PDA

View Full Version : As Elan would say...

EmeraldPhoenix
2009-05-08, 02:23 PM
Dun Dun Duuuuuuuuun!

I knew it! I knew that the monster in the darkness would have a chance at being good! So now he's either going to blow it, turn good, or accidently mess the whole thing up.

Any way you cut it, I predict that within the next 3 comics (and that's being really generous, in my opinion) the monster in the darkness will be shown. And we'll all find out he was an enchanted chicken or something (just seeing if you were still paying attention).

Thoughts? Ideas? Hopes? Dreams? Chicken Pot Pie?

Kaytara
2009-05-08, 03:10 PM
Well, when the last comic came out a lot of people were arguing that V stood no chance because the MitD is an unknown factor, extremely powerful, and acts as a godzilla reinforcement for Xykon.

This comic introduces Doubt in the MitD's mind. Whatever ends up happening to the MitD, the immediate consequences probably include evening the odds a little in V's favour.

Sure, we don't see the MitD changing his mind for certain, but to me that's just the same way we didn't see Haley's Sending reach Durkon for certain. It's left ambiguous to introduce tension but the very fact that it's been introduced is indication enough that SOMETHING is going to happen.

However, it occurs to me that the MitD probably can't officially join the good guys because we have a Chekov's Gun from SoD that has yet to fire - the MitD has been enchanted by Xykon to eat Redcloak and spit out the phylactery should the latter ever betray them.

Which, on further consideration, kills my theory of "O-Chul knows where the phylactery is and will now help V destroy it", unless Redcloak chooses this moment to turn against Xykon.... which, now that I think about it, isn't TOO unlikely, since Vaarsuvius looks like just another powerful evil mage who may also fall bait to the Plan the same way Xykon did. Except the timing doesn't seem right for that... Ah well.

liooil2000
2009-05-08, 03:29 PM
:mitd: might not be revealed. I feel it's still a bit too early... I know :mitd: will do something though.

David Argall
2009-05-08, 07:17 PM
I knew it! I knew that the monster in the darkness would have a chance at being good! So now he's either going to blow it, turn good, or accidently mess the whole thing up.

He can manage all of the above, tho turning good at this point is unlikely. The MitD will likely remain too dumb to be either good or evil.

Juron Pilo
2009-05-08, 07:23 PM
Thats... actually likely.
If it does happen I expect Xycon to make another football quip about it.

DimJim
2009-05-08, 07:24 PM
He can manage all of the above, tho turning good at this point is unlikely. The MitD will likely remain too dumb to be either good or evil.

He's probably got a huge potential, he just needs to work with people who don't feed him to shut up. I'm pretty sure playing Go with O-Chul has made him smarter.

If he stays with people who can teach him well, he could probably be as intelligent as V is (18 if I can remember correctly) in 50 or less strips.

The MitD can't be something too amazing, because he wants to be seen. An extremely awesome-looking creature would probably want to stay out of sight just so its suspenseful appearance is ten times more epic.

Wait, are we sure the MitD is male? He might even be another androgynous character.

Felyndiira
2009-05-08, 07:29 PM
I'd more expect MitD to deter V in the course of the next comic, actually. It's possible heel-face turn only had two or three comic pages to play itself out, and for him to experience the drastic turn within the rapid-plot-train(tm) moment upon seeing questionable-morals V is a bit anti-climatic to all of his development towards the good alignment.

I can see him helping V escape should the latter (very likely) get hir butt wiped by Xykon due to plot armor, though.

xyzzy
2009-05-08, 08:52 PM
Well, when the last comic came out a lot of people were arguing that V stood no chance because the MitD is an unknown factor, extremely powerful, and acts as a godzilla reinforcement for Xykon.

This comic introduces Doubt in the MitD's mind. Whatever ends up happening to the MitD, the immediate consequences probably include evening the odds a little in V's favour.

Sure, we don't see the MitD changing his mind for certain, but to me that's just the same way we didn't see Haley's Sending reach Durkon for certain. It's left ambiguous to introduce tension but the very fact that it's been introduced is indication enough that SOMETHING is going to happen.

However, it occurs to me that the MitD probably can't officially join the good guys because we have a Chekov's Gun from SoD that has yet to fire - the MitD has been enchanted by Xykon to eat Redcloak and spit out the phylactery should the latter ever betray them.

Which, on further consideration, kills my theory of "O-Chul knows where the phylactery is and will now help V destroy it", unless Redcloak chooses this moment to turn against Xykon.... which, now that I think about it, isn't TOO unlikely, since Vaarsuvius looks like just another powerful evil mage who may also fall bait to the Plan the same way Xykon did. Except the timing doesn't seem right for that... Ah well.

You're assuming that Redcloak will betray Xykon while Monster-san is there. Vaarsuvius could lose a splice, be forced to admit magic couldn't stop Xykon completely and teleport O-Chul and Monster-san out.

Redcloak can still betray Xykon, just as long as Monster-san never finds out.

EmeraldPhoenix
2009-05-09, 09:47 AM
wait wait wait. You guys are all acting like V has never seen the Mitd before. NOT TRUE. V will quite possibly recognize it from when the order of the stick fought Xykon in that dungeon. (somebody please make links I'm too lazy.)

Dagren
2009-05-09, 12:20 PM
wait wait wait. You guys are all acting like V has never seen the Mitd before. NOT TRUE. V will quite possibly recognize it from when the order of the stick fought Xykon in that dungeon. (somebody please make links I'm too lazy.)MitD didn't take part in that battle (Obviously). All he did was talk in the background. And V was paralysed most of the fight anyway. I doubt V will remember.