PDA

View Full Version : Groundhog's Random Banter of Weather Prediction and Anti-Gopherness #120

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6

CurlyKitGirl
2009-05-16, 02:23 PM
Y'know, even in your posts, I can see a heckuvan author, ready to write something worthy of literary praise. :smalltongue:

Sadly The Evil Kittencat owns it.
I shall never escape her treacherous, needling, grasping claws. Her very painful claws. Blood drawing, she smirks when it happends.
Yet I love her.
Stupid slavery.

Dragonrider
2009-05-16, 02:46 PM
Sadly The Evil Kittencat owns it.
I shall never escape her treacherous, needling, grasping claws. Her very painful claws. Blood drawing, she smirks when it happends.
Yet I love her.
Stupid slavery.

She has you well-trained.

Also: berets unite! :smallbiggrin:

Edit: and: I'm back on the writing horse. In lieu of copying my chem notes as I should be doing, I broke the 100-page barrier today on a new story. More than a quarter, less than a third of the way through. But - ! I haz plot and voice and this particular character (it's first-person) has STYLE. I'm really happy.

InaVegt
2009-05-16, 03:00 PM
Edit: and: I'm back on the writing horse. In lieu of copying my chem notes as I should be doing, I broke the 100-page barrier today on a new story. More than a quarter, less than a third of the way through. But - ! I haz plot and voice and this particular character (it's first-person) has STYLE. I'm really happy.

I am working on a new short story myself, I really like it so far. It's sci-fi, like all my work, and a bit experimental.

CurlyKitGirl
2009-05-16, 03:25 PM
She has you well-trained.

Yep. She even conned me into bringing her home in the first place.

Also: berets unite! :smallbiggrin:

Berets are good. But I'll be switching avvies soon. Tuesday probably as my French resit's on Monday. I don't know which Curly to switch to though.
Suggestions?

Hurrah for writing! I've just gotten over a dry spell myself. Just in time to give me something to do during Study Leave. 'Course, when I say that I mean: to interrupt my revision.
*shrugs*
At least most of my exams are spread out better this year.

InaVegt
2009-05-16, 03:27 PM
Berets are good. But I'll be switching avvies soon. Tuesday probably as my French resit's on Monday. I don't know which Curly to switch to though.
Suggestions?

Is there a Dutch Curli?

Dragonrider
2009-05-16, 04:11 PM
Hurrah for writing! I've just gotten over a dry spell myself. Just in time to give me something to do during Study Leave. 'Course, when I say that I mean: to interrupt my revision.
*shrugs*
At least most of my exams are spread out better this year.

I'm delighted to be writing again. I'm a little worried, though, because unless something changes, my protagonist looks as if the chances are very high she's going to die. She's kind of in a no-win situation and there's not a lot she can do.

As I write these words an idea is forming in my head and I feel wickedly clever. Just articulating the problem usually goes a long way towards solving it....

My mom, who's a writer, keeps telling me: every day isn't NaNoWriMo, you don't have to finish your novel in two weeks. It might be good if you do, but it will probably take a heck of a lot more editing.

She's right, of course. My mother usually is. I'm just anxious because my muse abandons me periodically and I'm terrified that if I slow down I'll lose the train of thought and get stuck...I feel like I have to get as much in as possible before I lose it.

Silly DeeRee.

Graymayre
2009-05-16, 04:13 PM
I wish I had a beret...

My face is great for it. It's chisled like a greek statue. However, I'm not sure about my body. Is skinniness an issue? Does a man need to be toned in order to wear one with style?

Eldan
2009-05-16, 04:23 PM
Be happy you're not me. Honestly. In addition to being overweight and having an immense mass of hair (I'm too lazy to invest time and money to get it cut), my head is extremely hat-resistant.
By which I mean, it's shape and size mean that, no matter what I do, hats don't fit me. I can't force a baseball cap over it even when taking out the little strap in the back for adjusting size. My father wanted to give me his old fedora and trench-coat, but it wouldn't fit. Heck, I've been to a hat-shop and they told me I'd have to buy custom-made hats for four times the prize. Can't afford that. :smallfrown:

randman22222
2009-05-16, 05:06 PM
Be happy you're not me. Honestly. In addition to being overweight and having an immense mass of hair (I'm too lazy to invest time and money to get it cut), my head is extremely hat-resistant.
By which I mean, it's shape and size mean that, no matter what I do, hats don't fit me. I can't force a baseball cap over it even when taking out the little strap in the back for adjusting size. My father wanted to give me his old fedora and trench-coat, but it wouldn't fit. Heck, I've been to a hat-shop and they told me I'd have to buy custom-made hats for four times the prize. Can't afford that. :smallfrown:

...Your... Father. He has a fedora and trenchcoat?

...Lucky...

Mr. Mud
2009-05-16, 05:07 PM
Heh, that reminds me... Y'all remember when Ruts first joined the playground? I made him that blue fedora?! :smalltongue:.

CurlyKitGirl
2009-05-16, 05:32 PM
Is there a Dutch Curli?

Nope. Not yet anyway.
Perhaps one day, in the very distant future there will be. But I do have Space Curly; Victorian Curly; several Evil Curly's; several Good Curly's; FIlmy Curly's; Spooky Curly's; Arty Curly's; a Musical Curly or two; Discworld Curly's; Seasonal Curly's and Misc. Curly's.

I'm delighted to be writing again. I'm a little worried, though, because unless something changes, my protagonist looks as if the chances are very high she's going to die. She's kind of in a no-win situation and there's not a lot she can do.

As I write these words an idea is forming in my head and I feel wickedly clever. Just articulating the problem usually goes a long way towards solving it....

My mom, who's a writer, keeps telling me: every day isn't NaNoWriMo, you don't have to finish your novel in two weeks. It might be good if you do, but it will probably take a heck of a lot more editing.

She's right, of course. My mother usually is. I'm just anxious because my muse abandons me periodically and I'm terrified that if I slow down I'll lose the train of thought and get stuck...I feel like I have to get as much in as possible before I lose it.

Silly DeeRee.

Happens to everyone that. I find it most worrying when your final draft for coursework comprising 30% of your grade is due in the next day; it's 10:30pm; you're 1200 words below minimum word count and your muse just
*blip*
disappears on you, leaving you floundering for fluency, the right phrase and everything one needs for a good essay.
It happened to me once.
So no pretty. Up 'til one am, then up at six am to finish it.
*whimpers*
I never want to go through something that drastic again.
Ignore Mrs. rider, write while the Muse is there!
Don't let it happen to you too!
DON'T!!

Recaiden
2009-05-16, 05:47 PM
Suggestions?

* gives meaningful look * But since you're not finished, Ghost Curly. I don't know much about when to do writing. Sorry.

Rawhide
2009-05-16, 09:06 PM
Curly:

http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/funny-pictures-your-cat-plans-to-kill-you5.jpg

Phase
2009-05-16, 11:20 PM
Curly:

http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/funny-pictures-your-cat-plans-to-kill-you5.jpg

Rawhide, you have an internet picture for every occasion. Are you from the future where we live in the internet? It's the only explanation.

Rutskarn
2009-05-16, 11:29 PM
Things that happen in the first half of Time Bandits, which is a PG movie that I saw as a kid:

1.) People are shot down by a firing squad.

2.) Napoleon's personal entertainment master almost commits suicide twice after his star act is hit by a stray bullet.

3.) Napoleon is drugged and robbed blind.

4.) A grungy bandit punches poor people in the face.

5.) Lots of people blow up.

6.) OMG JOHN CLEESE

The protagonists are one boy and 6 midgets.

This is just about the best movie ever.

Recaiden
2009-05-16, 11:57 PM
Was the giant spider in the second half then? It was a great movie.

Also, I just went to a birthday party for a little kid who I hadn't known before today.

Sneak
2009-05-17, 12:12 AM
Was the giant spider in the second half then? It was a great movie.

Also, I just went to a birthday party for a little kid who I hadn't known before today.

...how/why? :smallconfused:

Oh, and I just watched a couple episodes of Better Off Ted. It's actually pretty funny (even hilarious at times). And the company video parodies are hilarious.

Which reminds me, I should really get around to watching Andy Richter Controls the Universe. Which was created by the same guy.

Coidzor
2009-05-17, 12:21 AM
Further proof that whomever decided on the idea of men's formalwear is a sadist and a monster and we'd be better of removing his accursed ideas from our society.

muahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah hahahahahahahahahahahahah.

I got one that's not even a clip-on, it's just a hook. yarr :smallwink:

Recaiden
2009-05-17, 12:39 AM
...how/why? :smallconfused:

Oh, and I just watched a couple episodes of Better Off Ted. It's actually pretty funny (even hilarious at times). And the company video parodies are hilarious.

Which reminds me, I should really get around to watching Andy Richter Controls the Universe. Which was created by the same guy.

Our parents knew each other (apparently, I'd never heard of them). Coidzor, that's evil even for you.

Phase
2009-05-17, 01:44 AM

Really? Even after:

http://www.tfc.jolt.co.uk/tf2/tf2_spy.jpg

FoE
2009-05-17, 02:35 AM
Really? Even after:

http://www.tfc.jolt.co.uk/tf2/tf2_spy.jpg

You know if you hadn't posted that, I wouldn't have known about the Meet the Spy video. I don't even play Team Fortress 2, but I like those videos. Thanks, Phase.

dish
2009-05-17, 06:11 AM
Things that happen in the first half of Time Bandits, which is a PG movie that I saw as a kid:

2.) Napoleon's personal entertainment master almost commits suicide twice after his star act is hit by a stray bullet.

6.) OMG JOHN CLEESE

Directed by Terry Gilliam. Written by him and Michael Palin. Produced by Handmade Films (aka George Harrison and the Monty Python boys).

Of course it's brilliant.

(And you forgot: OMG SEAN CONNERY AS AGAMEMNON.)

Dallas-Dakota
2009-05-17, 06:16 AM
*insert many expletives which would get me banned here*

I. Hate. Misclicks.

I misclicked and accidentally closed my firefox, thus losing all my 23 tabs.

:smalleek::smallfurious::smallannoyed: :smallsigh::smallmad::smallfrown:

Fredthefighter
2009-05-17, 06:20 AM

I. Hate. Misclicks.

23 tabs? How do you have 23 things to keep track of at once?
Also, bad luck there on the misclick.
A friend of mine says "misclick" whenever he does something he shouldn't have. I use the word "friend" quite loosely here as the guy is a bit of a jerk and more of an annoying aquaintance than a friend. :smallsigh:

Sub_Zero
2009-05-17, 06:20 AM

I. Hate. Misclicks.

When I close firefox, if I have more than one tab open it asks me if I'm sure I want to quit all my tabs as well. So I've never got this problem before

Eldan
2009-05-17, 06:48 AM
Well, since I downloaded a mod called Tree Style Tabs, I tend to have more tabs open than I'll ever use. Currently, it tells me there are 183 open tabs. Among them: 20 research papers I need for citations and nearly 140 pictures from a picture gallery I intend to look at later.

Also, it just opens the tabs again when I restart firefox. There's an option for that somewhere.

DraPrime
2009-05-17, 07:42 AM
*wakes up with messy hair*

Prom was last night. It was fantastic. I went to sleep at 3 AM. And for some reason my body refuses to let me sleep any more, despite less than 6 hours of sleep after getting really tired.

*grumble*

CurlyKitGirl
2009-05-17, 07:54 AM

6.) OMG JOHN CLEESE

Directed by Terry Gilliam. Written by him and Michael Palin. Produced by Handmade Films (aka George Harrison and the Monty Python boys).

Of course it's brilliant.

(And you forgot: OMG SEAN CONNERY AS AGAMEMNON.)

And that has been Ten Reasons To Watch Time Bandits.
Not to mention the ending, the beginning, the thing with the knight; Robin Hood is JOHN CLEESE; the henchmen are incompetent; but also pigs and dogs; and I don't know how this film got a PG considering the ending.
Oh, and the middle is another reason to watch the film.

Sub_Zero
2009-05-17, 07:57 AM
And that has been Ten Reasons To Watch Time Bandits.
Not to mention the ending, the beginning, the thing with the knight; Robin Hood is JOHN CLEESE; the henchmen are incompetent; but also pigs and dogs; and I don't know how this film got a PG considering the ending.
Oh, and the middle is another reason to watch the film.

I think my favourite line was "so that's that the invisible wall looks like then"

Boo
2009-05-17, 08:14 AM
*finds old VHS tape of Time Bandits* Ah, we had some good times. I'm going to watch you right after I watch Rocky Horror Picture Show for the 9th time this month... I love audience participation!

Hmm... maybe I'll watch the... *tries to remember exact order* Cook, the thief, the wife, and her lover. I think that was the correct order of names... GREAT ENDING!!

Fredthefighter
2009-05-17, 08:16 AM
I just started playing Warhammer 40'000 II: Dawn of War. It's very good, but a little slow.

Also, you noble people have inspired me to search out this phenomenon known as Time Bandits. For I had never heard of it before. Thankyou.

EDIT: 10mins in and it's already fantastic. Dwarves attacking children, knights leaping over beds. Good stuff.

Boo
2009-05-17, 08:26 AM
*eyes widen* *stabs* *stabs again* EVIL!! How dare you not ever know of Time Bandits, the greatest Terry Gilliam film EVAR!!

*stabs once more*

I'll leave you to him, Rutskarn. Show him... the Untempered Schism!

...:smalltongue:

Dallas-Dakota
2009-05-17, 08:32 AM
I don't know of them...

Can I use the excuse of being a ignorant foreigner? A link to where I could download this movie would be great....

Please don't kill me...

Mr. Mud
2009-05-17, 08:35 AM
Don't worry DD, I haven't heard of Space Bandits either... I mean it can't be that big of a deal... It's not like he's actually gonna sta--

*falls over with knife in back* :smallamused:

wadledo
2009-05-17, 08:55 AM
*wakes up with messy hair*

Prom was last night. It was fantastic. I went to sleep at 3 AM. And for some reason my body refuses to let me sleep any more, despite less than 6 hours of sleep after getting really tired.

*grumble*

You went to prom?:smallconfused:
I'm just going to read The Hobbit.
It'll be more fun.

DraPrime
2009-05-17, 08:57 AM
You went to prom?:smallconfused:
I'm just going to read The Hobbit.
It'll be more fun.

Why not go?

wadledo
2009-05-17, 08:59 AM
Why not go?

I'd rather not waste the $15.
Plus a number of other rather pointless reasons.

Or perhaps I just want to be contrary.
Yea, that's probably it.

DraPrime
2009-05-17, 09:01 AM
I'd rather not waste the $15.
Plus a number of other rather pointless reasons.

Or perhaps I just want to be contrary.
Yea, that's probably it.

Wait, it's only $15 at your school? I envy you so much. It was $70 for me. And really, it was worth it. I got to dance/grind with a girl that I really like for several hours, which is always excellent.

wadledo
2009-05-17, 09:11 AM
Wait, it's only $15 at your school? I envy you so much. It was $70 for me. And really, it was worth it. I got to dance/grind with a girl that I really like for several hours, which is always excellent.

Oh, there we go.
I'm far to apathetic/honorable/chivalrous/much of a nihilist it bother/want to degrade someone I like like that.

I am going to the after-graduation party, so I'm not a complete shut in, which I'm very proud of.:smallamused:

DraPrime
2009-05-17, 09:13 AM
Oh, there we go.
I'm far to apathetic/honorable/chivalrous/much of a nihilist it bother/want to degrade someone I like like that.

It's not degrading...

Dallas-Dakota
2009-05-17, 09:17 AM
Atleast you guys have a prom to go to.

*starts muttering things about schools being to small and that some of the people there would ruin it , and that DD is much to introvert anyway*

Fredthefighter
2009-05-17, 09:28 AM
Our prom cost £20 (£5 deposit). Suit is probably going to cost another £50. But I do get to use the suit for my godfather's wedding, prom and 6th form, so I'll get some "bang for my buck". :smallbiggrin:
Don't have anyone to go with though. :smallsigh:
I'll have to work on that second thing.

Phase
2009-05-17, 09:30 AM
Don't worry DD, I haven't heard of Space Bandits either... I mean it can't be that big of a deal... It's not like he's actually gonna sta--

Gaah!

:smalleek:Spycheck! Spycheck! He could be you! He could be me!:smalleek:

SPYCHECK!:smalleek:

wadledo
2009-05-17, 09:31 AM
It's not degrading...

You're grinding against someone you find attractive.
In my thoughts, it's kind of like saying "I can't control myself enough not to try to hump you in public, so I'm going to make the excuse of dancing instead."

Though I don't have any problem with people doing it, I just don't see the point, or like doing it myself.

Thufir
2009-05-17, 09:34 AM

Not having heard of it I could forgive, but getting the title wrong after people have been discussing it for half a page? That's just suicide.

DraPrime
2009-05-17, 09:41 AM
You're grinding against someone you find attractive.
In my thoughts, it's kind of like saying "I can't control myself enough not to try to hump you in public, so I'm going to make the excuse of dancing instead."

Though I don't have any problem with people doing it, I just don't see the point, or like doing it myself.

Well, in that case it is degrading. Except that there's more than one reason for why someone can do it.

wadledo
2009-05-17, 09:54 AM
Well, in that case it is degrading. Except that there's more than one reason for why someone can do it.

I rest my case. (http://www.leasticoulddo.com/comic/20080329)

dish
2009-05-17, 10:32 AM
Not having heard of it I could forgive, but getting the title wrong after people have been discussing it for half a page? That's just suicide.

I thought he was being ironic? :smallconfused:

Rutskarn
2009-05-17, 10:47 AM
For the record, my Senior Prom Night substitute?

Running Tomb of Horrors.

Didn't go to Junior Prom, either.

Eldan
2009-05-17, 10:51 AM
I don't even remember what I did that night. Except for not going, of course.

randman22222
2009-05-17, 11:02 AM
I didn't go to my junior prom, but I'm going to my senior prom this month. I'm kind of sceptical as to how great it'll be... But only one way to find out.

Phase
2009-05-17, 11:04 AM
When I have my Junior Prom, then subsequently my Senior Prom, I plan on staying home and playing Video Games. (Yeah yeah, yuk it up. Phase has an inconsistent character history ha ha ha.)

Rutskarn
2009-05-17, 11:05 AM
When I have my Junior Prom, then subsequently my Senior Prom, I plan on staying home and playing Video Games. (Yeah yeah, yuk it up. Phase has an inconsistent character history ha ha ha.)

Ha, ha, Phase has an inconsistent character history ha ha ha.

Sub_Zero
2009-05-17, 11:37 AM
Our prom cost £20 (£5 deposit). Suit is probably going to cost another £50. But I do get to use the suit for my godfather's wedding, prom and 6th form, so I'll get some "bang for my buck". :smallbiggrin:
Don't have anyone to go with though. :smallsigh:
I'll have to work on that second thing.

Wow, everyone had such expensive proms. Ours was only £4, and then they didn't even check the tickets when we went in, so that was in fact a wasted £4. Then again the decoration was a bit lame, just some balloons and stuff, and hardly any food. I guess if you add the cost of the meal out afterwards then it was more expensive, but that wasn't technically part of the prom.

Fredthefighter
2009-05-17, 12:22 PM
Wow, everyone had such expensive proms. Ours was only £4, and then they didn't even check the tickets when we went in, so that was in fact a wasted £4. Then again the decoration was a bit lame, just some balloons and stuff, and hardly any food. I guess if you add the cost of the meal out afterwards then it was more expensive, but that wasn't technically part of the prom.

We get a prom at the Village Hotel and the only extra on the bill is if you want a photograph taken there.

Rutskarn
2009-05-17, 12:46 PM
The enlightened among you are about to be jealous of me.

Tonight, I'm going to a Jonathan Coulton concert.

Yep.

Recaiden
2009-05-17, 12:50 PM
* is jealous *
I think tickets to our prom are $50. Which I don't really have. I'm pretty sure that I'll go next year though.

Fredthefighter
2009-05-17, 12:50 PM

Yep.

*Smoulders with rage and envy*
DAMN YOU! DAMN YOU TO HECK! :smalltongue:
Re: Your Brains are mine.

Phase
2009-05-17, 12:56 PM

Yep.

What I don't even why? I don't get any why wasn't it-

Fortitude Error 0340607
]}Error code{[
If((/Other\ JoCo)) Then((Why wasn't it me? WHY!?!?!))

Rutskarn
2009-05-17, 02:02 PM
Huh. Surprising amount of JoColytes here.

chiasaur11
2009-05-17, 02:08 PM
Huh. Surprising amount of JoColytes here.

I blame Portal.

Also: I missed prom as well, but without Tomb of Horrors or any similar activity as an alternative. CS Lewis is right. Dances without the possibility of sex or alcohol are fairly dull.

Sneak
2009-05-17, 02:20 PM
For all of you who are familiar with FML, there's now a hilarious parody type thing.

MLIA (My Life Is Average). (http://new.mylifeisaverage.com/)

A few choice entries:

"Today, I typed in the wrong password for my email. I then retyped it and logged in successfully."

"Today, I tripped. No one saw. MLIA."

"Today I had an exam. Before the exam, they explained what I should if the fire alarm went off. The alarm didn't go off. I finished the exam and left. MLIA"

"Today, I woke up earlier than I wanted to and couldn't get back to sleep. So I ate breakfast. MLIA "

Also: damn you, Rutskarn.

Rutskarn
2009-05-17, 03:34 PM
I considered registering.

Today, I put my laundry in the dryer and went to go use my computer. After 5 minutes, I remembered that I didn't turn the dryer on. I went back and did so. MLIA.

Groundhog
2009-05-17, 04:49 PM
All we need now is MLIG (My Life Is Great).

And while I didn't know who Jonathan Coulton was until you mentioned him, I have just looked him up and am now very jealous.

Sneak
2009-05-17, 05:45 PM
All we need now is MLIG (My Life Is Great).

And while I didn't know who Jonathan Coulton was until you mentioned him, I have just looked him up and am now very jealous.

Actually, there is a My Life Is G(ood) (http://www.mylifeisg.com/). :smalltongue:

(I found it in the about section of the MLIA site.)

Anuan
2009-05-17, 07:30 PM
* is jealous *
I think tickets to our prom are $50. Which I don't really have. I'm pretty sure that I'll go next year though.

We gotta pay like 80 bucks or something for our 'Formal' which is the same thing.:smalleek:
Plus I'm only going because my ex-girlfriend put on the waterworks with her 'bawwwwwwww you should come or I'll be sad bawwww come or you'll regret it for the rest of your life bawwwwww I know your feelings and thought process better than you do bawwwwww.':smallmad:
...:smallfurious:!

...Sure, she was mean about it and so was her mother, but I just can't help but do all I can to stop a cute girl crying :smallfrown:

DraPrime
2009-05-17, 07:59 PM
Ah how wonderful. My mom has evicted me from her home for the second time in the past year. And once again, I'm stuck with my unemployed dad who doesn't have the money to keep me around. Fantastic. :smallmad:

Groundhog
2009-05-17, 09:42 PM
Ah how wonderful. My mom has evicted me from her home for the second time in the past year. And once again, I'm stuck with my unemployed dad who doesn't have the money to keep me around. Fantastic. :smallmad:

Oh man, I'm sorry.:smallfrown: Anything an internet acquaintance can do to help?

Recaiden
2009-05-17, 09:46 PM

I'm sorry. Why would she do that? I wish I could help out somehow.:smallfrown:

dish
2009-05-17, 09:55 PM

How did you persuade her to take you back the last time? (Do you want her to take you back, or are you getting tired of this?)

If you need someone to intercede with her, my suggestion is the same as last time: teacher, uncle/aunt, the parent of a friend, a religious leader of some sort (if your mother is religious), one of her friends...

When I was a teenager, I got thrown out of home several times. (For me it was my father. I think teenagers tend to drive their opposite-sex parent mad from time to time.) It always blew over reasonably quickly, and, once I turned 18 and left for university, it stopped completely. How much more time do you have left?

Coidzor
2009-05-18, 01:16 AM
Our parents knew each other (apparently, I'd never heard of them). Coidzor, that's evil even for you.

Evil? What? Where? HOw? Why? Morality Johnson?

There is nothing more disgusting than parents abandoning their children. My condolences. :smallmad:

CS Lewis is right. Dances without the possibility of sex or alcohol are fairly dull.

CS Lewis said that? When? Where? I am intrigued...

Yep.

I am both jealous and want to give you a congratulatory high-five. I hope you enjoyed yourself.

Phase
2009-05-18, 05:24 AM
I am both jealous and want to give you a congratulatory high-five. I hope you enjoyed yourself.

Hide a poison tack in the high-five. That should cover both.

EDIT: Thanks to a new web-blocker at my school, I am capable of accessing the Playground. Rejoice!

CurlyKitGirl
2009-05-18, 06:42 AM
Koorly's second exam of her final final exams this year happened today. Here she recounts her day:

Woke up at 'six' am. Because of the way my clock hates me, it was actually six thirty. Left the house ten minutes later giving me twenty minutes to get to the bus station. Just over three miles away, the athletic readers will shrug and say: "It's not that far." To the lazy or carefree walker amongst you, you realise: "Ack. For someone who takes her sweet time that's a problem."
But I made it.
Got bus, arrived in college at the unfair time of ten past eight.
Exam paranoia struck at ten to nine when I was reading in the library. Arrived outside exam room a couple minutes later.
Cue heart attack when I realise this[I] is the exam where you may have to write a formal letter.
With this wonderful morsel standing in for [I]yours sincerely:
Dans l'attente de vous lire, je vous prie, monsieur/madame/etc. d'accepter l'expression de mes sentiments distingues
and other, complicated things. None of which I'd revised thanks to me forgetting.
Stupid two hour exam.
Started late. Nine nineteen.
Finished with fifty minutes to go. Was glad there wasn't a formal/informal letter in sight.
Checked; double checked; triple checked; noticed one minor mistake, corrected it.
Day dreamed.
Arrived at E Lang very late. Lesson starts at ten to eleven right? But I arrived 11:27 to get snarked at (whoop de doo).
Then as I was coming to the library just now I tripped, flecked up my right ankle, did something painful to my wrist and knees and am resenting the fact that today all I will have done is an exam, thirty minutes of E Lang (AKA: nothing) and French.

And thus ends the account of Koorly's day up 'til now.
MLIB - My Life Is Boring.

I went to my Leaver's Ball. Cost about £15. Food sucked, we went out because it was taking too long to serve dessert. Because we weren't at the table when it was finally served we didn't get any.
Best part of the Ball was the pre - Ball 'party' I went to with my friends. One glass of champagne (yuck) and an hour and a half cruising around to incredibly loud, awesome music in a limo.

Phase
2009-05-18, 06:45 AM
You life doesn't seem boring, Curly. More exciting than my life, for sure. I sit and do nothing for far too much time out of the day.

CurlyKitGirl
2009-05-18, 06:57 AM
My life is dull.
Got up, caught an early bus, exam, half a lesson, tripped and fell.
Woo.

I do plan on finishing reading yet another medieval mystery novel I picked up today though. Sadly I'm already more than half way through it. :smallfrown:
When Koorly, Goddess of the Written Word manifests herself in this plain properly she will just lock herself away in a succession of very big libraries.
'Course you wouldn't know that Phase, being the Moon and all.

Rawhide
2009-05-18, 07:02 AM
Oh, it might be too soon to mention it, I hope you all remember when this thread starts to reach 50 pages, please do not restart it. The next thread has already been claimed. If the person isn't there to restart it, just let it go a few pages over please.

Dallas-Dakota
2009-05-18, 07:06 AM
Wait, who claimed it?

Not that I´m allowed to make a new thread yet, anyway.

Quincunx
2009-05-18, 07:08 AM
Sheesh, go ahead and pre-claim all the square-number random banters, why dontcha.

Coming up for air after a deep and addictive draft of books I haven't read before that are worth reading, looking at the puddles of daily work not quite done daily, guilt lining the stomach--is it addiction that provokes the guilt or simple alienation in shifting from the book's world to this one?

I dearly miss another pair of hands, or at least another that knows the eventual aim of taking 14 measurements across the back of the female form. I miss having tap water that is safe to drink without boiling; I miss that otherwise delicious dinner. I have tape measures, front measurements, and the ability to subtract. I have an electric kettle and a supply of activated charcoal. Still feeling the lack. Perhaps it is guilt.

Recaiden
2009-05-18, 07:16 AM
Sheesh, go ahead and pre-claim all the square-number random banters, why dontcha.

Don't mind if I do. 144 and 169 are the only ones to worry about for a while though.

Just think how boring being the moon must be for Phase if he's on the same scale.

CurlyKitGirl
2009-05-18, 07:25 AM
In that case:
I'd like to book the next RB that finishes at 14:45 on the second Thursday in August.:smalltongue:

Booking is okay I suppose, but I'd rather take it as what comes up.

Rawhide
2009-05-18, 07:33 AM
Alright, berate me. I'm only trying to organise something special for you all. No good deed goes unpunished I guess.

Phase
2009-05-18, 08:24 AM
Like that time I offered all those children candy from my new candy van. It was seized by the police and was discounted at a police auction. I don't know why they arrested me, I just wanted to spread the sugar.

GoC
2009-05-18, 08:26 AM
Like that time I offered all those children candy from my new candy van. It was seized by the police and was discounted at a police auction. I don't know why they arrested me, I just wanted to spread the sugar.

Aren't you supposedly a child as well?:smallconfused:

Phase
2009-05-18, 08:31 AM
Aren't you supposedly a child as well?:smallconfused:

I'm older than every living thing on the planet put together...

Alternatively, I'm 35 years old, have a badass beard, and spent a good deal of time on Flying, Steampunk Australia.

Or...

Y'know what, I have lots of alternate character histories.

Rutskarn
2009-05-18, 09:40 AM
I'm older than every living thing on the planet put together...

Alternatively, I'm 35 years old, have a badass beard, and spent a good deal of time on Flying, Steampunk Australia.

Or...

Y'know what, I have lots of alternate character histories.

My favorite's probably the toothless 40-year-old candyfloss vendor who has a carnival of horrors in his greenhouse.

unstattedCommoner
2009-05-18, 09:43 AM

That's your problem: if you'd been offering healthy food, that would have been fine. But sugar? That's entirely unacceptable in this day and age. :smalltongue:

Phase
2009-05-18, 10:28 AM
That's your problem: if you'd been offering healthy food, that would have been fine. But sugar? That's entirely unacceptable in this day and age. :smalltongue:

Curse modern media and their hatred of Glucose! Why must this humble compound be so short-changed?

Coidzor
2009-05-18, 11:58 AM
I dearly miss another pair of hands, or at least another that knows the eventual aim of taking 14 measurements across the back of the female form. I miss having tap water that is safe to drink without boiling; I miss that otherwise delicious dinner. I have tape measures, front measurements, and the ability to subtract. I have an electric kettle and a supply of activated charcoal. Still feeling the lack. Perhaps it is guilt.

...Let's see... shoulders.... small of back... bust-line(ish)... above the hips.... back of the waist... Hmm, no, I'm definitely having trouble thinking of fourteen places to take measurements from a person's back.

*backpats* It is ok, Rawhide, we still love your song.

CurlyKitGirl
2009-05-18, 12:10 PM
I'm insane. So is Best Friend.
We bumped into each other on a mutual free neither of us realised we had together, got talking, went to a shop where we instantly spent our time together standing by the ribbon bin . . . detangling ribbons.
This is roughly half an hour by the time we get there.
I mean, yes we talked about loads of things, including making plans for a very geeky sleepover during 'half term' and how easy it is to finger knit.
But we detangled ribbons for half an hour!
Even the customers (three actually) commente on us being weird. In our hearing range at least.

Eh.
Beats being normal.

EDIT:

Furthermore! I have taken exactly one week and hour hour to buy a stamp. I didn't actually buy it, my mum did. She remembered I needed one, went and got it, came back all in twenty minutes.
So why did it take me so long?
I even reminded myself daily to buy one.
It's a good stamp though. It's a portrait of Henry VIII. A Holborn I believe.
It's not strange I can make an educated guess as to the painter of a four hundred and seventy year old portrait! I'm just good at history.

Kaelaroth
2009-05-18, 12:11 PM
Barcode is bad, eh Koorly?[/quotes]

Thufir
2009-05-18, 12:21 PM
I'm insane.
<snip>
Beats being normal.

My idea exactly. :smallbiggrin:

CurlyKitGirl
2009-05-18, 12:30 PM
Barcode is bad, eh Koorly?[/quotes]

I woke up at four thirty today (sunrise . . . :groan:) and barely dozed until I rewoke up.
Forgive me for being a little slow?
*doesn't get*

My idea exactly. :smallbiggrin:

'Tis my motto!
And most people don't seem to get it. :smallsigh:

dish
2009-05-18, 12:42 PM
Oh, it might be too soon to mention it, I hope you all remember when this thread starts to reach 50 pages, please do not restart it. The next thread has already been claimed. If the person isn't there to restart it, just let it go a few pages over please.

I'm positive that this is too early to mention it, and strongly suggest that you remind us again somewhere around page 47 or 48.

... It's a portrait of Henry VIII. A Holborn I believe...

Holbein (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holbein) was the court painter to Henry VIII, so that sounds like a very reasonable educated guess. (I'd disallow it if we were playing Trivial Pursuit, but we're not. So...)

Thufir
2009-05-18, 12:44 PM
I'm quite amused by an advert I just saw on facebook. Advertising some sort of speling/grammar checking software, with the tagline: 'Write english like Shakespeare'.
Because of course Shakespeare's spelling and grammar would still be entirely acceptable now, almost 4 centuries after his death...

randman22222
2009-05-18, 12:45 PM
I'm quite amused by an advert I just saw on facebook. Advertising some sort of speling/grammar checking software, with the tagline: 'Write english like Shakespeare'.
Because of course Shakespeare's spelling and grammar would still be entirely acceptable now, almost 4 centuries after his death...

Shakespearian language course? Hmm, this could be fun. :smalltongue:
*Enlists.*

dish
2009-05-18, 12:49 PM

IIRC*, the records we have of Shakespeare's signature show that he spelt his name four different ways on four different occasions. (And none of the spellings was 'Shakespeare'.)

* I totally deserve to be called out on this after my previous post.

Alteran
2009-05-18, 01:01 PM

My personal favourite? "5 of your friends have failed the IQ test!". Failed an IQ test, right. :smallsigh:

Phaedra
2009-05-18, 01:07 PM
My personal favourite? "5 of your friends have failed the IQ test!". Failed an IQ test, right. :smallsigh:

One application tells me all the time "One of your friends has a birthday!".

All of my friends have birthdays. Screw you, stupid facebook application.

CurlyKitGirl
2009-05-18, 01:13 PM
Holbein (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holbein) was the court painter to Henry VIII, so that sounds like a very reasonable educated guess. (I'd disallow it if we were playing Trivial Pursuit, but we're not. So...)

Allow me to indicate this:

I woke up at four thirty today (sunrise . . . :groan:) and barely dozed until I rewoke up.
Forgive me for being a little slow?

Koorly needs a catnap.

Plus, someone a page or two ago, Ina I b'leive, also said Curli. This is another endorse nickname.
Making around ten or twelve.

dish
2009-05-18, 01:25 PM
Allow me to indicate this: [...]
Koorly needs a catnap.

Girl, you're doing great. During my A-levels I could only managed to gibber at people. When I wasn't crying. Or obsessively reciting the poems of Louis MacNice.

CurlyKitGirl
2009-05-18, 01:47 PM
Girl, you're doing great. During my A-levels I could only managed to gibber at people. When I wasn't crying. Or obsessively reciting the poems of Louis MacNice.

Who?
And I'm doing fine.
Two exams out of ten down. And only two more mornings sessions to go.
One of which happens to be three hours long. :smallannoyed: And everyone knows what that subject is.
I'm rather happy with my lot actually as I've only got to come in for five half days for my exams.
I'm just going to be kah - nackered for them. And footsore. I won't being oing any more gibbering than I do now, and I seldom cry.
I wouldn't mind being able to recite some -

Oh.
Snap. M His mock on Wednesday.
She wants us in at 9:05 and examming (examing?) straight through to 10:50.
That's ten minutes before the lesson officially begins and straight through our fifteen minute break. Second lecture actually starts at 10:50!!

I wouldn't mind being able to recit some Malfi though. It's a very funny play. Especially Bosola's final speech where it run something like this (very paraphrased and colloquial SE)
B: [ . . . ]And now I leave you . . .
Oh! This is a horrible valley of darkness which we must progress though [ . . . ] now I depart for fairer climes
But one more thing before I go! [ . . . ]
So as I take my solemn leave from you know that I, Bosola [something something] . . .
ONE MORE THING!
[ . . . ]
dies
for about two pages.
Plus his misogynistic speech in I, ii (I think that's the right scene) is just fantastic!

Dallas-Dakota
2009-05-18, 02:40 PM
Plus, someone a page or two ago, Ina I b'leive, also said Curli. This is another endorse nickname.
Making around ten or twelve.
Or maybe its just being dutch, as the dutch language much more often uses the i then the y. Even though she says she thinks in english.

Phase
2009-05-18, 05:22 PM
Dammit, it turns out that this site is still blocked at school, they were just messing with a new filter and blocked every single site I surf, save some that don't really matter.

Goodbye, Twitter...

Anuan
2009-05-18, 07:24 PM
Who?
One of which happens to be three hours long. :smallannoyed: And everyone knows what that subject is.

My Aboriginal Studies final Exam is four hours long...and I think it's on the same day as my Extension English exam...which is three hours, I think...

... ;-;

Mr. Mud
2009-05-18, 07:30 PM
I want to run for something-itp this year but I'm not sure what yet... Maybe Big Grin itp? Or worst person itp :smalltongue:? Anyone wanna conspire with advise me? :smallwink:.

Anuan
2009-05-18, 07:40 PM
If I knew American Football positions, I'd suggest something. Fullback ITP?

Felixaar
2009-05-18, 10:22 PM
I'm delighted to be writing again.

DR is back? And she's writing again?

Have all my dreams come true over night?

*looks down at hands*

Hmm, no, still only nine fingers. Oh well. Someday.

Recaiden
2009-05-18, 10:32 PM

Have all my dreams come true over night?

*looks down at hands*

Hmm, no, still only nine fingers. Oh well. Someday.

Where'd the last one go? It's great to have another writer back, even if we are losing some.

Dragonrider
2009-05-18, 11:37 PM

Me like writing.
Me write lots the last couple days.

It's pretty dark right now, though--I can tell that and I haven't done any readthrough at all (I've written like 40,000 words in the last week). When I edit after I finish this first rough draft (it's gonna be short...not much more than 50,000), I need to add a couple chapters that don't involve as much tragedy.

I just wrote a scene that made me smile, though. That's a good sign, right?

Dallas-Dakota
2009-05-18, 11:41 PM
Horror, Dri, write HORROR! JOIN US!

Well maybe.

Yeh, most of what I write in shipping is romance and such. But still, I wrote horror in other places. And my last fic was a sad one.

COM´ AN´ WRITE HORROR!

Hell Puppi
2009-05-18, 11:46 PM
Yeah...all I can seem to write is horror or fantasy.

I once was working on a romantic comedy that ended up being about two necromancers.

banjo1985
2009-05-19, 03:30 AM
I want to write horror, but fantasy seems to be my forte....I can't write romance to save my life. A romantic scene here and there yes, I've written one that I was actually proud of, but as a genre, no, I don't think I have it in me.

Ashtar
2009-05-19, 03:51 AM
Necromancers are romantic comedy gold!

[Act1, Scene 1]
(CURTAIN is raised to meet EPHRAIM working on a CADAVER placed on a bier. CADAVER's ribs are parted and EPHRAIM has his hands in the chest cavity. IRE walks onto the scene, wearing gloves of blood up to her elbows. She peers over the chest cavity as EPHRAIM extracts the CADAVER's heart. EPHRAIM realises her presence and jumps.)
EPHRAIM: Oh, IRE, Oh... (Flustered)
(HEART in EPHRAIM's hand starts beating)

[...]

Coidzor
2009-05-19, 03:55 AM
I just end up writing a poem, whether it's in prose form or not. :smallannoyed:

Mostly because I tend to prefer laying out a scene than... doing anything...haha. Still lifes.

Phase
2009-05-19, 05:30 AM
Okay, experiment time! If I can post an EDIT here, that will mean that the school's web filter only kicks in after a couple hours. For science!

Vizen
2009-05-19, 05:53 AM
I'm more worried about the zombies on your lawn (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0N1_0SUGlDQ), than anything else at the moment.

someonenonotyou
2009-05-19, 09:04 AM
dose any one eles wonder what human tastes like i do no im not going cannableistic i just wonder does any one eles

Sub_Zero
2009-05-19, 09:05 AM
dose any one eles wonder what human tastes like i do no im not going cannableistic i just wonder does any one eles

I think I heard somewhere that it tastes like pork...

Mauve Shirt
2009-05-19, 09:42 AM
Cannibals call human meat "long pork" because of this similar taste.

Dragonrider
2009-05-19, 09:44 AM
A cannibal dude on "Bones" said babies taste like fish.

randman22222
2009-05-19, 10:18 AM
A cannibal dude on "Bones" said babies taste like fish.

Uhh... What is "Bones"? :smallconfused:
And why do they have cannibals on it?

Also. I had my first vocals lesson today. 'Twas cool, and the person after me looks incredibly familiar, and smiled at me. I think I'm supposed to know her. :smalleek:

Dragonrider
2009-05-19, 10:47 AM
Uhh... What is "Bones"? :smallconfused:
And why do they have cannibals on it?

TV show, starring David Boreanaz and Emily Deschanel, wherein Boreanaz is FBI Special Agent Seeley Booth and Deschanel is Dr. Temperance Brennan, a forensic anthropologist. They work together with a bunch of lab geeks to solve crimes.

...yeah, just another one of those shows. Except the majority of the main characters are really nerdy. making it cool.

cycoris
2009-05-19, 11:09 AM
Hello, I think I'm back, provided that my muse doesn't decide to be nice to me and yank me off to write that story with which I'm having a hard time.

Right now I've got a nameless guy walking around and I have no idea what the heck he's doing or why he's there, and he won't tell me. I'm tempted to kill him off, but that would kill my plot in a big way.

Why do my characters hate me? :smallfrown:

randman22222
2009-05-19, 11:12 AM
That statement put strange images in my head of your characters musing over L, TU, & E; one is talking about faith, and says, "The author is dead. The author remains dead. And we have killed her."

...Yeah. Don't mean to be macabre, but weird images like that come into my head with alarming frequency. :smalltongue:

Dragonrider
2009-05-19, 11:30 AM
You have an awesome brain, Randman.

CurlyKitGirl
2009-05-19, 12:25 PM
Bones: Angel and some hyper - aware heroine pathologist look at dead people. Not vampires this time around. Save the day, but without killing too many people.

Bah.
Head hurts. Dehydrated even though I drank a small lake's worth of water. Nearly finished the Aeneid; Aeneas is a twonker who can't do anything without his precious mother helping him.
Odd thing happened in French though.
We'd done the Reading paper in class and were marking it. We were at the translation where (obviously) you translate a passage from English in French.
One of the phrases was:
"future leaders of these countries"
Naturally most people went for:
"aux chefs de l'avenir de ces pays"
BUT! Even they didn't accept "de l'avenir" as correct even though it does mean "of the future" which was the closest thing we could think of to get to the English.
Turns out they wanted:
"aux futurs chefs"/"aux chefs futurs"
WHICH! as we've all been told is an anglicism, so we shouldn't use it.
Even more jarring is this:
"aux futurs leaders".
Upon finiding this out there was a mass "WHAT?!" because it's such a blatant anglicism. People were annoyed.
Americanisms were blamed and people ranted quite amusingly.
Honestly, "chefs" is the correct French way for saying "leaders". Actually, it means "heads (of)", but it's the best word we knew as A Level students and their preferred marked choice.
"Leaders"!
Tch.

[/rant which interested noone]

Dragonrider
2009-05-19, 01:07 PM
Curly: yeah, that's pretty much Bones in a nutshell. It's one of those where I enjoy watching it but I don't feel compelled to see it when it rolls around Thursdays or whatever.

Cycoris, my brother, and I have been watching Buffy and Angel. :smallbiggrin: we watched BtVS seasons I-III and then are partway through I of AtS. So we've done it "in order", if you will. I haven't seen season one of Angel since before I saw season three of Buffy, and it makes a lot more sense now. I LOVE IT.

cycoris
2009-05-19, 01:33 PM
That statement put strange images in my head of your characters musing over L, TU, & E; one is talking about faith, and says, "The author is dead. The author remains dead. And we have killed her."

...Yeah. Don't mean to be macabre, but weird images like that come into my head with alarming frequency. :smalltongue:

*whimpers*

I don't want to be dead!

And you do have an awesome brain.

*huggles Angel*

But I think that my favourite character is Spike.

Dallas-Dakota
2009-05-19, 01:51 PM
Wooo, dutch exam went good!

Fredthefighter
2009-05-19, 01:52 PM
*whimpers*

I don't want to be dead!

And you do have an awesome brain.

*huggles Angel*

But I think that my favourite character is Spike.

Don't worry Cycoris, none of us want you dead either.

I don't have much fondness for Buffy or Angel (I used to be afraid of vampires). But Spike is probably the only character I like out of the whole cast (I have no like or dislike of the other characters and unlike some, I don't find Sarah Michelle Gellar attractive).
Dracula wasn't bad in it either (I saw that one anyway).

EDIT: Congrats DD, my English Literature exam didn't go too bad either. It just felt a bit easier than it should of. English is usually the subject that challenges me the most and this has confused me slightly.

Dallas-Dakota
2009-05-19, 02:03 PM
Freddie, are you having your final exams? Are you graduating high school?(Could be college or uni but Fred it too young for that)

If yes. Then you have exams.

Otherwise you have tentams or end of year tests.

Imposters...

Coplantor
2009-05-19, 02:08 PM
This weekend was montevideo comics, the biggest geek convention over here, and I was called to master in the D&D section :smallbiggrin: Two of those bastards survived, although it was funny to tell them that at the end of thelair, where the princess was captive, there was a shoggoth. Also, I got free tickets to see push, up and G.I. Joe. It was fun.

Dragonrider
2009-05-19, 02:15 PM
Cycoris, you might not want to read this... :smalltongue:

I have 50,037 words!

IF THIS WERE NANOWRIMO, I WOULD HAVE WON IN TWO FREAKIN WEEKS!

(note: at actual WriMo, I won in four days, but that novel was crappy.)

:biggrin:

CurlyKitGirl
2009-05-19, 02:19 PM
Curly: yeah, that's pretty much Bones in a nutshell. It's one of those where I enjoy watching it but I don't feel compelled to see it when it rolls around Thursdays or whatever.

Cycoris, my brother, and I have been watching Buffy and Angel. :smallbiggrin: we watched BtVS seasons I-III and then are partway through I of AtS. So we've done it "in order", if you will. I haven't seen season one of Angel since before I saw season three of Buffy, and it makes a lot more sense now. I LOVE IT.

I don't watch it. Or any TV actually. I just . . . stopped for some reason. Not like I'm missing anything important or interesting anyway.
Buffy and Angel however, are two of my favourite telly shows ever. Supernatural stuff, horror - sometimes bonechilling, lots of comedy and Spike.
He's just a cocky little Cockney vampire with a badass attitude.
And very funny.
Angel as a character I'm not all that keen on. Too angsty.

Pyrian
2009-05-19, 02:22 PM
(note: at actual WriMo, I won in four days, but that novel was crappy.)I trust that this one - having been "lavished" with over three times as much writing time - is better, then? :smallcool:

Dragonrider
2009-05-19, 02:30 PM
I trust that this one - having been "lavished" with over three times as much writing time - is better, then? :smallcool:

That's my hope. :smallamused:

See, I don't TRY to write this fast. But I'll look back over a day and realize I've written six chapters. And then I go, "crap...I didn't mean to do that much XD"

Fredthefighter
2009-05-19, 02:42 PM
Freddie, are you having your final exams? Are you graduating high school?(Could be college or uni but Fred it too young for that)

If yes. Then you have exams.

Otherwise you have tentams or end of year tests.

Imposters...

I'm graduating what would be high school I think (up to 16).
But I'm continuing with 6th form (16 to 18).
Then I'm going to Uni (18+)

Mr. Mud
2009-05-19, 02:48 PM
Usually, you finish high school around here at 18 Freddie, but I s'ppose* that 6th form combined with what you had the last two years equals what we call high school... you are in the UK if I remember correctly, yes :smalltongue:?

*I've never understood why one uses the abbreviation "s'ppose", especially when it's not in dialogue. I mean it's actually harder to type in my opinion... :smallmad::smallbiggrin:.

Dragonrider
2009-05-19, 02:53 PM
*I've never understood why one uses the abbreviation "s'ppose", especially when it's not in dialogue. I mean it's actually harder to type in my opinion... :smallmad::smallbiggrin:.

Because that's how we say it. :smalltongue:

Also: Not to be self-congratulatory, but I did a really good job on the ball in your avatar. :smallbiggrin:

Dallas-Dakota
2009-05-19, 02:54 PM
You foreigners and your educations system are strange...:smalltongue:

Mr. Mud
2009-05-19, 02:57 PM
Because that's how we say it. :smalltongue:

Also: Not to be self-congratulatory, but I did a really good job on the ball in your avatar. :smallbiggrin:

Maybe around there DeeRee, but not around here... In the mid-atlantic we pronounce everything wrong but I've never heard it as s'ppose :smallredface:.

And yeah I agree, my avatar is 100% awesome, and the ball is like 90-95% of that :smallwink:.

Dragonrider
2009-05-19, 02:58 PM
Maybe around there DeeRee, but not around here... In the mid-atlantic we pronounce everything wrong but I've never heard it as s'ppose :smallredface:.

"I spose?"

Huh. :smalltongue:

And: thanks :smallbiggrin:

Coplantor
2009-05-19, 03:01 PM
What? I'm no foreigner... You are a foreigner!

Mr. Mud
2009-05-19, 03:02 PM
Nah... I say it as sup-pose. I don't know. I have such a neutral and bland accent that it actually messes up pronunciation of certain sounds... because its too "Blah". (e.g. I say pronounce 'our' as you probably pronounce 'are'.) :smallbiggrin:.

And: You're Welcome :smallamused:. Best avvie I've had in... actually ever. :smalltongue:

Fredthefighter
2009-05-19, 03:05 PM
Usually, you finish high school around here at 18 Freddie, but I s'ppose* that 6th form combined with what you had the last two years equals what we call high school... you are in the UK if I remember correctly, yes :smalltongue:?

Ah yes, with 6th form added on I would have technically finished "high school". Although I will have finished my compulsory education by late June (exam-wise), the official leavers date is 26th of June, but study leave starts 22nd May (w00t!).

Dragonrider
2009-05-19, 03:05 PM
Nah... I say it as sup-pose. I don't know. I have such a neutral and bland accent that it actually messes up pronunciation of certain sounds... because its too "Blah". (e.g. I say pronounce 'our' as you probably pronounce 'are'.) :smallbiggrin:.

I'm usually pretty careful with my pronunciation. As in, I do say 'our', and also I make sure to pronounce the difference between 'then' and 'than' and 'affect' and 'effect' even if it isn't necessary.

But I also talk fast.

Now, my two youngest brothers have lived in Oregon for practically their whole lives and have a distinct regional accent. As in, the way they say it, you can't tell the difference between "since", "sense", and "scents", because they pronounce i and e identically the same as most people here do (is it a pin or a pen? God only knows)

Dallas-Dakota
2009-05-19, 03:08 PM
Blegh, you guys have it lucky.

School here is compulsory till age 18*.

*with some exceptions, but those don´t apply to me. or are done easily.

Fredthefighter
2009-05-19, 03:21 PM
Blegh, you guys have it lucky.

School here is compulsory till age 18*.

*with some exceptions, but those don´t apply to me. or are done easily.

You know how else I'm lucky?
I've got a nice warm bag of chips (fries) sitting right next to me. :smallbiggrin:

unstattedCommoner
2009-05-19, 03:24 PM
I don't find Sarah Michelle Gellar attractive

I grudgingly concede that you are entitled to err in matters of opinion.

Coplantor
2009-05-19, 03:26 PM

I concur. Also, here education is sort of mandatory. People lately cares less and less about it. A lot of kids drop out when they are 11.

Fredthefighter
2009-05-19, 03:27 PM

I'll admit that she's a very curvy and pretty woman, but I do not find her attractive for some reason. Meh, it's my opinion.

Mr. Mud
2009-05-19, 03:38 PM
Sorry all a important phone call with my girlfriend is preventing me from responding to you all. Gahhhhhh.... :frown::eek::furious:

CurlyKitGirl
2009-05-19, 03:48 PM
Hi.
I'm Koorly, also known as Koorli, Curly, Curli, Korly and Korli. And I have a confession to make.
I'm addicted to Queen. And every day I discover new songs which make me an even bigger addict. I can no longer sleep without listening to Queen as they sing me to sleep. I can't function without humming snatches of their songs under my breath on and off throughout the day. And when I'm not doing that it's because my imagination provides me with full surround sound.
And I now have now less than four plot bunnies related to Queen songs, all set as part of the same series rampaging through my brain most impolitely whilst I'm trying to revise for a stupid - faced mock before first thing tomorrow morning.
So.
What do I do?

And noone suggest kicking the habit!

Coplantor
2009-05-19, 03:50 PM
You cant have enough queen! Never!
Freddy was a genius! He was the best of the best! Never will the sun see a man with his artistic prowess walk the earth again!

Also, I have "I want it all" stuck on my head and I want it to stay there, what can I do?

Sub_Zero
2009-05-19, 03:51 PM

What a coincidence. I'm working my way through Buffy, but I couldn't be bothered with Angel because I wasn't sure how to watch it when they cross over and stuff. I just finished series 4 of Buffy and am currently downloading series 5. I was actually suprised that I remembered a couple of the episodes from series 2 even, considering it was on after I went to bed when it was on tv

Dragonrider
2009-05-19, 03:53 PM
My dear sister, I know just how you feel because I have a similar obsession with a certain other singer from the '70s (who shall go unnamed... <.<)...I have his poster on my wall and his CDs on my shelf (and an old CASSETTE TAPE I found in my mom's box of tapes) and his music in my ears and still it's not enough. :smallsigh:

But I'd never give it up.

Just resign yourself to your fate, Koorli. :smallbiggrin:

Edit: @^: I like Angel better (at least the first two seasons, which is all I've seen). Mostly because Buffy, while she improves, can be a bit of a b-i-t-c-h sometimes. :smalltongue:

But they're both good. Season one of Angel plays straight from when he leaves Sunnydale at the end of Buffy season three.

Groundhog
2009-05-19, 03:58 PM
Hi.
I'm Koorly, also known as Koorli, Curly, Curli, Korly and Korli. And I have a confession to make.
I'm addicted to Queen. And every day I discover new songs which make me an even bigger addict. I can no longer sleep without listening to Queen as they sing me to sleep. I can't function without humming snatches of their songs under my breath on and off throughout the day. And when I'm not doing that it's because my imagination provides me with full surround sound.
And I now have now less than four plot bunnies related to Queen songs, all set as part of the same series rampaging through my brain most impolitely whilst I'm trying to revise for a stupid - faced mock before first thing tomorrow morning.
So.
What do I do?

And noone suggest kicking the habit!

If the Queen songs running through your head are keeping you from doing your work, then that means that listening to other music to temporarily push them out won't help any, am I correct?

If the above is true, try inserting stuff about whatever you're trying to do as the lyrics to whatever song is running through your head. This will either help you concentrate on what you're doing, or it will sound completely ridiculous and chase the song out of your head.

Mr. Mud
2009-05-19, 04:35 PM
Curly, I'm the same way about Queen... and Iron Maiden... I literally could make a play listen of Iron Maiden for 168 hours and STILL not be finished with allllll of their work. Queen is the same way...

And I agree, Freddie was the best... and basically kick-started my love of music. But hey, if you need music to push GOOD music out of your head, I'll link you up with something real fast :smallwink:.

Mr Mercury, you're mustache and mesh shirts were all good in my book :smallcool:.

If I knew American Football positions, I'd suggest something. Fullback ITP?

How'd you know I was a... Creeper! Only kidding.

Good idea though, but who would I run against...? Maybe I could be all around Jock-itp :smallamused:? See look, I got the arrogant part down already!

-- Everyone else... Thoughts?

Dragonrider
2009-05-19, 04:53 PM
Cat only HAS about ten and a half hours of music. :smallsigh: I have it all. It's not enough.

Mr. Mud
2009-05-19, 04:57 PM
Cat only HAS about ten and a half hours of music. :smallsigh: I have it all. It's not enough.

Sad... DeeRee, can you sing every word of every song :smalltongue:.
Seriously though all, I need your thoughts on the Jock-itp thingie :D
I think I know every lyrics on like 7 or 8 of their albums... but is so who is the real winner :smallamused:?

Pyrian
2009-05-19, 04:59 PM
Mostly because Buffy, while she improves, can be a bit of a b-i-t-c-h sometimes. :smalltongue:I think that was, in some sense, supposed to be the point of the character, really. She was originally designed as a composite of the first female character to die in the various horror/slasher movies - except as ass-kicker instead of victim.

Thufir
2009-05-19, 05:03 PM
EDIT: Congrats DD, my English Literature exam didn't go too bad either. It just felt a bit easier than it should of have. English is usually the subject that challenges me the most and this has confused me slightly.

:smallannoyed: There is no such verb as 'to of'

Mostly because Buffy, while she improves, can be a bit of a b-i-t-c-h sometimes. :smalltongue:

A bit-ca?[/Xander]

Dragonrider
2009-05-19, 05:14 PM
Sad... DeeRee, can you sing every word of every song :smalltongue:

*checks*

I don't know the lyrics to his first two albums, because they're not terrific. But I can sing along with (and, often, even if I'm not listening) all of Mona Bone Jakon, Tea For the Tillerman, Teaser and the Firecat, Catch Bull at Four, 90% of Foreigner, all of Buddha and the Chocolate Box and Numbers, most of Izitso, and all of Back to Earth, An Other Cup, and Roadsinger (even though it only came out two weeks ago).

That's ten completely and two semi.

WIN. :smallbiggrin:

They're pretty short albums, though.

Mr. Mud
2009-05-19, 05:34 PM
*checks*

I don't know the lyrics to his first two albums, because they're not terrific. But I can sing along with (and, often, even if I'm not listening) all of Mona Bone Jakon, Tea For the Tillerman, Teaser and the Firecat, Catch Bull at Four, 90% of Foreigner, all of Buddha and the Chocolate Box and Numbers, most of Izitso, and all of Back to Earth, An Other Cup, and Roadsinger (even though it only came out two weeks ago).

That's ten completely and two semi.

WIN. :smallbiggrin:

They're pretty short albums, though.

Agreed... Iron Maiden was pumpin' out albums like crazy in the eighties... I know all the lyrics to (these aren't in chronologically order of release): Number of the Beast, Brave New World, Seventh Son of A Seventh Son, Fear of the Dark, Iron Maiden, Killers, Powerslave, and most of No prayer for the Dying. Just to name a few of course :smallwink:. Cat and Iron Maiden are both killer though... in all senses of the word. (why can't I fit a 'p' in here?)

But hey, you know more of Cat per capita, so yes DeeRee... WIN! :smallbiggrin:.

Iron Maiden's are longggg and overly poetic at times... Steve Harris is a Genuis :smalltongue:.

EDIT: That "hidden", and I use the term loosely, message only took ten minutes :smalltongue:.

EDIT EDIT: Sports-itp I s'ppose would work... maybe Jack***-itp? :smallwink:. #26 itp?

Recaiden
2009-05-19, 05:35 PM
:smallannoyed: There is no such verb as 'to of'

It's a figure of speech!:smallannoyed:

@^: That's great! I don't think I know that many songs in total, much less of his. Actually, I think I only know 4 songs from beginning to end. :smallfrown:

@mrmud: death itp? Sports itp? That One Guy itp?

I'm also almost done with exams, and in the GTKaP thread!:smallbiggrin:

Sneak
2009-05-19, 06:12 PM
Argablarghablargh.

So much work. Last week of school. Why?

If I don't make it, a little memorial ceremony thing would be nice. Just sayin'.

@Recaiden: Actually, it's not a figure of speech...it's "should've," which sounds like "should of," but isn't. It's still not a big deal, though.

Pyrian
2009-05-19, 06:28 PM
It's a figure of speech!:smallannoyed:No; it's actually "should've", which is a perfectly valid contraction of "should have" that can easily be mistaken for "should of" - except that "should of" is nonsensical in that context.

EDIT: Er, what Sneak said. :smallredface:

InaVegt
2009-05-19, 07:48 PM
Or maybe its just being dutch, as the dutch language much more often uses the i then the y. Even though she says she thinks in english.

Curli is much prettier than Curly.

Just because I think in Dutch doesn't mean I have to like all it's idiosyncracies.

Phase
2009-05-19, 09:38 PM
Argablarghablargh.

So much work. Last week of school. Why?

If I don't make it, a little memorial ceremony thing would be nice. Just sayin'.

Ditto, likewise, etc.

I realized about a month ago that, if I succeed in entering a career in research, the next time I'll have more than two months without work will be when I'm dead...

Jacklu
2009-05-19, 10:46 PM
I just finished out my classes last week. Three As and an A-. I am suitably happy.

And now for something entirely different. I feel rather odd in that I haven't really surfed the boards here for quite a while, but I recognize a very large number of people from that big MSN Chats I am in every day.

Dragonrider
2009-05-19, 11:00 PM
:smallsigh: and I still have two and a half more weeks. Or something like that. June Twelfth, I think, is the last day?

But in exactly a month I'm going to the UK with my grandparents. :smallbiggrin: No visits to UK Playgrounders, unfortunately, but I'm really excited in spite of that sad fact. :smallwink:

wadledo
2009-05-19, 11:02 PM
I've only got, what 6 more days of school?:smallbiggrin:
Though I do have a large number of projects due, but there not that difficult.

Dragonrider
2009-05-19, 11:11 PM
I've only got, what 6 more days of school?:smallbiggrin:

<.<
>.>

Shut yer pie hole.

Which reminds me...I thought this was hilarious when I was eleven but now it just seems kind of lame. :smalltongue: (http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/piehole)

randman22222
2009-05-20, 05:33 AM
<.<
>.>

Shut yer pie hole.

Which reminds me...I thought this was hilarious when I was eleven but now it just seems kind of lame. :smalltongue: (http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/piehole)

*His turn to whimper.*
That's gonna give me nightmares tonight...

Anyway, where can I see some of your novels you've written? I'm really curious to see what kind of stuff you write. :smallconfused:

Dumbledore lives
2009-05-20, 05:40 AM
All you silly people with your school ending, we still have another half of a year. You should consider people on both hemispheres, to be respectful.:smalltongue:

Vizen
2009-05-20, 06:09 AM
All you silly people with your school ending, we still have another half of a year. You should consider people on both hemispheres, to be respectful.:smalltongue:

TOTALLY agree with you. That's how I felt all the time. Except now I've finished up year 13 and taking a nice long break from education. Much better.

banjo1985
2009-05-20, 07:55 AM
I'd rather have a ban on mention of finishing school altogether, as it makes me feel old. :smalltongue:

Vizen
2009-05-20, 08:06 AM
To distract you Banjo, you can watch what the cat brings in (http://www.cutebreak.com/being-cute/honey-look-what-the-cat-dragged-in/).

I sure didn't expect it to bring that, for sure.

Dragonrider
2009-05-20, 08:33 AM
Anyway, where can I see some of your novels you've written? I'm really curious to see what kind of stuff you write. :smallconfused:

I haven't done any posting online. If there's one that's any good, I can email it to you, but I have to read it first. :smalltongue: To make sure it doesn't suck as bad as (in my head) I just know it does.

Novel #1 (88k): I wrote it when I was twelve. The plot...isn't.
Novel #2 (98k): Doesn't suck but needs some patching
Novel #3 (97k): Doesn't suck but is set in the same world as #2 and #4 and as a central plot point hinges on something that no longer happened, I don't know what I'm going to do with it
Novel #4 (95k): Needs to be rewritten because the middle section is boring. Because it is a prequel to #2, when events change here they need to be changed in #2. Hence patching.
Novel #5 (??): Isn't done.

:smalltongue:

In other words, I wouldn't mind you reading one in theory, but it might be a while.

Pyrian
2009-05-20, 09:03 AM
DeeRee needs a NaNoEdMo. :smallbiggrin:

Dihan
2009-05-20, 10:13 AM
I just witnessed a murder!

A crow killed another chick on the pavement outside my house. It then proceeded to yank its head off with its beak. Vicious bird! :smallyuk:

Now it's just left it.

Jack Squat
2009-05-20, 10:43 AM
I just witnessed a murder!

A crow killed another chick on the pavement outside my house. It then proceeded to yank its head off with its beak. Vicious bird! :smallyuk:

Now it's just left it.

Sounds like the crow was working for the Goodfeathers.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/39/Goodfeathers.jpg

randman22222
2009-05-20, 10:46 AM
Sounds like the crow was working for the Goodfeathers.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/39/Goodfeathers.jpg

Whut.
This actually looks familiar... :smallconfused:

Dallas-Dakota
2009-05-20, 10:50 AM
Animaniacs.....

The goodfeathers. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRy9rcwtrYY)

Quincunx
2009-05-20, 10:53 AM
NaNoWriMo itself needs a NaNoEdMo! Yes, the point of the month is to take the cork out, but the skill of tasting what one has poured out also needs to be practiced and developed, to say nothing of the skill of continuing to write after the first twist-lipped review.

MrMud: Real Sports Involve Using Your Hands itP?

Jack Squat: Are you calling me a quincunx? Are you saying that I am a geometric configuration, a collection of radii (starts violating Jack Squat's personal space in a very aggressive fashion) here to amuse you?!

. . .

DAT'S IT! (fisticuffs!)

Dragonrider
2009-05-20, 11:28 AM
I think I actually enjoy editing more. :smalltongue:

wadledo
2009-05-20, 11:38 AM
I think I actually enjoy editing more. :smalltongue:

I think that's the case with near everything.
I know I like mocking/critiquing things more than actually producing stuff.

Dragonrider
2009-05-20, 11:43 AM
I think that's the case with near everything.
I know I like mocking/critiquing things more than actually producing stuff.

Well, except it's my own stuff...though, admittedly, self-mockery can be amusing.

The Rose Dragon
2009-05-20, 11:48 AM
Problem with writing creative works anything: I can't do it.

I am commonly referred to as "naturally talented", even by people who have no reason to say so. People say that I'm a good writer, a good guitar player (not a guitarist), a good artist - especially for someone with minimal training. I just can't seem to follow through with it.

The longest "novel" I ever wrote? Never got past ten pages. Playing the guitar? Never tried practicing hard enough. Drawing? Never put much effort into it.

I keep giving up. It gets annoying sometimes.

randman22222
2009-05-20, 01:19 PM
Problem with writing creative works anything: I can't do it.

I am commonly referred to as "naturally talented", even by people who have no reason to say so. People say that I'm a good writer, a good guitar player (not a guitarist), a good artist - especially for someone with minimal training. I just can't seem to follow through with it.

The longest "novel" I ever wrote? Never got past ten pages. Playing the guitar? Never tried practicing hard enough. Drawing? Never put much effort into it.

I keep giving up. It gets annoying sometimes.

Y'know, with me, I get those problems in some areas, but not in others. From what I've learned of how I tend to think, I don't have follow through when I'm trying to do something that I didn't really want to do. Before I realised this, I would be pushed into doing stuff I really wasn't interested in. For instance, my father decided that I needed to learn to do wood carvings. The art form. Like sculpting. I had zero interest. I have zero interest. For some reason, I let myself be talked into getting a set of chisels and a couple sharpening stones for them. That didn't last long, at all.
I guess question what you're really interested in. If you forget about something you try in a few days, you probably aren't that interested. :smalltongue:

Also. I notice you draw a distinction between guitar player and guitarist. Would you mind explaining? That's got my interest piqued...

The Rose Dragon
2009-05-20, 01:25 PM
A guitarist is a musician who plays the guitar frequently, often as an occupation. I'm not a musician, I just play it as a hobby. I don't practice nearly enough to be a guitarist.

It's not that I'm not interested, it's that I can't be bothered to work enough to be better. I have not studied for any class until college, for example, and had a 5.00 GPA on a maximum of 5 for 11 years. I never had to try hard at anything until the age of 15 to be successful at it, so I'm not used to trying.

Thufir
2009-05-20, 01:35 PM
I never had to try hard at anything until the age of 15 to be successful at it, so I'm not used to trying.

Pretty much the same for me. Even more extreme in my chosen subject - maths - I got an A at A-level with minimal effort.
Now I'm at uni, that sort of level of effort still equates to about a 2:1, but I must get a 1st.

With things like writing or composing or whatever, I come up with good ideas, but balk at the point of turning those ideas into a full piece of work. Or sometimes I find I just don't have quite enough ideas, and rather than try to think of what would work, I just sit and wait for inspiration to strike.

And learning things I tend to start, do pretty well, then forget for another few months, by which time I've forgotten everything I'd taught myself the last time.

Bleh.

randman22222
2009-05-20, 01:37 PM
A guitarist is a musician who plays the guitar frequently, often as an occupation. I'm not a musician, I just play it as a hobby. I don't practice nearly enough to be a guitarist.

It's not that I'm not interested, it's that I can't be bothered to work enough to be better. I have not studied for any class until college, for example, and had a 5.00 GPA on a maximum of 5 for 11 years. I never had to try hard at anything until the age of 15 to be successful at it, so I'm not used to trying.

Ah. Yeah. That.
I've had the same problem there for a while. I've managed to mostly fix it, but it's certainly left its mark. I'm not sure what I did to fix it, except that I realised just how stupid it was to think that I could get by not putting in effort. I think I first had to draw a distinction between what success meant in school, and other similar systems, and what success meant in real life. Then some general kicking myself in the butt followed.

It's not easy.

Dragonrider
2009-05-20, 01:49 PM
Ah, effort.

I've found, though, that in some subjects it reaches the point of diminishing returns, where the effort I put in just doesn't come back. Like in chemistry (sorry you science people) I can get an A by doing the work and memorizing the formulas, but actually understanding some aspects requires so much energy...well, I try, but sometimes it only makes actually doing it more difficult.

Maybe the only real reason I love history so much is that it comes naturally to me, but I think it's more likely that Randman is right and it's the other way around. I love it because I find it engaging and therefore it doesn't take as much work because I pay better attention. :smallwink:

TwoBitWriter
2009-05-20, 01:52 PM
Maybe the only real reason I love history so much is that it comes naturally to me, but I think it's more likely that Randman is right and it's the other way around. I love it because I find it engaging and therefore it doesn't take as much work because I pay better attention. :smallwink:

Same here, I have always been a keen history student. I actually read more historical non-fiction books then I do fiction!

How lame is that? :smalltongue:

That's like me wanting to watch the news... :smallredface:

The Rose Dragon
2009-05-20, 01:52 PM

See, that's why we're no longer friends.

That being how you're a social sciences person and I'm a physical sciences person.

CurlyKitGirl
2009-05-20, 02:33 PM
I love my humanities. The Englishes, the languages, histories . . .
Plus I now have great admiration for my very generous M His lecturer.
That before first thing in the morning lecture I was annoyed about? Only four out of fifteen of us showed up, so while we did do the mock we were able to take our time with it and have breaks so, while admittedly we do have half an hour with which to finish our mock off at home, the lecturer also bought us sweets and cans of fizzy drinks out of her own money.
:smallcool:
:smallbiggrin:
Fantabbydoozy.

About my addiction . . . I made it a whole twenty minutes without a Queen song stuck in my head today!
It made my very sad.
And lyrics? Every song from all three of their Greatest Hits albums, all of A Night At The Opera, Sheer Heart Attack and lots of miscellaneous ones from the nets.
All told? One hundred and thirty tracks? More or less? Including live concerts.

Jacklu
2009-05-20, 03:04 PM
I love everything about writing stories. Except the actual writing part. <.< >.> =P I am so contradictory sometimes. My goal is to eventually write novels, but I'm finding that my writing style lends itself to short stories. *cough* *plug* *cough* (http://jacklu.deviantart.com/)

Dr. Bath
2009-05-20, 04:46 PM
I have a talent for being barely competant at many different things with a certain amount of effort. No better after that.

That is my superpower.

Also: UGH. Differential Equations. UUUGGGHHH. Not fun at all. At. All.

Dragonrider
2009-05-20, 04:57 PM
About my addiction . . . I made it a whole twenty minutes without a Queen song stuck in my head today!
It made my very sad.
And lyrics? Every song from all three of their Greatest Hits albums, all of A Night At The Opera, Sheer Heart Attack and lots of miscellaneous ones from the nets.
All told? One hundred and thirty tracks? More or less? Including live concerts.

I have 178 Kitty-Cat tracks. With "Peace Train", I have the original album version, the demo version, the Greatest Hits '70-'75 version, and two live versions. So that's five of the same song (but different in all cases except the original and greatest hits). About a dozen others have both live and album versions, and there are some other Greatest Hits duplicates. But that's still about 150. :smallbiggrin:

I'm still missing one album, though.

Right now? "Can This Be Love (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_6Cr8UM0J0)", a never-released demo off the nets.

Thufir
2009-05-20, 05:02 PM

I beg to differ.
Just a pity that I got a combination of a boring lecturer and a friday 10am after four 9ams meaning I missed about half the lectures and now don't know how to do this question. And the exam's on friday. To the internetmobile!

Dr. Bath
2009-05-20, 05:07 PM
I beg to differ.
Just a pity that I got a combination of a boring lecturer and a friday 10am after four 9ams meaning I missed about half the lectures and now don't know how to do this question. And the exam's on friday. To the internetmobile!

Not Differential Equations in general. Just this particular exam filled with them. It was hard and I did bad. Stupid trigonometric functions! Go away!

@v Trig is fine. But trigonometry and differential equations? The devil's maths.

Recaiden
2009-05-20, 05:15 PM
I have a talent for being barely competant at many different things with a certain amount of effort. No better after that.

That is my superpower.

I feel the same way sometimes. I've got to agree about the trig. No fun, in any way.

The Rose Dragon
2009-05-20, 05:38 PM
This. Just. Weird. Just. Whoa. What. No. Whoa. Weird. This. Whoa. (http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/bt/benzaie/5-second-games/3693-shaq-fu)

Looks pretty harmless, until you realize that the video is from a channel in Turkey, with the commentators speaking on Turkish... in a video created by an American, hosted on a largely American site.

Whoa.

CurlyKitGirl
2009-05-20, 06:02 PM

That is my superpower.

Two of my Crazy Math Friends sat that today. One said it was okay, the other well, she had a worse reaction that you.
So I'm taking it as read that this paper was evil incarnate? Wait. That this paper was evil incarnte's (my kittencat) second - in - command?

I have 178 Kitty-Cat tracks. With "Peace Train", I have the original album version, the demo version, the Greatest Hits '70-'75 version, and two live versions. So that's five of the same song (but different in all cases except the original and greatest hits). About a dozen others have both live and album versions, and there are some other Greatest Hits duplicates. But that's still about 150. :smallbiggrin:

I'm still missing one album, though.

Right now? "Can This Be Love (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_6Cr8UM0J0)", a never-released demo off the nets.

Kitty - Cat.
Hate that name, I do. Muchly.
That's impressive though. I'd have more of Queen's stuff myself if I wasn;t an inveterate bibliophile who also knew about YouTube.
I think there's one song I've got six versions of. I think the live version is my favourite one though.
Good band is it?

Groundhog
2009-05-20, 09:12 PM
I had my Calc exam today. I ran out of time and couldn't complete the last two questions. But now I'm free! Free, free, free!

Coplantor
2009-05-20, 09:14 PM
And tomorrow is my theory of communication test and after that I will be free!...

For a month or so...

Recaiden
2009-05-20, 09:24 PM
I have one more real exam, in Computer Science. Then I'm pretty much free as well.

@V: Sure.

Coplantor
2009-05-20, 09:33 PM
Then we should all hang out toghether this weekend. Shall we meet here at the playground? Maybe we can visit different webpages toghether!

Sneak
2009-05-20, 09:48 PM
Yeah, sounds great! All I have left is an essay, a lab report, a history presentation, some homework, and five exams!

...oh wait.

:smallannoyed:

In any case, check out my Moby **** in-character PSAs for English extra credit. Some spoilers.

1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSAbUIj9mPA)
2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDQWlxxZDns)
3 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEtaXY2o-RQ)

dish
2009-05-20, 09:53 PM
I've only given feedback to half my class, and the final exam is this evening. (Teacher fail.)

Oh well, it's feedback about a different exam - one from an outside exam board - so maybe they can wait?

Dragonrider
2009-05-20, 09:56 PM
Kitty - Cat.
Good band is it?

Cat Stevens. :smalltongue: I thought I'd talked about it enough it would be obvious...sorry. :smallamused:

Recaiden
2009-05-20, 10:09 PM
Cat Stevens. :smalltongue: I thought I'd talked about it enough it would be obvious...sorry. :smallamused:

I think it was a joke. I'd think all 30K of us know by now.

Sneak
2009-05-20, 10:11 PM
Kitty - Cat.
Hate that name, I do. Muchly.
That's impressive though. I'd have more of Queen's stuff myself if I wasn;t an inveterate bibliophile who also knew about YouTube.
I think there's one song I've got six versions of. I think the live version is my favourite one though.
Good band is it?

Doesn't sound like a joke to me, but I dunno.

But yeah, most people should be well aware of your Cat-obsession by now. :smalltongue:

Dragonrider
2009-05-20, 10:18 PM
:smallsigh:

Humiliated?
Amused?
Flattered?

Which should I be? :smalltongue:

Recaiden
2009-05-20, 10:21 PM
All of the above. Flattered that you are known of, humiliated by your obsession, and amused by our odd senses of humor and silly disagreements.

Mr. Mud
2009-05-20, 10:21 PM

Humiliated?
Amused?
Flattered?

D.) Proud :smalltongue:.

Rutskarn
2009-05-20, 10:48 PM

Humiliated?
Amused?
Flattered?

I'm going to go with defenestrated.

It might not strictly apply to this conversation, but I find it's hard to go wrong with that one.

Mr. Mud
2009-05-20, 10:49 PM
I'm going to go with defenestrated.

It might not strictly apply to this conversation, but I find it's hard to go wrong with that one.

Oh trust me, it can go wrong... WAIT IT'S A WORD?!

Ruts wins. Forever.

Rutskarn
2009-05-20, 10:52 PM
It's only the best word ever.

Other best words ever:

Bowdlerized
Yaw
Exsanguinated
Sycophant
Lovecraftia*
Vendure*

*I might have kinda sorta invented this word.

Mr. Mud
2009-05-20, 10:55 PM
Agreed.

Other words that deserve honorable mentions..:

Yerk - To beat with a stick
Globassa - The narrow space between eyebrows and forehead.

:smallbiggrin:.

Hell Puppi
2009-05-20, 10:55 PM
You forgot Rhinoceratoirial.

I also highly recommend Flibberdijibets, Ginormous, and Hobo.

Jacklu
2009-05-20, 11:01 PM
I might throw in Flubbering for consideration. Which is either going to see the movie Flubber several times, or what happens when two sumo wrestlers come together.

Coidzor
2009-05-20, 11:01 PM

*ahem* Yusuf.

And make that 40K. :smallamused: Blood for the Blood God!

And I'm finally out of school, probably making me one of the last people to be out for the summer that does that sort of thing.

...What does Vendure mean again?

Sneak
2009-05-20, 11:07 PM
I'm partial to:

-Flabbergasted
-Giblets
-Pasta
-Aplomb
-Bailiwick
-Bumble
-Bungalow
-Cockalorum
-Clishmaclaver
-Coccyx
-Humerus
-Crepuscule
-Curple
-Cornucopia
-Ennui
-Ineffable
-Fustigate
-Fisticuffs
-Foofaraw
-Funambulism
-Hobbledehoy
-Hebetudinous
-Plebe
-Hubris
-Hullaballoo
-Idiosyncrasy
-Jocularity
-Kerfuffle
-Kismet
-Lackadaisical
-Lethargic
-Lugubrious
-Masticate
-Mulct
-Obfuscate
-Obstreperous
-Soliloquy
-Obloquy
-Panacea
-Perspicacious
-Philander
-Plethora
-Quiddity
-Ribaldry
-Rodomontade
-Scalawag
-Schadenfreude
-Blunderbuss
-Scree
-Scuppernong
-Scurrilous
-Shibboleth
-Syzygy
-Tarradiddle
-Tatterdemalion
-Ragamuffin
-Ululate
-Virago
-Zaftig
-Fracas

Myself.
:smalltongue:

Dragonrider
2009-05-20, 11:11 PM
*ahem* Yusuf.

I mentioned this in the Crush thread: I like Yusuf, too, and I have both his pop albums, but what I really love is Cat Stevens. The 25-year-old. Not the 60-year-old Yusuf, awesome though he may be. :smalltongue:

dish
2009-05-20, 11:26 PM
...What does Vendure mean again?

It doesn't. Well, maybe in Rutskarn's world it does, but in ours ... not so much.

Reminds me of "verdant". That's a word I like.

Rutskarn
2009-05-20, 11:30 PM
"Vendure" is the process of vending.

Jacklu
2009-05-20, 11:34 PM
Hey, maybe you guys can help me with a problem. I am trying to figure out how big a flying city would have to be to house a population of around 10,000 people. I am only looking for rough estimates, but I suck at contextualizing sizes and distances.

dish
2009-05-20, 11:37 PM
Hey, maybe you guys can help me with a problem. I am trying to figure out how big a flying city would have to be to house a population of around 10,000 people. I am only looking for rough estimates, but I suck at contextualizing sizes and distances.

Can they import foodstuffs, or does the city have to include agricultural land?

Jacklu
2009-05-20, 11:48 PM
I haven't decided yet the exact shape, but I am assuming roughly squarish for ease of math. The main population centers would be along the outside of the city, with a bowl that drops into the center of it allowing for a tiered set up, with the center serving as an open ground where large gardens and grazing zones for livestock would be. Though the city does rely primarily on imports for foodstuffs.

Calmness
2009-05-21, 01:58 AM
Can't sleep. Shouldn't have drunk so much coffee. :smallmad:

randman22222
2009-05-21, 02:25 AM
Can't sleep. Shouldn't have drunk so much coffee. :smallmad:

That's one reason I don't drink the stuff. :smallsmile:
I can't stand the feeling of lying in a bed, waiting for sleep that won't ever come.

Calmness
2009-05-21, 02:32 AM
Bed? Nah, i'll just surf the internet for a bit. I kinda needed the extra energy anyway. And it feels nice, getting your pulse so high.

Thufir
2009-05-21, 07:03 AM
In any discussion of awesome words, I am obliged to link to this facebook group (http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/group.php?gid=2244414157).

randman22222
2009-05-21, 07:15 AM
In any discussion of awesome words, I am obliged to link to this facebook group (http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/group.php?gid=2244414157).

...I bookmarked that page. Funny thing is, I already use many of these words and phrases. :smalltongue:

Coplantor
2009-05-21, 07:19 AM
The best word you anglo saxons speakers have is, by far, "Indeed". I just love the way it sounds and how it makes me feel... like a real boy... and a lady.

Mr. Mud
2009-05-21, 07:25 AM
...I bookmarked that page. Funny thing is, I already use many of these words and phrases. :smalltongue:

I use ones like 'twas' 'tis and partake... and a couple other ones scattered about on that list... does that mean I have a problem :smalleek::smalltongue:.

randman22222
2009-05-21, 07:26 AM
I use ones like 'twas' 'tis and partake... and a couple other ones scattered about on that list... does that mean I have a problem :smalleek::smalltongue:.

NO. It does NOT mean you have a problem. It means you're roughly 26 gigacools.

Mr. Mud
2009-05-21, 07:29 AM
NO. It does NOT mean you have a problem. It means you're roughly 26 gigacools.

No I think it's 126 gigacools, I just recounted... :smalltongue:.
(knowing you rand, I was half expecting "gigacools" to be a word...)

randman22222
2009-05-21, 07:30 AM
No I think it's 126 gigacools, I just recounted... :smalltongue:.
(knowing you rand, I was half expecting "gigacools" to be a word...)

Of course it's a word. It's the SI unit for coolness. :smalltongue:

Also, this is a map of countries that haven't adopted the metric system. It makes me laugh. (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/ec/Non-Metric_User.svg)

Mr. Mud
2009-05-21, 07:38 AM
Represent!

Heh, no I actually don't care for the metric system that much... especially when I was younger. Totally hated it, because the conversion formulas were SO monotonous. :smalltongue:.

Oh rand rand, here's another attempt of me trying to cure your Dailymotion disability... Try: Grooveshark. (http://listen.grooveshark.com/) It's 100% free, and better yet 100% legal :smallamused:. You can even make your own playlists... Search by genre, artist, or songs in the top 50, and I think there is a "Listening Now" section.

Coplantor
2009-05-21, 07:43 AM
How can you half expect something? Also, metric system FTW!

Mr. Mud
2009-05-21, 08:05 AM
Random Banter right? Time for random list then:

Best Foods you can buy at 7-11 or any other Mini-Mart:

Arizona Iced Tea Lemon!
Reeses Pieces
Pay Day Chocolate version
98oz. Soda for $1.78 (which has refills for $0.89)
Sour Patch Kids
Rip it energy drink (it's like red bull ubt cheaper, better and more healithy if you can believe that!)
Late Night Dortios - Taco
Arizona Iced Tea - Arnold Palmer
Arizona Iced Tea - Raspberry
Arizona Iced Tea - Green Tea

Sorry for this random outburst all; I need something to satiate my undying sweet tooth when I'm dieting.

randman22222
2009-05-21, 08:09 AM
Represent!

Heh, no I actually don't care for the metric system that much... especially when I was younger. Totally hated it, because the conversion formulas were SO monotonous. :smalltongue:.

Oh rand rand, here's another attempt of me trying to cure your Dailymotion disability... Try: Grooveshark. (http://listen.grooveshark.com/) It's 100% free, and better yet 100% legal :smallamused:. You can even make your own playlists... Search by genre, artist, or songs in the top 50, and I think there is a "Listening Now" section.

:smalleek:
Thank you! This Grooveshark thing is awesome!
Found "Tomorrow We'll See" by Sting; I've been looking for it for quite a while. :smallbiggrin:

Mr. Mud
2009-05-21, 08:14 AM
:smalleek:
Thank you! This Grooveshark thing is awesome!
Found "Tomorrow We'll See" by Sting; I've been looking for it for quite a while. :smallbiggrin:

YES! I can finally sleep knowing Randy has full access to his jams now! :smallbiggrin:.

Oh and I know, I'm awesome... It's not like this is going to help me win something in the up coming elections by getting publicity in your sig or anything like that. Nope. Purely for your jazz. :smallwink::smallbiggrin:. Just kidding dude... I have an account on Grooveshark, but I never really go on it and I'm not entirely sure what it does... I think you can upload music, save favorite songs, and all the like. But I'm not sure... If you make an account, tell me what the benefits are because I haven't used mine in ages :smalltongue:.

randman22222
2009-05-21, 08:17 AM
YES! I can finally sleep knowing Randy has full access to his jams now! :smallbiggrin:.

Oh and I know, I'm awesome... It's not like this is going to help me win something in the up coming elections by getting publicity in your sig or anything like that. Nope. Purely for your jazz. :smallwink::smallbiggrin:. Just kidding dude... I have an account on Grooveshark, but I never really go on it and I'm not entirely sure what it does... I think you can upload music, save favorite songs, and all the like. But I'm not sure... If you make an account, tell me what the benefits are because I haven't used mine in ages :smalltongue:.

Don't plan on making an account at the moment; now what's this election you speak of?

Mr. Mud
2009-05-21, 08:24 AM
Don't plan on making an account at the moment; now what's this election you speak of?

Sneak is Tounge-itp... Some people are the different seasons... I wanna run for something -itp! And you're gonna be my wing man... :smalltongue:.

Maybe:
Separated at birth-itp? And then we have some cool logo for it...
Or:
We're not jerks at heart -itp, again with a cool logo :smalltongue:.

Thufir
2009-05-21, 09:23 AM
If you want to run in one of the itP contests, first you have to think of a contest theme with a category in it that would suit you, and then persuade Lord Herman that it should be the next contest. And then other people will run against you. Far from easy.

ION: I have been assigned my MMath project title for next year: 'Energy generation by black holes'. :smallcool:

Rutskarn
2009-05-21, 12:23 PM
I'm holding out for "Psychotic Ficblogger in the Playground".

Actually, I could probably snare "blogger".