PDA

View Full Version : Phoenixians (critter/PC race?)

Dalcassius
2006-08-11, 01:37 PM
The phoenixians [Feen-E-shuns] are based off the raptorian race from the Races of the Wild. I am unsure if their information is covered under the OGL, but I have a hunch that it isn't. Unfortunately this means you'll have to get most of the information about the pheonoxians on your own.

For the purposes of my own game world the raptorians do not exist. The phoenixians are a people created by the sacrifice of the great phoenix to protect a dangerous secret. The phoenix gave its life to create the new race who carry on its image and task as guardian. However in the millennium since the Great Natal Immolation the pheonixians have forgotten what it was they were to protect. They fiercely defend their land on the assumption that keeping everyone out will insure the secret entrusted to them is kept hidden. Many phoenixians have become xenophobic because of their racial isolation.

Phoenixians have the general traits of raptorians (as described in the Races of the Wild (pgs. 65-90), with additions and exceptions as noted below. Phoenixians lose the special abilities "Pact with the Wind Lords" and "Unerring Direction."
Phoenixians gain the special abilities "Ashes to Ashes, Dusk to Dawn", "Flames of the Phoenix" (both 1/day), "Natal Immolation (1/life time)"
Phoenixians have the following racial ability modifiers: +2 dex and -2 cha.
Phoenixians have a +1 natural armour bonus.
Phoenixians have the Fire subtype, so they suffer no damage from fire and take an extra 50% damage from cold regardless of saves.
Phoenixians automatically speak Ignan and Common plus they have the following bonus languages: Auran, Celestial, Draconic and Sylvan.
Phoenixians use the starting age and aging effects of elves but retain the random starting height and weight stats of raptorians.Ashes to Ashes, Dusk to Dawn: Phoenixians do not sleep in the same manner as most other races. When they wish to rest the phoenixian makes a standard action to use this supernatural ability. Their body is completely consumed in flames leaving nothing but a small pile of ashes. Eight hours later the spot the phoenixian stood upon bursts into a bonfire sized fire for one round, at the end of which stands the phoenixian once again. Any equipment and gear of the phoenixian worn during the use of this ability are destroyed. If the ashes of the "sleeping" phoenixian are disturbed there is no ill effect and the phoenixian will always appear where he or she was when the ability was employed. A phoenixian cannot be "awoken" early and they have no idea of any events which transpired while they were "asleep." The phoenixian gains all the standard benefits of rest for the eight hours it spends as ashes including natural healing and the ability to memorize spells.

Flames of the Phoenix: Once per day a phoenixian can cast the spell Produce Flame as a caster equal to one fourth of the phoenixians HD or as druid of its level (if any druid levels are had), whichever it higher.

Natal Immolation: Phoenixians do not breed and procreate, rather they live to be 500 years and upon the evening of their 500th birthday when they use their Ashes to Ashes, Dusk to Dawn ability an infant phoenixian will be created in the elders place at the end of the eight hours. There are a finite number of phoenixians; there will never be more or less. When a phoenixian dies of causes aside from old age (be it poison, disease, weapon damage, etc) the Ashes to Ashes, Dusk to Dawn power is automatically used upon reaching -10 HP or 0 Con. Eight hours later a new born phoenixian will be in the elders place. The new born is a completely new creature with no memory of its previous incarnation.

I wasn't sure what the LA should be, but I was thinking maybe +3.

martyboy74
2006-08-11, 01:52 PM
They have a race along these lines in the MM3, Phoelarches.

NullAshton
2006-08-11, 01:58 PM
So what would happen if that person was later ressurected? Would there be one more pheonixian?

Dalcassius
2006-08-11, 01:59 PM
Finds book, blows dust off and flips through it.
Damn it! That was a week of work well spent. Thanks anyways. I guess I'll just use the Pheoralarch and give them wings/flight.

EDIT- and a phoenixian wouldn't be able to reserected as that is technically what happens.

The Demented One
2006-08-11, 02:15 PM
I personally like these better than the MM3 things...the whole immolating sleep idea was genius. Not sure if they really need that high of an LA. +1 maybe, but no higher than +2.

Dalcassius
2006-08-11, 03:43 PM
Thank you for the compliment, it means alot to me.
They have the wings which allow gliding at low levels and flight at higher levels, plus the +1 NA, a spell like ability and fire immunity. Pretty steep. At the lowest I wold only take the LA down to +2.

The Demented One
2006-08-11, 04:02 PM
Thank you for the compliment, it means alot to me.
They have the wings which allow gliding at low levels and flight at higher levels, plus the +1 NA, a spell like ability and fire immunity. Pretty steep. At the lowest I wold only take the LA down to +2.
The only things they have that raptorans don't are the NA, a 1st level spell-like ability whose caster level is so low it will be useless past 1st level, and fire immunity balanced by cold resistance.