PDA

View Full Version : A good alternative [D&D 3.5]

SillyBee
2009-05-07, 03:23 PM
Is there an easily integrated alternative out in the ether for using XP as a cost for item creation?

I know that the class from Eberron, Artificer is able to get around it, but what about for a wizard or other caster?

Any heads up would be great!

Thanks,
B

Eldariel
2009-05-07, 03:32 PM
Unearthed Arcana offers craft points for each character, much like Artificer's craft reserve (of course, Artificer should have more under these rules).

Olo Demonsbane
2009-05-07, 04:41 PM
Liquid Pain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EDIT: Damn, it won't let you all caps anything :(

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-05-07, 11:24 PM
Worth mentioning is that ECS stated that people could work together on magic item creation, with one providing XP and the other actually making it. Combining that with the 1 XP=5 GP rule of thumb, you could pay large numbers of NPCs to contribute to your crafting. Not the best solution, but it works.

monty
2009-05-07, 11:47 PM
Sacrifices, from BoVD. With a sufficiently high Knowledge check, you could conceivably make anything for free.

Lamech
2009-05-08, 12:04 AM
Isn't their a distill joy spell in the BoED that does the same thing as liqued pain? (Except the person has to be happy, and you can get unlimited doses.) Just hook them up to a machine of magically induced happiness and get infinite cosmic power free xp. I think something about "sexual ectasy" was mentioned as well; I'm sure you can devise some method of creating joy.

If your using liqued pain binding torturing and killing outsiders works, you can get liqued pain and possibly souls; just make sure divinations can't find you. Or take outsiders who won't be missed. Salads perhaps?

Kaiyanwang
2009-05-08, 12:37 AM
Remember that DMG suggest as optional rule the use of rare reagents as XP component. The same sidebar suggest the gold value of such reagents, so you can manage it well with treasure.

amanamana
2009-05-08, 12:48 AM
(...)Or take outsiders who won't be missed. Salads perhaps?

I think the vegans will miss them!:smalltongue:

Lamech
2009-05-08, 12:58 AM
I'm sorry I'm bad enough at spelling real words. Imaginary ones are down right impossible for me to get.:smalltongue:

Rhiannon87
2009-05-08, 10:45 AM
Remember that DMG suggest as optional rule the use of rare reagents as XP component. The same sidebar suggest the gold value of such reagents, so you can manage it well with treasure.

Would you happen to know what page this is on? I'm in the planning stages of a character who will be doing lots of crafting, and I wouldn't mind having an alternative to XP cost to present to my DM. And I just spent a fair amount of time flipping through my DMG, with no luck.