PDA

View Full Version : [D&D 3.5] Bag of Holding combat

Coidzor
2009-05-05, 07:58 PM
So as far as I know there is no actual ruling on what kind of rolling would be necessary to attempt to capture a creature within a sufficiently large bag of holding.

Specifically though, what I'm curious about is the viability of using a bag of holding full of daggers or some other suitably damaging substance or objects and bringing it down over the head of a creature.

Zeful
2009-05-05, 08:20 PM
I'd probably be a special grapple check or something. But filling a bag of holding with daggers isn't too good a strategy. The daggers could pierce the bag... unless that's your intention. It's a cool way to die at least, it would be interesting in the afterlife at least.

"How'd you die?"
"My head is lost forever!"

Rhiannon87
2009-05-05, 08:23 PM
In one of my games we're carrying around a cursed bag of holding for exactly this purpose. Our DM ruled that attacking in this manner would be resolved like a grapple check; they get an AoO, you roll against their AC, opposed grapples. If you succeed: bag over head, Astral Plane monster goes nom nom nom, instant kill. I may attempt to use this strategy on the next BBEG we face (my character's father... that'll be fun explaining at the funeral).

I'm not sure how you'd resolve the damage of being trapped in a bag with dozens of daggers or piles of broken glass or angry badgers, but honestly that kind of thing doesn't matter so much... anything inside a bag of holding will suffocate in a few minutes anyway. Of course, if whatever you've trapped in there has a sharp pointy object, they can try to pierce the bag, thus destroying it.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-05-05, 08:28 PM
It would be interesting to kill someone with a punctured Bag of Holding. They don't die but are 'Lost Forever', meaning they can't be brought back. Leave them a pack of cards, maybe, to help with the boredom. Beating a 9th level spell for 2,500 is pretty nice.

Zeful
2009-05-05, 09:13 PM
It would be interesting to kill someone with a punctured Bag of Holding. They don't die but are 'Lost Forever', meaning they can't be brought back. Leave them a pack of cards, maybe, to help with the boredom. Beating a 9th level spell for 2,500 is pretty nice.

The body is lost forever, but when they suffocate and die, there's no reason in the rules that prevent the soul from going to the afterlife. But there's no body so everything other than reincarnate and true rezz won't work.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-05-05, 09:18 PM
The body is lost forever, but when they suffocate and die, there's no reason in the rules that prevent the soul from going to the afterlife. But there's no body so everything other than reincarnate and true rezz won't work.The BoH is destroyed, though, not lost forever, so they're not still inside it. Alternatively, since their soul was inside it when punctured, it is lost forever even after death(probably becomes a vestige). If your DM doesn't support that interpretation, toss in a Ring of Sustenance and a Bottle of Air. Now they live forever. Yeah, it's 12K, but I've had a couple BBEGs I'd do that to.

Zeful
2009-05-05, 09:33 PM
The BoH is destroyed, though, not lost forever, so they're not still inside it. If your DM doesn't support that interpretation, toss in a Ring of Sustenance and a Bottle of Air. Now they live forever. Yeah, it's 12K, but I've had a couple BBEGs I'd do that to.

Their not going to live forever though. Even with a bottle of Air and ring of sustenance, they would still die when their maximum life span is reached. At this point, what happens after the bag is pierced is DM fiat.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-05-05, 09:40 PM
Their not going to live forever though. Even with a bottle of Air and ring of sustenance, they would still die when their maximum life span is reached. At this point, what happens after the bag is pierced is DM fiat.But they can't be brought back from Old Age, and that's far enough down the road it doesn't matter. I get annoyed by guys who come back monthly, not guys who show up once every 60+years.

JoshuaZ
2009-05-05, 09:57 PM
But they can't be brought back from Old Age, and that's far enough down the road it doesn't matter. I get annoyed by guys who come back monthly, not guys who show up once every 60+years.

So they kill themselves while in the bag so they can be true resurrected by a minion elsewhere. Also, a wish or miracle should reasonably be able to get them out of the bag (or if cast by an ally transport them over).

Better bet: Kill them. Zombify them. Stick the zombie in the bag. Put the bag in an area with a permanent anti-magic field. No one can access the contents (because of the anti-magic field) and even true resurrection won't work if the body is currently an undead creature. If you can't get the anti-magic field this still works pretty well. Bag of holding and a 3rd level spell (4th level for arcane casters) and you can duplicate the effects of a 9th level spell.

Or if you want to be even meaner, make multiple undead from different parts of the body. One can make an argument that each one needs to be destroyed before it can be resurrected. Stick one in a bag. Stick another in a different bag and pierce the bag so the contents are lost. Argue for that bag that lost =/= destroyed and make the DM throw his dice at you.

Fcannon
2009-05-07, 04:12 AM
Casting flesh to stone before putting them in the bag is easiest, they won't need sustenance and their soul is in the statue.

The bag is also a handy way to deal with liches if your party is too lazy to find the phylactery, just make sure he can't kill himself in there.