PDA

View Full Version : The Underworld/Creation [Acro-related Plot]

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

AmberVael
2009-05-08, 01:30 AM
This is not, perhaps, the underworld most people will go to or even know of. No, this is the Underworld for a very specific realm, meaning it has some very specific differences from a normal after-life realm. Also that most people won't have a connection to it- unless they were born in Creation, which seems doubtful for the large majority of those alive across the universes.

Anyways, Crimson, Nettle, Irene, and a significant number of zombies appear in a deserted black field.

Reinholdt
2009-05-08, 02:01 AM
Irene looks around, but is careful to only move her eyes. She doesn't say anything. Magic to her is one of those tricky things to be very careful with. At least after messing with Vorka's book it is, even if there were benefits. So she follows Nettle's instructions to the letter and waits for her to give the all clear.

AmberVael
2009-05-08, 08:02 AM
"You may move and speak."
Says Nettle idly as she waves at the zombies, who move to make a loose defensive formation about the group.
"Unfortunately, the area we had to use to switch between analogous positions between your realm and ours is a rather tricky one. We're rather deep in the territory of the First and Forsaken Lion, who is not likely to be fond of our presence. We attempted to make a peaceful negotiation with him, but it is likely he will attempt to take control of our little expedition."
Nettle's voice is matter of fact.
"That would likely mean death for all of us."

Reinholdt
2009-05-08, 08:50 AM
"The forsaken Lion?" Irene looks around. Well all these people had funny names of unusual length and based off of objects and stuff.

"So they have territories in the Underworld? I thought it would all be controlled by one person." An even more morbid thought hits her. "Wait, we're already in the Underworld, right? So what would happen to us if we died?" Irene thought Crimson was sent on the basis killing people brought them to the Underworld. Was there some sort of... Underworld squared or something?

AmberVael
2009-05-08, 09:18 AM
"You would become a ghost and you would likely be taken to the master of the First and Forsaken Lion to be converted to their way of thinking. Possibly you'd become a citizen or slave in their society over time."
Nettle glances up at her.
"Of course, you're a rare person who has entered the Underworld alive. They might want to capture you and experiment on you instead of killing you."
Doesn't sound like a much better option.

"Now, luckily we're rather close to the shore of the Sea of Shadows, so if we can get there I can conjure a ship for us, and we'll be away from the Lion as quick as we can. So, forwards!"
Nettle begins lead them north.

Reinholdt
2009-05-08, 09:32 AM
Experiment? Irene bites her lip and looks at Crimson nervously. Well best get moving then...

"Alright." She starts following Nettle, keeping close to Crimson and holding her hand if she can. "Why do they call it the Sea of Shadows?"

AmberVael
2009-05-08, 09:42 AM
"Because it wasn't bright enough to be the Sea of Shininess."
Says Nettle sarcastically.

Crimson can't help but give a little hushed and nervous giggle at that, holding tightly to Irene's hand.

Reinholdt
2009-05-08, 09:51 AM
Right. Not shiny. Of course.

Irene frowns and decides maybe following in silence is a better idea for now.

AmberVael
2009-05-08, 09:56 AM
Nettle pushes them to move at a quick pace, and seems to manage a clip that might be rather difficult for someone without supernatural endurance and speed to keep up with- not impossible- it is just a march, but it's going to be exhausting.

Slowly they make their way across the field, up higher and higher to a more rocky area. It might be about this time that they can hear the eerie sound of rushing waves striking against cliffs...

Reinholdt
2009-05-08, 10:03 AM
Irene gets to be gasping at this point. "I... I don't suppose..." *gasp* "We could take a break here?" *wheeze*

AmberVael
2009-05-08, 10:15 AM
Nettle glances back at Irene.
"We'll board a ship soon enough. You'll have your break."

The sound of the rushing wind seems to reach them, and Nettle glances behind her, motioning to her zombies who instantly take up defensive positions against the direction of the sound. Crimson backs up a bit, clutching Irene's hand and trying to position the woman behind her.

Shadows seem to flit across the landscape, slowly gathering into a large mass that forms into a veritable army (at least in comparison to their small group-) of about a hundred people all in matching arms and armor. They've separated into two smaller squads, and at their head is a tall, slender man with two swords sheathed at his right hip- a half cloak descends from behind his right shoulder, and his white hair is cut at a moderate length that plays neatly about his face.

"And what," he asks politely, as if he were continuing a conversation, "would the servants of the Dowager be doing so far from their domain?"

Reinholdt
2009-05-08, 06:03 PM
Pretty nymph Irene stands behind Crimson, squeezing her hand tightly. Odd how the roles have changed. But one must love the irony.

Speaking up now could be disastrous, even if not speaking is boring. Alas, Irene does have a glimpse of intelligence within her, so says nothing. Yet.

AmberVael
2009-05-08, 06:25 PM
"That is none of your concern."
Says Nettle, looking at the man icily.
"I'll give you a chance to leave now. You're quite outmatched."

The man smiles down at Nettle condescendingly.
"I think you're too overconfident."

"Says the man willing to challenge two Exalted and undead crafted under the Dowager's tutelage with naught but a handful of little toy soldiers. Go crawl back to the Lion and remember why you're holed up in this hellhole- because you interfered with the Dowager before. Do you really think it wise to try that again?"

Their adversary grows colder and obviously insulted and angry.
"Someone needs to put you in your place, girl."

"Someone needs to stop talking and actually back up his words."
Nettle says, smirking at him.

It's a strange scene, to be sure. Two girls, a handful of zombies surrounding them, and a nymph, against an obvious warrior and his squad of soldiers... and Nettle thinks the former will win. Either something about this situation is drastically different from how it appears, or Nettle is overly bold.

Reinholdt
2009-05-08, 06:33 PM
Irene fidgets and rubs her arm with her free hand. "Ummm... perhaps it's a bad idea to insult the man with an army behind him? Maybe? Just... saying is all..."
>>
<<
... Stupid mirrored glasses even covered up my shifty eyes! :smallmad:

AmberVael
2009-05-08, 06:49 PM
"Listen to her, she speaks some sense."
Says the man, grinning over at Irene. While he stares at her, his gaze lingering a little, Nettle raises a hand and flaps it once in the direction of his army.

The dozen zombies that were surrounding her leap out towards the soldiers, half of them taking the lead, pausing and drawing in breath, then breathing out strange billows of energy that roar over the army, taking down many of them in the first attack. The other half of the zombies move forwards, strange, elemental weaponry held ready in their hands as they defend their weaponless brethren.

Swearing as he sees what has just occurred, the man leading the zombies swipes out his swords in a glittering instant, sweeping a swift arc of steel towards Nettle, who catches one blow on the arm and dodges the second. The sword that hit her bites into flesh a little ways, but no blood flows from the wound, and the girl seems relatively unharmed.

Reinholdt
2009-05-08, 07:00 PM
Now would be the perfect time to escape. Run back, see if the portal is still there and try to get away. Except back there was far away and whoever wins here will be able to catch up too easily. So that plan is out.

Irene supposes she could try assisting the man and his army somehow, seeing as how she doesn't much like Crimson's mother. But he works for the Forsaken Lion, and if Nettle is to be believed from earlier, then going with him may be worse than meeting the mother. With experiments of nastiness. Presuming the mother doesn't do the same thing...

Irene figures the best thing to do then is find cover. She'll try to lead Crimson behind some rocks and watch the battle unfold from there.

Hmm... she gets a thought. "Don't look at me directly Crimson." Irene starts tilting her head in odd angles. If she could figure out how to get that blinding beauty to turn on again...

AmberVael
2009-05-08, 07:07 PM
Crimson follows Irene, biting her lip, but looks over the battle, her eyes focusing on the man and Nettle in particular.

The army is attempting to gather into a defensive formation, but the zombies have pressed the attack and are slaughtering them mercilessly, wielding strange, obviously supernatural weapons that they seem to summon from nowhere. After a little longer, the army rallies and manages to get a shield wall up, at which point they start driving the zombies back towards the cliffs. Still, well over half of their number are now dead, the zombies barely seem scratched...

Nettle is having difficulty fighting the man attacking her- she seems clumsy in combat, and as she's a little girl, perhaps this isn't unexpected. However, she seems to be using magic to some decent effect on him, though she's being rather obviously beaten.

"I... have to go help Nettle. Just stay here, Irene!"
Crimson says, pulling away from Irene and running towards Nettle.

Reinholdt
2009-05-08, 09:18 PM
"Wait! It's too dangerous! You don't even have a weapon!" She tries rushing after Crimson to stop her.

At least, Irene doesn't think Crimson has a weapon anyways.

AmberVael
2009-05-08, 09:56 PM
The zombies are now fighting more defensively, keeping their ground mostly as one of them steps back and seems to focus. With a nod, two others in front of it step aside, and it gives a terrifying roar that shatters the ground and the armor right off of the soldiers, breaking bones and felling them. The gap is quickly closed by the roaring zombie, and it ends the sound and raises the giant stone hammer it wields defensively.

Seeing Nettle's lack of skill, and her attempts at sorcery, the man changes up his style and begins going for a constant stream of quick, light attacks, disrupting her spellcasting and forcing her onto the defensive. Nettle leaps backwards, disengaging.
"Crimson!"
She cries desperately.

Crimson looks to Irene.
"I can do it- I have to. I have to help my sister."
She tries to pull away.

Reinholdt
2009-05-08, 10:01 PM
Dang it.
Irene closes her eyes and lets Crimson go.

The girl cares about her sister. She's not going to try and hold Crimson back and have Nettle die before Crimson's eyes when she may have been able to do something. That would haunt her forever. "Be careful."

AmberVael
2009-05-08, 10:24 PM
The zombies meanwhile have broken out into hand to hand combat with the soldiers- it's about three to one now, each zombie fighting three at once. And winning.

Nettle's antagonist advances on her, but Crimson rushes in with frightening speed, and hearing Nettle's cry for help and Crimson's whirring charge, he turns on her and slashes out with his weapon violently. With a flick of her arm, Crimson reaches out to block it much as Nettle had done, but somehow manages to pull her arm away unscathed as she spins into a kick towards his face, which he takes with a grunt.

It doesn't seem to phase him at all, though Crimson did manage to hit him, unlike Nettle.

"You little brat."
He swipes his sword at her, and as she dodges, lunges in with his other blade in a feint. For a moment it seems Crimson would get impaled, but like a shadow does before a flame, she seem to writhe and flicker out of the way, turning and spinning to one side in an impossible manner, twisting her arms in a simultaneous motion that catches his sword arm, snaps the elbow up and his hand down. The sword in that hand sword drops from his grasp, and Crimson continues with her movement, her hand sliding along the blade gently while her other reaches out to grab the hilt, then jamming inwards towards his chest.

The man barely avoids getting skewered on his own sword, instead twisting to have it stab a deep wound into his side.

Reinholdt
2009-05-08, 10:32 PM
Oooookkkaaaaayyy....
Crimson could probably take care of herself. :smalleek:
Much more than Irene could.
That little sister image isn't holding up too well anymore.

Still... maybe she could help somehow...
If only...
Irene tilts her head and finally gets her blinding beauty to turn on. Yay! Some minor control over this stuff. Finally.

Anyways, there's still the matter of that fort save or perma-blind for anyone that looks at her. Which might be no one considering all the fighting going on.

AmberVael
2009-05-08, 10:58 PM
One of the zombies glances Irene's way, but shakes its head as if to clear it, then turns back to fighting. A couple of the soldiers go blind.

The three other fighters miss her entirely.

Now armed, Crimson's attacks are proving to be quite effective indeed. She's constantly switching her style of attack, swapping the blade from one hand to another, holding the blade pointed down and up interchangeably. Her opponent has been put on the defensive, and it becomes increasingly apparent that he is unused to fighting with but a single weapon.

Eventually, out of desperation, he lunges at her again, and Crimson bends over backwards to avoid the attack, letting herself slide a little bit due to her shifted weight and balance. Somehow she twists her feet and motion to send her flying beneath him, utilizing her small size to slip underneath his legs, hamstringing him as she sweeps past.

The man drops to the ground, and Crimson snatches up his sword and their sheathes, sheathing them and placing them at her side naturally.

The zombies, along with help from Irene's blinding aura, having finished off the soldiers.

Reinholdt
2009-05-08, 11:03 PM
Irene turns it off. Yay! It's like a light switch!
*on*
*off*
*on*
*off*
*on*
*off*
Ok, I'll stop now.

"... was all this really necessary?" She hasn't really fully grasped the politics behind the situation yet.

AmberVael
2009-05-08, 11:11 PM
"He wanted to capture us and take us to his master. So yes, it was."
Nettle says, glaring down at him.
"He would have killed Crimson and I to capture our Exaltations."

The man rolls on the ground, bleeding, and Crimson winces and whacks him on the head to stop the grotesque movement, rendering him unconscious.

"Now lets go before someone else shows up. This way."
Nettle gestures for them to follow and leads them down towards the coast.

Reinholdt
2009-05-08, 11:17 PM
Irene turns and follows, eager to get away from the battle scene anyways. It was all gory and dirty and ewww. "Your Exaltations? What's that?"

AmberVael
2009-05-08, 11:18 PM
"Oh- it's the Spark I told you about."
Crimson clarifies for Irene as they pause on the edge of the beach.

Nettle focuses, her zombies gathering around her as she works some quiet magic.

Reinholdt
2009-05-08, 11:21 PM
Oh. That's right. The thing Irene wanted to give back, but weren't sure if that was possible.

"I see. It can be stolen?"

AmberVael
2009-05-08, 11:36 PM
Nettle doesn't answer, focusing on her magic.

Crimson bites her lip, then looks up at Irene and nods.
"Using certain magic... but you have to kill the person who possesses it as well."

Reinholdt
2009-05-08, 11:42 PM
"I see." She falls into thought about this. If that's the only way to steal a spark or exaltation, the chances of removing it safely another way seem slim to none.

AmberVael
2009-05-08, 11:46 PM
Nettle finishes her magic, raising her arms as she summons a huge, ghostly ship out of the waters in front of them. It raises up from beneath the waves in eerie silence, and a plank descends from the deck to them.
"We're in for a long journey. Get on- and try not to touch the water."

Reinholdt
2009-05-08, 11:49 PM
Irene moves to board the ship carefully, holding on to Scarlet's hand. "I don't suppose you're going to tell me why? The water actually acid or something?"

AmberVael
2009-05-08, 11:58 PM
"It sometimes has ill effects on the living, including death or amnesia."
Says Nettle calmly.

Crimson holds Irene's hand tightly and tries to take her to one of the cabins.

Reinholdt
2009-05-09, 12:00 AM
Irene smirks a little. Death wasn't the best option, but she wasn't really afraid of catching amnesia.

What with already missing the first 26 years of her memories.

Irene lets herself be led by Crimson.

AmberVael
2009-05-09, 12:05 AM
The cabins are sparsely furnished, and so Crimson sits down on the bed, looking up at Irene with wide, uncertain eyes.
"I'm sorry, I know you probably wish I hadn't brought you here now..."

Reinholdt
2009-05-09, 12:10 AM
Irene sits down on the bed as well and tries to hug Scarlet. "I came willingly remember? You didn't drag me here or anything."

She leans back a bit. "I'll admit, I didn't know your home was so..." She gesticulates with her hand, looking for the right word. "inhospitable? Have you dealt with things like this often?" Fighting off armies.

AmberVael
2009-05-09, 12:12 AM
Crimson gives a little nod, hugging Irene back.
"It's only really so harsh for people who are still alive..."

Reinholdt
2009-05-09, 12:15 AM
"I see." She sighed and lay back downwards on the bed. "Then I may have made a mess of things, huh? Wait... if Nettle knew this, why'd she let me come? Surely this would bring a lot of unnecessary trouble on her?"

AmberVael
2009-05-09, 12:17 AM
Crimson glances to one side.
"Not really... she won't change things for you. If you die, then she'll just take you along as a ghost."

Reinholdt
2009-05-09, 12:24 AM
"One of those, doesn't matter to me, things?" Grand.

"So Scarlet. When you said you didn't know how to get home or where you were, you meant you didn't know the spell to get back, right?"

AmberVael
2009-05-09, 12:27 AM
Crimson shakes her head.
"I had no idea where I was at all. I knew I wasn't in Creation, which means that our traveling magic is normally useless. I don't know how Nettle managed it..."

Reinholdt
2009-05-09, 12:30 AM
"Ah." She tilts her head. "You two seem so young. Yet easily more advanced fighters and magic users than... most really. That's part of the spark right?"

"Oh. And how many more siblings do you have? Are they all that young?"

AmberVael
2009-05-09, 12:40 AM
"The power of Exaltation enhances your potential- the man I fought was also Exalted, but he gained it at a far later age than I did. Mother chooses her Exalted earlier than the other Deathlords... so while we're young, we're also more experienced than many others."
Crimson bites her lip.
"I'm one of seven, and the second oldest."

Reinholdt
2009-05-09, 12:44 AM
"Huh. So with Exalted age is like reverse experience or something? Interesting..."

"Speaking of your mother, what do you plan to do when you see her?"

AmberVael
2009-05-09, 12:47 AM
Crimson shakes her head.
"No, it just means that we get started training earlier than other Exalted candidates. I've been training for eight years- while the man I fought had only be Exalted for about three. So, despite him being much older than me, I was more experienced since I'd been Exalted for a longer time."
She bites her lip at the second question.
"I don't know."

Reinholdt
2009-05-09, 12:50 AM
Irene nods in understanding. "Well, if Nettle is to be believed, you have time to figure it out."

"As do I." She thinks to herself. What was she thinking? She was going to march up to some queen of the underworld and demand Crimson be let free and left alone? Yeah... THAT would go over REAL well...

AmberVael
2009-05-09, 12:51 AM
Crimson nods and leans into Irene, taking comfort in her presence.

Reinholdt
2009-05-09, 12:57 AM
Irene leaned back, needing the comfort just as bad, throwing an arm around Crimson's shoulders for the one arm hug. It just sank in how screwed she really was. And once things went badly for her, Crimson would probably end up working for them the rest of her days. Irene was pretty much as frightened as she had been for as long as she could remember. Which wasn't much.

Thankfully she still had one or two tricks up her sleeve to give her hope to cling to.

That and Scarlet. "Now we just wait?"

AmberVael
2009-05-09, 12:59 AM
Crimson nods.
"Nettle will probably take us to Stygia, were we'll be able to cross into mother's realm."

Reinholdt
2009-05-09, 01:02 AM
"Stygia, huh? What's that?" Irene did not study her underworld geography in fifth grade like she was supposed to!

AmberVael
2009-05-09, 01:04 AM
"It's the city in the center of the Underworld- all of the Deathlords have a stake there. Mother will have some way for us to move from there to her realm quickly, probably an artifact of some kind."

Reinholdt
2009-05-09, 01:07 AM
"A neutral city. I see."

"What about your father? Does he share domains with your mother?"

AmberVael
2009-05-09, 01:11 AM
"...kind of. I guess."
Crimson nods.
"He doesn't really rule over any one place. He's above that."

Reinholdt
2009-05-09, 01:12 AM
"Above that?" :smallconfused:
She knew he was above the mother... in some way.

AmberVael
2009-05-09, 01:17 AM
"Father doesn't concern himself with territories and disputes. We were brought into existence by his will- his authority is already established. Anything he wishes done will be done, no matter who he asks."

Reinholdt
2009-05-09, 01:20 AM
"Is he like... some sort of god or something? Cause that's the vibe I keep getting."

AmberVael
2009-05-09, 01:23 AM
"He created the Underworld, along with his peers."
Says Crimson quietly.

Reinholdt
2009-05-09, 01:25 AM
Oh that's right.
Grand Irene.
Let's try to get the Queen of the Underworld and a God of the Underworld to let a little girl go. And with luck, not get killed in the process.

Irene groans and just buries her head in the pillow.

AmberVael
2009-05-09, 01:28 AM
Crimson wraps her arms around Irene, hugging her tightly.
"It's okay... I doubt you'll see him anyways."

Reinholdt
2009-05-09, 01:31 AM
"Oh well that's some good news at least."
Her voice is muffled by the pillow.

AmberVael
2009-05-09, 01:34 AM
Crimson hugs Irene even tighter, frowning and pouting as she watches her, knowing that she disliked it all.

Reinholdt
2009-05-09, 01:38 AM
Irene twists around in the hug in order to return it. "Don't worry. I'll think of something and it will all turn out ok."

AmberVael
2009-05-09, 01:39 AM
Crimson gives her a tiny smile and nods.

Reinholdt
2009-05-09, 01:42 AM
:smallsmile:
"We had probably better get some sleep before we arrive. Who knows when we might get another chance?"

AmberVael
2009-05-09, 01:49 AM
"Yeah..."
Crimson slides into the bed.
"Night Irene."

Reinholdt
2009-05-09, 01:52 AM
"Night Scarlet." Irene tries to snuggle her to sleep like that one night. Except this time, it's Irene requesting it.

AmberVael
2009-05-09, 07:28 PM
Crimson wakes up early and gently slides out of bed, trying not to wake Irene as she paces towards the door.

Reinholdt
2009-05-09, 07:34 PM
Irene doesn't wake up yet!
Crimson gets +15 sneaking exp.
Well that and Irene is still pretty tired from that long exhausting march yesterday. So sleeping soundly for a good long while is probably the result of that.

AmberVael
2009-05-09, 07:42 PM
Crimson manages to sneak out of the room, heading off to do... something.
No idea what now! The plot action has left the view of the player involved! :smalltongue:

Reinholdt
2009-05-09, 07:51 PM
Argh! Oh noes!

Irene wakes up sometime 2-3 hours later and looks around. And if nothing of interest presents itself, exits the cabin.

AmberVael
2009-05-09, 07:55 PM
The only things within the room are the bed, a chest, and a desk that appears to be part of the wall. So yeah, nothing really of interest, unfortunately. Irene will have to go outside and hope the ocean spray won't kill her or cause amnesia.

Crimson and Nettle are the front of the ship, talking quietly.

Reinholdt
2009-05-09, 07:59 PM
Meep! Ocean spray! :smalleek: Dang it, where's my poncho?

Unlike some people, Irene will not be rude and interrupting their conversation and stuff. Cause it's rude, it's Crimson, and Irene is on thin ice just being here. She wouldn't hesitate if it was back up there where she's the fairest of them all and all that.

Anyways, might as well take a look around the ship.

AmberVael
2009-05-09, 08:09 PM
The ship is made of some ivory material that looks disturbingly like bone... way too disturbingly like bone, in fact. Might not want to think too hard about that. Yeah, nice pretty white wood. It has a few sails stretched out to catch the wind, but it is also being propelled by some oars jutting out from a lower deck- that's probably where all the zombies are, come to think of it. Irene hasn't seen them since she went to the cabin...

There is a small area that leads to a few more cabin rooms and what might be a small mess hall and storage area- and then the main lower deck where the rowers would be.

Reinholdt
2009-05-09, 08:11 PM
*grumble grumble*
To the mess hall!
Hopefully it doesn't live up to its name.

AmberVael
2009-05-09, 08:18 PM
The mess hall has a few tables and a small cooking area, but is otherwise devoid of anything interesting.
At least, that is one's initial impression.
After a moment of looking it over, one realizes that there are strange symbols etched into the walls in a very subtle and discreet manner. It's very odd to look at...

Reinholdt
2009-05-09, 08:21 PM
Food? Symbols? Food? Symbols?
Irene will go with examining the symbols more closely. Odd things must be carefully observed. And that curiosity streak still exists after all.

AmberVael
2009-05-09, 08:29 PM
All of the symbols seem to be variations on circles in some way- concentric circles, overlapping circles, circles with different shapes inscribed in the middle of them... but the variations of this pattern are almost endless, and could in fact be an entire language.

Reinholdt
2009-05-09, 08:33 PM
Chant the language and cast the unknown spell!
Or not...
Let's try to get some food for eating instead. That sounds like a good idea.

AmberVael
2009-05-09, 08:38 PM
If she knew how to pronounce the language, that is... :smalltongue:

Anyways! She investigates the kitchen and finds a supply of surprisingly normal looking food. Huh.

Reinholdt
2009-05-09, 08:45 PM
Yay! Let's eat!
Irene eats. No I'm not picking what she eats. How am I supposed to know her culinary tastes? She could like eating bark for all I know.

AmberVael
2009-05-09, 09:00 PM
Mmmm! Bark! Om nom nom!

While she is eating, one of the zombies wanders inside of the room. Now that her focus isn't on Crimson or the fight, or just keeping up with Nettle and her march, she might have a chance to examine it further...

Or she could be freaked out and try and get away.

Reinholdt
2009-05-09, 09:03 PM
Freak out and try to get away for 100 please Alec.
Albeit slowly. Maybe it can't see you if you move really slowly...
o.o

AmberVael
2009-05-09, 09:14 PM
The zombie glances her way, but eventually moves over to the wall and simply places its hands over the circles and closes its eyes. Irene will see a faint glow in its chest begin, a red orange glows like a fire, which pulses like a heartbeat.

Reinholdt
2009-05-09, 09:18 PM
Irene backs over to the other wall, but is now entranced by what appears to be an intelligent zombie of some sort and feels the need to watch this until the end.
Wait... isn't that how horror movies work?

AmberVael
2009-05-09, 09:20 PM
The zombie seems to be sitting, and has closed its eyes while it keeps its hands on the symbols. Nothing else about the situation really changes...

Huh. Maybe this isn't a horror scene. :smalltongue:

Reinholdt
2009-05-09, 09:25 PM
*foot tap*
Bah.
Irene goes back to eating, but keeps her eye on the zombie in case anything changes.

AmberVael
2009-05-09, 09:26 PM
Nothing really changes... until suddenly the zombie gets up and moves to leave. Irene might be able to do something or catch it before it goes out...

Reinholdt
2009-05-09, 09:33 PM
Right. Like Irene is going to try to interefere with a zombie's routine or path or... whatever.

No. She will however finish up and go and see if Crimson and Nettle are still talking.

AmberVael
2009-05-09, 09:35 PM
Crimson is no longer on the deck, but Nettle is still there, looking out over the waves, her arms crossed. The young girl seems rather imperious.

Reinholdt
2009-05-09, 09:38 PM
Irene heads on up to her. "Hello. Nettle right? Did we ever properly get introduced? I'm Irene." She offers out her hand.

AmberVael
2009-05-09, 09:41 PM
Nettle glances up at her.
"I am Stinging Nettle of Marsh. Do you have some business with me, mortal?"
Her gaze is vaguely contemptuous, and she doesn't take Irene's hand.

Reinholdt
2009-05-09, 09:50 PM
Irene takes back her hand and glares at Nettle. Who did this little girl think she was treating IRENE like that? She's lucky she doesn't get slapped right there for her insolence.

"I was going to ask you about your mother and your purpose and opinions and how you came to be Exalted and all that, but you're obviously not worth my time." She turns to stomp off.

AmberVael
2009-05-09, 09:53 PM
"Stop."
Her voice isn't simply forceful, but commanding. Supernaturally so. There's some sort of compulsion behind that single word.
"Come here."
She orders, her voice a little quieter, but still commanding, if not quite as much as before.

Reinholdt
2009-05-09, 09:55 PM
:smalleek:
Irene stops.
And goes to where Nettle wants.
So much for playing up her superiority.

AmberVael
2009-05-09, 10:06 PM
"My sister may not act on it, but it is important for you to understand your place. Her acceptance of you is the exception, not the rule. Those you will see are not your equals. They have been Exalted- granted power and authority by those who created the universe.
"By the will of our masters, we have become divine. We have transcended humanity- if we strike stone, it shatters. Should we will it, we do not bleed, nor suffer illness. Our actions sway the tide of fate and our words are commands to men, elements, and time alike. We do not follow the conduct of mortals and the dead, but create what it is right and wrong."
Nettle looks up at her, red eyes glinting.
"You are simply a mortal- what is more, a mortal in a place she should not be. It would be entirely within my rights to rip your fragile ghost and spirit from your earthy shell, and it is only out of faintest gratitude that I do not."
The little girl steps closer, her words piercing as she continues.
"My mother and sisters will not be bound by that gratitude. You should tread very, very carefully."

Reinholdt
2009-05-09, 10:16 PM
Simply a mortal! Oooooo.... how dare.... I... she'll...
Irene shakes with fury, but nods her head. She does so silently though, not trusting herself to speak.

AmberVael
2009-05-09, 10:20 PM
Nettle seems to understand her rage, and speaks a few more quiet sentences.
"For the purposes of this trip, it doesn't matter what your opinion of the matter is. If you cannot resist a single commanding charm of mine, then my mother and sisters will be able to do whatever they wish to you, and they will view it as their right. If you anger them, you will die, or worse."
She turns away and begins walking back to the prow of the ship.

Reinholdt
2009-05-09, 10:33 PM
Irene closes her eyes. Cool head. Cool head. Now is not the time to trounce that little bugger upside the head for presuming Irene didn't come back of her own free will amongst other things.
Breathe in.
Breathe out.
Breathe in.
Breathe out.

Irene opens her eyes again. If Nettle is this insufferable, Irene would have to prepare for worse with the mother and other sisters. Honestly, what makes these people think they have the right to do as they please with the people they designate as mortals? :smallannoyed:

After a bit of cooling down, she'll head back to her cabin to prepare herself mentally for worse situations than that one

AmberVael
2009-05-09, 10:38 PM
Crimson is curled up on the bed in the cabin, her back to the door.

Reinholdt
2009-05-09, 10:40 PM
"Hey Scarlet." Irene heads over to sit on the bed.

AmberVael
2009-05-09, 10:45 PM
"Hi Irene."
Crimson says quietly, turning over to face her, giving her a gentle smile.

Reinholdt
2009-05-09, 10:47 PM
Irene tries to force a smile, but it doesn't really come out right. "Are all your sisters as insufferable and stuck up as Nettle?" She flops down on the bed instead of sitting, because flopping is so much more appropriate.

AmberVael
2009-05-09, 10:48 PM
"They're not stuck up, they just put too much emphasis on their positions."
Protests Crimson, pouting a little.

Reinholdt
2009-05-09, 10:54 PM
Irene rolls her eyes. "Alright. If you say so." Of course. Crimson would be a little defensive about that.

"Still... thinking they have the rights to do as they please with others? That's slavery. Pure and simple. Sure it's dressed up with fancy words like divine and transcended, but the concept is the same."

AmberVael
2009-05-09, 10:59 PM
"I know it isn't really right, Irene, but they're not trying to be bad, they're just not looking at what they're meant to do quite the right way."
Argues Crimson, pouting even more.
"They're not really bad people..."

Reinholdt
2009-05-09, 11:03 PM
"Hmm... alright Scarlet. I'll take your word for it. You know them better than I do." Actions have spoken louder than words though... what with their goal and their punishments and their attitudes.

AmberVael
2009-05-09, 11:06 PM
Yeah, Crimson is just kind of an optimist. And naive. And blind.
Poor little innocent Crimson.
The girl hugs Irene tightly.

Reinholdt
2009-05-09, 11:10 PM
Well, let's see how long she can keep that blind eye up, shall we?
Irene hugs her back and pets her pretty red hair.
"I gotta get some sleep early tonight. And do some thinking. I managed to upset Nettle enough into... talking to me let's call it. I gotta be more prepared for when I meet the rest of your family so I don't incite anything worse."

AmberVael
2009-05-09, 11:14 PM
Well, she's done it pretty long so far...
"Okay. I'll stay with you, okay?"

Reinholdt
2009-05-09, 11:15 PM
Forever is a unit of time too!
"Alright. That's fine by me. Preferable even." What with the creepy zombies and vitreous Nettle.

Irene slips under the covers.

AmberVael
2009-05-09, 11:19 PM
Crimson cuddles up to Irene, curling up just a tad as she shakes out her long red hair.
"Good night, Irene."

Reinholdt
2009-05-09, 11:23 PM
*cuddles*
"Night Scarlet."
As Irene drifts to sleep she remembers that in all her anger at Nettle she forgot to ask how many more days it would take to get there.
Oh well. Hopefully not too many.
Irene falls asleep again.

AmberVael
2009-05-10, 01:23 PM
The ship sails on silently through the dark night and into the still shadowy day, gliding through the eerily calm waters. Propelled by the rowing of the undead slaves and the cold wind, it slices its path to Stygia like a knife through black velvet.

Nettle watches over the ships passage with her red eyes, overseeing everything.

Reinholdt
2009-05-10, 02:42 PM
Irene wakes up and takes a look around. And starts planning. How would she go about approaching the Queen or whatever she called herself?

AmberVael
2009-05-10, 02:43 PM
Crimson is still asleep, curled up beside Irene. Her face is serene, no lines of worry marring its smooth surface, red hair strewn across it.

Reinholdt
2009-05-10, 02:53 PM
Irene backs up, careful not to wake Crimson. Staying on the bed and sitting against the wall she starts pondering.

"Queen! Let my Crimson go! No.... too biblical sounding."

"Let her go you creep! Yeah... that would get me killed in a second."

"Dearest queen. Would please consider relieving Scarlet from your service?... Too formal. Or not formal enough? How formal do these people go? Won't know until I get there I guess."

AmberVael
2009-05-10, 02:56 PM
There's a faint knock on the door.

Reinholdt
2009-05-10, 03:01 PM
Irene carefully gets out of the bed and goes to open the door, her thoughts interrupted for the time being.

AmberVael
2009-05-10, 03:10 PM
Oh hey! It's a zombie.

Now that its close, Irene gets a better look at it, whether she wants to or not. Stiff, gray blue hair jaggedly protrudes from his head in spikes- appearing maintained, oddly. The zombie has pale, slick skin with a grayish tint to it. It's eyes are a darker blue that match the hair. What is more, there is a faint blue pulse emanating from where its heart should be.
"Mistress wishes to inform you that we will soon arrive."
It's voice is quiet and whispering, as if unable to raise higher.

Reinholdt
2009-05-10, 03:12 PM
O.O
"Thanks."
Irene shuts the door slowly as if afraid to startle the zombie. Or making sure it has nothing else to say.

AmberVael
2009-05-10, 03:13 PM
The zombie turns away and heads off to his station.

Reinholdt
2009-05-10, 03:15 PM
Irene goes to wake up Crimson. "Hey Scarlet? Scarlet. We're almost there." Why do people always talk quieter when they're trying to wake someone up?

AmberVael
2009-05-10, 03:17 PM
Crimson slowly wakes up, her eyes sliding open as she smiles up at Irene.
"Hi Irene."

Reinholdt
2009-05-10, 03:22 PM
Awww... so cute. :smallsmile:
"Come on. Time to get up. We're almost there."

AmberVael
2009-05-10, 03:24 PM
Crimson reaches out for Irene's arm and hand, gently tugging her closer.
"Come here."

Reinholdt
2009-05-10, 03:31 PM
"Umm... ok." Irene comes closer, sitting back down on the bed, not really sure why they're still whispering.

AmberVael
2009-05-10, 03:32 PM
Because Crimson is still sleepy.
The girl snuggles into Irene, smiling blissfully.
"Mmmmm."

Reinholdt
2009-05-10, 03:36 PM
Irene just snuggles back and starts petting Crimson's hair. "You know you have really pretty hair, don't you?"

AmberVael
2009-05-10, 03:38 PM
"You think so?"
Crimson asks, her voice raising a little as she opens her eyes and looks up at Irene.

Reinholdt
2009-05-10, 03:42 PM
Irene nods. "Yeah. Of course. It's natural too, isn't it?" Probably something to do with Exaltation, or theirs in particular.

"It would take forever to figure out how to dye hair just right like that."

AmberVael
2009-05-10, 03:43 PM
Crimson nods, smiling.
"It turned that way when mother chose me."

Reinholdt
2009-05-10, 03:46 PM
Irene nods and gets the smallest of sighs that could mean anything. "I figured as much. What else changed besides your hair?"

AmberVael
2009-05-10, 03:52 PM
"Um... well, I changed a lot. My body sort of... melded into a better shape. Anything wrong with it just got fixed. I don't age anymore... I only look this old because of experiments my mother did. My sisters all appear younger than me."
Crimson sits up a little and leans into Irene.
"I don't really get sick anymore, and I'm more durable than just about anything other than metal. Learning and magic come easier to me too."

Reinholdt
2009-05-10, 03:58 PM
Irene laughs. "Well I meant things like your eye color, but I suppose that answers my question too." She grins at Crimson.

AmberVael
2009-05-10, 04:00 PM
"Oh."
Crimson blushes a little.
"Well, they did change too..."

Reinholdt
2009-05-10, 04:04 PM
Irene giggles a little more. "No need to be embarrassed. I was probably going to ask that next or later sometime anyways." She shrugs. "You just caught it early."

AmberVael
2009-05-10, 04:08 PM
Crimson smiles shyly at Irene and hugs her tightly.
"Okay. So... um... we were going to arrive soon?"

Reinholdt
2009-05-10, 04:10 PM
Irene nods. "Yep. That's what Mr. creepy zombie said." She shudders a bit.

AmberVael
2009-05-10, 04:11 PM
"They're not really creepy or bad, Irene..."
Crimson says reprovingly.

Reinholdt
2009-05-10, 04:27 PM
"I don't know... they're just so... unnatural. Maybe they're not bad, but they're still creepy."

AmberVael
2009-05-10, 04:29 PM
Crimson gives a little sigh and stands.
"We should probably get ready to land."

Reinholdt
2009-05-10, 04:34 PM
Irene frowns as Crimson stands up, careful to not let her see. "Ok. But what do we need to do exactly?" She stands up as well.

AmberVael
2009-05-11, 10:04 AM
"Oh, not much. We're pretty much just waiting to get off now, is what it is."
Explains Crimson.

Reinholdt
2009-05-11, 10:34 AM
"Oh. Alright." Irene heads for the door to step out on deck. "Come on. Let's go watch at least."

AmberVael
2009-05-11, 10:36 AM
Crimson takes Irene's hand and docilely follows her outside. Irene will see that they're swiftly approaching the docks of some vast harbor city. It looks like a creepy place as shadows hang all over it, and everything appears slightly dilapidated as if it had been abandoned for a while. There is a great deal of sound coming from it, but it is all muffled and indistinct.

Ghostly blue lights designate where they should dock, and Nettle seems to be directing her zombies to take them there.

Reinholdt
2009-05-11, 10:48 AM
Irene shudders. Why does everything down here have to be so creepy and not natural? Where are the pretty flowers?

"That's the neutral city, right?" She whispers to Crimson.

AmberVael
2009-05-11, 10:52 AM
Crimson shakes her head.
"Stygia is further inland. We won't be able to get there by boat. We're almost there though."
Their ship slows as it reaches the docks, then comes to an unsteady halt. Nettle's zombies come up on top of the deck and begin securing it, while a plank is put down so that the group can get onto the docks.

Reinholdt
2009-05-11, 10:56 AM
"Oh? What's this place called then?"

She'll wait until it looks like they've got it properly secured and ready for her to depart before heading down off the boat and onto land.

AmberVael
2009-05-11, 11:01 AM
"I think this is the Bastion of the Alaun. But I've never been here before, so I don't know."
Says Crimson quietly.
"Underworld geography isn't my strong point- I've barely ever left my home at all."

The boat is swiftly secured, and Nettle walks down the plank, while Crimson looks up to Irene and will follow her when she goes down it.

Reinholdt
2009-05-11, 11:11 AM
"It's ok. I probably won't need the information all that much." She leads Crimson down off the boat.

"Just follow Nettle right?" Irene looks around to see who else is at the docks. What with this being a city and all.

AmberVael
2009-05-11, 11:16 AM
Crimson nods to Irene.
The docks are actually pretty much empty, despite this being a huge harbor city. Strange, really... there is a ship being unloaded across the way from them, and there are some smaller boats dotting the harbor, and also a few ghostly figures that appear to be sailor types walking around the piers, but otherwise there aren't too many people.

The zombies finish securing the ship and follow Crimson and Irene, who in turn follow Nettle. Nettle seems to be leading them away from the docks and also away from the central part of the city, instead leading them away through a smaller side street and out towards a more open and unpopulated area.

Reinholdt
2009-05-11, 11:18 AM
Irene nods back in understanding and proceeds to follow Nettle, while whispering conversation to Crimson.

"Do you know why it's so empty around here? I would imagine something this size to be bustling."

AmberVael
2009-05-11, 11:24 AM
"What use do the dead have for a harbor?"
When looked at in that way, it suddenly makes more sense. There's no need to fish or use ships for anything but transportation, really. Furthermore, when one no longer has a life span to worry about, and no need to swiftly carry spoiling cargo- protecting the cargo is suddenly more important than getting somewhere quickly. Traveling across land becomes more convenient as it means less chance of cargo somehow getting lost in the sea or water logged, and what is more, there are no fitful winds, and someone who need not worry about exhaustion can travel by land all day long.

In that sense, a harbor has become more like an infrequently used parking lot. You're not going to see much around it, really. There's no point in developing anything directly next to the docks.

Reinholdt
2009-05-11, 11:32 AM
Irene ponders this for a bit. Thinking about the logistics and all that.

"Ummmm.... alright. Fair enough. But why build it so big then? Heck... why build it all if it's not really needed?"

AmberVael
2009-05-11, 11:35 AM
"Navies. The Deathlords need a place to put, build, and repair their fleets. They still have a good military advantage, and sometimes you need to travel on a ship."
Crimson shrugs.
"This is on an island- you have to have some way to get here."

Reinholdt
2009-05-11, 11:43 AM
"Oh." Irene drops the whispers since Crimson has as well.

"Do they fight amongst themselves often like what happened back there?" When Nettle and Crimson beat up nameless dude. "And why do they fight?"

AmberVael
2009-05-11, 11:50 AM
"Not always. It's... well... greed. Conflict over how to carry out the plans and wishes of my father and his peers."
Crimson says with a tiny sigh.
"We got into a fight because Mother and the Lion have a bit of a grudge against each other. She dislikes him for messing up her perfect plan and being an unfaithful servant- and he blames her for the punishment he received for messing up her plan.
"It's quite obvious that Mother has the right view of things, honestly. The Lion is just sore about it all."

Reinholdt
2009-05-11, 03:07 PM
Irene nods. "Of course." Clearly mother has the right point of view and this history lesson isn't being colored by naivety at all.

Clearly.

"What exactly was this perfect plan?"

AmberVael
2009-05-11, 03:14 PM
Ironically, Crimson's understanding of the situation is pretty accurate.

"Um..."
Crimson's eyes roll up to look at Irene hesitantly.
"Maybe we shouldn't talk about that?"
She says, almost begging.

Reinholdt
2009-05-11, 03:19 PM
"Alright. I wasn't sure if it was one of those sensitive topics or secret plans or whatever. Seems to be. So we'll discuss it no more."

That curiosity is going to eat away at Irene for the rest of the trip. Curses! What is that secret perfect plan that's obviously not fool-proof?!

AmberVael
2009-05-11, 03:29 PM
"I just... don't think you'd like it very much."
Clearly Crimson doesn't want to make Irene uncomfortable or unhappy with her.

The group has made it a relatively good ways away from the city now.

Reinholdt
2009-05-11, 03:48 PM
"Oh? Is that all? We all have to live with things we're uncomfortable with. You know that right now I just want to be home curled up snuggling you next to the fire. But I'm not. Still. Maybe it would help me understand your mother if you told me about her plan."

"If it makes YOU uncomfortable, though, don't worry about it."

AmberVael
2009-05-11, 03:57 PM
"Well um... you know what father and mother want me to do..."
Crimson says, trailing off.
"Before mother gained access to Exaltations, she served father directly- it was her task to find a way to bring everyone here.
"So... she made a disease. It was called the Great Contagion. It nearly succeeded, except the First and Forsaken Lion, along with his pawn, manipulated forces from the Wyld to come in to Creation- the chaos they spread happened to react unexpectedly with the Contagion, and people gained a resistance to it, so mother's plan failed.
"Father's peer- the one the Lion serves- punished the Lion by exiling him from Stygia and binding his existence to the armor he used to wear."

Reinholdt
2009-05-11, 04:01 PM
"Huh. I see. And your mother decided to switch to using Exaltation agents sometime after that, huh?"

"What was your mother's name again?"

AmberVael
2009-05-11, 04:11 PM
Crimson nods.
"She began using Exaltations a lot later than most of the Deathlords though- and her name is the Dowager of the Irreverent Vulgate in Unrent Veils."
Even though the title is long and clunky, Crimson seems to have it down smoothly. She must be quite familiar with it by now though...

Reinholdt
2009-05-11, 04:21 PM
"Ah. The Dowager of the Irreverent Vulgate in Unrent Veils. The Dowager of the Irreverent Vulgate in Unrent Veils. The Dowager of the Irreverent Vulgate in Unrent Veils." She repeats it to herself a few times so she has it down.

AmberVael
2009-05-11, 04:27 PM
Crimson smiles faintly up at Irene.
"Got it? She has some other titles too, but that's the one most know her by. It's the only one you really need to know."

Reinholdt
2009-05-11, 04:31 PM
Irene nods. "Yeah. I think I've got it. Thanks." She repeats the words in her head a few times. Maybe the rest of the trip. It's not an easy name.

"You figure out what you're going to do when you get there?"

AmberVael
2009-05-11, 04:44 PM
Crimson shakes her head.
"I guess mother will just want me to stay at home though..."

Reinholdt
2009-05-11, 04:54 PM
Irene nods and looks at Nettle. Perhaps it best not to mention Irene's plans otherwise. "Just one question about that, though. Your father doesn't want you home, right? Doesn't your mother work for your father?"

AmberVael
2009-05-11, 04:57 PM
Crimson bites her lip, glances at Nettle, then whispers very very quietly to Irene.
"I don't know what father wants. He doesn't really speak to me much and... sometimes what he says contradicts what he's said before. When I met him he took me away and out into the world- and even after mother took him away he didn't seem to mind me being away from the underworld... but I don't know. He's hard to understand."

Reinholdt
2009-05-11, 05:04 PM
Irene falls into whisper as well. "How exactly did mother take father away?"

AmberVael
2009-05-11, 05:11 PM
"We were passing through part of Creation when she and some of her zombies came. She captured and subdued father, but father sent me... away. To somewhere I didn't recognize. I wandered for a while, then you found me."

Reinholdt
2009-05-11, 05:18 PM
Irene ponders this. SOMETHING was off. Really off. The father sounded like some sort of god who practically owned the Dowager and all the sisters. Yet was easily captured like that?

No. Something was wrong. A coup of some sort perhaps? And she may not be able to tell until they got there.

AmberVael
2009-05-11, 05:25 PM
Crimson looks up at Irene.
"What is it?"

Reinholdt
2009-05-11, 05:27 PM
"I'm just... I'm wondering how it was possible for your mother to capture your father is all. Even more so, I'm wondering WHY she would do so."

AmberVael
2009-05-12, 08:15 AM
"Oh, um, well... I..."
Crimson gets a confused look over her face. Obviously the questions never occurred to her before, as strange as that might seem.

Reinholdt
2009-05-12, 08:20 AM
"EXACTLY." Irene waits and lets this sink into poor Crimson's naive little brain. She ponders if Nettle might now. And if she does, has she already chosen sides? Presuming there are sides... beyond the bickering Deathlords anyways.

AmberVael
2009-05-12, 08:34 AM
"I think... mom just wanted to protect me. She didn't think going out into Creation was a good idea- she and dad don't always agree..."
Says Crimson hesitantly.

Reinholdt
2009-05-12, 08:41 AM
"..."
"To the point where she feels the need to attack, subdue, and capture your father? That's quite a disagreement."

AmberVael
2009-05-12, 08:45 AM
Crimson's eyes skitter to one side.
"She didn't really hurt him... not really... and mother does get a little, um, aggressive. Sometimes."
The little girl's voice is dwindling smaller and smaller.

Reinholdt
2009-05-12, 08:52 AM
"Oh yes. I can just imagine how that would go over. 'Look I know you're the boss and all. And I'm supposed to do EVERYTHING you say because of orders and all that. But I'm sort of fed up with it, so into the deep dank prison you go! Whee!'"

AmberVael
2009-05-12, 08:57 AM
Crimson says nothing in reply, her eyes just focused on the ground now. Her hand is rather limp in Irene's grasp, and she walks alongside her silently, the sad expression on her face the only sign of her reaction.

Reinholdt
2009-05-12, 09:05 AM
Irene frowns. "Hey now... chin up. I'm just suggesting that their quarrel may be a little deeper and a little bigger than you might realize. And that's something you have to know about, because you're caught up in the middle. Understand? Whatever's going on is and will affect you too and you have to be prepared for anything, ok?"

AmberVael
2009-05-12, 09:07 AM
Crimson gives Irene a tiny nod, but doesn't look up from the ground.

Reinholdt
2009-05-12, 09:13 AM
Irene sighs. "I'm sorry. I'm just worried about you. I don't want to see you get hurt." She doesn't add the part about getting hurt because two jerks couldn't take their silly feud elsewhere and stop interfering in little girls lives and... well there's plenty more ands that color the parents bad.

AmberVael
2009-05-12, 09:19 AM
"I know, Irene."
Her voice is small and resigned, bruised and a little broken.

Reinholdt
2009-05-12, 09:25 AM
Gah! Irene can't stand it. "And we get back, we're going to enjoy hot chocolate and the hot tub again, ok?" Cheer up little Crimson!

AmberVael
2009-05-12, 09:29 AM
That brings a tiny smile to Crimson's face, though her voice is still rather quiet and sad.
"Okay."
She very gently hugs Irene.

Reinholdt
2009-05-12, 09:33 AM
Gentle hugs get returned with a reassuring smile. Irene then continues on in silence. Crimson probably still needs to let it settle in and work through the possibilities herself after all, much as Irene would love to just fix it.

She looks around to see where they are now.

AmberVael
2009-05-12, 09:36 AM
Currently they appear to be walking along a very wide, long road of gray stone. On either side of them, off in the distance, are dark forests of black, sickly trees with mist and moss clinging to them like funereal shrouds.

Off waaaay in the distance, straight ahead along the road, is a huge city.

Reinholdt
2009-05-12, 09:39 AM
Irene shudders involuntarily again. Why is this place sooo creepy?

Which is kind of silly cause her player absolutely loves how creepy it is.

Irene gives the slightest of nudges to Crimson. "Hey Scarlet. That's Stygia, right?"

AmberVael
2009-05-12, 09:45 AM
Well, a realm made of the dying dreams of nigh unfathomable entities as they pictured their deaths isn't exactly going to be a pleasant place.

Crimson gives Irene a little nod.
"I think so."

Reinholdt
2009-05-12, 09:47 AM
"And that's where we'll meet..." Irene closes her eyes to concentrate. "...The Dowager of the Irreverent Vulgate in Unrent Veils. Correct?"

AmberVael
2009-05-12, 09:48 AM
Crimson shakes her head.
"Oh no, she won't be in Stygia. But Stygia is a shortcut to her- there's an artifact there we can use to get to mother's home."

Reinholdt
2009-05-12, 09:52 AM
"Oh that's right." Irene grimaces. "I forgot about that. It's been a lot to take in." What with trying to learn about a whole new world and all.

AmberVael
2009-05-12, 09:55 AM
Crimson bites her lip.
"Irene... why did you want to come?"

Reinholdt
2009-05-12, 10:06 AM
Irene rolls this over, thinking. "Well... to be honest I didn't want you to come at all. I would've tried to keep you there. But then that Daisuke guy showed up and I knew that couldn't happen without you getting seriously hurt somehow. But I wasn't going to let you go back alone either. Too dangerous. So I came with. Besides, I wanted to meet your mother and father to... talk to them." With a two by four. To their heads.

Course that isn't going to happen.

AmberVael
2009-05-12, 10:13 AM
"I could get you out of here... send you somewhere safe."
Says Crimson, pleading just a little. She seems rather conflicted.

Reinholdt
2009-05-12, 10:16 AM
Irene shakes her head. Pleading won't work. Not this time little Crimson. "I'm not leaving without you. Or I'm not leaving. Whichever the case may be."

AmberVael
2009-05-12, 10:19 AM
Crimson hugs Irene tightly as they get closer and closer to the huge city.

Reinholdt
2009-05-12, 10:22 AM
More hugs. Irene hugs back. My these two are huggy.

Irene continues on in silence, waiting to reach the city.

AmberVael
2009-05-12, 10:28 AM
Well, hugs are amazing. You can't blame them.

They walk for a while longer, but eventually come to the huge gates of the city. After a short discussion with the guards, Nettle leads them in through a smaller side gate, and they enter into Stygia.
Ghosts wander through the city, interspersed here and there with the occasional undead. Crimson, Nettle, and Irene seem to be the only people who are actually alive...

Nettle seems to be leading them towards one particular corner.

Reinholdt
2009-05-12, 10:32 AM
Irene watches the undead wide-eyed with... >.< I despise those mirrored glasses sometimes. They're cool on Squeaky Shoes Man. Not on Irene. GAH!

Irene follows. Who can tell what she's thinking?

She resumes whispering to Crimson. "This city is a meeting ground for all the deathlords and their servants, right?"

AmberVael
2009-05-12, 10:37 AM
"It's the center of the underworld, and is basically a hub for getting in and out of it- all of the Deathlords have some measure of control over it, and want a stake in it, so they each have a faction here."
Replies Crimson.
They seem to be nearing what might be a temple...

Reinholdt
2009-05-12, 10:39 AM
"If this is a hub for getting in and out, then how come we appeared so far away?"

AmberVael
2009-05-12, 10:46 AM
"Well, it's mainly where the dead get in and out."
Says Crimson.
"Nettle used a variation of a spell that allows you to switch between the corresponding positions in Creation and the Underworld- so we ended up in an area that was similar and more connected to where we came from."

Reinholdt
2009-05-12, 10:50 AM
"I see." More shudders. At this rate the poor creeped out Irene is just going to fall apart as her joints come loose. "And Creation. That's what you call where I live?"

AmberVael
2009-05-12, 10:52 AM
Crimson shakes her head.
"I don't know where you live. It isn't part of Creation at all... but I bet mother would understand where you live. She knows all about the other worlds and realms of existence- more than anyone else."

Reinholdt
2009-05-12, 10:55 AM
"Ah. Ok. Well, it's not that important." Hardly what's going to be the real conversation topic anyways.

AmberVael
2009-05-12, 10:58 AM
Crimson nods in understanding as Nettle leads them into the temple- or attempts to.
A few ghosts block the way.
Why do you attempt to bring the living into the temple of the Abhorrence of Life?
One hisses to the little girl in a misty voice.

Nettle steps forwards, red eyes gleaming.
"You have no right to question me, ghost. I could have your limbs hacked off for even looking at me in a way I dislike."

Reinholdt
2009-05-12, 11:01 AM
Temple of Abhorrence of Life.
Oh this was going to be fun.

Irene whispers to Crimson. "Are they referring to all three of us or just me?"

AmberVael
2009-05-12, 11:05 AM
"Just you."
Says Crimson quietly.
"Father chose Nettle and I. They wouldn't dare keep us from his temple."

The ghost cringes, as if it had been burned.
I meant no offense! I just wish to protect my lady from any-
"That will do. Move aside."
The two ghostly guards practically flee as Nettle turns to Irene, Crimson, and her zombies.
"Come."

Reinholdt
2009-05-12, 11:08 AM
Irene figured as much. But what was that ghost about to say? Hmmm...

Irene follows Nettle silently, keeping close to Crimson and looking around, perhaps morbidly intrigued with a temple with such a name.

AmberVael
2009-05-12, 11:14 AM
Crimson holds tightly to Irene's hand as they enter, and as they do, Irene can feel some kind of chill, dark aura washing over her. Something presses on her mind- not actively- but just because it is there along with her, as if it put pressure on everything near it. The temple itself seems rather empty, but Irene might be a little more fixated on the presence which is becoming more and more overbearing, vaguely whispering around her in a way that is terrible to hear.

Reinholdt
2009-05-12, 11:24 AM
Irene decides shuddering involuntarily is unacceptable in this situation.

Let's go for all out nervous shaking. At least for a little while. Irene forces herself to drag it under control considering what's at stake. Calming and steeling herself, she presses forward.

AmberVael
2009-05-12, 11:38 AM
"You're going to be okay, Irene. Just listen to my voice. Listen to me. Don't focus on anything else. When we get back away from here, we'll sit in front of the fire and have hot chocolate. Don't worry."
Crimson keeps talking quickly and quietly, trying to distract Irene from the presence Crimson knows is there.

However, a little voice of a shy girl isn't much in the face of a creature that crafted a world that rebelled against it and sent it down into the deepest nightmares that have ever been. Indeed, it's whispers seem to even use her voice, twisting it by obscuring it and warping it. Irene can hear the faintest sound of mocking laughter, Crimson's concern, a vague memory of Crimson coming to her room with a knife...

Nettle has lead them into a smaller room with a pedestal in the center. It appears to have a little globe positioned on top of it, which she begins turning.

Reinholdt
2009-05-12, 11:46 AM
Irene blinks, her gaze becoming vacant and lost as she looks around for the source of the strange whispers. Concentrating on them more to try and pinpoint where they keep coming from. She grimaces at the laughter and memory of Crimson and the knife, as she grows more conflicted, her focus splitting between the whispers and Crimson. The whispers winning faster with each passing moment.

AmberVael
2009-05-12, 11:50 AM
Nettle finishes her twisting with the sphere, and the group finds themselves flung across the Underworld onto a loose cobbled path amidst trees and marsh. Before them is a huge, huge mound riddled with holes and passageways, and in front of that mound is yet another little girl, this time with black hair and eyes and a very simple, black, one piece dress.
She's sitting down, waiting for them.

The whispering presence has vanished.

Reinholdt
2009-05-12, 11:57 AM
Irene blinks some more and shakes her head. That was... odd. Huh.

She tears herself back into reality and notices where they are before whispering to Crimson again. "One of your sisters?"

AmberVael
2009-05-12, 12:01 PM
Crimson nods to Irene, her eyes a little wide.
"The oldest. She's Shoat of the Mire- she's been with mother for ages."
Shoat of the Mire appears even younger than Nettle, and when Nettle comes up to her, she waves a dismissive hand. Nettle gestures to her zombies and quickly zooms off and into the mound, leaving Crimson and Irene behind to face Shoat.

With light steps she walks right up to Irene and looks up at her mirrored glasses with her dark, void-like eyes.
"Mother has missed you, Crimson."
She says, still staring up at Irene. Her eyes focus on the glasses a little more.
"Give them here."
Commands Shoat, holding up a hand for the glasses.

Reinholdt
2009-05-12, 12:05 PM
Irene balks ever so slightly. At least I think balks is the right word.

"I, uh... I really think that's a really bad idea." All the same she reaches up to the glasses. Closing her eyes, she takes them off and tries to hand them to Shoat, keeping her eyes clenched tightly shut.

AmberVael
2009-05-12, 12:15 PM
Shoat takes the glasses and looks them over, then puts them back in Irene's hand.
"You won't need them here. And mother will want to see your eyes. Come with me."
She turns and begins leading Crimson (who takes Irene's hand and leads her) off towards the mound.

Reinholdt
2009-05-12, 12:18 PM
Irene follows Crimson closely keeping her eyes shut. "Are-are you sure that's a good idea? I don't know what my gaze will do to her." She thinks back to Vorka. Oooo.... that'd be a bad way to start a conversation. "Hi your highness. Sorry about turning you into an ugly pig-like thing. My bad."

AmberVael
2009-05-12, 12:22 PM
"Do not question me, and do not underestimate mother."

They're led down and down into the mound, going deeper. Rooms and hallways lead off to either side, but all of them seem empty...

Reinholdt
2009-05-12, 12:27 PM
Irene would close her eyes and count to ten, but her eyes are already closed. Insufferable brats. Well she gave them fair warning. Heck they probably deserve it if it does affect them. She opens her eyes and continues following Shoat the Boat, grumbling in her head.

AmberVael
2009-05-12, 12:34 PM
Irene opens her eyes and...
Nothing really seems to happen.
Huh.
Well, that's good.

Shoat leads them down into a central chamber, where a large throne made of vines and thorns and... skulls (apparently someone is a traditionalist, at least in part) supports a woman painted red and yellow, with cloven hooves and small horns, shrouded almost completely in veils.

Her very presence is overwhelming, and seems to make the room darker. As her heart beats, so does the aura of the room, and every single aspect of her seems more potent than even the whole of anyone else. She resonates with power and authority and the essence of death.

"Crimson... you've made it home at last. Come here, daughter."

Crimson glances up at Irene, and unless prevented she'll obediently begin moving over towards the Dowager.

Reinholdt
2009-05-12, 12:38 PM
Irene may have been crazy to have come down here in the first place, but she knows when it's her move. And it's not.

She lets Crimson go and waits patiently to see what mother and daughter do, fingering the glasses absentmindedly in her hand.

AmberVael
2009-05-12, 12:43 PM
The Dowager of Irreverent Vulgate in Unrent Veils leans down to gently put her hands on either side of Crimson's face and kiss her on the forehead.
"You had me worried, daughter."
Crimson lowers her head.
"I'm sorry, mother."
Gently petting the girl on the head, and gesturing for Shoat to come to her other side, the Dowager looks towards Irene.
"And what have we here?"
"She is-"
The Dowager gives a small wave of her hand to Shoat.
"No Shoat, let her explain for herself. I'm curious... indulge me."

Reinholdt
2009-05-12, 12:50 PM
Irene gives a polite bow as she's seen Butler do, though not nearly as deep nor submissive as his. "I am Irene, a former catgirl. I found your daughter sometime soon after she arrived in our world. I took her to my home and cared for her until her sister arrived to take her home." She watches the Dowager carefully, trying to gauge her reactions as best she can.

AmberVael
2009-05-12, 12:54 PM
"And you chose to return to the underworld with her? Not many would choose that willingly... especially if they were unfamiliar with what we were. Did you help her to that decision, my little Crimson?"
The Dowager asks, stroking Crimson's hair.
Crimson shakes her head, going mute as she looks up at Irene, a little afraid for her.
"Why so compelled to come here then, Irene? Maybe you don't know it, but very few people make it here intact- let alone mortals..."

Reinholdt
2009-05-12, 01:02 PM
"I... have garnered as much from my travels."

She hesitates for the shortest of seconds. "I came so that I might request that Scarlet return with me to my world as she told me her father wishes."

AmberVael
2009-05-12, 01:06 PM
"I see..."
The Dowager pauses a moment.
"Tell me, what makes you think her father does not wish her to be here?"

Reinholdt
2009-05-12, 01:10 PM
"Scarlet's own words led me to believe this was true." Irene maintains a steady gaze.

AmberVael
2009-05-12, 01:15 PM
The dowager strokes Crimson's hair a little more, then looks down at her.
"Crimson, will you go outside for a moment?"
Crimson's eyes widen, and she looks over to Irene, then back up at her mother, biting her lip. Eventually, her eyes flick down, and she nods.
"That's a good girl. I'll call you back in soon."
Crimson goes over towards the doorway, gives one last look at Irene, then steps out while her mother gestures for Shoat to close the door.

Once Crimson is gone, The Dowager stands, putting her hands behind her back.
"Crimson... suffers under a very peculiar delusion about her father."

Reinholdt
2009-05-12, 01:21 PM
Irene stays particularly quiet, watching Crimson leave as impassively as she can. As the Dowager addresses her, she gives a small polite nod to indicate that she's listening, but does not wish to interrupt so says nothing.

AmberVael
2009-05-12, 01:28 PM
"There was a man- a stranger in these parts- who found out about Crimson and disagreed with my raising of her. None of the other girls- he seemed strangely obsessed with Crimson alone. But he really had no say in the way I raised my daughters, so I ignored him.
"It proved to be a poor mistake on my part to ignore him. He kidnapped her and warped her mind with charms that rewrote memories and twisted her perception. For whatever reason, he used that power over her to make her think that he was her father- which should have meshed poorly with what she knew of her real father, but due to what he had done on her mind, she obviously has not understood the difference so far."
The Dowager appears angry.
"He stole her and ran away, attempting to further his hold on her mind, warping her further with his charms, but eventually I tracked him down and captured him, but not before he managed to send Crimson out of my reach. So I sent out Nettle searching for her, while I remained here, attempting to persuade him to tell me what methods he used and how I might remove the hold he has on her."

Reinholdt
2009-05-12, 01:39 PM
Irene had indeed considered this possibility. Not in those exact words, but the gist of it was the same. Duplicate father manipulating things.

Of course the Dowager could always be lying. The anger an act.

But if what the Dowager said was true, mentioning that Irene disagreed with her methods as well and basically wants to take Crimson back for pretty much the same reasons would be an instant death sentence.

"I see. It was lucky for you that you found her so quickly then."

AmberVael
2009-05-12, 01:43 PM
"I didn't. He managed to evade capture for a year- though after I captured him it only took me a week or so to locate her."
The Dowager says. She seems rather angry, and is faintly hissing.
"Now then, now that you know this, what will you do? What should be done with you?"

Reinholdt
2009-05-12, 01:47 PM
"Ah. My apologies. I was thinking of a different time table."

Hmmm... "I only want what's best for Scarlet. I may be able to pry the secrets out of your prisoner for you. He is but a man after all, and he's more likely to trust a mortal."

AmberVael
2009-05-12, 01:51 PM
The Dowager pauses, sitting back down on her throne.
"This might be the case..."
She looks down at Shoat, then smiles over at Irene, barely seen behind her veil.
"Very well. If that is what you wish."

Reinholdt
2009-05-12, 01:53 PM
Irene nods in affirmation. This wasn't so bad. It'll be tricky playing double agent of course, but things were looking up a little. In that she hadn't been killed yet.

AmberVael
2009-05-12, 01:58 PM
"Shoat. If you'll lead her down to the Labyrinth..."
Shoat looks up at her mother impassively, then nods.
"Follow me."
She says to Irene, moving off to a hallway opposite of the one Crimson went out of.

Reinholdt
2009-05-12, 02:01 PM
Irene turns wordlessly to follow Shoat. The Labyrinth? What was that? Guess she'll find out soon enough.

AmberVael
2009-05-12, 02:05 PM
Shoat quietly leads her down further into the mound, down to a stone doorway. The door is an archway, crafted of blocks of stone that would support themselves even without mortar or a wall to stand on. Ancient pictogram-like runes adorn itself surface.
Beyond the doorway appears to be a complete void, nothing at all.

Shoat places a hand into the void, and it swirls, shaping itself around her before forming into a passageway down into confusing black depths.

"Enter."
The little girl commands, pointing into the archway.

Reinholdt
2009-05-12, 02:08 PM
Irene looks at Shoat curiously then at the passage, before carefully treading forward under the archway.

AmberVael
2009-05-12, 02:58 PM
Shoat follows Irene in, and then begins leading her deeper into the twisting, winding corridors. Irene will begin losing track of the turns she takes- it's obviously some kind of maze. As they get deeper, she'll feel the strange darkness and pressure she felt in the temple return, growing stronger and stronger as they go further.

Reinholdt
2009-05-12, 03:06 PM
Irene frowns. This boded poorly. She closed her eyes shortly as she walked along, trying to focus on the task at hand. Get to the prisoner, get him to talk. Get to Scarlet and get out with her using his tricks. Simple. Concentrate. Focus.

AmberVael
2009-05-12, 03:11 PM
Images begin flicking towards Irene's mind, images of the labyrinth, of horrible things that lay within it- sycophantic ghosts that have been warped by the presence of the voice- prisoners trapped in their own minds, going mad- the corpse of a man who had been brutally murdered and torn out his own eyes...

Worse yet is the faint, flickering, precognitive sense that she is going to join them- going to go horribly mad and her ghost will haunt the labyrinth alongside them.

Reinholdt
2009-05-12, 03:17 PM
Irene's lip starts trembling. No no no! She... she won't let them. It's her choice. She... is choosing right? Yes! Her choice. Lalalala. She can't hear you.

She concentrates on the snuggles. The Crimson snuggles. Yes. She won't go insane. Not yet. Maybe?