PDA

View Full Version : [Spell] Block Arcana

Hellseeker
2006-08-10, 08:21 PM
This spell is designed for the clerics in a nation where Arcane spellcasters are basically outlaws... its a first draft, but I'd kinda like a second opinion. Thankee!

Block Arcana
Abjuration
Level: Clr 2
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 full-round action
Range: Close (25 ft +5 ft/2 levels)
Target: One arcane spellcaster
Duration: Concentration + 2 rounds
Saving Throw: Will
Spell Resistance: Yes

Block Arcana temporarily cuts one mage off from the Arcanic power which courses through his veins.

The target arcane spellcaster who fails his will save is suddenly and inexplicably cut from the source of his arcane power. He can not cast any spells or use any spell-like abilities for the duration of the spell.

Block Arcana affects a mage of 1 caster level per 2 caster levels of the caster.

The mage gets an additional saving throw every rounds the spell remains in effect.

tgva8889
2006-08-10, 08:35 PM
First, every rounds is definately not what you meant to say. Every round I think you meant.

Second, this spell is definately very, very good. I care to think that you wouldn't want to have your wizard turned into a useless human for the duration of the spell (which is automatically at least 2 rounds) while the rest of the party goes off and kills the cleric. This is around 4th or 5th level, as well. In the saving throw line, you should also put "Will Negates", so we know that will completely negates the spell.

In a specific game world, however, this spell may fit perfectly. Seems like something a cleric would want to do. However, it does not seem possible by such a low-level cleric. I would probably limit it to a domain spell so not EVERY cleric in the world can cast it, just a good number. I mean, who would want to be a wizard in a world where clerics walk around that can prevent you from doing what you do best with a couple words and some hand motions? I suggest at least level 3 or 4, so that not every cleric can do it, only highly ranked ones. Seems quite powerful.

Hellseeker
2006-08-10, 10:34 PM
Thanks tgva! That is extremely helpful. I'm putting it as a level 4 domain-only spell.

RoboticSheeple
2006-08-10, 11:04 PM
lvl 4 it, create a domain for it, maybe something like:
Anti-Magic
Granted: +3 to caster lvl checks for Dispel magic and like spells.
1 N's Magic Aura
2 Silence
3 Dispel Magic
4 Block Arcana
5 Feeblemind
6 Dispel Magic, Greater
7 Antimagic Field
8 Dimensional Lock
9 M’s Disjunction

TheOOB
2006-08-11, 03:51 AM
Its essentially just a lower level feeblemind, sure they keep their mental stats, but we know that losing spells is the real reason you cast feeblemind.

I also don't see why it doesn't affect divine casters. In all reality its easier to block off magic from a divine caster then an arcane caster, as arcane casters grab whatever magic is avaible, but divine casters need a link to the specific source to their power.

I would suggest instead is a ray spell that allows now save and forces the target to make a spellcraft check to cast a spell/use a spell-like ability. The DC should be something like 10+caster level, something that equal level targets would have little problum succeding on on a regular basis, but would ruin lower level casters.

Fizban
2006-08-11, 04:23 AM
This reminds me of two spells: one that cuts off a divine caster for the duration (concentration), and a 9th lvl fog that reduces CL by 4. I don't remeber which book either was in, but I know the cleric null was really high lvl (6th?). I would suggest that you instead have it lower their caster level by 1/2 levels, and if if falls to 0, they can't cast anything. I don't know what level that would be though.

Hellseeker
2006-08-11, 09:35 AM
I also don't see why it doesn't affect divine casters. In all reality its easier to block off magic from a divine caster then an arcane caster, as arcane casters grab whatever magic is avaible, but divine casters need a link to the specific source to their power.

Tis my campaign setting--arcane magic works sorta like the One Power in the Wheel of Time books. Thus, its supposed to be like shielding a spellcaster in those books. If you are at all familiar with them.