PDA

View Full Version : Warforged Inquisitve? [3.5]

kpenguin
2009-05-03, 01:17 AM
Alright, after seeing this (http://www.yodaboys.com/warforgedinquisitive.jpg) image, I really have the urge to play a warforged inquisitive.

Unfortunately, I have no idea how to make this viable. The charisma and wisdom penalties hurt a bit when it comes to building a character that has the social interaction that an inquisitive would have. There's also the issue of making the inquisitive decently able in combat.

My first instinct would be to just make an artificer and slap on the Investigate feat with max Search ranks, which would make him terribly good at analyzing crime scenes but poor at gather information or interrogating suspects. '

Any thoughts?

RTGoodman
2009-05-03, 01:19 AM
I don't have any Eberron books to check to check out Inquisitives, but what about a Factotum? They can do basically anything, and it's Int-based, meaning your Cha/Wis penalties aren't as hard to handle. That'd be the path I chose, probably.

wadledo
2009-05-03, 01:39 AM
I'd suggest a Psionic Artificer Psiforged, with the Inquisitor feat.
I don't really know what to do otherwise.

arguskos
2009-05-03, 02:31 AM
Now, I don't know my warforged very well, but this sounds like a job for Inspector Gadget!!

Basically, abuse the hell out of warforged components. Get stuff like eyes of (true) seeing, extending hands, rocket boots, stuff like that. Play up the "I'm a wonderfully quirky, yet really effective, detective" angle. Stuff like that.

The_Snark
2009-05-03, 03:23 AM
If you decide to go with an artificer, do keep in mind the Skill Enhancement infusion. It's 1st-level, and while not very impressive at 1st level, it scales pretty well and allows you to boost any skill you need. An artificer is also passable to good in combat, and excels when able to study and prepare for specific targets, which is how an inquisitive fights (ideally; it doesn't always work).

Also remember to use people's perceptions and stereotypes of warforged. People notice warforged more than furniture, but unless you have an unusual appearance (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/roe_gallery/88257.jpg), they're not likely to remember anything else, or be able to tell you from other warforged. In fact, having a distinct look associated with you (one you can remove at will) would help with that—few people are likely to make the connection between a dull, unpolished warforged sweeping the streets and the well-dressed, well-spoken, monocled warforged inquisitive. People may catch on eventually, of course, but by that time you've got a reputation!

Fishy
2009-05-03, 03:39 AM
Snark, that image... just absolutely made my day. I am filled with deep and profound joy.

kpenguin
2009-05-03, 03:47 AM
Ah, the reforged. Totally awesome concept, rather lackluster mechanics.

I do believe I shall use the warforged artificer with the Investigate feat. Perhaps using items and infusions to make up for any natural lack of social skills.

Other than Investigate, what feats? What sorts of items should he be crafting?

Bayar
2009-05-03, 04:50 AM
As an artificier, you will craft items that give you circumstance bonuses to your skills. How about a Monocle of deduction ? (+5 circumstance bonus to sense motive) Or a Scarf of persuasion ? (+5 bonus to diplomacy).

There are endless possibilities.

Chronos
2009-05-03, 12:47 PM
Why take the Investigate feat? The only thing that feat does is say "You're allowed to think", basically. You don't need a feat to be able to say "Oh, look, a footprint, maybe that was made by the criminal I'm looking for".

Ovaltine Patrol
2009-05-03, 12:55 PM
A Warforged could take advantage of anti-Warforged bias and misconceptions to be a Columbo-style detective.

kpenguin
2009-05-03, 01:01 PM
Why take the Investigate feat? The only thing that feat does is say "You're allowed to think", basically. You don't need a feat to be able to say "Oh, look, a footprint, maybe that was made by the criminal I'm looking for".

Perhaps, but the Investigate feat might let me know that the footprint is not that of the victim, its depth indicates quite a bit of weight, and the mud left by it appears not to be of this area.

Alleine
2009-05-03, 02:23 PM
The Master Inquisitive PrC from Eberron Campaign Setting? Its one of the fastest PrC's to enter into. Although it isn't really combat effective, it does seem like what you're looking for. I'm actually surprised no one mentioned it yet.

Chronos
2009-05-03, 05:04 PM
Perhaps, but the Investigate feat might let me know that the footprint is not that of the victim, its depth indicates quite a bit of weight, and the mud left by it appears not to be of this area.But the feat doesn't say you can do that; just that you can find clues, not that you can interpret them. And if there is a feat that lets you determine things from a footprint, it's Track.

The Master Inquisitive PrC from Eberron Campaign Setting? Its one of the fastest PrC's to enter into. Although it isn't really combat effective, it does seem like what you're looking for. I'm actually surprised no one mentioned it yet.Strike one: It requires the useless Investigate feat to qualify for it. Strike two: With a moderate Intelligence, it has fewer class skills than skill points. Strike three: The class's primary feature is that you can talk to people, if you pay them money. And it's out. You'd be far better off just staying straight Rogue, or Factotum. Or, for that matter, Monk: At least they can do something.

kpenguin
2009-05-03, 05:23 PM
But the feat doesn't say you can do that; just that you can find clues, not that you can interpret them. And if there is a feat that lets you determine things from a footprint, it's Track.

The feat says you can analyze clues in addition to finding them and give the examples of determining cause of death, whether there are signs of struggle or not, and even the angle from which a spell was fired

Greenfaun
2009-05-03, 06:30 PM
Now, I don't know my warforged very well, but this sounds like a job for Inspector Gadget!!

Basically, abuse the hell out of warforged components. Get stuff like eyes of (true) seeing, extending hands, rocket boots, stuff like that. Play up the "I'm a wonderfully quirky, yet really effective, detective" angle. Stuff like that.

I just want to say that I love this idea.

I agree with whoever said factotum's the way to go, although the artificer stuff is interesting too. Also, if you want to try spellcasting and sneakiness, remember that Warforged are Constructs for the purpose of the spell "Alter self" and so are animated objects. If your dm allows this cheesy interpretation, you could alter self into an animated object to match some other object in the room and just hold still, and you've got the perfect disguise as a chair. Stupid? yes. Questionably legal? yes. Awesome? Oh yes.

Random NPC
2009-05-03, 06:58 PM
I just want to say that I love this idea.

I agree with whoever said factotum's the way to go, although the artificer stuff is interesting too. Also, if you want to try spellcasting and sneakiness, remember that Warforged are Constructs for the purpose of the spell "Alter self" and so are animated objects. If your dm allows this cheesy interpretation, you could alter self into an animated object to match some other object in the room and just hold still, and you've got the perfect disguise as a chair. Stupid? yes. Questionably legal? yes. Awesome? Oh yes.
like Rood the Doorforged Warforged

kpenguin
2009-05-03, 06:58 PM
I'm... unfamiliar with factotums. How would I make this concept work with that class?

RTGoodman
2009-05-03, 07:27 PM
I'm... unfamiliar with factotums. How would I make this concept work with that class?

Factotums, from Dungeonscape (co-authored by our very own Rich Burlew), are the ultimate generalist class and the perfect class for characters that get by on their wits alone. They get every skill ever printed as a class skill (and 6+Int skill points per level, and reliance on Int), the ability to add Int to various things (Str/Dex-based skills and checks, initiative, combat stats, and every skill once per day per skill), and a pool of inspiration points that they can use to cast SLAs like an arcanist, turn undead like a divine caster, boost their combat effectiveness, add Sneak Attack damage, take extra actions, and at high levels even mimic other classes' class features.

Check around online for other threads, and take a look at Dungeonscape when you get a chance. I think it'd be a great class for an investigator or, really, any skill-based character.

kpenguin
2009-05-03, 07:32 PM
Oh man, that sounds perfect!:smallbiggrin:

EDIT: So, would taking one of the armor feats be recommended. It occurs to me that being an inquisitive may be feat intensive.

RTGoodman
2009-05-04, 02:29 AM
Oh man, that sounds perfect!:smallbiggrin:

EDIT: So, would taking one of the armor feats be recommended. It occurs to me that being an inquisitive may be feat intensive.

Yeah, it's a really fun class. I played a Factotum in a (short, doomed) campaign a year or so ago, and played him as just your average Joe who happened to get mixed up in this adventure/quest thing with some rather odd companions.

As for Armor, Factotums are only proficient with light armor, so I don't know how that would work with your X Body feats. I would think sticking with your normal body would be fine, though, especially since you can add Int to AC vs. one enemy for 1 inspiration point per turn if you really need to.

One thing you might want to look at is the feat Font of Inspiration (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/frcc/20070606) from the Wizards website. If your DM will allow it, it's your best friend; there's a reason most people suggest taking it as every feat if you're a Factotum - it's just that good. As far as other feats, though, well, I just don't know.