PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Spell-like abilities and Reserve feats.

Mattarias, King.
2009-05-06, 10:56 PM
Simple question- I want to play a Celadrin in an upcoming campaign (hot damn, I get to be a PC again! Yaaay! ..*Ahem*) and, as you may or may not know, they get eye beams. Specifically, Scorching Ray once a day.
Now, I've been planning on taking the Fiery Burst feat, which requires being able to cast second level spells, and to keep a second-level fire spell in reserve.
Spell-like abilities are just like spells, though I'm not sure if they count towards Reserve feats, but I'm leaning towards 'yes', since Scorching Ray is a second-level spell I can cast. Ideas? Opinions? Pointing and laughing at my poor grasp of the rules?

monty
2009-05-06, 11:01 PM
No, they don't. Spell-like abilities are just that, spell-like. If something requires spells, it won't count unless it explicitly says otherwise.

yilduz
2009-05-06, 11:01 PM
*points at Mattarias*
:smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin:

Well, seriously though, I think that's really a DM's decision kind of thing. If you have a cool DM, I think they may allow it, but it has always been my understanding that spell-like abilities don't count as spells when it comes to feats, etc...

I could definitely be wrong, though. I'd like to see what other people have to say about it.

edit: Ah, someone got in before me. :smallwink:

lsfreak
2009-05-06, 11:06 PM
By RAW, no it doesn't work. I can't really see allowing SLA's to activate reserve feats being overpowered though, and I'd probably rule them available.

monty
2009-05-06, 11:07 PM
Note that warlocks specifically do not qualify for anything requiring spells of a certain level, even though they have spell-like abilities and even a caster level. However, they will qualify for something requiring a specific spell (in your case, if something had being able to cast scorching ray as a prerequisite, you would qualify).

Thurbane
2009-05-06, 11:09 PM
The relevant text is as follows:

Only actual spells or spell slots allow the character to use the primary benefit of a reserve feat. Spell-like abilities, supernatural abilities, and extraordinary abilities—even if they mimic or duplicate an appropriate spell—do not qualify.

Waspinator
2009-05-07, 12:56 AM
The RAW answer seems to be "no". It might be a reasonable houserule, though.