PDA

View Full Version : Is It Possible Wield Large 2-Handed Weapon as Medium Character With Monkey Grip?

Lord of Syntax
2009-05-05, 02:48 PM
My Character Has Feat Monkey Grip and He Found A +1 Heavy Flail. Can He Use It? Sorry For My English, It is not My Mother TOunge! :smallredface:

Tar Palantir
2009-05-05, 02:51 PM
Yes, but for future reference, such questions belong in the thread titled "Simple Questions by RAW."

RTGoodman
2009-05-05, 03:03 PM
Monkey Grip allows you to wield a weapon of a size one larger than normal (so Large weapons for a Medium character) with a -2 penalty on attack rolls. It doesn't change the "handedness" (light, one-handed, two-handed), so could wield your new large +1 heavy flail in two hands with a -2 atk penalty.

Devils_Advocate
2009-05-05, 11:58 PM
Sorry For My English, It is not My Mother TOunge! :smallredface:
Hey, it looks pretty good to me. Just one small tip, though: Capitalization is for a letter at the beginning of a sentence or at the start of a proper noun (a name, in other words), and for the first person pronoun "I". It's not supposed to be applied to the first letter of every word, except in a title. So doing that in the title of a post is OK*, but doing it with the entire opening post makes it look sort of weird (if still quite readable).

Just for future reference.

*Abbreviations are also often capitalized to indicate that they stand for something.

Talic
2009-05-06, 12:25 AM
Monkey Grip allows you to wield a weapon of a size one larger than normal (so Large weapons for a Medium character) with a -2 penalty on attack rolls. It doesn't change the "handedness" (light, one-handed, two-handed), so could wield your new large +1 heavy flail in two hands with a -2 atk penalty.

Provided a Heavy Flail is a two handed weapon, no. Making it a Large weapon then makes it a category other than "Light, one-handed, or two-handed", which means not at all.

Now, to answer the question.

If you have a pair of 2 handed weapons, and monkey grip, yes, you can wield them.

You will take the following penalties.
-2 / -2 : A Penalty to each weapon for fighting two-handed.
-2 / -2 : Another Penalty, because your off hand weapon is not light.
-2 / -0 : A penalty for the first weapon, for being Monkey-Gripped.
-0 / -2 : A penalty for the second weapon, for being Monkey-Gripped.

Total Penalty: -6 to all attacks.

If the weapon were a Large one-handed weapon (such as an Ogre's Longsword), it could still be done (as large one-handed weapons are considered two-handed weapons for medium creatures), with an additonal -2 penalty. (-8/-8)

If you don't have Two-Weapon Fighting, you would need to add an additional -2 / -4 penalty to the above.

So a warrior who was captured by ogres, and grabbed two Ogre longswords to fight his way out, would have a total penalty of -8/-8, if he had monkey grip and Two weapon fighting.

If he just had monkey grip, it'd be -10/-12. But then, if he just had monkey grip, he'd probably only want 1 ogre longsword, and then fight with it two handed at a -2 penalty. (no dual wield, no monkey grip used) If he also found a shield, maybe a -4 penalty to sword and board it.

RTGoodman
2009-05-06, 01:10 AM
Provided a Heavy Flail is a two handed weapon, no. Making it a Large weapon then makes it a category other than "Light, one-handed, or two-handed", which means not at all.

I don't get what you're saying here. Monkey Grip (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Monkey_Grip,CW)'s entire purpose is to let you use a weapon one size bigger, regardless of what category it's in.

Benefit: You can use melee weapons one size category larger than you are with a -2 penalty on the attack roll, but the amount of effort it rakes you to use the weapon does not change. [...] You can wield a larger light weapon as a light weapon, or a larger two-handed weapon in two hands. You cannot wield a larger weapon in your off-hand, and you cannot use this feat with a double weapon.

A heavy flail is a martial two-handed weapon. A Medium character can wield a Medium heavy flail in two hands, while a Large character can wield a Large heavy flail in two hands. A Medium character with Monkey Grip can wield a Large heavy flail (a "melee weapon one size category larger" than he is) with a -2 attack penalty, but the effort to wield it doesn't change (so it's still two-handed).

Talic
2009-05-06, 01:13 AM
Ah, then I misread. Still, it's a horrible feat.

RTGoodman
2009-05-06, 01:17 AM
Yeah, pretty much. I think withOUT Monkey Grip you can wield larger weapons and THAT'S when the handedness category changes, but I'm not sure.

O course, most people I've ever played with started with 3.0 weapon size rules, whereas I started with 3.5's (which were different), and a lot of folks seem to play with some weird hybrid of the two anyway.

Roderick_BR
2009-05-06, 07:43 PM

Now, to answer the question.
(...)
Just for clarification: That is the 3.0 version.
The updated 3.5 is different. It just allows you to wield a weapon one size category larger as if you were using a normal weapon for your size (with the -2 penalty), so you can wield a large 2-handed weapon as normal. Without it, you can only wield a large 1-handed as if it were a 2-handed (with a -4 penalty instead of -2).