation, entertainment, slaves.

Talic
2009-05-06, 12:48 AM
Interrogation, entertainment, slaves.

If you're using enemies powerful enough to not use your minions to round up, don't be surprised when you have problems due to "entertainment" and "slaves".

Devils_Advocate
2009-05-07, 02:30 PM
Turning the hero into part of your personal staff, and making him serve you food or put on shows in order to humiliate him, seems like the sort of thing that would be mentioned on the Evil Overlord List.

(Though I don't know whether it actually is.)

chiasaur11
2009-05-07, 04:17 PM
Turning the hero into part of your personal staff, and making him serve you food or put on shows in order to humiliate him, seems like the sort of thing that would be mentioned on the Evil Overlord List.

(Though I don't know whether it actually is.)

I think it's only mentioned, if at all, as a "Don't be a moron" style clause.

Seriously, even doing it with robots has proven to be the worst idea imaginable.

Kosjsjach
2009-05-07, 05:07 PM
I agree with monty et al., Merciful is what you want. However, OP said it's a bit too expensive, and 8000gp is a bit steep for a low-level character.

I went and read "The Revised and Expanded Rules of Posting" to make sure I wasn't breaking any rules by saying this, so here's what I suggest:
In Dungeon Magazine #119 p24, there's a sidebar for "Lesser Weapon Qualities". It allows for enhancements to be added on to weapons as expendable charges on command, and costs significantly less than a fully enhanced weapon. Once all the charges are expended, it's simply a masterwork.
Since Merciful can be turned off anyway, I thought it would be ideal for what you have in mind.

Hope that helps! (Not that it'll do you much good if you don't have access to the magazine...)

[edit: forgot to add the issue number :smallredface:]