PDA

View Full Version : Tripping as an Attack of Opportunity?

Zergrusheddie
2009-05-03, 01:46 AM
Is it possible to use an Attack of Opportunity to trip someone or is it only possible to just hit them?

Best of luck
-Eddie

tyckspoon
2009-05-03, 01:51 AM
You can use an Attack of Opportunity to do anything that you could do as an attack action. Remember that Standard Action =/= an attack action; tripping and attempting to start a grapple are ok; casting a touch spell or initiating a Tome of Battle maneuver are not, as those are (usually) distinct kinds of standard actions.

Salt_Crow
2009-05-03, 02:15 AM
As Tyckspoon. Also a psion can take Opportunistic Power metapower (XPH) to use touch-range powers when making an AoO.

Talic
2009-05-03, 03:06 AM
Basically, anything you can substitute an attack for, in a full attack, you can do on an AoO.

For example, I full attack with 3 attacks.

First one, I do a normal hit.
Second, I go for a disarm attack.
Third, with a lower BAB, I try to trip. It succeeds, and I get a free attack through feats.
Fourth, I grapple.

Other acceptable actions include sundering.

Zincorium
2009-05-03, 03:23 AM
Other acceptable actions include sundering.

Sundering is rarely acceptable- for entirely different reasons (oh, that 64,000 piece of loot? I felt threatened by it, sorry).

I will point out that you cannot trip when the attack of opportunity is generated by someone standing up, because at the time of the attack of opportunity they are still prone. That line of abuse has been cut off.

monty
2009-05-03, 03:43 PM
I will point out that you cannot trip when the attack of opportunity is generated by someone standing up, because at the time of the attack of opportunity they are still prone. That line of abuse has been cut off.

In general, it's important to note that attacks of opportunity happen immediately before the effect that caused them.

snoopy13a
2009-05-03, 06:01 PM

You can ready an action to trip the person just as soon as they stand up though.

monty
2009-05-03, 06:02 PM
You can ready an action to trip the person just as soon as they stand up though.

But readying takes a standard action, so how did you trip them in the first place?

snoopy13a
2009-05-03, 06:09 PM
But readying takes a standard action, so how did you trip them in the first place?

From an attack of opportunity. For example:

1) NPC tries to attack PC with a guisarme or spiked chain while 20' or so away
2) As NPC tries to move from 10' away to 5' away an AoO is provoked
3) PC trips NPC on the AoO
4) On PC's turn, they ready a standard action while the NPC is on the ground

Totally Guy
2009-05-03, 06:11 PM
I have a Vampire that bites people instead.

We call it: A snack of opportunity.