PDA

View Full Version : A SW dueling game I made [PEACH]

Were-Sandwich
2006-08-04, 02:11 PM
Jedi Arena

Each player gets one character. Each character has three stats. Each stat is between 1 and 10, except Health which has no maximum.

• Skill
• Health
• Force

Skill is the measure of a characters skill with a Lightsabre, and is used when they attack or defend with a Lightsabre.

Health is how much damage a character can take before dying. Characters lose health from falling, being sliced up with a lightsabre, or being attacked with a force power. A character automatically starts with 5 Health. Points are used to increase this.

Force is how attuned the character is to the Force. It is used to determine the success or failure of the characters force attacks.

Stats are determined by apportioning 20 points between them, on a 1:1 basis. A character then has 20 points to spend on abilities and force powers. An ability costs 2 points. Force power ranks are bought on a 1:1 basis.

Abilities

Twin Sabres
When the character attacks twice in the same turn, he gains a +1 on Skill rolls, used offensively. If your opponent also has Twin Sabres, the ability is cancelled. A character cannot have Twin Sabres and Sabrestaff.

Sabrestaff
When the character attacks twice in the same round, he gains +1 on Skill rolls, used defensively. If your opponent also has Sabrestaff, the ability is cancelled. A character cannot have Twin Sabres and Sabrestaff.

Snap Kick
When the character attacks twice in the same round, and hits with at least one, he may immediately make an extra attack. This attack is at -2 Skills, and does not deal any damage. However, if it hits, your opponent is knocked prone.

Power Attack
At the beginning of your turn, you may decide whether or not to activate this ability. If you do, you gain a +2 bonus on Skill rolls made offensively, but take a -2 penalty on Skill rolls made defensively.

Combat Expertise
At the beginning of your turn, you may decide whether or not to activate this ability. If you do, you gain a +2 bonus on Skill rolls made defensively, but take a -2 penalty on Skill rolls made offensively.

Combat Precognition
At the beginning of your turn, you may pay 1 Force. If you do, you gain +1 on Skill rolls used defensively until your next turn.

Combat Prescience
At the beginning of your turn, you may pay 1 Force. If you do, you gain +1 on Skill rolls used offensively.

Sith Rage
When you make an attack, you may pay 1 force and 1 health. If you do, you gain a +3 on Skill rolls used offensively until you next turn. Dark Side only

Jedi Meditation
During the Force Phase, you may forgo gaining 1 Force, in order to gain a +1 bonus to your Force Stat until your next turn. Light Side only

Force Powers
Force powers are bought in ranks. Each Rank costs 1 point. When you Use a Force Power, roll a number of d10s equal to your Force Stat. Each roll that is equal to or under your number of Ranks in the force power being used is a success. The number of successes affects how well the power functions. A power costs a number of Force to use, equal to he number of successes you rolled. If you roll to many successes for your current Force total, you may either pay the deficit in Health, or reduce the number of successes to an allowable level.
The target can cancel the power if he spends an amount of Force equal to the number of successes plus 2
Each character starts off with 10 Force. Force is expended through powers, but each character gains 1 force each turn, but his total can never go above 10.

Move Object
With Move object, you can hurl your foes around, or bring objects to your hand. The number of successes necessary to produce specific effects is given below:
Knock an opponent back 1 square: 3
Knock an opponent prone: 2
Ignore terrain for 1 turn: 2 successes
Jump up one level without using a ramp/stairs: 3

Force Speed
With Force Speed, you move extremely quickly. The number of successes necessary to produce specific effects is shown below:
Immediately move 6 squares: 3
Immediately make a Lightsabre attack: 5

Force Lightning
Dark Side only. You zap your opponent with lightning. Force Lightning has a range of 12 squares. You deal damage equal to the number of successes you roll. You and your oppoenet must make opposed Skill checks. If you lose, the power deals no damage.

Force Grip
Dark Side only. You choke your opponent with the Force. Force Choke has a range of 6 squares. You deal damage equal to the number of successes -1, and your opponent must immediately lose 1 force to break your hold, or be unable to move for 1 turn.

Force Drain
Dark Side only. You sap your opponents Force, and us it to replenish your Health. Force Drain has a range of 12 squares. Your opponent loses an amount of Force equal to the number of successes you roll, and you gain half that amount of Health.

Force Heal
Light Side only. You heal yourself with the Force. You gain a number of Health equal to your number of successes.

Force Protect
Light Side only. You put up a protective barrier of the Force. Until your next turn, whenever you take damage, reduce it by the number of successes you rolled divided by 2.

Force Absorb
Light Side only. You use your foes anger to replenish your Force reserve. Until your next turn, whenever you are damaged you regain an amount of Force equal to your number of successes.

Battle Sense
You use the Force to become increasingly aware of your surroundings. You gain a bonus to your skill equal to the number of successes you roll. This bonus lasts until your next turn.

Force Disruption
You disrupt the Force in an area around you. Everyone within 6 squares loses an amount of Force equal to your number of successes.

Turn Sequence
• Force Phase
o Gain 1 Force
o Use 1 Force Power
• Action Phase

Initiative
In a normal 1v1 duel, initiative is not necessary. The Dark Side player goes first, followed by the Light Side player. In multiplayer games however, it works like this:
In team play, everyone rolls a d10, then the highest scoring Dark Side player goes first, then the highest scoring Light side player, then the second highest Dark Side player etc. Do not re-roll initiative at the beginning of each turn. Simply continue in this order until the game is finished.
In free for alls, everyone rolls a d10, then everyone simply goes in order rolled.

Force phase
At the beginning of your force phase you gain 1 Force. Then you may use 1 Force power. You may only use 1 Force power each turn.

Action Phase
In your action phase you have 2 actions. An action can be used to do one of the following things:

• Move 6 squares
• Make a lightsabre attack
• Stand up from Prone

Lightsabre Attacks
When you make a lightsabre attack, roll a d10, and add you Skill plus any offensive Skill modifiers. Your opponent then rolls 1d10 and adds his Skill and any defensive Skill modifiers. For every point the attacker rolls higher than the defender, the defender loses one Health. Once the defender reaches 0 Health, they die. Lightsabre attacks may only be made into adjacent squares.

Stand up from Prone
Some Force Powers or Abilities knock a character prone. Whilst Prone, a character cannot move, and takes a -2 to Skill rolls made defensively.

The arena
The arena can be anything, from a ship to a bridge over a river of lava. It is marked out in squares, with details drawn on. Raised areas should be denoted somehow. They may be accessed by using Move Object to jump up, or by using a ramp, stairs or lift.

Game types
The simplest type is one on one duel. This is generally Light vs Dark side, although duels between members of the same faction are not prohibited.
More than two players can play, but then special initiative rules detailed above must be used. Multiplayer games can be either Team based or Free for All, although many game types could be imagined.

Sorry for the lack of formatting, it doesn't copy from Word very well. I created this because I was bored, and had just been playing multiplayer on JK2. I designed it so you could PbP if necessary. So wadda ya think?

Altair_the_Vexed
2006-08-04, 06:11 PM
PbP..? Do it! ;D

I like that it covers all the combat but doesn't bother with anything else that much. Let's face it, combat is where you really need rules, everything else can be role played.

Were-Sandwich
2006-08-05, 05:33 AM
Um. It ain't an RPG. Its just a Jedi and a Sith kicking the spoon out of each other. But I suppose you could do an RPG campaign if you wanted to. A lot of the Force powers are from JK2/SWRPG.

Jarl
2006-08-05, 05:41 AM
Add Force Destruction (from Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II) and I'll haunt you for the rest of your days, performing lovely lewdnesses on you in your sleep.

-For a mental description, it's a big honkin orange ball of death that shoots out and knocks people around, simultaneously cooking them. It disappears on impact, temporarily paralyzing it's target or just causing a massive shunting of energy outwards, spherically, if it doesn't hit a real target.

Were-Sandwich
2006-08-05, 06:48 AM
So. Um. People like it then. Cool. Working on Force Destruction. But then I have to think of another Light Side power to keep it even.

Me and DEMONhunter are playtesting the game here (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=play_ooc;action=display;num=11547857 90;start=0#0)

As a result of Playtesting, I have decided to automatically give everyone 5 Health. Otherwise, you die to quickly.

DEMONhunter
2006-08-06, 05:40 AM
Is this going to be in addition to your health score, or just five health total for everyone?

Were-Sandwich
2006-08-06, 05:44 AM
In addition. Force lightning also now requires a Skill roll to hit.

Me and my brother playtested this. He Power Attacked, Combat Prescienced, the attacked me twice. I got lucky on the first attack, but the second knocked me down to 2 Health. I attacked back, taking advantage of his reduced Skill, but couldn't do enough damage. He had no Force, so I couldn't Drain him. Then he repeated and killed me.

Were-Sandwich
2006-08-06, 07:51 AM
Strengthened Force Absorb, as per DEMONhunters suggestion.

Altair_the_Vexed
2006-08-07, 05:15 AM
Okay, let's go.

Talex Vai, Light Side Jedi
Skill 8
Health 9
Force 8

Jedi Meditation
Combat Prescience

Force Absorb 6
Force Disruption 6
Force Heal 4

See you in the arena.

Jarl
2006-08-11, 12:16 AM
People like it then. Cool. Working on Force Destruction.
Blinding and persuasion (invisibility).
That's how it worked in JK, at least. There was Blinding, Persuasion, Heal, Absorb, and Protect was the Uber Power. For the Darkside, it was Grip, Throw, Lightning, Destruction, and then Deadly Sight as the Uber Power.

-DS sucked, though.