PDA

View Full Version : A little Exalted question

Jeivar
2009-05-07, 01:17 AM
When we finally do get around to having that first session, I plan to have my Exalted players fight an out of control mountain god. However, either I've overlooked that entry in the corebook several times, or it's rather vague on how to put a terrestrial god out of commission for good.

Could someone help me out?

Terraoblivion
2009-05-07, 05:45 AM
Provided that the God has a sanctum, which it probably has, it takes specialized charms or artifacts that specifically state that they can kill the god permanently. Without those they will just give it a humiliating defeat and send it back to its sanctum. However, since i take it that your players are solars, why are they planning on killing the mountain god rather than forcing it to work for them instead?

potatocubed
2009-05-07, 06:22 AM
In 1e, as far as I remember, you just stabbed the old god, killed it, and a new god was promoted to take its place if it was important enough. (I think a mountain is probably 'important enough'.) The new god would have several traits drawn from its new position, and several from its previous life and history. In this way taking out a <i>particular god</i> was easy, but destroying the 'job' of mountain-god-hood was not. 2e may roll differently.

Or, failing that, bind the thing into a magic item. Or issue a challenge to it such that if it loses it has to swear a binding oath (Eclipse-binding if you can, in front of Heaven if not) not to leave its sanctum for the next eleventy-billion years.

Terraoblivion
2009-05-07, 10:12 AM
Given the description of Ghost-Eating Technique from the first edition book leads me to believe that it also took special effort to permanently kill a god back then. Why else would they specify that it can kill a god permanently? Spirit-Cutting Attack also specifically states that the god will regenerate in time, though the timeframe might be very long.

Jeivar
2009-05-07, 02:51 PM
However, since i take it that your players are solars, why are they planning on killing the mountain god rather than forcing it to work for them instead?

Well, we haven't gotten to that point yet, but knowing my friends . . . well . . . let's just say it's best to at least be ready for the "Let's kill him!" reaction. :)

Provided that the God has a sanctum, which it probably has, it takes specialized charms or artifacts that specifically state that they can kill the god permanently. Without those they will just give it a humiliating defeat and send it back to its sanctum.

The core book is kind of vague about sanctums. Is there no way to destroy a god's sanctum to keep it from reforming, or to follow it there?

Terraoblivion
2009-05-07, 03:32 PM
Not any convenient ways. There might be sorcery that lets either destroy the sanctum, but other than that the only real way is dissolving it in the wyld or in the void. As for entering sanctums, sidereals can do it and i believe sorcery allows it as well, but other than that you need to be brought there by the god in question. You cannot prevent the god from reforming by going in there, at most you can seriously wreck the place making the god even angrier. But really if you want to kill a god you need the specialized charms that are meant to allow just that.

Jeivar
2009-05-07, 03:45 PM
Not any convenient ways. There might be sorcery that lets either destroy the sanctum, but other than that the only real way is dissolving it in the wyld or in the void. As for entering sanctums, sidereals can do it and i believe sorcery allows it as well, but other than that you need to be brought there by the god in question. You cannot prevent the god from reforming by going in there, at most you can seriously wreck the place making the god even angrier. But really if you want to kill a god you need the specialized charms that are meant to allow just that.

All right, I guess we'll just go with the "pummel him into submission" approach. Thanks. :smallsmile:

Kyeudo
2009-05-07, 03:49 PM
Destroying a god's sanctum by mundane means is possible, but it takes anywhere from 1 minute of smashing stuff to roughly two months, depending on the level of the Sanctum and has to be done from inside the Sanctum. Getting in is harder, requiring at least some expensive thamaturgy. Sorcery or the ability to dematerialize work better, but are harder to come by.

Terraoblivion
2009-05-07, 03:55 PM
Hmmm, forgot those rules. I actually thought you could just destroy the property values while in there and not eliminate the sanctum. Still not exactly easy to do. You have to locate it and find someone who can get you in there and then ensure their cooperation.

hewhosaysfish
2009-05-08, 08:33 AM
In 1e, as far as I remember, you just stabbed the old god, killed it, and a new god was promoted to take its place if it was important enough. (I think a mountain is probably 'important enough'.) The new god would have several traits drawn from its new position, and several from its previous life and history. In this way taking out a <i>particular god</i> was easy, but destroying the 'job' of mountain-god-hood was not. 2e may roll differently.

That's assuming the mountain is still there to require a god. Think big!