PDA

View Full Version : [weapon] knucklers

TheThan
2006-08-08, 04:30 PM
knucklers
These simple weapons are made by taking a flattened metal rod and bending it to conform to the fist. They are used to add extra damage to a punch and are usually employed by thugs and other ruffians.

Weapon type: Bludgeoning
Weapon proficiency: simple/monk
Damage: +2 damage to unarmed strikes made with fists
Range:--
Critical: --
Critical damage:
Requirements: none
Availability: common
Cost: 5 gold
Special

Knucklers grant the user a +2 to damage with unarmed strikes. Knucklers can be worn over bracers. Enchanted sets are very rare as the very ruffians that use them make most of them. Enchanted knucklers count as gauntlets for the purpose of determining magic items on the body.

martyboy74
2006-08-08, 06:35 PM
Um, wouldn't someone think about smacking someone else over the head with the rod before wrapping it around their hand? Maybe you should give it a bonus to disguising it as weaponry. Otherwise...yeah.

Gyrfalcon
2006-08-08, 06:54 PM
Brass Knuckles are easier to hide in a pocket, however. ;)

Hm... I think it's a decent concept, it provides a minor damage boost for low-level monks.

TheThan
2006-08-08, 09:10 PM
I could give it a bonus to slight of hand checks made to conceal it.

chaiyo
2006-08-08, 09:31 PM
You could also give rogues proficiency with it, considering that they're proficient with stuff they can hide.

TheThan
2006-08-08, 11:13 PM
They’re simple weapons so rogues are proficient in them.

edit for spelling

Gentlemaniac
2006-08-09, 02:53 PM
Brass knuckles never struck me as something a monk would use; you even describe it as a ruffian's weapon. How about simply using it with your unarmed proficiancy, allowing you to deal lethal damage with regular punches? It would be a good backup weapon for rogues, letting them make the most of their sneak attacks. It would be a cheap alternative to the Imp. Unarmed Strike feat; you still provoke attacks of opportunity, but it's better than nothing, and when you catch them flat-footed it doesn't matter anyway.

Perhaps it could increase damage by +1 if you have Imp. Unarmed Strike, but I don't think it should have a higher bonus. Damage bonuses add up, remember; imagine, for example a ranger/rogue in a setting dominated by humans. With a +2 bonus from knuckles, +2 favored enemy bonus, strength, sneak attack and whatever else he'd come up with; he'd be an extremely lethal assassin without any obvious weapons or magic even at low levels.

Spiked knuckles could have a slightly higher bonus, but they'd be a bit harder to make and conceal.

Skyserpent
2006-08-10, 01:28 AM
Brass knuckles never struck me as something a monk would use; you even describe it as a ruffian's weapon. How about simply using it with your unarmed proficiancy, allowing you to deal lethal damage with regular punches? It would be a good backup weapon for rogues, letting them make the most of their sneak attacks. It would be a cheap alternative to the Imp. Unarmed Strike feat; you still provoke attacks of opportunity, but it's better than nothing, and when you catch them flat-footed it doesn't matter anyway.

Perhaps it could increase damage by +1 if you have Imp. Unarmed Strike, but I don't think it should have a higher bonus. Damage bonuses add up, remember; imagine, for example a ranger/rogue in a setting dominated by humans. With a +2 bonus from knuckles, +2 favored enemy bonus, strength, sneak attack and whatever else he'd come up with; he'd be an extremely lethal assassin without any obvious weapons or magic even at low levels.

Spiked knuckles could have a slightly higher bonus, but they'd be a bit harder to make and conceal.

so far, you've pretty much described Gauntlets. Your weapon is basically an alternate variation of a Gauntlet, which let's you fight as though you're armed. Not Provoke AoOps and and increase damage.

TheOOB
2006-08-10, 02:39 AM
Knuckles are identical to gauntless(stat wise) except their easier to hide, but you cant hold something while using them.

Spiked knuckles would just change damage to piercing, unless the spiked where really big, then they'd function as katars (punching daggers)

Gentlemaniac
2006-08-11, 10:52 AM
Note to self: read up on similar rules before making long, disagreeing posts.

Well, it would make sense for knuckles and gauntlets to have similar rules, with knuckles being slightly inferior but easier to hide.