PDA

View Full Version : Inspire Me

Fax Celestis
2006-08-11, 12:08 AM
Unfortunately, of late, my creative juices have been at a standstill. I've had a couple ideas that I can't get out onto paper, and beyond them, I've got nothing.

Nothing.

So, inspire me. I prefer creating monsters, classes, or prestige classes (rather than items or feats), but at this point, any inspiration will do.

Help?

Maerok
2006-08-11, 12:28 AM
A PrC based around spellgrafting. A spellcaster begins by using the Dragon Magazine's Spell Graft feat or Permanency and eventually becomes a collboration of spells as an Outsider.

Edit:
Or... a necromancer. ;D I love me a necro PrC.

BelkarsDagger
2006-08-11, 12:34 AM
Ooo good. I have plenty of ideas in my head that I cant quite stat out.

-Intelligent ooze that absorbs years of age instead of regular food. (It makes you younger, until you eventually fade out of existence.)
-PrC based around tracking and killing Animals and Magical Beasts specifically.
-PrC that combines Bardic Music with Rage.
-PrC based around using cantrips and ranged combat.

Zeal
2006-08-11, 12:56 AM
-PrC that combines Bardic Music with Rage.

...Heavy metal?

MagFlare
2006-08-11, 01:53 AM
-Intelligent ooze that absorbs years of age instead of regular food. (It makes you younger, until you eventually fade out of existence.)

Fantastic idea.

-PrC based around tracking and killing Animals and Magical Beasts specifically.

This sounds like a straight Ranger build to me.

-PrC that combines Bardic Music with Rage

Now this - this is a fine idea. Bardbarians don't get enough love (perhaps because they need four good stats in order to get the job done right). Are there any feats specifically tailored for angry musicians?

BelkarsDagger
2006-08-11, 02:12 AM
This sounds like a straight Ranger build to me.

If I recall correctly, the Ranger is built around hiding, surviving, and at later levels, communing with nature. This idea is something of a Nature Hater or Hunter.

Edit: Thanks for the good feedback. :) Every once in a while its good to know that people dont hate everything you think of... :P

Some more I had in the last few...

-Base Class version of a Spellsword (Dunno if there already is one of these, if so, nevermind).
-A Miner/Tunneler NPC-Class
-PrC that uses Darkvision and Low Light vision as it's primary abilities, and gets abilities stemming from them. (Dont forget True Sight)

MagFlare
2006-08-11, 02:28 AM
If I recall correctly, the Ranger is built around hiding, surviving, and at later levels, communing with nature. This idea is something of a Nature Hater or Hunter.

Sure, that's the usual flavor. But it's fully possible to build a Ranger who hates nature, has Animals, Plants, Magical Beasts, Fey, and Humanoids (elves) as his Favored Enemies, uses Summon Nature's Ally to practice his sharpshooting ability, and only hangs out in the forest because that gives him more opportunities to stab fluffy woodland critters with his +2 flaming burst scimitars of fluffy woodland critterbane.

Actually, that'd be a lot of fun to play...

-Base Class version of a Spellsword (Dunno if there already is one of these, if so, nevermind).

Sounds like a Duskblade, maybe?

Jarl
2006-08-11, 02:35 AM
I need some stuff for my Homebrew setting:
A predator mammal on land. I remember writing the word "Lightning Hound" down one night in the margins of my notes and having a vague idea of a lupine tiger-sized creature with a lashing tail and eel-like electric attacks.
"Tinkering" classes. I understand that Artificer is something like this, though I don't have any 3.5 books lying around to confirm. I was thinking, like, maybe three: Engineer (can design and oversee the construction of buildings, machines, stuff like that, though I have a hard time seeing it as much of a player class), Mechanic (basically like a thief or rogue except can hotwire a car, build a car, fix things, break things, rebuild things, etc), and Pilot (which would also include sailors and drivers and such, probably have mount as a class skill or something, I dunno).
A Nazgul-eqsue creature that's mostly just bone dust, rags, magic, and glass weapons with the strength of steel.
Some minor enemies for a nautical adventure. Like, a low hit-die vicious dolphin or something.

-I dunno. Just tossing ideas out there. How about... a class to replicate the powers of Leprechauns.

MagFlare
2006-08-11, 02:46 AM
I"Tinkering" classes. I understand that Artificer is something like this, though I don't have any 3.5 books lying around to confirm. I was thinking, like, maybe three: Engineer (can design and oversee the construction of buildings, machines, stuff like that, though I have a hard time seeing it as much of a player class), Mechanic (basically like a thief or rogue except can hotwire a car, build a car, fix things, break things, rebuild things, etc...

Hot damn. You know how people have been posting lots of steam-powered monsters lately? How about a class that is based on building, maintaining, and upgrading a steam-powered suit of armor? Each level, you could equip it with new features, like Str enhancements, AC bonuses, flamethrowers, machine guns, and so on. And it'd work in an antimagic field, to boot...

Fizban
2006-08-11, 04:40 AM
Ha, just posted in ^steam armor thread thingy. The steam tech (at least the guy who started it around here) uses magic items to get infinite super steam, so antimagic kills.
On topic:
-I've been wanting to make weapons out of glass lately, not magic glass, just really strong glass.
-I like angels: make a low hit-die, CR 4-ish angel so I can use it with The_Demented_One's new summoner feats.
-Fix the 3.5 Half-Golem so it's usable as a PC race/thing.
Hmmm, I don't have as many ideas as I thought...

MagFlare
2006-08-11, 07:17 AM
Ha, just posted in ^steam armor thread thingy. The steam tech (at least the guy who started it around here) uses magic items to get infinite super steam, so antimagic kills.

But it doesn't need to. While magically-produced heat and water are certainly handy for fantasy steamtech, I'm assuming the steamsmith's got a mundane boiler and adequate water supply strapped to him.

knightsaline
2006-08-11, 07:51 AM
How do you feel about making templates? if you want to, read the first tsurugi post, where i challenged the authour to make a template to replicate the most famous final fantasy bad guy, if not, then how about i give you some "building blocks" of ideas
final fantasy summons (unlimited style, summoner class, materia)
limit breaks (special attack actions when the player is low on HP)
a moving castle (like howls, of course)

*puts on the song "one winged angel" from advent children*

GolemsVoice
2006-08-11, 10:15 AM
The one wth the spellcrafter is a nice one.
What about a PC who has several spell components, the stronger he is, the more he gets, and can craft a spell each round?
Like, he says:
I've got this and this and this, so i make a ball of acid, which explodes, deals damage and forces its targets to make a fortitude save in order not to become unconscious?

The Demented One
2006-08-11, 11:07 AM
-A giant, squirrel-like magical beast that enslaves creatures, forcing them to harvest nuts for the beast's lesser brethren.

-Lobsterfolk (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_Zoidberg)

-A golem built out of porcelain, with an internal resevoir full of boiling-hot tea.

-A fiend that can take on the traits of either a baatezu, a tan'ari, or a yugoloth.

-A Rilmani that emanates an antimagic field that only negates aligned spells.

-An incoporeal outsider that possesses and animates items.

-A construct that absorbs the special abilities of other constructs.

EDIT: Yanked three ideas for myself. Sorry!

MagFlare
2006-08-11, 11:39 AM
A golem made of swords. Its purpose is generally to patrol a keep during an attack, acting as a sort of walking armory, but it's capable of doing some terrible things to any invader is runs across.
A PrC that allows a Ranger or Druid to trade in her animal-based abilities in favor of plant-based ones and eventually grants its user the Plant type (with all the advantages and eccentricities that implies - fast healing while rooted in sunlight, for example).
A PrC based around the theme of causing fear.
An undead that isn't just incorporeal - it's literally a sentient hole ripped in the multiverse, created by the untimely death of someone who was meant to fulfill a great destiny.

NullAshton
2006-08-11, 11:41 AM
How about a matrix-like prestige class, that gives abilities such as kung fu and slowing down time, as well as stopping arrows in midair and stuff. Prestige class so that any class can have it, such as rogues, fighters, or monks.

Fax Celestis
2006-08-11, 12:21 PM
I find it mildly ironic that you're discussing my creations in a different thread of mine.

Fax Celestis
2006-08-11, 12:33 PM
Intelligent ooze that absorbs years of age instead of regular food. (It makes you younger, until you eventually fade out of existence.)
Interesting.

PrC based around tracking and killing Animals and Magical Beasts specifically.
I might even combine this with these:

A PrC that allows a Ranger or Druid to trade in her animal-based abilities in favor of plant-based ones and eventually grants its user the Plant type (with all the advantages and eccentricities that implies - fast healing while rooted in sunlight, for example).
and

PrC that combines Bardic Music with Rage. Of course, the two classes I play the least.

PrC based around using cantrips and ranged combat.I made a base class for this. The Wanderer. I'll try to dig up the link.

Base Class version of a Spellsword (Dunno if there already is one of these, if so, nevermind). Yup, sounds like the Duskblade.

A Miner/Tunneler NPC-ClassIsn't there one of these in CAdv?

PrC that uses Darkvision and Low Light vision as it's primary abilities, and gets abilities stemming from them. (Dont forget True Sight)Inspiration: PrC for blind pcs.

A predator mammal on land. I remember writing the word "Lightning Hound" down one night in the margins of my notes and having a vague idea of a lupine tiger-sized creature with a lashing tail and eel-like electric attacks.Alright.

"Tinkering" classes.This is actually part of what I'm stuck on. I don't know how to make it work.

A Nazgul-eqsue creature that's mostly just bone dust, rags, magic, and glass weapons with the strength of steel. ...like a ragamoffyn on steroids.

An incoporeal outsider that possesses and animates items.Hm....

A construct that absorbs the special abilities of other constructs. A construct construct?

A giant, squirrel-like magical beast that enslaves creatures, forcing them to harvest nuts for the beast's lesser brethren. Skiurrd on steroids?

A golem made of swords. Its purpose is generally to patrol a keep during an attack, acting as a sort of walking armory, but it's capable of doing some terrible things to any invader is runs across. Another ragamoffyn on steroids, this one a shrapnyl.

An undead that isn't just incorporeal - it's literally a sentient hole ripped in the multiverse, created by the untimely death of someone who was meant to fulfill a great destiny. Crazy.

How about a matrix-like prestige class, that gives abilities such as kung fu and slowing down time, as well as stopping arrows in midair and stuff. Prestige class so that any class can have it, such as rogues, fighters, or monks.Could work.

NullAshton
2006-08-11, 12:41 PM
For tinkering classes, you could allow it to use craft(stuff) in inventive ways(Stuff being a craft skill.) Think Macgyver, but D&Dish. Oh the things you could make with a 10 foot pole, some rope, and a few flasks of alchemists fire...

Fax Celestis
2006-08-11, 02:44 PM
Done. (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=homebrew;action=display;num=11553216 72)

Roland St. Jude
2006-08-11, 02:50 PM
Have you considered entering the Summer Organization Design Contest (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Contests)?

Fax Celestis
2006-08-11, 03:07 PM
Have you considered entering the Summer Organization Design Contest (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Contests)?
Done. ;) (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Contests;action=display;num=11552544 29)

ghost_warlock
2006-08-11, 03:07 PM
How about a sentient, psionic, non-extraplanar, PC-able plant at/below the ECL 5 range (LA +1 to +3, max of ECL 6 with one class level).

I posed the same challenge to VT the other day. I'd be interested in anything I get back!

There's the Dread Witch in Heroes of Horror. It's pretty sweet! (One of my favorite PrCs, actually.)

Fax Celestis
2006-08-11, 03:44 PM
How about a sentient, psionic, non-extraplanar, PC-able plant at/below the ECL 5 range (LA +1 to +3, max of ECL 6 with one class level).
I'll do that next.

PolkaBear
2006-08-11, 04:17 PM
An arcane spellcasting class fueled by the PC's pain. In order to cast spells, it must lose HP. The mass of scars such a character would develop would eventually contribute to a loss of CHA, but might also provide a natural armor bonus.

Fax Celestis
2006-08-11, 04:41 PM
An arcane spellcasting class fueled by the PC's pain. In order to cast spells, it must lose HP. The mass of scars such a character would develop would eventually contribute to a loss of CHA, but might also provide a natural armor bonus.
...so a Tzimisce?

Sorry, wrong game. :) Maybe.

Spakken
2006-08-11, 04:45 PM
Inspiration: PrC for blind pcs.

Now THIS would be great for an oriental campaign. There's a PrC in the Book of Nine Swords (I forget the name, now) that has a neat ability that would be perfect for this PrC. You loose all forms of special sight at will, you can automatically detect other blinded foes, and you get bonuses to attack them.

I'd also like to see this as a base class, as well.

I like this one, very dark, and just perfect for a horror type campaign. The Blood Magi PrC (originally released in Tome and Blood, then later reprinted in Complete Arcane) works well. But I like the idea for a base class. Maybe in my horror campaign.

Fax Celestis
2006-08-11, 05:38 PM
Done! (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=homebrew;action=display;num=11553322 07;start=0#0) At LA+1 no less.

Jarl
2006-08-11, 05:39 PM
I got one for you. Yeah, it's a weapon, but a doozy.
A flagpole.
I tried statting it out but I'm worthless outside of AD&D. Basically, a spear with a flag on it. Any flag, depends on when, where, and how it was acquired. The flag can count as a holy symbol, can trip up and entangle enemies, some made out of sturdy materials can catch and deflect arrows (especially usefull if the weapon is spun rapidly in the face of an oncoming barrage), can be used as a sephamor, all sorts of things.

-Besides, Smite Evil's a cool atack already. But imagine you drive the flag of your holy land through the heart of your enemy, nailing him to the filthy sinful ground from which he sprung, and declare your liege's annexing of this territory. Mmmmm.

BelkarsDagger
2006-08-11, 11:59 PM

That seems kinda like a spellcasting non-comabt oriented Eye of Gruumsh to me.