PDA

View Full Version : [IC] Historical Society of the Chimeric City

souldoubt
2009-05-07, 01:18 PM
As promised:

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd16/bucketofsouls/HistoricalSocietyMap.jpg

Map Scale: Every marbled square is approximately 20 or 25 feet. The Docks and the Channel are probably larger than shown here; the entrances to the Historical Society are probably smaller than shown.

Caravanserai: Migrant traders inhabit block upon block of the ruins surrounding the Historical Society, a churning sea of awnings and constantly changing venues. The hodgepodge architecture is kept in serviceable (if often roofless) shape by the rotation of merchants and nomads who set up home and shop there; the only permanent establishments are various taverns and inns scattered throughout the caravanserai.

The Channel: Flows to Northtel; watercraft travel along the Channel bringing trade to the Historical Society.

The Docks: Like the caravanserai, the docks are teaming with trade. In fact, there isn't much difference between the docks and the caravanserai except for how the nomads and merchants travel to and from there (by water rather than overland).

Livestock Pens and Gardens: The Society keeps ceratopsians and comsagnathids. The gardens contain both food plants and flowers.

Stairs and Stories: There are two staircases in the western hall, as well as a spiral staircase in each corner; all of them grant access to all five above-ground levels of the Society, as well as the mushroom cellar.

I think the rest should be fairly self-explanatory, or at least open to exploration. Meals are served in a mess hall on the first floor of the Member Quarters, and expedition teams gather and assignments are given out on the first floor of the Curatorial Chambers. Artifact storage spills over into the library on the upper levels. Questions can be posed in the OOC thread.

You may begin wherever you wish.

Archpaladin Zousha
2009-05-07, 01:47 PM
The green-skinned man wrapped in linens strides past the gardens and livestock pens, and enter's the Society headquarters.

"I am looking for someone in a position of authority within this organization." he states, loudly and matter-of-factly.

Animegoat
2009-05-07, 02:04 PM
Fiery haired/feathered youth snaps his a book shut. "And you are?"

Archpaladin Zousha
2009-05-07, 02:10 PM
"I am Zaphnath-paaneah, The-God-Speaks-And-He-Lives. I was sent here by my superiors in the Temple of Altua, She-Who-Guides-My-Hand-In-Battle, to serve this society as a "field agent" I believe was the word. I am to report to the highest-ranking official on the premises, to inform them of my arrival and registration."

Animegoat
2009-05-07, 02:24 PM
He brightens at the introduction. "Ah, welcome, Zaphnath-paaneah," *Adian sweeps a small bow* "I am Aidan Panagopoulos, musician, singer, sorcerer, and noted swordsman. You will find our humble leader, Emuishere Mubarak, in the Artifact Storage and Curatorial." Aidain sweeps a hand to the north. Just down the stacks, and a left at the stairwell. Welcome to the Society. And with that, Aidan returns to his book, Resonances and Reality.

Archpaladin Zousha
2009-05-07, 02:25 PM
He nods, and then heads in the direction indicated.

souldoubt
2009-05-07, 07:38 PM
The first floor of the curatorial chambers houses a collection of tables arranged around an empty square of floorspace. The tables are cluttered with all manner of things, urns, dishes, stone and clay tablets, stacks of papyrus, massive Easttel scroll-books, accordian-style Westel books, and much more.

A man busying himself at one of the tables raises his head as Zaphnath-paaneah enters. The man's shaved head is bare; he has pale pinkish skin and a row of similarly-colored scales running from his chin down his throat and disappearing into the collar of his robes. The man blinks nictitating membranes across his eyes -- his irises are a striking ruby color -- but shows no other sign of surprise or any other emotion on his calm features.

"Can I help you?" he asks in Southspeak. His style of dress is Gizan, but his accent sounds like he's from Westtel.

Here's what Zaphnath-paaneah deduces with passive Insight:
You don't think that this is the leader of the Historical Society. For one thing, he looks too young (about 30 or 35), and for another, Emuishere is typically a female name.

S.K.U.M.M.
2009-05-08, 11:14 AM
Kan sits at a table, absorbed in a book. Nothing less that melee combat can break his concentration in the book.

Archpaladin Zousha
2009-05-08, 07:22 PM
The first floor of the curatorial chambers houses a collection of tables arranged around an empty square of floorspace. The tables are cluttered with all manner of things, urns, dishes, stone and clay tablets, stacks of papyrus, massive Easttel scroll-books, accordian-style Westel books, and much more.

A man busying himself at one of the tables raises his head as Zaphnath-paaneah enters. The man's shaved head is bare; he has pale pinkish skin and a row of similarly-colored scales running from his chin down his throat and disappearing into the collar of his robes. The man blinks nictitating membranes across his eyes -- his irises are a striking ruby color -- but shows no other sign of surprise or any other emotion on his calm features.

"Can I help you?" he asks in Southspeak. His style of dress is Gizan, but his accent sounds like he's from Westtel.

Here's what Zaphnath-paaneah deduces with passive Insight:
You don't think that this is the leader of the Historical Society. For one thing, he looks too young (about 30 or 35), and for another, Emuishere is typically a female name.

Zaphnath-paaneah stands up straight.

"I am Zaphnath-paaneah, The-God-Speaks-And-He-Lives. I am seeking the leader of this Society, one Emuishere, to report to her that I am the agent the temple of Altua has sent to serve under her."

souldoubt
2009-05-09, 06:54 PM
"Ah, yes," says the man. "We've been expecting you. I am Omacatl Coatzin, the Head Curator." He bows, then gestures for Zaphnath-paaneah to follow him. "Mistress Mubarak is on the third floor, supervising the restoration of a bronze brazier that was lately brought in." Omacatl heads for the spiral staircase in the room's corner, moving with stately grace.

Archpaladin Zousha
2009-05-10, 11:17 AM
Zaphnath-paaneah follows after him, his back stiffer than a pillar.

souldoubt
2009-05-11, 10:21 AM
Curatorial

Arriving on the third floor, Zaphnath-paaneah sees a group of curators diligently and carefully removing centuries of grime and charcoal from the surface of a large bronze dish, with intricate silver inlay. An elderly woman leaning on a cane turns from the proceedings to face Omacatl and Zaphnath-paaneah, either hearing or sensing their approach.

"Mistress," Omacatl says, bowing. "This is Zapnath-paaneah, the new surveyor we were expecting."

The old woman's yellow cat eyes study Zaphnath-paaneah's features, seeming to see through him. "Hello, lad," she greets him simply. "So, you think that you have what it takes to join the ranks of the Historical Society, do you?"

Animegoat
2009-05-11, 04:11 PM
Back in the 1st floor Library
Aidan finishes his book, places it back on the shelf where he got it, and then starts looking around for the second volume. Craning his neck, he spies it at the top shelf, far beyond his reach. Glancing down at the broken librarian's ladder, he sighs audibly. "How in the all the Burroughs did that happen?" He sets off around the Societies campus grounds calling "Hermogenes? Hermogenes! I need your long arms!" While muttering under his breath "and maybe your tin hide for breaking that ladder... no, no, it could have been Mr. Zhoang or any other number of vertically inclined individuals... rubbish ladder... damned short parentage..."

Archpaladin Zousha
2009-05-11, 08:29 PM
Curatorial

Arriving on the third floor, Zaphnath-paaneah sees a group of curators diligently and carefully removing centuries of grime and charcoal from the surface of a large bronze dish, with intricate silver inlay. An elderly woman leaning on a cane turns from the proceedings to face Omacatl and Zaphnath-paaneah, either hearing or sensing their approach.

"Mistress," Omacatl says, bowing. "This is Zapnath-paaneah, the new surveyor we were expecting."

The old woman's yellow cat eyes study Zaphnath-paaneah's features, seeming to see through him. "Hello, lad," she greets him simply. "So, you think that you have what it takes to join the ranks of the Historical Society, do you?"

Zaphnath-paaneah bows.

"I do not know whether or not I have what it takes, my lady, but apparently my superiors in the temple of Altua do. I am here to serve you and your society in any capacity, so long as that service does not conflict with my duties to my superiors and to She-Who-Guides-My-Hand-In-Battle."

souldoubt
2009-05-13, 11:56 AM
Curatorial, 3rd Floor

The old woman nods. "Well said. I'm sure you will prove an asset to our little organization, and a sterling servant of your deity." She tilts her head aside, as if listening; here pointed ears twitch. "I can hear young master Panagopoulos bellowing something. Why don't you go see what he's up to, Zaphnath-paaneah? He's the fiery-plumed fellow I'm sure you met on your way in. He rarely misses the chance to greet newcomers."

Practice Grounds

As Aidan circumnavigates the Society grounds calling for Hermogenes, he finds himself in the practice grounds, it's many training dummies standing in mute ranks. A large middle-aged man, is practicing spear-and-shield drills with a gusto that belies his graying hair. Aidan recognizes him as Euthymios, the Field Master, head coordinator of all expeditions.
A startling array of old white scars mar the black skin of his arms, legs, and chest, and he wears a patch over his right eye. Small horns point upward from the far corners of his eyebrows, mirrored by another pair pointing down from beneath either side of his jaw.
Euthymios pauses, planting the butt of his spear as he faces Aidan. "What are you on about, lad? Lose a cat?"

Archpaladin Zousha
2009-05-13, 12:06 PM
Zaphnath-paaneah bows to the old woman.

"As you command."

He turns briskly and leaves, looking for the fiery-plumed fellow.

Animegoat
2009-05-14, 08:38 PM
Aidan pauses at the sight of the Euthymios, and sooths his voice to his lilting diplomatic flair. "Ah, Master Euthymios. Training well, I presume. Have you, by chance, spied the great wonder of our Society, Hermogenes? I haven't seen him in quite some time, and I was hoping to procure his aid in reaching some books far beyond my reach. I could climb, but such vulgar tasks are not my forte..." His eyebrows quirk at the precise spear thrusts of Euthymios, and his leathery tail twitches with each whistling swipe. "Or, I suppose, seeing as he is either out of ear shot or is avoiding me, perhaps you would like a sparring partner?"

souldoubt
2009-05-15, 12:04 PM
Euthymios

"I haven't seen that rusted heap in an age. I think his creator may have taken him away somewhere, likely Northtel." He grins at the suggestion of a sparring partner. "You think you could handle that? I'd have to go easy on you."

Animegoat
2009-05-15, 04:17 PM
The crimson plumage at the base of Aidan's neck ruffles at the challenge of his skill, but he coolly smooths them down before speaking. "I'm sure I will manage, somehow. You might enjoy contending with my unorthodox methods. Shall we?" A grin lights his face with these last words.

Archpaladin Zousha
2009-05-16, 12:24 PM
Zaphnath-paaneah arrives downstairs and soon locates Aidan.

"You are young master Panagopoulos, are you not?"

Animegoat
2009-05-16, 04:05 PM
Aidan turns a bright smile on Zapnath-paaneah. "Why, yes, I am. And you would be Altua's pride and joy. Would you care to join Master Euthymios and I in a sparring match? More the merrier."

Animegoat
2009-05-16, 04:10 PM
"Why, yes, I am. And you would be Altua's pride and joy. Would you care to join Master Euthymios and I in a sparring match? More the merrier."

Trying the roll again.

[roll0]

souldoubt
2009-05-17, 09:40 PM
Euthymios looks between Aidan and Zaphnath-paaneah.

"Yes, here's an opponent who might be a little more your size, young Aidan." Turns to Zaphnath-paaneah. "What's your name, lad? You're new to the Society, aren't you?"

Archpaladin Zousha
2009-05-18, 12:28 AM
Zaphnath-paaneah bows to Euthymios.

"I am Zaphnath-paaneah, servant of Altua, She-Who-Guides-My-Hand-In-Battle. I was assigned to work with your Society at the behest of my superiors."

S.K.U.M.M.
2009-05-18, 12:56 PM
Kan walks up to the two men, wondering what they are talking about.

Insight check to see what they are talking about.

[roll0]

souldoubt
2009-05-18, 04:34 PM
Kan isn't certain, but he gets the vague impression that Aidan and the green-skinned young man he doesn't know are talking about flowers. :smalltongue:

Euthymios greets Kan with a neutral nod.

S.K.U.M.M.
2009-05-19, 01:47 PM
"Oh, hello, I was wondering if everybody is okay here?" He seems concerned for all member of the party. "I was reading, and I heard some raised voices. I am Kan Hok' Chitam, by the way."

Archpaladin Zousha
2009-05-19, 02:47 PM
Zaphnath-paaneah bows to Kan and gives his customary greeting.

souldoubt
2009-05-20, 02:21 PM
"Oh, hello, I was wondering if everybody is okay here?" He seems concerned for all member of the party. "I was reading, and I heard some raised voices. I am Kan Hok' Chitam, by the way."

Euthymios
"There's been some discussion of sparring. You're welcome to join, if you'd like. I thought I'd moderate and judge, and give you young folks a chance to test each others mettle."

Archpaladin Zousha
2009-05-20, 03:20 PM
"I would welcome an opportunity to test my prowess. This Society is said to have many great combatants, and I am eager to see if that is true."

Animegoat
2009-05-20, 03:23 PM
Aidan offers Kan his customary smile and nod."Ah, my friend, I would be overjoyed to have you join us. Perhaps we should arrange this in a small tournament style. Two spar, and then the victor battles the odd man out. After that, the first defeated man may spar with the odd man out. I also think we can all agree to keep our spells to nothings so earth shattering as to sap our strength for the day."* His smile curls into an anticipatory grin showing his razor sharp teeth. "Sounds fun to me."

*Meaning no dailies.

souldoubt
2009-05-21, 12:08 PM
Euthymios nods in agreement at the terms that Aidan lays out. "Yes, that sounds well and good. Who's to go first?"

Archpaladin Zousha
2009-05-21, 12:54 PM
"I shall begin, if I may."

Animegoat
2009-05-21, 03:05 PM
"Well, then I believe I shall partner with you because I was here before good Kan."

Archpaladin Zousha
2009-05-21, 04:06 PM
"It shall be my honor to face you. Where shall we spar?"

souldoubt
2009-05-21, 07:27 PM
"It shall be my honor to face you. Where shall we spar?"

Ethymios gestures around. "Right here, of course. These are the practice grounds, after all. They're meant for combat training." The burly, scarred veteran steps back, clearing a space for the two of you two spar. "I'll moderate, as I said before. Prepare yourselves!" He holds up an arm, and lets it fall.

((Roll initiative, gents. :smallamused:))

Animegoat
2009-05-21, 10:30 PM
Aidan draws his sword and dagger and adopts a fighting stance.

[roll0]

Archpaladin Zousha
2009-05-22, 11:24 PM
Zaphnath-paaneah unhooks his flail from his belt and starts spinning it menacingly.

Initiative: [roll0]

Archpaladin Zousha
2009-05-23, 04:21 PM
Zaphnath-paaneah swings his flail at Aidan and moves to the side, trying to pull him with the flail.

Overwhelming Strike:

Attack: [roll0] vs. AC

Damage: [roll1] damage. Zaphnath-paaneah shifts 1 square to the left and slides Aidan 1 square into the space Zaphnath-paaneah just left.

Animegoat
2009-05-23, 08:26 PM
Aidan takes the blow full in the side, stumbling from the tug of the flail. With a deft flourish, he makes a deliberate slash at Zaphnath-paaneah.

Guiding Strike
Your weapon stroke guides your allies, showing them where to focus their attacks.
At-Will✦Arcane, Weapon
Standard Action Melee weapon
Target: One creature
Attack: Charisma vs. AC
Hit: 1[W] + Charisma modifier damage, and the target
takes a –2 penalty to the defense of your choice until the end of your next turn.
Level 21: 2[W] + Charisma modifier damage.

[roll0]
[roll1]

On hit: take -2 to Fort.

souldoubt
2009-05-26, 11:26 PM
"What are you waiting for, go at him again!" Euthymios shouts to Zaphnath-paaneah from the sidelines.

Archpaladin Zousha
2009-05-28, 09:12 AM
Zaphnath-paaneah seems to be in some sort of trance, effortlessly dodging Aidan's stike and swaying from side-to-side until Euthymios's words snap him back to reality. Completely focused now, his eyes seem to glimmer and he has a sudden burst of energy, bringing his flail down in an arc towards Aidan's head.

Aspect of Might:

Attack: [roll0]

Damage: [roll1]

Miss: 10 damage

Effect: Until the end of the encounter, Zaphnath-paaneah gains a +5 power bonus on Athletics checks, a +2 power bonus to speed, and a +2 power bonus to the damage rolls of melee attacks.

Animegoat
2009-05-28, 05:21 PM
Aidan twists almost out of the way of the strike, several of the flails tongs tearing through his shoulder, and then grounds his stance to take in a deep breath. He then exhales with a great warcry, the blast sending bits of grass and dirt flying. The center of the blast hits Zaphnath-paaneah, and tries to send him flying back.

Shout of Triumph
You unleash a mighty call of battle, scattering your enemies while urging your allies forward.
Encounter ✦ Arcane, Implement, Thunder
Standard Action Close blast 3
Target: Each enemy in blast
Attack: Charisma vs. Fortitude
Hit: 1d6 + Charisma modifier thunder damage, and you
push the target 1 square.
Effect: You slide each ally in the blast 1 square.
Virtue of Valor: The number of squares you push the
target and slide the allies equals your Constitution
modifier.

[roll0]
[roll1]

On hit: Zaphnath-paaneah is pushed 3 squares.

Archpaladin Zousha
2009-05-28, 05:41 PM
Zaphnath-paaneah holds his flail out in front of him, chanting a prayer to Altua under his breath. The prayer seems the strengthen him, allowing him to stand firm in the face of Aidan's attack.

Then he looks at Aidan, a confident look in his eye.

"Altua guides my hand in battle. Your defeat is inevitable."

He lowers his flail and pulls the crook from his belt, a common Southtel holy symbol, and points it at Aidan, a bright bolt of light streaming forth from it towards Aidan
Radiant Vengeance

Damage: [roll1] radiant damage, and Zaphnath-paaneah gains 4 temporary hit points.

Animegoat? I know my last attack missed, but the attack I used does half-damage on a miss. Aidan doesn't look like he took any damage. Just a quibble, but even though it missed, it was such a powerful attack that there was no way to completely avoid it.

Animegoat
2009-05-28, 07:16 PM
Realizing what is about to happen, Aidan takes a quick swipe at Zapnath-paaneah, but swings wide. Fortunately, the bright light whizzes past Aidan's head as he quickly whispers lines from an ancient epic, bolstering his strength.

Majestic Word:
You utter words laden with preternatural inspiration, restoring your ally’s stamina and making wounds seem insignificant.
Encounter (Special) ✦ Arcane, Healing
Minor Action Close burst 5
Target: You or one ally in burst
Effect: The target can spend a healing surge and regain
additional hit points equal to your Charisma modifier.
You also slide the target 1 square.
Special: You can use this power twice per encounter, but only once per round.

Heals for 7+5=12

With his confidence regained, he lunges at Zaphnath-paaneah with his longsword, hoping to create a greater opening in his defense.

Guiding Strike:
Your weapon stroke guides your allies, showing them where to focus their attacks.
At-Will✦Arcane, Weapon
takes a –2 penalty to the defense of your choice until the end of your next turn.

[roll0]

[roll1]

On Hit: take -2 to AC

Archpaladin Zousha
2009-05-28, 10:39 PM
Zaphnath-paaneah grunts as Aidan's sword cleaves through the hardened leather of his armor. A part of his chest now lies exposed.

"I see what kind of warrior you are now. Bold and fiery. But in the end, it will not grant you victory."

Zaphnath-paaneah begins twirling his flail, faster and faster until he takes a step past Aidan, bringing the flail back behind his head to try and knock him forward.

Another Overwhelming Strike:

Damage: [roll1] damage, and Aidan is slid into the space Zaphnath-paaneah just occupied.

Animegoat
2009-05-28, 11:01 PM
Aidan spins, ducks, and whirlwinds his arms vertically to dodge the swing of the flail. "Like fire and thunder, I am." says, flashing a razor sharp grin. He ends his spin with a deft thrust to Zapnath-Paaneah's exposed chest.

Guiding Strike:
At-Will✦Arcane, Weapon

[roll0]
[roll1]

On Hit: take -2 to Ref this time.

Archpaladin Zousha
2009-05-28, 11:22 PM
Zaphnath-paaneah cries out in pain as Aidan's blade connects, then immediately starts muttering curses to himself under his breath, reprimanding himself for reacting.

He steps away from Aidan as he swings his flail behind Aidan's neck, hoping to drag him along.

Yet another Overwhelming Strike:

Damage: [roll1] damage, and Aidan is slid into the space Zaphnath-paaneah just occupied.

The reason I'm not using Bond of Pursuit is because I strongly doubt Aidan is going to try and move away from Zaphnath-paaneah any time soon.

Animegoat
2009-05-29, 01:30 AM
Barely avoiding the slash to his head, Aidan manages to duck and uses his parrying dagger to deflect the whipping flail. Whipping the dagger around in a flourish, flame sprouts from the tip and flies in a wide arc at Zapnath-Paaneah.

Burning Spray:
You fling your arm in a wide arc, casting liquid fire at your foes.
At-Will [encounter] ✦Arcane, Fire, Implement
Standard Action Close blast 3
Target: Each creature in blast
Attack: Charisma vs. Reflex
Hit: 1d8 + Charisma modifier fire damage.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Archpaladin Zousha
2009-05-29, 08:58 AM
The blast of fire sears Zaphnath-paaneah, and he falls to his knees. He struggles to get back up, and looks at Aidan angrily.

"Altua will NOT permit me to lose!"

He swings his flail weakly, still hurt very badly from the burns.

Basic attack: [roll0]

Damage: [roll1]

Zaphnath-paaneah's down to 2 hit points now, thanks to that crit. One more attack will most certainly finish him.

Animegoat
2009-05-29, 02:14 PM
Aidan takes the flail full in the face, which wipes the smile off from it. Staggering slightly, blood dripping from wounds on his face and should, he goes for the final blow.

Guiding Strike:
At-Will✦Arcane, Weapon

[roll0]
[roll1]

On Hit: take -2 to AC

Archpaladin Zousha
2009-05-30, 11:59 AM
Zaphnath-paaneah, despite his burns, manages to avoid the sword and swings his flail again, stepping to the side and trying to drag Aidan after him.

And we have yet another Overwhelming Strike:

Damage: [2d6+4] damage, and Aidan is slid into the space Zaphnath-paaneah just occupied.

Archpaladin Zousha
2009-05-30, 12:00 PM
Entered the damage roll wrong. Here it is now:
[roll0]