PDA

View Full Version : Plant Growth question (3.5).

Tempest Fennac
2009-05-07, 01:58 AM
Does the Enrichment use for the Plant Growth spell stack or can it only be applied once? I was just looking over the Plant Growth spell description, http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/plantgrowth.htm , and I'm curious because it doesn't say if it stacks or not. (I'm assuming it can be used indefinitly to increase crop productivity but I wanted to check in case it can't.)

olentu
2009-05-07, 02:06 AM
Well seeing as how plant growth raises the productivity to 1/3 above normal I would say that additional castings would do nothing as the spell would not change what is normal productivity.

Crazy Scot
2009-05-07, 02:14 AM
The rule you are looking for is on page 171 of the PHB under the heading of "Combining Magical Effects". The "Stacking Effects" section effectively says that spells don't stack with themselves. And Under the "Same Effect More than Once in Different Strengths" section, says that only the more powerful effect counts. To me, that would say that the spells would not stack. Since it is the same spell, with the same effect, it only counts once. Besides the fact it takes an entire season's growth to come to full benefit.

Tempest Fennac
2009-05-07, 02:23 AM
Thanks for clarifying (I forgot about that bit about spells not stacking with themselves, and I assumed that you could repeatedly enhance the growth so it would all add up by the end of the growing season.

olentu
2009-05-07, 02:26 AM
The rule you are looking for is on page 171 of the PHB under the heading of "Combining Magical Effects". The "Stacking Effects" section effectively says that spells don't stack with themselves. And Under the "Same Effect More than Once in Different Strengths" section, says that only the more powerful effect counts. To me, that would say that the spells would not stack. Since it is the same spell, with the same effect, it only counts once. Besides the fact it takes an entire season's growth to come to full benefit.

However the section on combining magical effects continues onto page 172 and has this to say about spells like plant growth that have an instantaneous duration

"Two or more spells with instantaneous durations work cumulatively when they affect the same target."

But in any case that should not change the reasoning I posted above.

Tempest Fennac
2009-05-07, 02:37 AM
In that case, I'm not sure whether they would stack or not. I'd say if probably would due to it being 2 spells with the same duration). I guess it depends on whether you see the spell as a long-term growth enhancer or something that immedietly raises the plant's growing potential.

olentu
2009-05-07, 03:01 AM
In that case, I'm not sure whether they would stack or not. I'd say if probably would due to it being 2 spells with the same duration). I guess it depends on whether you see the spell as a long-term growth enhancer or something that immedietly raises the plant's growing potential.

To clarify my position they do technically stack but they stack in a way that gives no benefit for casting more then one plant growth using the enrichment option. The first casting raises the potential productivity over the course of the next year to one-third above normal, but the spell does not say that it changes what the normal value is and the new value can reasonably be said to not be normal since presumably plants do not normally have plant growth cast on them. So the second casting also raises the potential productivity over the course of the next year to one-third above normal, but this is the same potential productivity value as the first casting of the spell gave since the second casting calculates from the same value of normal. Thus the second casting while technically stacking did not change the productivity of the plants.

Tempest Fennac
2009-05-07, 03:06 AM
Sorry about getting confused (I was thinking that the 2nd casting would factor the 1st casting in when increasing productivity by 1/3).

olentu
2009-05-07, 03:11 AM
Sorry about getting confused (I was thinking that the 2nd casting would factor the 1st casting in when increasing productivity by 1/3).

There is no need to be sorry. I am just glad that I could provide assistance.