PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a divine skillmonkey PrC

Salt_Crow
2009-05-04, 10:27 PM
Hey all.

Is there any PrC that advances cleric casting 10/10 and doesn't require any sneak attack progression?

I did look at a few sneaky divine PrCs (including Divine Trickster, yes) but most of them either required sneak attack dice or lost precious caster levels (in a few cases both).

Character's a human with CE alignment if it helps ;)

kpenguin
2009-05-04, 10:31 PM
Divine Prankster provides full casting progression and needs no sneak attack, but its a Garl Glittergold gnome cleric specific class, so I'm not sure how much help its going to be. You could always ask your GM to adapt it to whatever deity you currently have.

woodenbandman
2009-05-04, 10:44 PM
What exactly are you looking for? Are you a Cloistered Cleric? Those get tons of skillpoints.

Divine Prankster is 10/10 and good skills and stuff, too. Divine Oracle's not bad either, 'cuz it gets all kinds of divination focused stuff. Rather than sneak up on it, just ask jesus!

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-05-04, 10:45 PM
You could just go Cloistered Cleric 20. That gets you the skill points, and Domain choice gets you the class skills(I recommend Kobold and Trickery).

dspeyer
2009-05-04, 10:48 PM
For simple skills/divine, I don't know of anything better than the cloistered cleric from UA. If you're already a cleric and looking to add skills, your DM might be willing to let you shift between variants.

For true PRCs, there's loremaster. It's only 4+int but has some moderately nifty bonuses (and easy-to-meet prerequisites). There's also seeker of the misty isle, but that's elf-only.

Zaq
2009-05-04, 10:53 PM
I'll assume you mean "any PrC that advances cleric spellcasting and gives at least 4 if not 6 skill points per level," right? Because there are plenty of 10/10 cleric PrCs out there that have nothing to do with sneak attack, so...

Anyway, I can't think of anything. There are a few that come close, but all of them fall flat for one reason or another. Seeker of the Misty Isle gives 6+INT and doesn't lose a caster level until 4th, but requires you to be an elf or half-elf. Fochlucan Lyrist will, technically, give 6+INT and advance cleric casting 10/10, but has its own special problems. (Also, you have to be partially neutral, so there's that too.) Ruathar will give 3/3 spellcasting and good skills per level, but it's nothing special. (Also, who wants to be a friend to the elves? Friggin' elves.)

Complete Champion comes closer to what you want. Holt Warden has 4+INT and 10/10 spellcasting, but you'll need the Plant domain to get in, and your alignment's off. Paragnostic Apostle gives 4+INT and full casting but is only 5 levels long.

I guess that Ruathar and Paragnostic Apostle combined will give you 8/8 spellcasting and either 4+INT or 6+INT per level, so that's pretty close. I doubt the fluff for either fits your character, but they technically exist.

Thrall of Demogorgon and Thrall of Grazzt both advance spellcasting at their first level and give 4+INT per level. They lose casting classes after that, and your character build starts looking really weird if you want to try to mix all of these, but hey, one level in each of those combined with Ruathar and PA as I mentioned above is technically 10 levels of cleric spellcasting with 4+INT or better per level. Somehow I doubt it's what you're looking for, but technically, you could do it.

Divine Prankster is 10/10 with 6+INT, but requires you to be a gnome and a worshiper of Garl Glittergold.

I'm about out of ideas, sorry.

Chronos
2009-05-05, 12:08 AM
You could just go Cloistered Cleric 20. That gets you the skill points, and Domain choice gets you the class skills(I recommend Kobold and Trickery).More or less what I was going to recommend, but the racial domains are hard to justify if you're not that race. Instead, I'd go Ninja 1/Cloistered Cleric 19, and take the Able Learner feat (requires human, but that's not so bad anyway). You could also use Rogue, Scout, or Factotum instead of Ninja, but getting Wis to AC is nice. The net effect is that you're nearly as good a skillmonkey as a straight Rogue 20 is, but also get 19 levels of cleric casting.

Myrmex
2009-05-05, 12:16 AM
An archivist entrance into a Divine Prankster class would mean int is your highest stat. The only down side is lack of in class skills and trapfinding. That means either multiclassing or something involving regional feats and a specific race.

Olo Demonsbane
2009-05-05, 08:54 AM
The Giant made this one... (http://www.giantitp.com/articles/5M5QGsJ5mpbLfAHduZG.html)

Eldariel
2009-05-05, 09:12 AM
Ruathar from Races of the Wild works. It covers many skills Cloistered Cleric normally misses (and can't cover with domains - Spot, Listen, Hide, Move Silently & Survival) and still has 4+Int skills.

Mostly though, I'd just go straight Cloistered Cleric (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#clericVariantCloistere dCleric) with possible 1-level dips in Contemplative (for the extra domain), Divine Oracle (for the extra domain) and maybe 2-3 levels of Ruathar for those few extra skills.

Then just cover as many skills as possible with your Domains and go to town.

Salvonus
2009-05-05, 09:51 AM
Just to add to the point about Seeker of the Misty Isle, it doesn't lose any CL according to the text. :smallsmile: As with the Sacred Fist, there was no mention in the errata. Honestly, I don't even think it's unbalanced compared to other Cleric PrCs when given full casting... YMMV, though - you could always check with the DM. If you remove the Misty Isle fluff and open it up to other races, it's a pretty neat little class.

Cloistered Cleric is your best bet, though, if you want stuff that works by RAW. Getting the Kobold Domain is usually questionable from a fluff perspective, though, so, if you can't get the Domain altered into something more acceptable, the usual way to do a Cloistered Cleric Skill Monkey is by making a Human Rogue, Scout, or Factotum 1/Cloistered Cleric 19 with the Able Learner feat.

Eldariel
2009-05-05, 10:02 AM
There is a way to get the Kobold-domain for anyone though:
Planar Touchstone: Catalogues of Enlightement

Planar Touchstone is a feat in Planar Handbook that allows you to bind with a Planar site. Catalogues of Enlightement is a planar site that grants you the granted power of a domain of your choice. So, a Cleric can pick that up and acquire the Kobold-domain powers regardless of what he serves.

There are additional boons to this whole arrangement, but getting Trapfinding & Search+Disable Device is the big one.

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-05-05, 05:39 PM
Cloistered Cleric20. Use the spell Find Traps (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/findTraps.htm) and persist on yourself. For locks, I suggest either the Destruction or Chaos domain to pick up Shatter. There's your locks and your traps.

Now then, for Party face, a few good Charm Persons will go a long way, although you may need to upgrade to Dominate eventually. However, you also get Diplomacy. With the Trickery domain, you also get Bluff.

For sneaking around, look no further than the spells Silence and Mislead (also from Trickery domain, and can be DMM Persisted for all-day-long fun). Mislead is an often-overlooked but fun spell which is Improved Invisibility + a fake of yourself that you can move around wherever.

Anything else?

Thurbane
2009-05-05, 06:37 PM
A human Factotum 1/Cloistered Cleric 19 with the Able Learner feat effectively gets every skill as a class skill and only loses 1 level of casting.

Chronos
2009-05-05, 07:18 PM
You can also pick up class skills (and extra spells known) with the initiate feats:

Arcane Insight (RoD): Know(arcana)
Dread Tyranny (RoD): Intimidate
Far Horizons (RoD): Climb, Jump, and Swim
Initiate of Aasterinian (DM): Bluff, Disguise, Speak Language, and Sleight of Hand
Initiate of Arvoreen (CoV): Hide and Move Silently
Initiate of Astilabor (DM): Disable Device, Open Lock, and Search
Initiate of Ehlonna (Dr342): Handle Animal and Survival
Initiate of Gond (PGtF): Disable Device and Open Lock
Initiate of Lendys (DM): Gather Info and Sense Motive
Initiate of Olidammara (Dr342): Gather Info, Sleight of Hand, and Tumble
Initiate of Shar (CoR): Bluff and Hide
Initiate of Tiamat (DM): Intimidate
Nightbringer Initiate (FoE): Hide, Move Silently
Whispered Secrets (RoD): Listen and Spot

They're tied to worshiping a particular deity, though, so I don't think you can take more than one.

Curmudgeon
2009-05-05, 07:53 PM
Ruathar from Races of the Wild works. It covers many skills Cloistered Cleric normally misses (and can't cover with domains - Spot, Listen, Hide, Move Silently & Survival) The Sky domain (also Races of the Wild) adds Spot to the Cleric class list. Trickery adds Hide. Travel and Weather both add Survival.

Eldariel
2009-05-05, 07:58 PM
The Sky domain (also Races of the Wild) adds Spot to the Cleric class list. Trickery adds Hide. Travel and Weather both add Survival.

Yeah, but out of those you'd mostly probably be looking at Trickery and maybe Travel (mostly for the spells; it actually makes for a fine choice Domain Spontaneity-wise). For a Cleric trying to build a respectable skillmonkey list, Domain granted powers are a precious resource indeed.