PDA

View Full Version : Arcane Stigmata

Crel
2009-05-03, 01:33 PM
I got an idea for an Exalted feat. Its kinda based on the feat Stigmata, which lets you take Con damage to heal people. You'd only be able to use it when you're casting the spells it works for on evil outsiders, evil people, or for good reasons (basically, DM's discretion).

Arcane Stigmata:
Prerequisite: Sacred Vow, Nimbus of Light, (maybe Stigmata?)
Benefit: You can cast spells that require expensive material components by taking damage to yourself. For every point of temporary Constitution burn you take, you can eliminate up to 500gp of expensive materials required for a spell. This does not allow you to reduce XP penalties, create magic items for less, or reduce the material cost of anything else. This Constitution burn cannot be healed by any means outside of natural healing, including speeding up natural healing, natural regeneration, the Fast Healing feat found in Complete Warrior, or anything similar (again, DM's discretion).
Special: You can only use this feat when the results of the spell will be beneficial to the cause of good (i.e. killing an irredeemable evil outsider, undead, healing, raise dead or resurrection.) The exact definition of when a spell counts for the use of this feat is up to the Dungeon Master's discretion.

JoshuaZ
2009-05-03, 02:27 PM
I got an idea for an Exalted feat. Its kinda based on the feat Stigmata, which lets you take Con damage to heal people. You'd only be able to use it when you're casting the spells it works for on evil outsiders, evil people, or for good reasons (basically, DM's discretion).

Arcane Stigmata:
Prerequisite: Sacred Vow, Nimbus of Light, (maybe Stigmata?)
Benefit: You can cast spells that require expensive material components by taking damage to yourself. For every point of temporary Constitution damage you take, you can eliminate up to 500gp of expensive materials required for a spell. This does not allow you to reduce XP penalties, create magic items for less, or reduce the material cost of anything else.
Special: You can only use this feat when the results of the spell will be beneficial to the cause of good (i.e. killing an irredeemable evil outsider, undead, healing, raise dead or resurrection.) The exact definition of when a spell counts for the use of this feat is up to the Dungeon Master's discretion.

I can see this as highly abusable. The con damage should be specified as not being able to be healed by any form of magical healing. Otherwise this could be close to ignored (take one level of Binder for example)

Zeta Kai
2009-05-03, 03:10 PM
I can see this as highly abusable. The con damage should be specified as not being able to be healed by any form of magical healing. Otherwise this could be close to ignored (take one level of Binder for example)

Agreed. This feat is obviously geared toward divine spellcasters, & those classes are also the best equipped to deal with ability damage. If this where ability drain, &/or you restricted the means by which the damage/drain could be restored, then I could say it was somewhat balanced. As it is, it just opens the door for easy circumvention.

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-05-03, 03:25 PM

Ability burn is the term for ability damage that can't be healed magically; it shows up in psionic material and some of the later books. Change "temporary Con damage" to "Con burn" and I'd say it would be balanced.

Crel
2009-05-03, 10:31 PM
All right, I'll go edit that to "Constitution burn which can only be healed by time." Is that good?

The kinda ironic thing here is I usually play arcane, and thought that this + vow of poverty might not be too bad, as it would help in the casting of the annoying spells with like 100gp or so (under 500) spells. anyways, thanks for tips on balancing. anyone else have advice?

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-05-04, 09:29 AM
All right, I'll go edit that to "Constitution burn which can only be healed by time." Is that good?

Looks good to me.

The kinda ironic thing here is I usually play arcane, and thought that this + vow of poverty might not be too bad, as it would help in the casting of the annoying spells with like 100gp or so (under 500) spells.

If you're just looking to cut out the annoying spells, you should do exactly that; the reason it was a problem as you had it before is that it scales to all the 10k-50k spells. It wouldn't be nearly as bad if you just ignored, say, 100gp per point of Con bonus.