PDA

View Full Version : Tips for Storytelling a Changeling the Lost Game

togapika
2009-05-04, 01:50 PM
Looking for any tips and info you awesome people can give regarding running a Changeling the Lost game..
Bit of background, the game will have 4 players and I've only ever run D&D, no NWOD or any WOD for that matter...
I need all the help I can get.
P.S. I'm thinking of picking their kiths for them, how bad would that be?

Kurald Galain
2009-05-05, 03:25 AM
P.S. I'm thinking of picking their kiths for them, how bad would that be?

You probably shouldn't. CTL is heavily about roleplaying (as opposed to action scenes or combat) so this is generally most fun for the players if they can make their own characters fully.

grautry
2009-05-05, 03:45 AM
You probably shouldn't. CTL is heavily about roleplaying (as opposed to action scenes or combat) so this is generally most fun for the players if they can make their own characters fully.

Well, depends on the themes of the game.

Kiths aren't really all that important, it's the Seemings that define what you did in Arcadia.

Ask your players whether they would be fine with emphasizing the themes of capriciousness of fate and such. If they're fine with it, then feel free to edit their kiths as you see fit.

Depending on what kind of D&D player you are, you might need to change your ideas about RP'ing. Changeling is mostly about roleplaying, combat is only as useful as it pertains to the story. There's no such concept as 'loot' really, as your character can afford everything he could want just by spending a couple of Merit points on Resources(aside from Tokens).

Not to mention that judging an enemy's strength can be quite difficult and WoD combat system is very deadly. It's all too easy to cause player deaths or even TPK's by adding one or two dots of an attribute too much.

I generally find that a good mix of proactive and reactive roleplaying is good for WoD games. Proactive means that players tell you what their characters want to accomplish and you craft a story around it. Maybe they want to rule a freehold. Maybe they want to join an ancient Entitlement. Maybe one of the players is associated with the police and an investigation turns up impossible deaths - the Fae are in town or is it another supernatural power? Perhaps a loved one of a character is replaced by a fetch and they need to deal with their Keepers to get him back. Find a way to create conflict around player's backstories.

Reactive on the other hand is you hooking them in with a story. Rumours abound about a Token that can restore humanity - at a deadly price. The new ruler of the Freehold acts in a weird way and some whisper that she's a Loyalist or a Banished. What if one of the players is approached with such an offer - be a Loyalist or else?

There's lots of ways to spin a Changeling story. Reread Chapter 4 a couple of times and you should have some ideas.

togapika
2009-05-07, 12:05 AM
Mostly only picked their kiths for two reasons. First off they don't know what game they'll be playing. That is to say that they all like NWOD and will start as humans. The second is that I gave them all dual kiths.

Two will be captured by a dark affiliated keeper who made one a Wizened Chirurgeon/Leechfinger to do experiments on people (sewing weird parts together, making new species etc..) the second is a dual Darkling- Razorhand/Palewraith who gathered the victims for his keeper.

Two will be captured by a keeper who is in essence a spoiled little rich girl. One of them becomes a Fairest- Polychromatic/Windwing (Rainbow Bird) and the other a Beast- Steepscrambler/Truefriend (Cymbal Monkey). Both were used for their keepers amusement as well as to be shown off to guests

The odd man out will be captured by an Effrit style keeper who forges his body into metal so that he can be forced to work in the forge. Elemental- Metalflesh/Smith