PDA

View Full Version : V's gender?

Reaperx90
2009-05-03, 07:43 AM
Was it ever concretely stated what V's gender was?

I only ask because I've been under the impression that it was left comically ambiguous even up to the last strip (V & spouse referring to each other as "spouse" and "mate"), but Roy just called V "him." Did I just miss the epiphany of V's gender, was it never in question, or was a ball dropped?

PS: Thread abandonment inc. I'm going out to breakfast but I'll be back in a while.

Assassin89
2009-05-03, 07:48 AM
I believe that the FAQ (http://www.giantitp.com/FAQ.html#faq10) will answer your question, but there are already several V gender debates.

Yuki Akuma
2009-05-03, 07:51 AM
V's gender is obviously [gender]. There's no other possible gender for [pronoun] to be. I give you [comic number] as evidence.

Fern tree
2009-05-03, 07:59 AM
Was it ever concretely stated what V's gender was?

I only ask because I've been under the impression that it was left comically ambiguous even up to the last strip (V & spouse referring to each other as "spouse" and "mate"), but Roy just called V "him." Did I just miss the epiphany of V's gender, was it never in question, or was a ball dropped?

PS: Thread abandonment inc. I'm going out to breakfast but I'll be back in a while.

You are right. As far as I know, his gender was never explicitly specified until now.

Revenant
2009-05-03, 08:05 AM
This comes up every time another character or Rich refers to V with a pronoun – any pronoun. Rich stated in the FAQ that he'll never tell, see the already-posted link.

Haven
2009-05-03, 08:10 AM

Good grief. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110684)

Dogmantra
2009-05-03, 09:07 AM
Roy thinks V's a dude.
He may or may not actually be a dude.

Although at the moment, V is probably a bad enough dude to rescue the President.

Aris Katsaris
2009-05-03, 09:20 AM
You are right. As far as I know, his gender was never explicitly specified until now.

That's wrong.

V has many times been referred to as "he" or "him".
V has many times been referred to as "she" or "her".

Adding one more such example to column A or B is not significantly contributing to any argument, whether for or against.

Reaperx90
2009-05-03, 09:34 AM
Ah, thanks for the clarification, both civil and uncivil alike. In my defense, I did at least surf the front few pages in search of a similar thread, but I both had no idea a FAQ existed and would never have expected it to contain information regarding my specific inquiry.

Mauve Shirt
2009-05-03, 10:07 AM
Ah, thanks for the clarification, both civil and uncivil alike. In my defense, I did at least surf the front few pages in search of a similar thread, but I both had no idea a FAQ existed and would never have expected it to contain information regarding my specific inquiry.

2 threads down from yours (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110684) on the front page is a similar thread. Less of an excuse than not knowing where the FAQ is.

shadzar
2009-05-03, 02:37 PM
Well if V was male, then I think Kyrie fixed that ailment when she recently castrated him for his actions and selling his soul to fiends.

Wreckingrocc
2009-05-03, 02:48 PM
See, from comic 1 I always assumed V was a guy... It's just the joke on the fact that elves are so effeminate. I believe Rich had the same intentions, but ended up just keeping it ambiguous to amuse the fans who've never seen real elves. Elven males are effeminate. Elven females are effeminate. It's just how it works. I think the joke is funny, but it would be much funnier if it wasn't left ambiguous, and V was known to be a male. It seems like it would work much better if people just kept mistaking him for the wrong gender.

I really didn't see any other side of the argument.

That is, however, until the recent comics were posted. I suppose V's mate is box-bodied, so he really could be female. I suppose this will change my whole opinion around, since bodies are always a defining character, and I've yet to see a character who is really the opposite gender of their body.

V is female.

Zanaril
2009-05-03, 03:01 PM
Or doesn't care about gender. Or doesn't even realize she should care about gender.

Overlord Nicy
2009-05-03, 03:36 PM
V's gender is obviously [gender]. There's no other possible gender for [pronoun] to be. I give you [comic number] as evidence.

[Counter-Argument]