PDA

View Full Version : Deadpool movie in the works

stm177
2009-05-06, 08:31 PM
http://movies.yahoo.com/news/movies.eonline.com/wolverines-ryan-reynolds-dives-deadpool-spinoff-20090506

How would you make the movie? Potentially, Deadpool could make a lot of money for Fox, but it could also turn into a Daredevil/Elektra disaster.

And what villain should he face off against?

Should the Anti-Life, I mean Squirrel Girl, show up?

In tone, should it be a black comedy or something more on the bright happy end like Galaxy Quest?

Jølly
2009-05-06, 08:59 PM
I'm scared..this could very easily end up horribly. :smalleek:

Starscream
2009-05-06, 09:35 PM
I love Deadpool in the comics, particularly those stories by Kelly, Simone, and Nicieza. But the movie version was a huge disappointment. The character has so much more potential than that.

I like the idea of Reynolds in the role, but they really need to make him more like the comics version if they want fans to accept it.

Innis Cabal
2009-05-06, 09:53 PM
I love Deadpool in the comics, particularly those stories by Kelly, Simone, and Nicieza. But the movie version was a huge disappointment. The character has so much more potential than that.

I like the idea of Reynolds in the role, but they really need to make him more like the comics version if they want fans to accept it.

Because we saw how that went with Watchmen.....it will be great. Best actor they could have gotten.

Hunter Noventa
2009-05-06, 10:54 PM
Did anyone else find this idea scarier than the Deadpool movie idea?

another dubbed X-Men: First Class, which is being written by The O.C. creator Josh Schwartz.

hanzo66
2009-05-06, 11:06 PM
While Reynolds certainly wasn't a bad casting choice, it just seems that the character wasn't given very Deadpooly stuff to do. With a movie focused on him, it would at the least hopefully be different writers who would understand that a Deadpool movie has to be an Action Comedy at nature.

Also from what I've seen in the interviews, Reynolds himself didn't seem too happy at how people were saying "That's Deadpool?!". He does seem like he could be a good fit for a wacky individual like Wade if he was actually given wacky stuff to do.

Oh and since Wade is the subject of discussion, it seems likely he'll be a part of the new Ultimate Alliance game.

zeratul
2009-05-06, 11:15 PM
While Reynolds certainly wasn't a bad casting choice, it just seems that the character wasn't given very Deadpooly stuff to do. With a movie focused on him, it would at the least hopefully be different writers who would understand that a Deadpool movie has to be an Action Comedy at nature.

Also from what I've seen in the interviews, Reynolds himself didn't seem too happy at how people were saying "That's Deadpool?!". He does seem like he could be a good fit for a wacky individual like Wade if he was actually given wacky stuff to do.

Oh and since Wade is the subject of discussion, it seems likely he'll be a part of the new Ultimate Alliance game.

Wouldn't it be awesome if they got the guys who did Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz to do the deadpool movie? They would probably get the humor / action mix down pretty well.

kpenguin
2009-05-06, 11:37 PM
I haven't scene Shaun of the Dead yet, but I have seen Hot Fuzz and I think that a good Deadpool movie would be like that, combining the hilarious self-referential humor with the over-the-top action. Just take the genre savvy and intensify it to fourth wall breaking levels.

Ichneumon
2009-05-06, 11:45 PM
I would have him constantly looking in the camera, constantly doing voiceover and constantly talking to the audience.

Trizap
2009-05-06, 11:48 PM
deadpool movie?

whaddya know.......film industry did something RIGHT for once....

I'd cast it as a comedy.

kpenguin
2009-05-06, 11:50 PM
Oh, when the DVD comes out, all the subtitles for Deadpool's dialogue must be yellow.

Innis Cabal
2009-05-06, 11:58 PM
Oh, when the DVD comes out, all the subtitles for Deadpool's dialogue must be yellow.

And be in box's

Starscream
2009-05-07, 01:40 AM

I loved the first one. To my great shock, they actually got the character spot on in that game. The voice and mannerisms were awesome.

The fact that the new one will be about the Civil War made me flinch a bit. It wasn't exactly a beloved chapter in Marvel's history, and will probably date the game somewhat. Still, I'm looking forward to playing it.

Cheesegear
2009-05-07, 04:55 AM
Ryan Reynolds actually knows what he's talking about (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9r3wm7brtE&feature=fvst).

Apparently (from other reviews that I remember reading, but can't find), Ryan Reynolds wanted to play and was cast as Deadpool for his own movie in 2003, but was shafted due to ++A certain executive++ who traded that for every other Marvel movie that has been released since then. Since they determined 'Deadpool' wasn't accessible enough to people who didn't really read the books.

EDIT: Link (http://splashpage.mtv.com/2008/12/11/deadpool-and-gambit-the-long-road-to-x-men-origins-wolverine-and-beyond/).

For instance, would you believe a “Deadpool” movie has been in the works for more than five years?

Originally posted by Wikipedia
Reynolds had been interested in playing [Deadpool] in his own film since 2003.

Why am I finding out just now that heaps of Hollywood celebs actually like comics?
...The entire cast of Iron Man were fans of the comic (which is part of the reason why they wanted to be in it in the first place. - with the exception of Gwyneth Paltrow, who actually requested that she be given certain IM comics after she read the script for the movie. Apparently Jim Rhodes is even one of Cuba Gooding Jr.'s heroes.

Nick Cage is a fan of Ghost Rider - and I was unpleasantly surprised when he totally botched it.

bosssmiley
2009-05-07, 05:03 AM
It's going to be "Judge Dredd" all over again. They'll suck out the wit and humour of it and leave nothing but a dry and empty husk that pleases no-one.

Hollywood delanda est! :smallfurious::smallfurious::smallfurious:

Cheesegear
2009-05-07, 05:12 AM
The fact that the new one will be about the Civil War made me flinch a bit. It wasn't exactly a beloved chapter in Marvel's history.

Are you kidding? It was amazing.

With the exception of a Post-War Captain Bucky.

Starscream
2009-05-07, 08:26 AM

Meh. I didn't hate it, but it didn't deliver on its promises. We were told they would really portray both sides as having a point, and there wouldn't be a "bad side". Instead the pro-registration side kicked so many dogs their boots smelled like partially digested Snausages.

I mean, the anti-registration side were the good guys, but couldn't they at least have left that fact a little ambiguous? They even revealed that Speedball and his little crew of never-weres weren't even really responsible for what happened. Instead of a complicated ethical debate, we got to see half the Marvel heroes being utter jerks, and the other half being completely ineffectual.

Logic
2009-05-07, 08:51 AM
Meh. I didn't hate it, but it didn't deliver on its promises. We were told they would really portray both sides as having a point, and there wouldn't be a "bad side". Instead the pro-registration side kicked so many dogs their boots smelled like partially digested Snausages.

I mean, the anti-registration side were the good guys, but couldn't they at least have left that fact a little ambiguous? They even revealed that Speedball and his little crew of never-weres weren't even really responsible for what happened. Instead of a complicated ethical debate, we got to see half the Marvel heroes being utter jerks, and the other half being completely ineffectual.

I'm not intentionally hijacking the thread with Marvel Civil War commentary, but I feel the statements had to be made*

Civil War was a joke. The Super-Human Registration Act was a law that under the current US constitution, would be immediately invalid, due to the legal spectacle of it all.

One, it didn't allow people with super powers to simply cease to be vigilantees (I cannot name one protagonist that couldn't be loosely described as a vigilantee) instead, if you had abilities, you had to register.
Two, if you didn't register, you were held without access to a lawyer, and without the beniefit of a trial. Indefinate jail time without due process was the remedy to unregistered heroes.
Three, the authorities were quick to recruit known murderers and other criminals, some of which had been actually convicted of these and other violent crimes.

So, my suggestions to improve upon it are the following:
The government should have allowed heroes to retire. Demanding to know the identity of a vigilantee is within the realm of reason for the law, especially if the vigilantee is expected to testify against a super-villian defendant. Without the hero's testimony, the hero may merely have delayed the villian's immediate plans. But if a hero retires, even if he reamins a super powered civilian, he still is not violating the law any more than a Martial Arts insctructor not registering in a new state he moves to. (Which, is not illegal)
The government should have given any offenders caught in the act a trial before imprisonment.

Back on topic: I think Deadpool could be a movie success, both in fiancial terms, and pleasing to the fans. I have not seen the Wolverine Origins movie, however Ryan Reynolds seems like a perfect fit for Deadpool. I would support him in his own movie, and assume that for the Wolverine movie, they couldn't portray Deadpool exactly as the fans would hope, since (IMHO) he would have to be the protagonist (or as much screen time as the protagonist) in order to cement the role.

Cheesegear
2009-05-07, 08:57 AM
Meh. I didn't hate it, but it didn't deliver on its promises.

And more stuff.

It's all true. But, I still think it is one of the better Marvel arcs. And it didn't involve Magneto, Sinister and/or Apocalypse, or the Phoenix. That's a win in my book.

Spider-Man doing what he did (but, as if we hadn't already seen the movies and didn't already know it was Tobey Maguire :smallwink:)...Pity that it was all ret-conned away with the single, worst arc - ever!
My fervent hope that Wolverine was finally dead...Which got dashed away as quickly as it appeared.

De-railing threads is fun. I should stop.

kpenguin
2009-05-07, 08:58 AM

With the exception of a Post-War Captain Bucky.

Looks like we'll have to agree to disagree, since I didn't like Civil War but enjoy Buck as Cap.:smalltongue:

Cheesegear
2009-05-07, 09:13 AM
Looks like we'll have to agree to disagree, since I didn't like Civil War but enjoy Buck as Cap.:smalltongue:

That's alright. I'm apparently the only person on the board who likes Sinister too. And Sabretooth.

Logic
2009-05-07, 09:19 AM
That's alright. I'm apparently the only person on the board who likes Sinister too. And Sabretooth.

You think that's bad? Apparently, I am the only one that liked the Clone Saga (Overall.)

But, it was mostly admiration for Ben Reilly, who I find more interesting than Peter Parker.

The Extinguisher
2009-05-07, 10:38 AM
I can support this. Reynolds knows what he's doing. He can do Deadpool. Really well. If it wasn't for the whole Weapon XI thing, there would have been no Deadpool problem.

EENick
2009-05-07, 11:10 AM
I can support this. Reynolds knows what he's doing. He can do Deadpool. Really well. If it wasn't for the whole Weapon XI thing, there would have been no Deadpool problem.

I guess you must have gone to a movie with one of the bad endings or didn't stay till after the credits otherwise you would know they set it up so Weapon XI doesn't matter so much.

Starscream
2009-05-07, 06:15 PM
The government should have allowed heroes to retire. Demanding to know the identity of a vigilantee is within the realm of reason for the law, especially if the vigilantee is expected to testify against a super-villian defendant. Without the hero's testimony, the hero may merely have delayed the villian's immediate plans. But if a hero retires, even if he reamins a super powered civilian, he still is not violating the law any more than a Martial Arts insctructor not registering in a new state he moves to.

See, this is what DC got right when they wanted to portray this kind of political issue.

They decided that the reason the JSA dropped from the map was that it was the 1950s and they were called in front of the HUAC like many famous people. The McCarthyists were suspicious that, despite their patriotic name, they were willing to come to anyone's aid at any time, and that meant they might not always be working in America's interests.

The heroes admitted that they considered themselves protectors of the human race first, and Americans second, and they were given the choice to either reveal their identities and remain active with a government sanction, or peaceably retire. Not wanting to endanger their families or be co-opted by Uncle Sam, they quit.

Spider-Man doing what he did (but, as if we hadn't already seen the movies and didn't already know it was Tobey Maguire :smallwink:)...Pity that it was all ret-conned away with the single, worst arc - ever!

I didn't like that bit. They showed him unsure about the Act from the beginning, and worried that if he signed on with the government (which meant revealing his identity only to them) would still be an unnecessary risk that could endanger Aunt May and Mary Jane.

So what happens? After a single pep talk from Tony, he not only supports the act, but reveals his name and face to the entire world! It would be a stupid move even if he had supported the act from the beginning. Having him do so when he already considered a much lesser concession to be dangerous was ludicrous.

And yeah, One More Day was awful. Is there anyone on this planet other than Quesada who doesn't think so? When he retires, I bet we'll be able to count the time until it is undone in seconds.

hanzo66
2009-05-08, 08:44 PM
...The entire cast of Iron Man were fans of the comic (which is part of the reason why they wanted to be in it in the first place. - with the exception of Gwyneth Paltrow, who actually requested that she be given certain IM comics after she read the script for the movie.

I remember that it's said that she got her comics from her husband Chris Martin, the lead singer of Coldplay.

I have seen interviews which do indicate that Reynolds does know Comic!Deadpool well enough.

Still, in the case of a Deadpool movie, who'd be appropriate for Weasel? I'd say Shia LeBeuf or Michael Cera since they both ooze a serious backpfeifengesicht Smug Snake quality that makes them dislikeable enough for a Butt Monkey role.

Cheesegear
2009-05-09, 06:53 AM
I have seen interviews which do indicate that Reynolds does know Comic!Deadpool well enough.

I've already put my link/s in.

Still, in the case of a Deadpool movie, who'd be appropriate for Weasel? I'd say Shia LeBeuf or Michael Cera since they both ooze a serious backpfeifengesicht Smug Snake quality that makes them dislikeable enough for a Butt Monkey role.

I'm going to say 'No.' Purely because I'm sick of seeing them everywhere.

Revlid
2009-05-11, 01:11 PM
I'm going to say 'No.' Purely because I'm sick of seeing them everywhere.

Ah, but you forget - if Beefboy plays Weasel, there will undoubtedly be a scene or two where Deadpool stabs/shoots/maims him in order to gain information, amusement, or the last cheesy puff.

Personally, I could see Seth Green playing Weasel.

And a Deadpool movie could be done so well. It's got tragedy, comedy, action, everything needed to make a film great. Having to deal with the Wolverine Origins baggage wounds the premise a bit, but not enough to put me off it.

Stryker's agents find Wilson's decapitated body at the end of the movie, and move it to the "Chop Shop", a facility for failed mutant-human experiments. Wilson eventually heals, with his healing factor apparently being the only power retained after the trauma incurred from his fight with Wolverine and Sabretooth.

After a few vaguely-zany escape attempts Wilson gives up, and just kills his way out of the facility, instigating a riot to chants of "King of the Deadpool!". Trekking his way back to civilisation by the present day, he gets back to work as a mercenary under the name "Deadpool".

Meeting up with a hacker/information broker by the name of Weasel after a semi-botched and very destructive job, Wilson realises that his stock in the "business" world has fallen - he's not the only powered merc on the market. So he takes a job with the highest stakes on the market, facing off against such big names as Taskmaster, T-Ray, Outsider, "Leaping" Batroc, Constrictor, Black Swan, Silver Sable, Paladin and Maggott.

Cue climax.

Nevrmore
2009-05-11, 02:08 PM
It's going to be "Judge Dredd" all over again. They'll suck out the wit and humour of it and leave nothing but a dry and empty husk that pleases no-one.

Hollywood delanda est! :smallfurious::smallfurious::smallfurious:
Shut up.

Seriously, shut up.

Evil DM Mark3
2009-05-11, 05:55 PM
Shut up.

Seriously, shut up.

You know they are having another stab at that.

BRC
2009-05-11, 06:14 PM
A deadpool movie sounds good in concept, but I don't know how they would pull it off. Like any adaptation, you have the dilemma of, on one hand, staying as true to the origional as possible at the risk of alienating people who arn't familiar with the origional material. Or on the other hand, abandoning the origional to make something that works better as a film, at the risk of catching flak for your adaption decay.
Deadpool is merely a more extreme version of that. Plus, his characteristic banter is alot easier to pull off in comic format than on film (especially with the fast pace of modern fight scenes, there isn't really time for Deadpool to have a lengthy argument with the narrator on why swords made out of explosives would, or would not, be the best thing ever)

Yulian
2009-05-11, 08:12 PM
One, it didn't allow people with super powers to simply cease to be vigilantees (I cannot name one protagonist that couldn't be loosely described as a vigilantee) instead, if you had abilities, you had to register.
Two, if you didn't register, you were held without access to a lawyer, and without the beniefit of a trial. Indefinate jail time without due process was the remedy to unregistered heroes.
Three, the authorities were quick to recruit known murderers and other criminals, some of which had been actually convicted of these and other violent crimes.

Oh yes, one other idiot thing you forgot to mention, because there's plenty of it.

They forced non-powered people to register. How could they conceivably define that? If Girl Hawkeye wanted to retire, how could they have conceivably stopped her? If she is forced to register, so would Michael Phelps be. Does this mean every Olympian has to be a member of the Initiative now or not compete or what?

They utterly didn't think that nonsense through.

The Thunderbolts were awesome. Bullseye and Venom had action figures. Yeah. Known murderers and a cannibal. Like the media wouldn't have a complete field day with that. Like the public wouldn't object. It was very literally like recruiting, publicly, Charles Manson and the Son of Sam as SWAT team members. Honestly, it is utterly impossible to claim the moral high ground once you've willingly employed Bullseye as your agent.

"Yes, the public can sleep easy knowing that a fanged, half-alien, psychotic monster who eats people is loose in the streets, hunting down Captain America for breaking a staggeringly unconstitutional law. And no veterans' organizations have made formal complaints or anything!"

I never bought it for an instant. It annihilated my suspension of disbelief.

Back to Deadpool. I really have no idea what they were doing in the Wolverine film with him. None whatsoever. It boggles the mind why they chose Deadpool to be that...thing.

I don't trust Hollywood to just go with what made Deadpool so popular among the comic-buying fans in the first place. He's a tough character to get a handle on with a mainstream audience.

- Yulian

Lord of the Helms
2009-05-12, 07:18 AM
The Thunderbolts were awesome. Bullseye and Venom had action figures. Yeah. Known murderers and a cannibal. Like the media wouldn't have a complete field day with that. Like the public wouldn't object. It was very literally like recruiting, publicly, Charles Manson and the Son of Sam as SWAT team members. Honestly, it is utterly impossible to claim the moral high ground once you've willingly employed Bullseye as your agent.

Minor nitpick - Bullseye had to be specifically kept secret from the public because of his psycho murderer status. And hey, at least he received a very, very gratifying treatment by American Eagle. How they got Venom past the press, though - I mean, Eddie Brock Venom could go into anti hero territory, but the GrimDark Mac Gargan Venom is such a dog-raping, terryfying nightmare monster it just doesn't work on any level.

On a somewhat related note, since I'm thinking of stocking up my Deadpool archives: Is the WolverineDeadpool Origins: Volume 5 paperback worth getting? I've heard mixed things about it - does it capture Deadpool well, and have him doing sufficiently awesome things to Wolverine?

EENick
2009-05-13, 08:53 AM
IMO opinion anything written by Daniel Way is terrible. I think he really ruined the character with the annoying tripple over narration and the always lame Deadpool vision neither of which were a part of the character prior to Way starting of the character and don't get me started on what's happened to Deadpool's supporting cast. So other people have managed to get a few laughs out of it but not Way. Origins IS better the the current Deadpool series also written by Way but it pretty much ends with a wimper.

I'd skip Origins and save your money for something like Marvel Zombies 3 & 4, Deadpool - Merc With a Mouth (a new series starting in July), Deadpool - Sucide Kings, Deadpool vs the Marbel Universe or just pick up Deadpool Classic volumes.