PDA

View Full Version : Help with Werebear Template

mr.fizzypop
2009-05-06, 07:52 PM
I'm going to be starting a dnd group soon and one of my players is hoping to be a werebear. So I wanted to keep him on par with the rest of the party, level wise, so I did a google search for a werebear class and found a neat template (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20031114a) on the WotC site. But I'm having a little trouble understanding it. Pretty much I'm wondering if the template goes on another class or is its own class. Also whether it has its own LA. I'm sure someone can explain this to me.

Salt_Crow
2009-05-06, 08:08 PM
The first table, "SP-10:The Wearbear Template Class" is the level adjustment. Taking first two levels would make the character an afflicted lycanthrope and all three a natural one. He does not, however, gain any hit dice or skill points from them. For this reason he would have to have a class level beforehand ;)

The next table is the animal HD progression table. It's "entirely optional" but you don't get any of ability bonuses or anything except for the ones specifically stated in SP-10. It is stated that you can only start to take this class after you have a level in the template class (the LA, if you like).

Otherwise the character is free to multiclass between the template class, animal HD class or any other class he/she desires (template and animal class do not count toward multiclass penalty).