PDA

View Full Version : Elan's last name - something new to argue about?

Criti
2009-05-07, 06:53 AM
So I was re-reading Origin of the PCs the other day, and something occured to me... it didn't reference Elan's last name.

Then I went searching through the other books, and I still couldn't find Elan's last name.

Normally, something like this would be fairly meaningless to me - but then I realized that every other member of the Order has a set last name. They even introduce themselves to one another using their last names... except for Elan

Then I glanced at one of the book intros, where Rich tells us that Elan was the first character he cooked up.

To give everyone a last name except the first conceived character?

Coincidence? Or setting us up for something bigger?

Ancalagon
2009-05-07, 06:59 AM
Maybe he does not have one? I'd guess that many fantasy-RPG characters do not have a last name.

Equester
2009-05-07, 07:03 AM
Considering that Elan's farther probably is the warlord who have captured Haley's farther, knowing Elan's last name would probably ruin any and all drama when/if it is reviled.

daggaz
2009-05-07, 07:54 AM
Considering that Elan's farther probably is the warlord who have captured Haley's farther, knowing Elan's last name would probably ruin any and all drama when/if it is reviled.

Nothing could be more father from the truth!! (Sounds like somebody's having daddy issues..)

Zerg Cookie
2009-05-07, 07:55 AM
Do we know V's last name? :smallconfused:

Omegonthesane
2009-05-07, 10:06 AM

How much drama could there be to ruin by revealing (or rather, confirming) that his full name is *le gasp* Elan Tyrinar, given that means a Nale Tyrinar is running around as well? That said, he probably took the surname of his mother if she was the one who raised him alone.

Zanaril
2009-05-07, 10:31 AM
Do we know V's last name? :smallconfused:

They have long enough first names.

Raging Gene Ray
2009-05-07, 11:18 AM
Since it's been speculated so much, people will only be surprised if Lord Tyrinar is not Elan's father.

Haven
2009-05-07, 12:31 PM
Since it's been speculated so much, people will only be surprised if Lord Tyrinar is not Elan's father.

:| The Giant's audience is not only those people who are reading the forums. I think it's quite the opposite actually.

But yeah, one of the first things I noticed about this comic was that his last name was missing on the cast page. When the comic with the letter to Haley came out, the possible significance of that finally came out.

Equester
2009-05-07, 12:51 PM
How much drama could there be to ruin by revealing (or rather, confirming) that his full name is *le gasp* Elan Tyrinar, given that means a Nale Tyrinar is running around as well? That said, he probably took the surname of his mother if she was the one who raised him alone.

A fair bit between Haley and Elan, imagine finding out your lovers father is responsible for your fathers abduction. Even though a lot of forum goers and probably regular readers have speculated in it, it is still worth to save for the sake of drama in the story.

The Pilgrim
2009-05-07, 01:02 PM
Elan in saving it for an emergency

Haven
2009-05-07, 02:24 PM
Elan in saving it for an emergency

:smallsmile: *chuckle*

Scarlet Knight
2009-05-07, 02:52 PM
Elan has already told us his name: Elan Icalicus

Linkavitch
2009-05-07, 02:57 PM
Elan has already told us his name: Elan Icalicus

That was when Elan wanted to be a wizard, and he thought that wizards needed mysterious and magical-y sounding names.

Liwen
2009-05-07, 03:27 PM
Warning, epileptic tree incoming!

Do we know if Xykon ever had the time to produce offspring? Which could have been seal in temporal stasis crystals and told a ******** story about their past after being freed by a random group of adventurers... If so, could Xykon's, Nale's and Elan's true family name be revealed in a climatic Star Wars ish duel

:xykon: Elan, I am your father!

:elan: (pulling a genre convention) NNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

:nale: Ewwww grosss.

Dun Dun Duuuuunnn!

:roy: *Facepalm*

Raging Gene Ray
2009-05-07, 03:41 PM
:| The Giant's audience is not only those people who are reading the forums. I think it's quite the opposite actually.

Hey, you're right! Sorry about that...

shadzar
2009-05-07, 05:15 PM
Would it upset people in the whole level/class geekery thread, if they found out that Elan hadn't earned name level yet, so he isn't even 9th level. :smalleek:

Therefore he doesn't have a last name. :smallbiggrin:

Scarlet Knight
2009-05-07, 10:05 PM
Maybe he does not have one? I'd guess that many fantasy-RPG characters do not have a last name.

It's not a RPG thing for Elan, it's a musician thing; like Prince, Flea, Slash,...um, which list was I doing again?

Trebuchet
2009-05-07, 10:30 PM
I was wondering about that myself. I just today finished reading War and XPs, which was great, and had all kinds of interesting comments from Mr. Burlew. There were bonus strips, and the story flows so well in book form.

Anyway, the beginning has a "story so far" section, with what I assume are full names. Vaarsuvius is listed without a last name (or known gender), and Elan is listed as "Elan the Bard." He may not have one, as such.

kpenguin
2009-05-07, 10:34 PM
Clearly his last name is "the Bard"

xyzzy
2009-05-07, 10:47 PM
I was wondering about that myself. I just today finished reading War and XPs, which was great, and had all kinds of interesting comments from Mr. Burlew. There were bonus strips, and the story flows so well in book form.

Anyway, the beginning has a "story so far" section, with what I assume are full names. Vaarsuvius is listed without a last name (or known gender), and Elan is listed as "Elan the Bard." He may not have one, as such.

Well, obviously his last name is "the Bard". The reason Nale is so angry is because he doesn't like being associated with the carefree ways of his namesake class.

Berserk Monk
2009-05-08, 12:58 AM
Elan's last name is Nale's last name spelt backwards.

Also, lots of character in oots don't have last name besides those in the order.

David Argall
2009-05-08, 02:52 AM
Do we know if Xykon ever had the time to produce offspring?

SoD p. 26. Xykon's reason for stealing the crown was to pick up girls in bars. So he may have some descendants wandering around. However, Xykon becomes a lich [and sterile] about 27 years ago, and Elan is 21.

:xykon: Elan, I am your father!

Both of Elan's parents are known, and are not Xykon. Of course not all women are honest about, or even aware of who the father is, but dark haired parents like Xykon rarely have blond children like Elan.

Holammer
2009-05-08, 04:05 AM
All the great heroes in fiction are only known by their first name. Could this mean Elan is the actual hero of the story? *head explodes*

Omegonthesane
2009-05-08, 05:00 AM
SoD p. 26. Xykon's reason for stealing the crown was to pick up girls in bars. So he may have some descendants wandering around. However, Xykon becomes a lich [and sterile] about 27 years ago, and Elan is 21.

Both of Elan's parents are known, and are not Xykon. Of course not all women are honest about, or even aware of who the father is, but dark haired parents like Xykon rarely have blond children like Elan.
That still leaves room for Xykon to be Elan's grandfather. Maybe even on his mother's side, since X doesn't seem the type to commit. Still, it wouldn't really add much to the story to confirm it - unless Lord Tyrinar hated Xykon for being related to his ex-wife...

Chronos
2009-05-08, 05:14 PM
but dark haired parents like Xykon rarely have blond children like Elan.Eh, it's not all that rare. The only "impossible" combination, under classical genetics, is for two blond parents to produce a dark-haired child.

derfenrirwolv
2009-05-08, 10:22 PM
How much drama could there be to ruin by revealing (or rather, confirming) that his full name is *le gasp* Elan Tyrinar, given that means a Nale Tyrinar is running around as well?

A LOT of drama if Durkon is marrying them and asks for his full name only when they're at the altar.

Morgan Wick
2009-05-09, 12:12 AM
At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if the connection is revealed as anticlimactically as Sabine being a succubus.

In mid-strip towards the end of this book:
:guard:: Who wishes to see the great and powerful Lord Tyrinar?
:nale:: I do, his son, Nale.

TheBlackArcher
2009-05-09, 06:11 AM
Elan's last name is Nale's last name spelt backwards.

Also, lots of character in oots don't have last name besides those in the order.
Nale Tyrinar

Elan Raniryt
?

Zerg Cookie
2009-05-09, 07:12 AM
While Elan and Nale are brothers, they may not share a last name
We know that their parents divorced when they were babies, so Elan is probably using their mother's last name and Nale is using their father's last name (Tyrannosaurus or something)

Omegonthesane
2009-05-09, 08:01 AM
At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if the connection is revealed as anticlimactically as Sabine being a succubus.

In mid-strip towards the end of this book:
:guard:: Who wishes to see the great and powerful Lord Tyrinar?
:nale:: I do, his son, Nale.

That wouldn't precisely be anticlimactic.
After all, it would indicate Nale finally calling for backup in his evil plans, which might well lead to him at last defeating the Order. Or would, if they didn't have to kill Xykon first.

Dagren
2009-05-09, 08:01 AM
I always got the impression that Nale killed their father. (#61 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0061.html), panel 5)

Raging Gene Ray
2009-05-09, 08:33 AM
I always got the impression that Nale killed their father. (#61 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0061.html), panel 5)

That always gave me the impression that Nale's father didn't consider him powerful enough to lead an army or something, and Nale didn't take the criticism very well, so he decided to start his own adventuring party to prove himself.

:nale: Fine, Dad! I'll start my own empire, with blackjack and hookers! In fact, forget the empire and the blackjack!

Dagren
2009-05-09, 08:59 AM
That always gave me the impression that Nale's father didn't consider him powerful enough to lead an army or something, and Nale didn't take the criticism very well, so he decided to start his own adventuring party to prove himself.

:nale: Fine, Dad! I'll start my own empire, with blackjack and hookers! In fact, forget the empire and the blackjack!Maybe. Like I said, it's just an impression. (Although he says it in the context of trying to kill Elan, so...)