PDA

View Full Version : Castlemourn

Thane of Fife
2009-05-03, 07:20 AM
So, I just recently picked up a copy of the Castlemourn campaign setting, and I was wondering if anyone else has played/owned/read it.

Personally, I can't recall the last book that made me want to play a game of D&D as much as this one; it's just packed full of so much interesting stuff. I am particularly fond of the elvish moonglow. Really, all of the races intrigue me, though I think the adventure hooks are my favorite part about the book.

I could have done without the renaming of the cardinal directions, though.

So, any comment or thoughts, those of you who've looked through it (or are curious about it)?

Matthew
2009-05-03, 08:08 AM
I have bits and pieces of Castle Mourn (Player's Guide and Quick Start), thought it was okay. I think it uses the Cortex system rather than D20, though.

Thane of Fife
2009-05-03, 10:11 AM
The actual campaign setting book uses d20, and I believe the Player's Guide does as well (it appears that you can get it free at DriveThruRPG (http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product_info.php?products_id=12630)). I didn't find the Player's Guide to be as interesting as the actual campaign setting book, though, perhaps because it's missing most of the adventure hooks (it also lacks the "Largrymm's Doom" spell, which allows the caster to make people's heads explode).

I found it interesting enough that I bought the campaign setting, though, so maybe it's a better deal than I make it out to be.

Matthew
2009-05-03, 12:54 PM
Interesting, it must be written for multiple systems, because the Quick Start was definitely using the Cortex System. However, it looks as though it is no longer available. Strange deeds afoot!

Thane of Fife
2009-05-03, 03:59 PM
Well, since Margaret Weis Productions publishes both Castlemourn and Cortex, it's quite possible that 4e has caused them to start using the campaign setting for a new system - it's probably only going to get harder to sell d20 stuff from now on (on top of which, I think I remember seeing a suggestion at Candlekeep that this was indeed the case, and that new Castlemourn stuff was in the works for a different system - i.e. not d20).

Looking over their product line, they don't appear to be selling any 4e stuff, so it's not surprising that they would make the transfer.