PDA

View Full Version : [Any, but 4e focused] On Cinematic Boss Fights

Gralamin
2009-05-07, 05:56 AM
Some of this thread is general purpose advice. The second part details homebrew mechanics for boss fights.

A common complaint in 4e is that encounters, especially boss fights, drag on for to long. So how can you make boss fights more exciting?

Step 0) Be inspired. You have to have a firm idea of what you want as a boss. When you need a boss and don't know what to make, steal ideas from whatever you have, books, TV, TVtropes, whatever.

Step 1) Choose whether your boss is an Elite or Solo creature. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. This is also the point you should choose the role of your creature.

Step 2) Lower the boss's Defenses slightly, increase damage. This will make the boss more of a threat, but quicker to take down.

Step 3) Use Terrain. Terrain helps make encounters interesting. If your boss is a giant bunny whipping the easter eggs around the field at your party, the terrain is used interestingly.

Step 4) Avoid conditions that disable characters. While Stunned and Petrified are powerful and make your boss a threat, it can also anger players. Players want to be participating in a boss fight, and taking them out is frustrating. Some players might not have a problem with this, but others will. When in doubt, avoid them entirely.

Step 5) Every boss is Unique. If there is nothing unique about the boss, then its going to seem like another, if interesting, encounter. Boss's who have abilities that are different then what is typical are even more interesting. Perhaps your boss can focus on target, and any creature that attacks it deals half that damage to whoever they are focusing on.

Step 6) Sequence the battle. Often Bosses in Video games won't use some abilities until a certain point in the battle, do the same. Abilities that don't activate until a certain number of rounds or a certain HP values makes the fight harder to predict.

Step 7) Run it!

Some general advice that doesn't fit anywhere particular:
Video games have been doing bosses for a long time. A few key mechanics which are good to steal are:

Threshold - Most monsters have some threshold, through abilites that trigger when they are bloodied. Threshold is any ability in which something happens after you reach a certain HP value.
Multipe Forms - A cliche in Video games, but rare in PnP. Multiple forms are discussed more indepth in the homebrew section of the guide.
Multiple Parts - A boss is sometimes made out of multiple Parts. Having parts that the player can attack disables the boss in some fashion, and may make the encounter easier.

Homebrew
Unfortunately its not always possible to do what you want to do with what exists. In that case you have to homebrew it. Below is information that will help construct Multiple forms, Multiple Parts, Terrain Interaction, and unique abilities.

Multiple Forms
The key with making Multiple forms is to make it not to short, and not to long. The easiest way to do that is assign each form a fraction of the HP that a single form creature would usually have. These do not have to be equal, a two formed creature might have 40% / 60% HP.

In general, Elite should never exceed two forms. Elite are about twice the HP of a normal monster, so having more forms by default means that either its easier to kill the boss then a normal creature, or your adding more HP on top.
Suggested HP amounts for forms: 40% / 60%, 50% / 50%

A Solo creature should not exceed five forms for a similar reason. Solo HP is about eight times that of a normal monster, but they have to have increased survivability to keep up with PCs. Five is a good maximum because it can give a good amount of forms without problems.
Suggested HP amounts for two forms: As elite plus 25%/75%.
Suggested HP amounts for three forms: 33/33/33, 30/30/40, 25/25/50.
Suggested HP amounts for four forms: 25/25/25/25, 20/20/20/40, 20/25/25/30.
Suggest HP amounts for five forms: 20/20/20/20/20, 10/10/15/20/45.

Video game examples of Multiple Forms: Choose a Final Fantasy

Multiple Parts
Multiple parts are split into two main types: Drones and Component. Drones are separate creatures that are "part" of the boss somehow, while Components are actually parts of a boss.

Drones work best as something that the creature summons (but not with the summoning keyword necessarily). These creatures are worth no XP, because they use the Boss's XP.

Drones should each have a function. For example, if you have a priest of Vecna who summons some flaming skulls (not necessarily the monster of the same name), they may act as skirmishers, keeping the PCs away from the priest.

Very rarely, Drones can even revive the Boss if the PCs don't get rid of them. For example, When the Vecna priest dies, if his two skulls are left, they fly towards the weakest looking party member and then crash into each other, creating a necrotic burst and reviving the priest to 1/4 hit points. This uses a healing surge (remember, monsters have 1 HS / tier, but cannot generally second wind).

Examples of Drones in Video games: Chrono Trigger.

Components are similar to the idea of chopping off a Hydra's heads. The creature is made of distinct parts, and you can target one to remove it. Generally the death of a component shouldn't cripple the boss, but should make the encounter easier somehow. In some cases you may want to be like a Hydra, and have the destruction of Components actually enhance the monster.

Examples of Components in Video Games: Although I'm sure there is a lot others, Final Fantasy V comes to mind.

Terrain Interaction
Terrain interaction is a broad category. Everything from pushing someone into a pit, to reshaping the terrain as you fight is terrain interaction. Even being able to move through terrain that causes trouble for the players is terrain interaction.

With the broad range Terrain interaction takes, you have to choose something thats right for your monster. A worm that constantly drips acid from its mouth might leave an acid trail where it moves, causing the squares its moved through to become a zone of hindering terrain. A insane Spellcaster may light a wooden building on fire, creating holes, fires, and smoke.

Martial oriented characters are the hardest to use Terrain Interaction for, as some players have an objection to anything too fantastic (Usually saying something like "To much like anime", not that I think there is anything wrong with that). Blows that knock down pillars are fine, but turning the area around you to an ice sheet isn't, usually. If you think your boss must have such a "fantastic" power, consider making an item for it. If you do rely on an item though, expect PCs to try and get their hands on it.

Unique Abilities
Unique abilities are hard to make, and are best tailor made to effect the group somehow. A high damage group suffers from redirected damage. A high healing group his hurt more by losing Healing Surges. A high mobility group can be challenged by reducing their mobility. These counter abilities are complex because they require analysis of your group, and require time to make.

The simplest form of unique abilities is to cause the opposite of expectations when a player takes an action. Chopping off a Hydra's head makes two more appear, when intuitively, chopping off a head would mean one less head trying to bite you. These abilities capitalize on surprise, and generally aren't very effective to the encounter. Only try one if you think you can pull it off.

Between the extreme of a counter ability and the simplicity of a surprise ability, is an ability based on what makes the creature unique. These abilities focus on the creature themselves, and sometimes include the other abilities. King Midas turned whatever he touched to gold. If your players are facing King Midas, you might consider the ability to turn a character into gold instantly. This would not be very constructive to the encounter, as outlined above, so instead they slowly start petrifying, giving saves to avoid the effect, but moving progressively towards petrification as they fail. This is unique, fits thematically, and gives a player a more then fair chance to stop it.

Sample Boss Creation
I decide to create a boss that is a mechanical dragon.

Step 0) Inspiration: Deathwing and similar creatures.
Step 1) Level 27 Solo Controller
Step 2) AC 39; Fortitude 38, Reflex 38, Will 38 Damage: 3d8+9 isn't uncommon.
Step 3) The boss is in a room with a mechanical trap it has attuned to.
Step 4) Although I should avoid such conditions, I give its final form a Bite that can stun, to make up for the inability of the dragon to move. Stuff that gets close should have a hard time leaving.
Step 5) The Dragon is Part Mechanical. Its Gear Breath creates walls. It can also bounce its Eye laser off mirrors it can place. This allows it to increase the powers range. It also has a force field around it.
Step 6) Since I make my Boss three forms, I decide it can activate the trap in its second form, and in its third form, it merges with the trap.

The end Result: Here is the end result of this encounter copied from my .html file for the encounter.

Dragontech Ascendant (Dragon Form)
Level 27 Solo Controller
Huge Natural Beast (dragon, construct)
XP See Ascended
Initiative +22
Senses Perception +21; Darkvision
Defense Field (Force) aura 2; Creatures that Enter or start their turns in the aura have -5 damage. Creatres in the aura have concealment vs ranged attacks.
HP 375; Bloodied 187; At 0, turn into Legion Form
AC 39; Fortitude 38, Reflex 38, Will 38
Resist Psychic 10; Vulnerable Electricity 5
Saving Throws +5
Speed Speed 12, Fly 12
Action Points 2
r Force Laser (Standard; at-will) ♦ Force
Range 10; +32 vs Fort; 4d6+15 Force damage, and Push 5. If the beam hits a mirror, It can travel this range or up to 5 from the mirror, whichever is greater. (A line of mirrors could be used to make it ranged 30 for example)
c Gear Breath (Standard; recharge 56)
Close Blast 5; +32 vs Reflex; 3d8+9 Damage. Hit or miss: Squares in a wall 3 become a wall of gears.
a Missile Barrage (Minor; at-will) ♦ Fire
1/round; Burst 1; +32 vs Reflex; 2d8+9 Damage.
Overdrive
When bloodied; Roll initative again, and act on both initatives.
Alignment Evil
Languages Common, Draconic
Skills Intimidate +27; Insight +22
Str 23 (+19)
Dex 24 (+20)
Wis 18 (+17)
Con 26 (+21)
Int 22 (+19)
Cha 28 (+22)

Dragontech Ascendant (Legion Form)
Level 27 Solo Controller
Huge Natural Beast (dragon, construct)
XP See ascended
Initiative +22
Senses Perception +21; Darkvision
Defense Field (Force) aura 2; Creatures that Enter or start their turns in the aura have -5 damage. Creatres in the aura have concealment vs ranged attacks.
HP 375; Bloodied 187; At 0, turn into Ascended Form
Saving Throws +5
Speed Speed 12, Fly 12
Action Points 2
r Force Laser (Standard; at-will) ♦ Force
Range 10; +32 vs Fort; 4d6+15 Force damage, and Push 5. If the beam hits a mirror, It can travel this range or up to 5 from the mirror, whichever is greater. (A line of mirrors could be used to make it ranged 30 for example)
Close Blast 5; +32 vs Reflex; 4d10+3 Damage. Hit or miss: Squares in a wall 3 become a wall of gears.
c Mirror Sheen (Minor; at-will)
1/round; one square in Burst 5. In addition, make an attack vs will against a creature adjacent to it. If it hits they are dazed (save ends). Make a pillar of glass. It has 25 hp. If a Force Laser is fired into it, extend its range by 5.
c Activate Array (Standard; recharge 6) ♦ Electricity
The Juixis array takes an action.
Organic Decay
When bloodied; Fly Speed decreases to 6.
Alignment Evil
Str 23 (+19)
Dex 24 (+20)
Wis 18 (+17)
Con 26 (+21)
Int 22 (+19)
Cha 28 (+22)

Dragontech Ascendant (Ascended Form)
Level 27 Solo Controller
Huge Natural Beast (dragon, Construct)
XP 55,000
Initiative +22
Senses Perception +21; Dark vision
HP 375; Bloodied 187
Saving Throws +5
Speed 0
Action Points 1
MBite (Standard; at-will)
+35 vs AC; 4d6+9 damage, and target is stunned (Save ends).
Close Blast 5; +32 vs Reflex; 4d10+3 Damage and target is immobilized. Hit or miss: Squares in a wall 3 become a wall of gears.
c Form Head (Minor; encounter)
Useable 2/encounter; Close burst 5; A head is formed of one of the arrays. See Array Head creature.
Critical
When bloodied; ST Bonus becomes +2
Alignment Evil
Str 23 (+19)
Dex 24 (+20)
Wis 18 (+17)
Con 26 (+21)
Int 22 (+19)
Cha 28 (+22)

Juixis Array
Level 26 Blaster
Creature controlled Trap
XP 5000
Trap: 9 4x4 sections, each activated by the Legion form
Trigger
When Activate Array is used
Attack
Standard Action, Close burst 1 (All squares adjacent to the array, as well as up to the roof). Recharge 4,5,6.
Target: All enemies
Attack: + 30 vs Reflex
Hit: 4d10+3 Electricity damage, and blinded until end of next turn.
Attack 2
Standard Action, Area burst 1
Effect: 2d4+1 minions are generated in the area. Minions use the Lich Vestige Statstics (Page 176), lacking the aura and all powers lose the necrotic keyword.
Countermeasures
A Character can make a DC 26 Arcana or dungeoneering check to disable one array.
A character may smash an element of the array. Each one is automatically hit, has 80 hp, and resist 15 all.
Only three elements can be acting at a time.

Array Head
Level 26 Brute
Large Natural Animate (Dragon, Construct)
XP None
Initiative +21
Senses Perception +21
HP 75; Bloodied 37
AC 32; Fortitude 32, Reflex 32, Will 32
Speed
M Bite (Standard)
+32 vs AC; 3d6+10 damage, and Target is grapped.
Close Blast 5; +30 vs Reflex; 2d8+9 damage. Squares in a wall 1 become gear walls.
Alignment Unaligned
Languages
Str 26 (+21)
Dex 1 (+8)
Wis 26 (+21)
Con 26 (+21)
Int 26 (+21)
Cha 26 (+21)

Map:
http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/360/oneshots.jpg

After testing, I found that the Mirrors weren't used much, so I changed the laser for the second form into a wall 4, hitting everything in it. The Mirrors then become essential because they "reset" how many squares have been used, so with one mirror there is a wall 8 instead.

Jogi
2009-05-07, 07:20 PM
Hmmm. Nice tips *taking notes*!

:D also, interesting boss you did there!

While reading this it occourred to me that sometimes Magic: The Gathering cards can sometimes help you with a boss. I remembered a card named Hate Weaver, and decided to make a boss with it, using the idea you gave me:

- Encounter power (standard + move; recharge: d6 - 4, 5, 6):
Duration: until halted.
The hate weaver focus on an enemie. If the Hate weaver takes any damage, the target of his focus takes half of that damage. Whenever the Hate Weaver is hit while using this power, it makes a Endurance check against a DC equal to the attack roll. If he fails, the use of this power is halted.

Also, I should give the hate weaver HP regen of 5, so he could focus on a target and survive to tell the tale.

:)

Foryn Gilnith
2009-05-08, 06:15 AM
You didn't have to label this [4e], you know. I'm a 3.5 junkie, and I understood enough of the jargon to learn the valuable lesson you posed.

Gralamin
2009-05-09, 08:20 PM
Hmmm. Nice tips *taking notes*!

:D also, interesting boss you did there!

While reading this it occourred to me that sometimes Magic: The Gathering cards can sometimes help you with a boss. I remembered a card named Hate Weaver, and decided to make a boss with it, using the idea you gave me:

- Encounter power (standard + move; recharge: d6 - 4, 5, 6):
Duration: until halted.
The hate weaver focus on an enemie. If the Hate weaver takes any damage, the target of his focus takes half of that damage. Whenever the Hate Weaver is hit while using this power, it makes a Endurance check against a DC equal to the attack roll. If he fails, the use of this power is halted.

Also, I should give the hate weaver HP regen of 5, so he could focus on a target and survive to tell the tale.

:)

Thanks. Anything is good inspiration (or stealing), but be sure to run some play tests on bosses first. Generally I do this by getting a group of unrelated people to face the boss and analyze the battle as it goes, but you could just make up characters and have them fight yourself, or run numbers or any other system.

You didn't have to label this [4e], you know. I'm a 3.5 junkie, and I understood enough of the jargon to learn the valuable lesson you posed.

I labeled it [4e] because it has a lot of [4e] specific information. I'll change it to [Any, but 4e focused] if it fits.