PDA

View Full Version : Truth of the demonic cockroaches

Alex Warlorn
2009-05-07, 02:39 AM
Well, if 651 proves anything, is that the Demonic cockroaches are not merely 'evil cause we happen to be from that group' but honestly wicked.

When O-chul was beginning to encourage Monster-San to think for himself, to make his own choice, and realize that Redcloak and Xykon were just using him, the Demonic cockroach there at the time had a minor panic attack and was beginning to try and do damage control.

This is technically logical, after all: one, they're demonic, the evil of the underworld is literally a part of them is perhaps IS them, and two, they're cockroaches. The devastation and ruin that Xykon leaves in his wake is an ideal environment for the three of them to enjoy.

mcv
2009-05-07, 04:15 AM
The big question is: do they serve Xykon, or do they secretly serve the three fiends to keep an eye on Xykon?

Lissou
2009-05-07, 05:57 AM
The devastation and ruin that Xykon leaves in his wake is an ideal environment for the three of them to enjoy.

I'm pretty sure there are more than three of them. What makes you think otherwise?

Ancalagon
2009-05-07, 06:07 AM
I think they just like to be evil... preventing monster-san from developing an own view serves their evil existence.

daggaz
2009-05-07, 07:57 AM
Read Start of Darkness. They dont serve Xykon. Anything more would be spoilers.. :smallamused:

Raging Gene Ray
2009-05-07, 09:36 AM
I just assumed they thought that O-Chul was trying to trick the MitD into making a bad move in Go. The whole joke was they ignored the whole "think for yourself metaphor thing" and just focused on who's winning the game.

Silverraptor
2009-05-07, 12:36 PM
In "No Cure for the Paladin Blues" extras, One of the roaches say, "Good is over-rated" when Redcloak rips up the "good" paplet the the half-celestial weasal gave the MitD

David Argall
2009-05-07, 02:17 PM
The big question is: do they serve Xykon, or do they secretly serve the three fiends to keep an eye on Xykon?

Neither.
They have been following Xykon around for a long time despite being regarded as pests for the most part. And this was long before our three fiends had any reason to deem Xykon had any reason to deem Xykon of any special interest.

liooil2000
2009-05-07, 04:05 PM
I think of them as commentators, or critics of character actions. Kinda like people who go watch plays, movies, etc. Except they openly comment.

dps
2009-05-07, 04:57 PM
What the heck's a paplet?

shadzar
2009-05-07, 05:01 PM
I had a thought. Well my head was hurting, so maybe I just ran into a wall.... Anyway the outcome of whichever was, what if the roaches are the forum goers personified into the strip. They always try to heckle everyone else in the strip, and want things to always go their way, rather than allowing things to progress naturally as they should in the plot.

Ideas?

enarch3t
2009-05-07, 06:04 PM
I thought the MiTD attracted the roaches http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0082.html

enarch3t
2009-05-07, 06:10 PM
What the heck's a paplet?

Perhaps a pamphlet? I believe this is the case. Not everyone is a sepller nor resourceful enough to look up words, I for one almost never check if I'm spelling character names correctly.

Assassin89
2009-05-07, 07:11 PM
I think of them as commentators, or critics of character actions. Kinda like people who go watch plays, movies, etc. Except they openly comment.

You mean like in MST3k? I see the roaches as a basic annoyance that damages the fourth wall.

Shhalahr Windrider
2009-05-07, 07:30 PM
I thought the MiTD attracted the roaches http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0082.html
They actually showed up in Start of Darkness, so they've been around for a while before that comic.
Even Redcloaks comments in that strip show that they've had issues with Demon Roaches before this particular incident.

Anonymous Man
2009-05-07, 07:40 PM
If you read Start of Darkness, you know that the demon roaches came through a portal in an evil diner. Before Xykon became a lich, he went to the diner so often that they started to follow him around. and #82 says :redcloak::You have to clean up after yourself or it will attract more of those giant demon-roaches.

Silverraptor
2009-05-08, 04:24 PM
Perhaps a pamphlet? I believe this is the case. Not everyone is a sepller nor resourceful enough to look up words, I for one almost never check if I'm spelling character names correctly.

You are indeed correct. It is a pamphlet and I didn't spell check. My bad everyone.:smallsigh:

A. Smith
2009-05-08, 04:36 PM
You mean like in MST3k? I see the roaches as a basic annoyance that damages the fourth wall.

Damages the fourth wall? It's the goddamn Order of the Stick! Haley reached through the website to the cast page to take a big diamond!

OotS doesn't even have a fourth wall.

Silverraptor
2009-05-08, 04:44 PM
Damages the fourth wall? It's the goddamn Order of the Stick! Haley reached through the website to the cast page to take a big diamond!

OotS doesn't even have a fourth wall.

As said in OtOoPC, Rooms without four walls are very popular

Y'nokhs
2009-05-09, 09:28 PM
Speaking of the cockroaches, do we actually know what they are? I kinda assumed they were just intelligent Fiendish Cockroaches, but that wouldn't grant them fire breath (and their INT scores seem pretty high - at least 11 or so). Any ideas?

[TS] Shadow
2009-05-09, 10:12 PM
Maybe the demon roaches will actually be significant to the plot soon...They did manage to get Monster-san to make that earthquake, and here they are trying to get him to remain with the evil people. Maybe they'll do something important in the oncoming strips...but I doubt it.

Cleverdan22
2009-05-09, 11:12 PM
Meh, I think its just that they're part of team evil. They've been hanging out with Xykon and Redcloak for a good long while, hard not to catch the team spirit, you know?

The MunchKING
2009-05-09, 11:44 PM
Neither.
They have been following Xykon around for a long time despite being regarded as pests for the most part. And this was long before our three fiends had any reason to deem Xykon had any reason to deem Xykon of any special interest.

Didn't they start following them, because the MitD was messy with his popcorn and other foods?

Demonic or no, cockroaches LOVe the free-eats.

Cleverdan22
2009-05-09, 11:52 PM
Didn't they start following them, because the MitD was messy with his popcorn and other foods?

Demonic or no, cockroaches LOVe the free-eats.

Nah, there's stuff in Start of Darkness. Though it does have to do with food.

The MunchKING
2009-05-09, 11:59 PM
Nah, there's stuff in Start of Darkness. Though it does have to do with food.

Well there it was cause they were at a cheap coffee bar. Same principle really.

Alex Warlorn
2009-05-10, 01:20 AM
They've repeatedly acted in plot significant ways with the characters before.

This just clinches which side they prefer hanging out with.