PDA

View Full Version : Daily Fiction Fix

SOdhner
2009-05-05, 05:08 PM
I've recently challenged myself to post a short story every single day for a year. By 'short' I mean generally under six hundred words.

I need help, though - I need to feel like people are reading it to keep my motivation up and I also need to know what people like and don't like so that I can improve over time.

So, if anyone has time or just wants a daily fix of short stories, please stop by!

The Rest of Your Mice (http://therestofyourmice.blogspot.com/)

Rutskarn
2009-05-05, 06:09 PM
I commend your resolve, and have duly recognized your efforts by reading several of your pieces.

Shine on, you crazy writing diamond. Shine on.

Phase
2009-05-05, 09:41 PM
Hmm... I'll need to check this out...

Icewalker
2009-05-05, 09:53 PM
Wow, quite an undertaking. This seems like something you'll be really glad you've done in the future, to look back on as well as for general writing experience. Awesome project.

Read #20, I liked it. I'll probably go back and read more, maybe start following consistently.

Trizap
2009-05-05, 11:23 PM
I appreciate the effort......but really, its the quality of the work, not the quantity I pay attention to. who cares if you write a hundred stories in one hundred days, if they are all poorly written?

Canadian
2009-05-06, 08:10 PM
Try taking a writing course instead. You might make some new friends there. A much better way of occupying your time.

SOdhner
2009-05-06, 09:17 PM
I appreciate the effort......but really, its the quality of the work, not the quantity I pay attention to. who cares if you write a hundred stories in one hundred days, if they are all poorly written?

Well of course quality is important - I happen to feel that I'm already good enough for public display, although still below professional level obviously.

Your comment comes across as saying my stories are poorly written... have you read any of them? If so, do you have any specific constructive criticism? If not, maybe you should give them a shot.

Try taking a writing course instead. You might make some new friends there. A much better way of occupying your time.

... I'm not really sure what to say to that. You really think the only reason to practice something is that you have a lack of friends and an abundance of free time?

Writing classes are hit-and-miss. You pay for them, and some will just tell you to do what I'm already doing. The whole goal here is to practice and (hopefully) get some constructive criticism from people.

Look at Schlock Mercenary (http://www.schlockmercenary.com/). It's a fantastic webcomic, but when it started (http://www.schlockmercenary.com/d/20000612.html) the art was... well, not great. He had a talent for storytelling and some great ideas, and he just started working - and look at the art now!

I don't suck at writing, but I want to be better. I need to practice, and doing it in this format keeps me from giving up. So if you like short stories, stop on by (http://therestofyourmice.blogspot.com/) and see what you think. If you don't... well, why are you even reading this?

Felixaar
2009-05-06, 09:34 PM
Bah! Writing Classes. Rarely worth your time.

Anyway, I've got to say, this is a pretty amazing project - way to go as far as taking it on. I'll definitely be checking this out, and best of luck!

Also, I might steal your idea next year :smallconfused: fair warning :smalltongue:

SOdhner
2009-05-08, 11:44 AM
Shine on, you crazy writing diamond. Shine on.
Read #20, I liked it. I'll probably go back and read more, maybe start following consistently.

Thanks guys! And thanks to everyone that has been stopping by!

Also, I might steal your idea next year :smallconfused: fair warning :smalltongue:

If you do, let me know and I'll link to you.

Berserk Monk
2009-05-09, 02:31 AM
You could do an inkblot test. Analyze what you see, turn it into a story.

Icewalker
2009-05-09, 02:52 AM
Just read another one, also a very entertaining concept. Arkship out of heaven. Nice.

I don't have the time at the moment, but I may pick this up in a few days once my schedule opens up again, and read through them. Definitely an awesome project.

Hell, maybe it'll help me out a bit with writing. See what works, what doesn't...

Yarram
2009-05-10, 06:09 AM
I like your story idea's, but most of them read as recounts to me. Maybe you should try writing longer stories? More simple ideas? I don't know, I'm just a critic.