PDA

View Full Version : Rebellion!!

Krytha
2009-05-04, 08:38 PM
So... anyone remember this one? The ultimate star wars setting logistics game! Ive owned it for years and never beat it. While I'm working on a game now (which takes forever) I'm having some trouble finishing off those pesky rebels despite clearly having a giant advantage in terms of production, galaxy support, fleets and characters. Well, I guess the more you have, the more you have to lose... Anyone have any favorite strategies or fond memories of crushing upstart rebels beneath the iron boot of law and order?

Zarah
2009-05-04, 08:59 PM
Rebellion is one of my all-time favorite Star Wars games ever made. Even though I never once actually finished a game, I still love to play it. In fact, I don't think I ever got past the monolithic-like learning curve, since I never did fully get the hang of everything. But hey, it was still awesome.

I really wish they'd remake the game properly with modern graphics and better balance. But after Empire at War, that's probably a pipe dream.

Krytha
2009-05-04, 09:04 PM
Yeah, I was hoping for a remake as well (especially to beef up ship to ship combat, or at least make it less of a pain)... I've been playing it on my laptop without a mouse and my hand gets cramps after a few minutes these days..

SolkaTruesilver
2009-05-05, 12:20 AM
The meta-game of Rebellion is really awesome. I've never seen a game that meld covert operation and grand strategy so well, and so intertwined.

Yes, a remake would be nice. With a proper AI :smallbiggrin:

Logic
2009-05-07, 09:09 AM
I beat the game ONCE as the Rebellion, on a headquarters only victory. I tried to replicate the same feat as the Empire, and despite 3 Death Stars, and massive fleets of ships, I could never seem to blow up that pesky Rebel base.

With one exception being Civilization (as a series), I have never played a stategy game more than Rebellion.

Empire at War was pretty good, but I found it lacking in some respects.

But for Rebellion, I would love to see the ship rosters trimmed down a bit for the game, that or make ship research faster.

SuperMuldoon
2009-05-07, 11:02 AM
I used to play this game all the time, always as the Empire. Definitely a fun game, though I just had the computer micromanage everything. All I wanted to do was build fleets and take over the galaxy. It's tough pinning down that rebel base, but once you do you can just send in the death star to blow it up!

Atelm
2009-05-07, 11:44 AM
Rebellion is one of those games that age really well (well, not the space combat bit, but the rest of it...), and I always loved the fact how it would add in events from the original trilogy and then some random ones (Vader/Luke discovering that a minor character has the potential to be trained as sith/jedi respectively, for example.).

Zarah
2009-05-07, 02:37 PM
The only part of EaW that I really enjoyed were the space battles. The strategy map was far too simple for my tastes, and ground battles were just plain infuriating. I wish there would have been more strategy to the game instead of "kill everything." That's the beauty of Rebellion. The most effective path is almost never simply outright attacking. There's countless paths to get around invading with a fleet, and coming up with elaborate plots was half the fun of the game.

I used to play this game all the time, always as the Empire. Definitely a fun game, though I just had the computer micromanage everything.
Heh, me too. Except shipyards. I always managed my shipyards myself in every game, since I didn't trust the computer to make good decisions on that front. Eventually, I started managing my construction yards too, but I still let the computer handle my garrisons, since I never did really worry about them. There's only so much micromanaging I can handle.

Me and my brother always had one unwritten rule when playing as the Empire. If we found Wedge, we would do everything in our power to assassinate him, for no real reason other than being Wedge. That was before we found out you can't kill major characters, so we started trying to capture him every time instead. Gotta feel sorry for the guy sometimes.

Rebellion is one of those games that age really well (well, not the space combat bit, but the rest of it...), and I always loved the fact how it would add in events from the original trilogy and then some random ones (Vader/Luke discovering that a minor character has the potential to be trained as sith/jedi respectively, for example.).
My favorite event is when Luke does a Mission on a planet where Vader is hiding, since they'll confront each other ala Empire Strikes Back. Usually followed by Luke disappearing to become a full fledged Jedi. It sucks to be without him for so long, but getting probably the best character in the game when he comes back is a pretty nice reward for waiting. :smalltongue:

Rebellion would really make a great Let's Play. I had an idea of writing a kind of campaign diary, from the perspective of the various characters as things happen around the galaxy, but never did go ahead with it. So many possibilities...

EENick
2009-05-07, 02:38 PM
That the force someone else remembers this game!

This is my all time favorite SW game and that is saying something considering how clunky and sometimes unbalanced the space combat could be.

I'm going to sound like a freak here but I've beaten the game several times as both sides. Nailing down that Rebel base IS hard, but since you can always retake the empire's home base I've found it is actually harder to loose as the empire since you don't have to rely on stealth so much.

Still my favorite part was the mod community! Rebed was one of the best game editors ever! You could change just about anything.

You could replace characters, ships, change stats, rework the galactic map etc. etc. the ONLY thing you couldn't change was the 3D models for space combat.

I made several mod games with my friends for Rebellion that were a ton of fun and played many more we downloaded from Rebellion sites! I swear to this day someone at BioWar must have been a Rebellion/Rebed fan 'cause a lot of there games have characters kind of similar to some fan content for Rebellion.

I wish they would cut the crap and make a Rebellion II already. It could be pretty cool if they set in the Legacy timeline.

Mr._Blinky
2009-05-07, 04:02 PM
Mods for Rebellion? Care to link a few good ones, I've never really thought of modding my copy...?

warty goblin
2009-05-07, 06:33 PM

Best description of Empire at War ever, given to me by a friend, and the largest Star Wards geek I know. "It was a fine game, but while you were playing it you kept being reminded that there was something more interesting you could be doing. Like watching the grass grow."

Pretty much sums up my feelings on the matter actually.

Trazoi
2009-05-07, 07:14 PM
I'm also going to sound like a strategy game freak, but I found Rebellion to be ridiculously easy. After a few play throughs I couldn't play as the Rebels, because I could conquer nearly all the galaxy via diplomacy before Luke headed off for his training with Yoda. The Empire was a fair bit more challenging as the rebels had the advantage of hiding and they didn't have as many good diplomats.

My strategy for the rebels:
To win over a sector as the rebels, all you needed to do find the planet that the Empire was holding by force due to their garrison. Send agents or troops to whittle them down, and diplomats to strengthen your support. Very soon that planet will switch allegience to you - which also causes every other planet in the sector to swing a little bit to you. There will now be a second planet that the Empire is holding by a thread, so repeat the process. Extremely soon you'll have converted the entire sector. It was a very cheesy tactic and the AI never seemed to have a counter for it.

Triaxx
2009-05-07, 08:17 PM
Until they managed to pull together a Deathstar. Nothing screws your efforts more than converting a planet and then seeing it turned to rubble.

Of course nothing was more satisfying than doing the same to the opposition.

Please, tell me I wasn't the only one to shut up 3P0?

loopy
2009-05-07, 08:59 PM
My tactics for every game amounted too:

1) Send my major characters on recruiting missions.
2) Send my research-capable characters on research missions.
3) Send *everyone* else on diplomacy missions. Yes. Everyone. Even the espionage junkies. It was fun having Chewbacca end up with 97 diplomacy by the end of the game.
4) Find planets with high amounts of production.
5) Completely fill the first with construction yards.
6) Completely fill the second and third with shipyards.
7) Completely fill the fourth with troop... training... thingies.
8) Queue massive massive fleets of ships, filled with fighters and troops.
9) Find the closest other-side-owned planet.
10) Chase away its fleet (my fleet being big enough to cause any opposing fleet to automatically run away, yay AI).
11) Sabotage planet defences.
12) Bomb planet.
13) Invade planet.
14) Send a diplomat to planet to make them forget they hate me.
15) Go to 9, repeat until either game is over or interdictors are researched.
16) Buy interdictor, go fleet hunting.
17) End game.

Logic
2009-05-07, 10:52 PM
Please, tell me I wasn't the only one to shut up 3P0?No, you were not the only one.

7) Completely fill the fourth with troop... training... thingies.I believe the word you are looking for is "Barracks."

Comparing Rebellion to Empire at War is an odd thing to pass the time, but I would have prefered some kind of ground based warfare other than "Invade Planet? Yes/No, followed immediatly by Pass/Fail. I liked that Empire at War had put some thought into the ground combat, but I felt that it needed some work. Not exactly sure how I would improve upon it, but it felt lacking, at least to me.

chiasaur11
2009-05-08, 12:41 AM
Me and my brother always had one unwritten rule when playing as the Empire. If we found Wedge, we would do everything in our power to assassinate him, for no real reason other than being Wedge. That was before we found out you can't kill major characters, so we started trying to capture him every time instead. Gotta feel sorry for the guy sometimes.

Well, of course you can't kill him.

He's Wedge.

Hawriel
2009-05-08, 02:21 AM
I loved capturing characters, then sticking them on the slowest transport I could find. I would then send that transport flying across the galexy between two planest on opposite sides of the map.

Mr._Blinky
2009-05-08, 04:43 PM
I loved capturing characters, then sticking them on the slowest transport I could find. I would then send that transport flying across the galexy between two planest on opposite sides of the map.

Stick as many of them on it as you can and rename it the Botany Bay and we've got ourselves a winner. :smallbiggrin:

nooblade
2009-05-08, 07:16 PM
Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Rebellion-Pc/dp/B00000K514) says this game costs nearly $200! Whyyy?

I'm sure it really doesn't. The sticker on the box in "customer picture" says $50. Is it in local game stores for cheap or could it be mostly sold out?

If I were really into getting this game, that would be the kind of situation that induces software piracy. And I instantly feel more empathy for pirates than ever before, just looking at that 200$ pricetag.

Philistine
2009-05-08, 08:15 PM
The game is several years old, so it's very unlikely you'd find a copy in a store. Buying it secondhand is the only (legitimate) option available now, thus the extortionate price for a used copy.

Triaxx
2009-05-09, 05:46 AM
It's like so many other used games that are just that fun. There are so few people willing to sell, so the price is very high.

Mr._Blinky
2009-05-09, 11:16 AM
Indeed, last time I looked for copies of Planescape: Torment or System Shock 2 online they were selling for $50 a piece. :smalleek:

Krytha
2009-05-10, 03:40 AM
I killed Wedge last game with an assassination mission. And I accidentally killed Piett this game with an abduction mission. Nooooo!!! Guess which one I feel bad about..

SolkaTruesilver
2009-05-10, 03:52 AM
I killed Wedge last game with an assassination mission. And I accidentally killed Piett this game with an abduction mission. Nooooo!!! Guess which one I feel bad about..

Sorry mate, but you aren't a tough guy until you ordered Chewbacca to be killed.

And succeeded.

Krytha
2009-05-10, 07:47 AM
Sorry mate, but you aren't a tough guy until you ordered Chewbacca to be killed.

And succeeded.

I dont have the heart, but I doubt it would be as difficult as you suggest. Labansat, Noval Garaint, Vader and anyone else with a combat score of over 100 and a couple of assassination missions later hes hurt and a few after that hes dead.

SolkaTruesilver
2009-05-10, 08:19 AM
I dont have the heart, but I doubt it would be as difficult as you suggest. Labansat, Noval Garaint, Vader and anyone else with a combat score of over 100 and a couple of assassination missions later hes hurt and a few after that hes dead.

You think I meant "Difficult"?

[QUOTE=Krytha;6086444]I dont have the heart[QUOTE]

This is what I am talking about. You aren't a real commander until you've orderer a friend to die.

You aren't a real warrior until you ordered the friendliest character's execution.

(So sad the Rebellion don't assassinate. I don't know if I could keep up with my own standards. I don't know if I could bring myself to assassinate either Thrawn or Pellaeon. :smalleek:)

Killing Wedge? Pfff... small potatoes.

Krytha
2009-05-10, 09:53 AM
Killing Wedge? Pfff... small potatoes.

I wasn't referring to it as difficult, someone was saying that it was impossible to murder wedge as a game mechanic - and I was saying "not so".

SolkaTruesilver
2009-05-10, 10:01 AM
I wasn't referring to it as difficult, someone was saying that it was impossible to murder wedge as a game mechanic - and I was saying "not so".

(please take my posts with the humor it was written with. killing characters isn't hard in that game if you are the Empire, but some weaklings might have stupid things such as emotions preventing them to do so)