PDA

View Full Version : [IC] Archaeologists of the Chimeric City

souldoubt
2009-05-08, 02:57 PM
A few low-glowing wall sconces combine with the slanting afternoon light to illuminate the first floor of the Historical Society's curatorial chambers. Standing in the cleared space in the middle of the room, surrounded by tables and benches cluttered with the paraphernalia of the Society's purpose, you wait patiently for the appointed time when your group will be given its first field assignment.

Someone from the Society will be meeting you to lay out the details of your expedition. Feel free to get acquainted with each other in the meantime. If you want to discuss who might or might not already know each other, please use the OOC thread.

Sagittarius
2009-05-08, 04:36 PM
Yian Zhoang stand uncomfortably in a half-crouched position between the scattered documents and equipment, shifting his weight from one leg to the other every now and then. He picks up a few of them that look interesting to him but is quick to put them back when he is seen studying them by someone else.

Vox Clamantis
2009-05-08, 05:14 PM
In the center of the room stands an older man with deep bags under his eyes and skin long since darkened by the sun. Long dyed cotton robes hang down to his sandals, and a leather bag slung over one shoulder is obviously packed with books. It is a weight he seems perfectly accustomed to.

Despite his apparent lack of rest, Menetnashte's dark eyes flick around the room with tireless vigor, an agreeable expression seemingly fixed beneath hooded and deeply cynical eyes. This is clearly a man who's passed through the extended drama of youth with aplomb, and without any diminution of energy or interest.

Glyphic
2009-05-08, 06:36 PM
Grazia

Grazia lingers by the docks, watching the traffic with fond eyes. She's spent three fortnights within the Historical Society's home. She's often seen in the library over-looking the Caravanserai and docks, or wedging her way into conversations of old expeditions or recovered artifacts. She's spent considerable time trying to stalk a 'metal humanoid', but hasn't introduced herself.

The neon-blue and white spirit-snake twines about her, bringing it's phantom maw to it's ear, issuing sibilant sounds. With a nudge of affection, her own maw passes through the spirit, as she stirs from her vantage point.

She lets her eyes wander, as she strides before Menetnashte. Bending into an awkward curtsy-bow, she looses her forked-tongue and low-voice, "Salve, Menetnasshte, to glimpse upon your visage. Your presence here, I hope is one of companionsship. I owe you gentle thanks, for loans received."

She straightens, reaching the full capacity of her lanky stature. As she talks, her hands weave through the air, "This ceremony makes spirits hum with excitement. Have you, Menetnashte, left study and sought sites and fanes of history before this time?"

The phantom stretches, as it leans away from Grazia's back. Its gold-hued eyes stare across the room at Yian.

Born with a skeletal frame and little meat to her, Grazia looms at a height of 6'5". Her matte, olive-green skin segments and cracks, like an ever-shifting rash. Her thin limbs crinkle with her every movement. Withered curls of blue-black hair hang from her skull, reaching just past where her ears would be. Below her gleaming black eyes reaches a stubbed snout, the rest of her face is smooth and vacant.

Her garb is a taught collection of leathery hides; a constricting skirt clings to her slight legs, while a twice wrapped shawl hides her torso from sight. Sinewy strips of rawhide cover the soles of her feet, then weave their way to her knees. Typically, a ghost neon-blue serpent of with alternating white and teal scales twists around her, bearing a set of sharp fangs.

Vox Clamantis
2009-05-08, 09:42 PM
The browned old man returns a short bow, giving a smile that just barely touches his eyes. Their is a slow, almost lazy, quality to his manner of speaking that belies the intensity of his gaze.

Oh, it's nothing. I've never found much use for coin, anyway. You know what they say: money can't buy everything. His eyes tighten a little as he says it. No, I don't usually venture into the field. I wouldn't be doing it now, either, if I'd found what I was looking for among the volumes already recovered.

What of yourself? Much field experience?

Glyphic
2009-05-08, 11:13 PM
Grazia

Her response is a laugh so dry, it could peel skin, "Aside from being born within it?" With a coaxing hand, she pulls her spirit back onto her shoulders, "For the ssosiety, this venture is my first. I am not coddled."

Pausing the conversation, her tongue phwips tasting the atmosphere. With an outstretched hand, she beckons the tattooed giant (Yian) near-by, "You seem.. unsettled. The spirits whisper of your name. I am Grazia."

Sagittarius
2009-05-09, 04:45 AM
Yian Zhoang shifts his weight one last time to rest his weight on his calves in a semi-sitting cross-legged position that brings his eye level just below Grazia's. He resists the urge to look down to see whether he has just broke or scattered anything and bows his head slightly to the slender shaman. "I hope to have found my balance now, thank you." Under his greyish brown skin he blushes slightly as he notices that his discomfort has been that visible to others. "I am Yian Zhoang of the Lastborn. It is a pleasure to meet a sister in this place who has not forgone her connection to the earth." Just as he speaks the last words, the rubescence becomes even stronger as he realizes Menetnashte's presence. His voice stutters a bit as he turns to the older man. "...w-which was not to be an insult in y-your direction. Not in... no way." Embarassed, he looks at the floor before Menetnashte's feet.

BDEYE
2009-05-09, 08:58 AM
K'aslem arrives a little late. He's wearing his work clothes. He sits down on the floor and leans against an empty spot on the wall. He is completely comfortable- this is home. He listens to the other talk without bothering to introduce himself.

Glyphic
2009-05-09, 11:10 AM
Grazia

Expressionless, Grazia's eyes drift over Yian for a minute. A blue puff of smoke appears, her serpent slips back into the spirit realm "Forgone or forgotten, the earth claimsus still, for it is her we return to when our souls are snuffed" she hisses, as her careless hand touches Yian's shoulder, "Transgression, null. Your markings snatch my curiosity. You will tell me about them, whenst time is idle."

Vox Clamantis
2009-05-09, 03:52 PM
Menetnashte simply shrugs, a movement somewhat inhibited by the bag hanging off one shoulder. It's a careless gesture, but he never actually takes his eyes off the bigger man. No offense taken, I'm sure. Men of my profession are more likely to have their eyes fixed upwards than down. The older man's head tilts to one side like that of a curious animal. But what is your profession, if you don't mind my asking?

souldoubt
2009-05-09, 09:36 PM
The sound of footsteps on the corner staircase heralds the arrival of two men. The first man has a calm demeanor and immaculate appearance, his head shaven in the Gizan style, his double-lidded, ruby-colored eyes blinking in the dim afternoon light. A series of scoot-like scales run from his chin down his throat and into his collar. Most of you recognize him as the Head Curator, Omacatl Coatzin of Tolan, in Westtel; he appears to be in his thirties, but may be older than he looks.

The second is a much larger, middle-aged man dressed in the style of a Northtel militiaman. None of you know him but you have witnessed him striding purposefully around the Society grounds as if he has somewhere to be, always giving the impression that he has a great deal of business to attend to, or an equally great deal of energy, or both. A startling array of old white scars mar the black skin of his arms, legs, and chest, and he wears a patch over his right eye. Small horns point upward from the far corners of his eyebrows, mirrored by another pair pointing down from beneath either side of his jaw. He surveys the group.

"This is them, then?" he asks Omacatl. The Head Curator nods, though he purses his lips, obviously irked by the other man's informality; he steps forward to address you.

Omacatl
"Welcome. As most of you know, I am Omacatl Coaztin, Head Curator. This is the Field Master, Euthymios. He will tell you the details of your assignment. From what I understand there may be some danger involved, but nothing you shouldn't be able to handle.

"First, however, I wanted to go give each of you a copy of the Findings Policy, since I know this is your first expedition. You agreed to the policy when you joined the Society, but I thought you might want to peruse it again when you have a moment."

Omacatl hands you each a sheaf of paper, then steps back and allows Euthymios to take the floor.

Findings Policy of the Historical Society:
All findings you make on expedition are, of course, the property of the Historical Society. This excludes unworked metal and gems, which are considered salvage and do not need to be handed over to the curators. Qualifying finds will be valued, and the appropriate monetary sum will be divided equally amongst the group to be added to each surveyor's personal store of Society credit. For items that might prove useful on future expeditions, working replicas can be requested from the curatorial artificers.

Signed,
Emuishere Mubarak, Mistress of the Historical Society
Omacatl Coatzin, Head Curator

OOC Meta-stuff:
Basically this doesn't penalize you at all in terms of wealth or items you collect. You also won't have to seek out venues to sell loot, unless it's loose gems or unworked metal, which can be pawned easily in the caravanserai.
The battle-scarred Field Master strokes the horns on his jaw as he studies you while he speaks, launching into his description without preamble.

Euthymios
"You'll be traveling southwest by boat to a settlement just outside Angkor. Apparently some looters were excavating in a sewer underneath the place and broke in on some sort of nest of beasts. Riled the creatures up real good, too. All the residents fled. No sign of the looters; probably dead, poor stupid bastards.

"The Angkor militia's promised to go in and clean the beasts out, but they'll delay as long as they can. In the meantime, I want you lot -- you surveyors, that is -- to go in and try and find whatever it was those looters were looking for. They may have botched things, but word is that the looters were professionals with information, not just some fly-by-night hacks mucking about at random, so there's bound to be something down there. If the militia gets there ahead of us, there's not likely to be anything left afterwords.

"Any questions?" His gaze sweeps across you again.

((PS - Long post is long.))

Vox Clamantis
2009-05-10, 02:24 AM
The sun-browned priest raises one finger to get Euthymios' attention and, having it, coughs to clear his throat before speaking.

You said they were professionals with information. Do we know what that information was? Do we have any idea why they were excavating there? Are there any other, more legitimate excavations going on near that spot? Rather than just rattling off questions, he gives the impression of asking the same question from several angles in order to clarify his true point.

Glyphic
2009-05-10, 05:08 AM
Grazia

Abuzz with excitement, Grazia lends her short words to the flow of conversation, "Engaged, rules. When we arrive first, will there be concern that Angkor men will find opportunity, to reclaim what we claim? And what manner of beasts reside?"

Sagittarius
2009-05-10, 06:38 AM
Yian Zhoang looks uncomfortable when their task is explained. "If I may ask... I told you that there are one or two groves in the Angkorian jungle that are taboo to all but our elders..." ('and veteran champions...something which I could have been already', he adds silently) "...so if it was possible, I would like to know where this place is, if there might be any problems."

BDEYE
2009-05-10, 08:26 AM
K'Aslem has nothing to add. He stands up, ready to go as soon as the others are ready.

souldoubt
2009-05-10, 10:31 AM
Euthymios

You said they were professionals with information. Do we know what that information was? Do we have any idea why they were excavating there? Are there any other, more legitimate excavations going on near that spot?

"The information we have is that they were there, but not why, exactly. Omacatl suspects their aim was a tomb or series of catacombs, but it's his job to speculate, not mine. There haven't been any Historical Society expeditions near there in quite some years now."

"Engaged, rules. When we arrive first, will there be concern that Angkor men will find opportunity, to reclaim what we claim? And what manner of beasts reside?"

"No on should contest your claim; the risk is of the Angkor militia looting the area before we arrive and then denying it, if we don't act now. As I said, they'll delay as long as possible, giving you time to do your work.

"As to the beasts, rumors spread and grow like fire, obscuring the truth. I've heard some far-fetched reports of 'giant insects,' but it's probably just a colony of overgrown sewer rats."

"If I may ask... I told you that there are one or two groves in the Angkorian jungle that are taboo to all but our elders..." ('and veteran champions...something which I could have been already', he adds silently) "...so if it was possible, I would like to know where this place is, if there might be any problems."

"It's just a satellite settlement northeast of Angkor. Families were living and working there, so I can't imagine it was taboo."

Sagittarius
2009-05-10, 11:21 AM
Yian Zhoang nods relieved but doesn't reply to Euthymios.

Vox Clamantis
2009-05-10, 12:23 PM
Apparently satisfied, the priest lifts the strap of his bag over his shaven pate to the other shoulder and looks around the room as if waiting for something.

Well, that's good enough for me. Who'd like to lead the way?

Glyphic
2009-05-10, 03:19 PM
Grazia

Grazia's obsidian eyes gleam, as she swirls her hand in the air, "Waterways, caverns, rodents and treasure? Fitted, I am, for each." With a clumsy curtsy, her maw turns to a thin smile, "Omacatl Coaztin, Euthymios, we will honor the society, or die in our beloved fields."

As she slithers to the docks, she directs blunt words to the fourth member (K'Aslem), "Spit out your name; The metal human speaks more than you."

souldoubt
2009-05-11, 10:45 AM
The Docks

The channel and docks team with activity, and the air is filled with the smell of fish brought down from Northtel, overripe after the long journey.

A man approaches you. His wiry-muscled limbs swing in an oddly double-jointed manner, and a collection of throwing knives protrude haphazardly from loops in his wide leather belt.

"You the Society-folk lookin' for passage to Easttel?" he asks, running a knobby-knuckled hand through his short bristle of hair. His accent is Easttel, but not Anyang or Angkor -- probably from a nomadic tribe.

BDEYE
2009-05-11, 04:32 PM
"K'aslem," K'aslem says, not sure what she's so upset about. This is a job, not a mixer. He addresses the tribesman."We are they."

Vox Clamantis
2009-05-11, 06:12 PM
Menetnashte edges forward a bit, clearly trying to get a better look at the man.

Did someone tell you we'd be coming?

Glyphic
2009-05-11, 06:27 PM
Grazia

Putting aside naming, Grazia looses a set of soft words, "We would like to be on our way, with swiftness. Show us to our vessel, and we shall ride the waters."

souldoubt
2009-05-11, 06:55 PM
The man nods to Menetnashte. "Master Euthymios said you'd be around today. I'm Nergui." He motions with a sweep of his arm, elbow bending backwards then forwards again. "Follow me then, the boat's this way."

Nergui leads you to shallow-drafted riverboat, about ten feet across and thirty feet long from stem to stern. "This is her," he says. "The Narantuyaa. She'll take us all the way to the outskirts of Angkor. The regular crew's on shore-leave, but if the four of you pitch in it shouldn't take us long to get there."

Glyphic
2009-05-11, 07:07 PM
Grazia

"There's no question; we'll serve as crew to this esteemed vessel.." With a thoughtful look, she queries, "Do you and your Narantuyaa. service all fledgling Archaeologists?"

To her companions, Grazia hisses, "There is a particularly.. ambitious man, we leave behind in this sanctuary. Thunderous, and alive as fire. He needs a humbling lesson, for he sees all the world as his oyster. A singular goal of mine, but not of the most importance, is to upstage him. Help me bring honors to us, and wrack blows in his confidence. I wish no stone unturned, or artifact left glimmering in forgotten cave."

Vox Clamantis
2009-05-11, 08:51 PM
Heading down to the boat, the cotton-robed priest crouches down to inspect the hull.

I expect to be worthless as a mariner, but we'll see.

Sagittarius
2009-05-12, 01:08 AM
Yian Zhoang looks at the boat with a bit of mistrust. "I...uh... have not been carried by one of these so far yet. Does it... will it hold my weight at all?"

souldoubt
2009-05-12, 01:44 PM
Nergui

"Do you and your Narantuyaa. service all fledgling Archaeologists?"

"Old Euthymios commissions me from time to time."

Yian Zhoang looks at the boat with a bit of mistrust. "I...uh... have not been carried by one of these so far yet. Does it... will it hold my weight at all?"

Nergui laughs. "She's meant for hauling cargo; she'll hold you and more. Granted, you are the biggest fellow I think I've ever clapped eyes on. Just... uh, try not to stand up or sit down too fast.

"So, shall we away then?" He gestures across the gangplank, inviting you to board.

Vox Clamantis
2009-05-12, 02:47 PM
Menetnashte climbs aboard without another word. His eagerness diminishes somewhat once he sees the interior of the boat; perhaps he was expecting something more exciting.

Glyphic
2009-05-12, 02:55 PM
Grazia

Grazia smiles at Nergui as she passes, quickly sliding onto the watercraft. She stars to make herself at home, familiarizing herself with the vessel's devices, "Angkor may wait, but I do not. Away, away!"

Sagittarius
2009-05-12, 03:27 PM
Yian Zhoang cautiously enters the vessel with small steps. "How can I work as any assistance for you, Nergui? If possible, that is?"

BDEYE
2009-05-12, 06:01 PM
K'aslem nods politely to the captain and climbs on board.

souldoubt
2009-05-13, 12:11 PM
Nergui boards last, shipping the gangplank before quickly untying the tow-rope and leaping aboard.

"How can I work as any assistance for you, Nergui? If possible, that is?"

"Just follow my lead, do as I tell you, and everything should go smoothly. We shouldn't run into too many hazards on a channel like this."

Nergui unfurls the single sail, takes the tiller, and the craft sets off upstream at a respectable pace.

Glyphic
2009-05-13, 12:34 PM
Grazia

Extending her gangly arm over the side, Grazia tests the water with a quick dip of her fingers. Her reflection smirks back at her from the passing canal.

Turning to K'aslem, she thisses, "We are all new, and respected members to this society.. reservation, K'aslem, so intense, does not serve us well. Where do you hail from?"

BDEYE
2009-05-14, 03:11 PM
"No particular place. I travelled a lot in my youth, but had the good fortune to find the society fairly early on and make myself useful. I don't mean to be standoffish, it's just not very interesting."

Glyphic
2009-05-14, 09:40 PM
Grazia

Leaning forward, Grazia is still intent on discovering more, "And K'aslem.. what brought you into this Society?"

BDEYE
2009-05-15, 06:26 AM
"You've seen those little street children who give directions to tourists? That was me. I got a lot of work from society members. They thought I was endearing so they taught me how to read for the fun of it, I think. How about you?"

souldoubt
2009-05-15, 12:28 PM
Nergui interrupts.

"Shoals ahead." He points up-channel to where a disturbing rippling and turbulence disturbs the surface of the water.

Nergui glances around. "You there," he gestures to Yian. "Take the tiller, keep her dead ahead." Grabbing a long sturdy pole, he runs to the prow of the boat. "Whichever of you can climb and has keen eyesight, get to the top of the mast and tell me what you see."

Glyphic
2009-05-15, 06:41 PM
Grazia coils the rope she held, and sets it aside. She aims an apologetic grin at K'aslem, as Nergui jumps to the bow. With unaccustomed movements, she wraps herself around the mast, "You'd think they could dredge a water way. Shall the spirits divine, subsurface dangers?"

Not even half way up, she somehow manages to wind a rope around her, constricting her breath. A torrent of soft curses follows.

[roll0]
Taking Passive perception at the top (If I make it), for 19.

... Naturally. :smallmad:

BDEYE
2009-05-15, 10:24 PM
K'aslem attempts the climb:

Climb: [roll0]
Passive perception 18

Vox Clamantis
2009-05-15, 11:05 PM
Menetnashte gives no indication that he thought the call to physical action might ever have included him. Something roundabouts the tiller seemed to occupy his rapt attention until somebody else volunteered...

Sagittarius
2009-05-16, 07:20 AM
Yian Zhoang nods and hurries to the back of the boat to take over the tiller. Keeping it steady between his right thigh and upper arm, he observes the climbing attempts of his comrades.

souldoubt
2009-05-16, 12:32 PM
K'aslem sees that a stone tower abutting the channel has collapsed into the water.

For the sake of moving things along, I'm going to assume that K'aslem relays this information.

Everyone please roll Athletics checks. Yian's roll will be the primary roll since he's on the tiller (and has the highest Athletics modifier); the rest of you are aiding him.

"Stay sharp and mark my words," Nergui shouts from the prow of the craft, hefting the sturdy pole. "We're coming up on the first rock now."

Sagittarius
2009-05-16, 12:40 PM
Yian Zhoang flexes his muscles and bows forward while he tries to find a good grip for his feet on the even deck. He tries to bring the tiller into contact with as much of his body as possible and braces himself for the first hit.

((Athletics: [roll0]))

BDEYE
2009-05-16, 06:55 PM
K'aslem does his best to help:

Athletics: [roll0]

Glyphic
2009-05-16, 07:02 PM
Grazia

Emboldened by failure, Grazia launches herself into the of diverting the ship, after cutting her way free of ropes and restraints.

[roll0]

souldoubt
2009-05-17, 09:25 PM
Nergui uses the pole to punt away from one obstruction, but as he does the boat veers towards a second outcropping of broken masonry. Grazia throws her weight against the opposite railing, and the boat yaws away just in time. A faint vibration in your feet signals that something scraped the keel, but otherwise everything seems fine. The shoals of the toppled tower prove to be narrow, and you make it through to the other side without capsizing or tearing a hole in the hull.

The day wears on, and as the sun begins to set Nergui directs the craft out of the main current and ties her to a sturdy tree bursting from the stony wall of the channel. Nergui yawns hugely. "Well, you lot can bump around in the dark but I've had a day of it and I'm all for sleep. Bunk where you will if you've a similar aim, and don't fall overboard if you're not." He trundles off to the yurt-like hutch at the rear of the boat, disappearing behind the door-flap with a mutter of something about "inexperienced crews."

BDEYE
2009-05-17, 09:37 PM
K'aslem finds a spot on the deck where he can get his back to a wall, sits down, and closes his eyes. No blankets, no pillow. His hand comes naturally to rest on his hip, near one of his daggers.

Vox Clamantis
2009-05-17, 11:23 PM
After making a few perfunctory evening supplications, Menetnashte brushes off a patch of the deck, spreads a blanket, and falls asleep reading one of his books.

Sagittarius
2009-05-18, 01:54 PM
Yian Zhoang looks longingly at the vegetation behind the masonry. Each day that would force him to stay separated from the earth would be a hard one. He represses the urge to wander around the deck during his watch - surely it would just wake up the others - and slumps down in a corner instead, letting his eyes drift across the horizon.

souldoubt
2009-05-18, 04:31 PM
Yian's watch passes without incident, and he wakes Grazia to take over.

In the dead of night, Grazia hears a faint scrabbling noise coming from the outside of the hull.

Glyphic
2009-05-18, 06:44 PM
Grazia

With a nudge from the butt of her spear, Grazia attempts to rouse K'aslem with the butt of her spear, Grazia thisses in a low voice, "Awaken, warrior. I need your blades and your eyes.."

With a moment of concentration, she holds her leathery hand in the air, emanating a soft blue fire. From it grows her spirit, taking life beside her. This time, her snake is stout as a strong oak, and coiled as long as three rods of rope. Together, they approach the sound, looking into the darkness. (If there's a convenient light source , she'll grab it.)

souldoubt
2009-05-19, 01:51 PM
Grazia snatches a lantern hanging from a hook on the mast, and pads to the railing, peering over the side. The flame from the lantern flickers back at her from the water, and from two reptilian eyes staring up at her from a small saurian face.

(Combat time. Surprise round. :smallamused:)

A compact, muscular velociraptor vaults up onto the deck from the other side of the boat, it's eyes and claws gleaming in the dim light, the lantern illuminating its emerald scales.

Suprise Round Initiative Count
22 - Sturdy raptor (V)
21 - K'aslem
???
12 - Grazia
???

(Having been asleep, Yian and Menetnashte are considered surprised and do not get to act in the surprise round. Edit: You spend the surprise round waking up and getting to your feet, more or less.)

{table]B|-|A|-|T|-|T|-|L|-|E|-|-|-|G|-|R|-|I|-|D
xy|01|02|03|04|05|06|07|08|09|10|11|12|13|14|15|16 |17|18|19|20
01|__|__|__|__|__|__|_I|_I|__|_O|_W|_W|_W|_W|_W|_W |_W|_W|_W|_W
02|__|__|__|__|__|__|_I|_I|__|_O|_W|_W|_W|_W|_W|_W |_W|_W|_W|_W
03|__|__|_I|_O|_O|__|__|__|__|_O|_W|_W|_W|_W|_W|_W |_W|_W|_W|_W
04|__|__|_I|_O|_O|__|__|__|__|_O|_W|_W|_W|_W|_W|_W |_W|_W|_W|_W
05|__|__|_I|__|__|__|__|__|__|_O|_W|_W|_W|_W|_W|_W |_W|_W|_W|_W
06|__|__|__|__|__|__|__|__|__|_O|_W|_W|_W|_W|_W|_W |_W|_W|_W|_W
07|__|__|__|__|__|_O|__|__|__|_O|NT|_T|_W|_W|_W|_W |_W|_W|_W|_W
08|__|__|__|__|__|_O|_O|__|__|_O|M_|Y_|_W|_W|_W|_W |_W|_W|_W|_W
09|_I|_I|_I|__|__|_O|__|__|__|_O|__|__|_W|_W|_W|_W |_W|_W|_W|_W
10|_I|_I|_I|__|__|__|__|__|__|1O|G_|K_|_W|_W|_W|_W |_W|_W|_W|_W
11|_I|_I|_I|__|__|__|_O|__|__|_O|S_|__|_W|_W|_W|_W |_W|_W|_W|_W
12|_I|_O|_O|__|_O|__|__|__|__|_I|__|V_|_W|_W|_W|_W |_W|_W|_W|_W
13|_I|_O|_O|__|_O|_O|__|__|__|_O|_W|_W|_W|_W|_W|_W |_W|_W|_W|_W
14|_I|_O|_O|__|_O|_O|__|__|__|_O|_W|_W|_W|_W|_W|_W |_W|_W|_W|_W
15|_I|_I|_O|__|_O|_O|__|_O|__|_O|_W|_W|_W|_W|_W|_W |_W|_W|_W|_W
16|_I|_I|_I|__|__|__|__|_O|__|_O|_W|_W|_W|_W|_W|_W |_W|_W|_W|_W
17|_I|_I|_I|__|__|__|__|__|__|_O|_W|_W|_W|_W|_W|_W |_W|_W|_W|_W
18|_I|_I|_I|__|__|_O|__|__|__|_O|_W|_W|_W|_W|_W|_W |_W|_W|_W|_W
19|_O|_O|_O|__|__|_O|__|__|_O|_O|_W|_W|_W|_W|_W|_W |_W|_W|_W|_W
20|_O|_O|__|__|__|_O|__|__|_O|_O|_W|_W|_W|_W|_W|_W |_W|_W|_W|_W[/table]

Map Legend:

You and your opponents are represented by appropriately colored letters (or numbers in the case of the "1" representing the raptor that Grazia first spotted scrabbling up the side of the boat).

The rectangular wedge that you and the sturdy raptor are all standing on is the boat. There is a drop from the boat's deck to the "bank" to the west; crossing between the boat and the land requires an Athletics or Acrobatics check.

Terrain:
W = The water of the channel surrounding the boat.
T = The tent that Nergui is in.
O = Obstructed or otherwise difficult terrain.
I = Blocked or otherwise impassable terrain. The "I" at the bottom corner of the "boat" is tree that the boat is tied to.

It is now K'aslem's turn.

Edit: Keep in mind that you can only take one action in a surprise round (though you can still take free actions, of course).

BDEYE
2009-05-19, 03:51 PM
K'aslem awakes, sees the creature, draws his bow, and fires two arrows, in the span of a single breath.

Hunter's Quarry on the raptor.
Two-Fanged Strike on the raptor, two attacks Dex vs. AC:

Attack 1:
Attack- [roll0]
Damage- [roll1]
Hunter's Quarry- [roll2]

Attack 2:
Attack- [roll3]
Damage- [roll4]

3 extra damage is both attacks hit (K'Aslem's Wisdom bonus)

Glyphic
2009-05-19, 07:27 PM
BDeye! One Action! Drawing something is an action. Firing is an action. Using hunters quarry is another action!
It's a surprise round, so we only get one action!

Grazia

Grazia grins to herself, as the lantern sways back and fourth in her grip. She sweeps her hand through the night air, as she snap out a shout of alarm, "Yian, Menetnashte! Nergui ! Shadows swim though the shallows, tonight!"

Springing from its coil, Grazia's spirit lashes out at the raptor on deck.

Free action: Identify what we're up against. [roll0]
Freer action: Yelling at people. If that's a minor, screw it >.>
Standard: Haunting spirits, K'aslem getting the bonus.
[roll1]
[roll2]

At-Will ✦ Implement, Primal, Psychic
Standard Action Ranged 5 Target: One creature
Attack: Wisdom vs. Will
Hit: 1d6 + Wisdom modifier psychic damage. Until the end of your next turn, the target grants combat advantage to an ally of your choice.

BDEYE
2009-05-19, 07:50 PM
((K'aslem has Quick Draw. Sorry about the Hunter's Quarry, I'll take that one back.))

souldoubt
2009-05-20, 01:44 PM
((Grazia's turn actually comes later in the round, thus the '???' before her initiative count; I will detail the events before, during, and after her action in order.))

@Glyphic (Nature check results)
You are able to identify the two creatures you have seen as velociraptors, small agile hunters who are uncommonly clever. They hunt in packs, using their innate cunning and sharp claws to take down prey, but have also been known to throw rocks with deadly accuracy.

K'aslem's first shot whizzes past the sturdy raptor's plumed head, but the second arrow lodges in its shoulder, eliciting a shriek of pain and rage.

K'aslem and Grazia can hear other creatures moving about in the darkness around the boat. Another raptor, this one reddish-hued, scrabbles up onto the deck from the channel-side between K'aslem and Yian. The smaller raptor the Grazia first spotted scoots fearfully away from her spirit companion (this does not provoke its reaction attack, since the raptor was below him, out of range), and clambers onto the deck on Grazia's other side.

A stone whizzes out of the darkness from the land-side and passes harmlessly through Grazia's spirit companion. Ignoring the attack, the ghostly snake launches itself at the sturdy raptor (V), a flock of ghostly forms bursting from its fanged mouth and circling around raptor in a clawing mass; the raptor shrugs off the apparitions with seemingly no ill effects.

Another rock flies out of the darkness and past Menetnashte's head as he clambers to his feet.

A second reddish raptor climbs aboard over the prow of the boat, and a third over the railing from the channel, dripping cold water on the deck.

08|__|__|__|__|__|_O|_O|3_|__|_O|M_|Y_|_W|_W|_W|_W |_W|_W|_W|_W
09|_I|_I|_I|__|__|_O|__|__|__|_O|1_|1_|_W|_W|_W|_W |_W|_W|_W|_W
10|_I|_I|_I|__|__|__|__|__|__|_O|G_|K_|_W|_W|_W|_W |_W|_W|_W|_W
11|_I|_I|_I|__|__|__|_O|__|__|_O|S_|3_|_W|_W|_W|_W |_W|_W|_W|_W
12|_I|_O|_O|__|_O|__|__|__|__|_I|2_|V_|_W|_W|_W|_W |_W|_W|_W|_W
13|_I|_O|_O|__|_O|_O|__|2_|__|_O|_W|_W|_W|_W|_W|_W |_W|_W|_W|_W

Initiative Count and Turn Sequence:
22 - Sturdy/green raptor
21 - K'aslem
21 - Red raptor 1
17 - Yellow raptor 1
15 - Yellow raptor 2
14 - Nergui
12 - Grazia
11 - Yellow raptor 3
10 - Yian
10 - Menetnashte
9 - Red raptor 2
7 - Red raptor 3

((Yellow raptors 2 and 3 have concealment.

Regular combat begins now. Please post when your turn comes up.))

The sturdy raptor slashes at Grazia's spirit companion, it's scythe-like foot-claw passing harmlessly through the insubstantial snake-form.

K'aslem's turn.

BDEYE
2009-05-20, 04:47 PM
K'aslem drops his bow. By the time it hits the deck of the ship there are three daggers flying through the air towards his enemies.

Blinding Barrage targeting Red Raptors 2 and 3 and the Sturdy Raptor. Dex vs. AC. Any of the three targets that are hit are blinded until the end of K'aslem's next turn. Combat advantage against Red Raptors 2 and 3 due to First Strike, declaring sneak attack damage against Red Raptor 3.

Attack roll, damage:

Sturdy Raptor: [roll0], [roll1]

Red Raptor 2: [roll2], [roll3] ((Half damage on a miss, not blinded))

Red Raptor 3: [roll4], [roll5]
Sneak Attack: [roll6]

souldoubt
2009-05-20, 11:11 PM
The sturdy raptor and the red raptor nearest K'aslem (3) take daggers to their brows; blood runs profusely from the sturdy raptors wounds (i.e. he is "bloodied"). The red raptor near the boat's prow is only nicked in the tail.

The red raptor on K'aslem's other side comes to his pack-mates' aid, slashing at K'aslem's back with a claw. (Take 3 damage.)

The yellow raptor by Grazia swipes at her, but misses. Another sharp stone bounces off the railing near Menetnashte.

The tent at the aft of the boat flies open and and Nergui's wide-eyed face looms out. Cursing, he pulls a knife from his belt and throws it past Menetnashte with a quick flick of his double-jointed arm, pinning the yellow raptor to the deck, killing it instantly. (Yellow raptor 1 is dead.)

09|_I|_I|_I|__|__|_O|__|__|__|_O|__|1_|_W|_W|_W|_W |_W|_W|_W|_W
10|_I|_I|_I|__|__|__|__|__|__|_O|G_|K_|_W|_W|_W|_W |_W|_W|_W|_W

Grazia's turn.

Glyphic
2009-05-21, 01:49 AM
Grazia

Holding her spear in one hand, Grazia pivots, clearing her retreat. Her spirit stays it's ground, flashing it's fangs through the gentle fog (and hopefully raptor flesh!)

At-Will ✦ Implement, Primal, Spirit
Standard Action Melee spirit 1
Target: One creature
Attack: Wisdom vs. Fortitude. If the target is bloodied, you
gain a bonus to the attack roll equal to one-half your Intelligence
modifier.
Hit: 1d10 + Wisdom modifier damage. Until the end of
your next turn, your spirit companion can flank with you
and your allies.
Level 21: 2d10 + Wisdom modifier damage.

Move: Shift 1 to 11/09
Standard [roll0]
[roll1]

Minor: [roll2] to see if anything else is going to trouble us. Also, on that Nature check, could I get some types/ general information about what sets them apart; and perhaps some info on their Defenses?

souldoubt
2009-05-21, 11:54 AM
Grazia's keen senses don't detect any other threats beyond those she's already aware of. Her spirit snake's ethereal jaws snap on empty air as it lunges for the bleeding green raptor.

Out of the darkness from the crumbling embankment a stone arcs over Menetnashte's head, aimed for Yian, but he ducks aside.

09|_I|_I|_I|__|__|_O|__|__|__|_O|G_|1_|_W|_W|_W|_W |_W|_W|_W|_W
10|_I|_I|_I|__|__|__|__|__|__|_O|__|K_|_W|_W|_W|_W |_W|_W|_W|_W

Initiative Count and Turn Sequence:
22 - Sturdy/green raptor
21 - K'aslem
21 - Red raptor 1
15 - Yellow raptor 2
14 - Nergui
12 - Grazia
11 - Yellow raptor 3
10 - Yian
10 - Menetnashte
9 - Red raptor 2
7 - Red raptor 3

Yian's turn.

Sagittarius
2009-05-21, 03:25 PM
Yian Zhoang feels the adrenaline rushing through his body. He rises to his feet as quickly as he feels the hull can take it and produces his warhammer while rising. He keeps the momentum and rushes forward to get past the red raptor to the frontline of the battle.

I assume that I have my weapons at least attach to me. If not, scratch everything I write:

Standard Action to Bull Rush Red Raptor 1 into the water away from me and move into its space.

If I succeed: Move Action to shift into the empty space behind the spirit, then Minor Action to mark Red Raptor 3.
If I don't succeed: Mark Red Raptor 1 with a Minor Action, then ready my Move Action to shift towards the frontline if a free space will open during the rest of the round.

Bull Rush roll against the Fortitude of Red Raptor 1: [roll0]

Vox Clamantis
2009-05-21, 03:41 PM
Being an insomniac by nature, Menetnashte had been able to achieve little more than a light doze even during the others' watches. Now stumbling to his feet, he's a good deal more lucid than might be expected.

Just keep your heads, everyone. The gods are with us, after all...

Without moving from the spot where he's standing (on his bedroll), he raises his hand in a disinterested sign. Belying the softness of his voice and the carelessness of his gesture, a violent blast of light envelops the front of the ship and the raptors gathered there.

Standard: Blades of Astral Fire, centered on the spirit's square
[roll0] vs Reflex
[roll1] vs Reflex
[roll2] vs Reflex
Hit: [roll3] radiant damage and the spirit and K'aslem get a +2 power bonus to their AC until the end of my next turn.

Actually, that damage gets a +3 bonus for the Covenant of Wrath class feature.

souldoubt
2009-05-21, 08:14 PM
Easily knocking the red raptor aside over the railing and into the water with a dull splash, Yian successfully repositions himself in the melee.

As Menetnashte calls down heavenly fire, the sturdy raptor and one of the red raptors (2) reel at the onslaught, but the third raptor is unaffected (3). (Red raptor 2 is now bloodied.)

One red raptor (2) attacks Grazia's spirit companion, without effect. The other slashes blindly at Yian, it's claw burying itself in the wood of the deck.

(Round 2)

The sturdy raptor, also blind, lashes out at Grazia's spirit companion, again without apparent effect.

08|__|__|__|__|__|_O|_O|3_|__|_O|M_|__|_W|_W|_W|_W |_W|_W|_W|_W
09|_I|_I|_I|__|__|_O|__|__|__|_O|G_|__|_W|_W|_W|_W |_W|_W|_W|_W
10|_I|_I|_I|__|__|__|__|__|__|_O|Y_|K_|1W|_W|_W|_W |_W|_W|_W|_W

K'aslem's turn.

BDEYE
2009-05-22, 03:59 PM
K'aslem attempts to shove a dagger into the third Raptor's stomach.

K'aslem still has combat advantage against the blinded Raptor. Piercing Strike, Dex vs. Reflex.

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]
SA: [roll2]

souldoubt
2009-05-23, 12:14 PM
The red raptor (3) falls dead, its intestines spilling out onto the deck.

The raptor that Yian pushed off the deck (1) scrambles back aboard across from Menetnashte, slashing at him ruthlessly. (Menetnashte takes 8 damage.)

A stone flies out of the darkness past Yian.

Pulling out a dagger, Nergui stabs at the raptor menacing Menetnashte (1), slicing into its flank.

08|__|__|__|__|__|_O|_O|3_|__|_O|M_|1_|_W|_W|_W|_W |_W|_W|_W|_W
10|_I|_I|_I|__|__|__|__|__|__|_O|Y_|K_|_W|_W|_W|_W |_W|_W|_W|_W
11|_I|_I|_I|__|__|__|_O|__|__|_O|S_|__|_W|_W|_W|_W |_W|_W|_W|_W

Grazia's turn.

Glyphic
2009-05-23, 07:18 PM
Grazia bites into her maw, as the combat bobs over nocturnal waters. Her companion twists it's head back, holding her gaze. It issues a coarse hiss, as it's ghostly form pulses. Grazia yields to it's demand, and slams the nub of her spear into the deck, whispering, "Take their blood, and spill it on our earth.."

As her hands flourish with calling gesture, she finds herself much too close to a raptor.. but her spirit snake splits in two, and sends their fangs at raptor V, and Red Raptor 2.

Twin Panther Snake strike
Encounter ✦ Implement, Primal
Standard Action Ranged 5
Attack: Wisdom vs. Reflex
Stalker Spirit: If the target is bloodied, you gain a bonus to
the attack roll equal to your Intelligence modifier.

Hit: 1d8 + Wisdom modifier damage. Until the end of your
next turn, you and your allies have combat advantage
when making melee attacks against any enemy adjacent
to your spirit companion.
Effect: Make the attack one more time against the same
target or a different one.

[roll0]
[roll1]

[roll2]
[roll3]
Possible +2 if each are bloodied, from the stalker spirit feature.

By attacking (with a ranged attack), I open myself up to an OA from red raptor 1

No minors, no moves. If people need healing, please call for it!

Those are vs reflex. My rolling has been pretty poor...

souldoubt
2009-05-25, 10:32 AM
The twinned snake jaws snap on empty air as the raptors duck the assault. The raptor threatening Grazia slashes into her (take 5 damage).

A stone skips of the railing past Menetnashte.

Yian's turn.

Sagittarius
2009-05-25, 03:39 PM
Yian Zhoang blushes brightly as he sees the raptor quickly reclimbing onto the deck from below. "Well... that wasn't planned..." he mutters under his breath. Shifting his weight from one foot onto the other, he decides to purse the other ones nonetheless.

Drawing power from the earth, you smash your weapon into
your foe and bolster yourself against attack.
At-Will ✦ Primal, Weapon
Standard Action Melee weapon
Attack: Strength vs. AC
Hit: 1[W] + Strength modifier damage, and you gain tem-
porary hit points equal to your Constitution modifier.

Move action to move in front of red raptor 3 and the big raptor.
Standard action to use Strength of Stone on the sturdy raptor.
Minor action to mark the adjacent raptors.

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

+4 temporary HP for me if I hit

souldoubt
2009-05-26, 10:15 PM
Yian's hammer whips past the sturdy raptor without effect.

Menetnashte's turn.

Vox Clamantis
2009-05-26, 10:20 PM
Menetnashte, still unwilling to budge from above his bedroll, raises his hand again and murmurs something that sounds like it ought to have been shouted at the top of his lungs. An admonition of some kind?

Nevertheless, a bolt of brillaint light splits the air.

Sun Strike at big raptor
[roll0] vs Reflex
[roll1] radiant damage and I will forgo sliding the target.

souldoubt
2009-05-26, 11:21 PM
The red raptor across from Menetnashte swipes at him, but misses. (Opportunity attack.)

Engulfed in white light, the sturdy raptor is incinerated into a pile of bones and dust.

Looking slightly panicked, the red raptor at the prow (2) lashes out at Yian, tearing into his flank (Yian takes 7 damage), then it turns and leaps down off the front of the boat. Yian and Grazia's companion both lunge as the creature turns, and Yian lands a solid blow to its retreating back.

08|__|__|__|__|__|_O|_O|3_|__|_O|M_|1_|_W|_W|_W|_W |_W|_W|_W|_W
11|_I|_I|_I|__|__|__|_O|__|__|_O|S_|Y_|_W|_W|_W|_W |_W|_W|_W|_W
12|_I|_O|_O|__|_O|__|__|__|__|_I|__|__|_W|_W|_W|_W |_W|_W|_W|_W
13|_I|_O|_O|__|_O|_O|__|2_|__|2O|_W|_W|_W|_W|_W|_W |_W|_W|_W|_W

(Round 3.)

Initiative Count
21 - K'aslem - 22/25 hp
21 - Red raptor 1
15 - Yellow raptor 2
14 - Nergui - (doing fine)
12 - Grazia - 19/24 hp
11 - Yellow raptor 3
10 - Yian - 28/35 hp
10 - Menetnashte - 28/28 hp
9 - Red raptor 2

((As you can see, I've added hit point tallies. Please let me know if I've miscalculated anything.))
K'aslem's turn.

BDEYE
2009-05-27, 03:55 PM
K'aslem picks up his bow again, takes a moment to aim, and fires twice at the red raptor.

Move- pick up bow.
Swift- Hunter's Quarry
Standard- Twin Strike- two attacks, Dex vs. AC

Attack 1: [roll0], Damage: [roll1], HQ [roll2]

Attack 2: [roll3], Damage: [roll4]

souldoubt
2009-05-27, 10:40 PM
@BDEYE:
I'm not sure which red raptor you're referring to, but I'm going to assume red raptor 1. Red raptor 2 actually has total cover relative to you currently; you can't even see him over the edge of the boat from where you're standing.
K'aslem's second arrow strikes a telling blow against the red raptor (1). (Critical hit, red raptor 1 is bloodied.) Following the example of its pack-mate, it turns and scampers through the tent and over the back of the boat, landing in the water withe muted splash. Nergui slashes at it as it goes over the edge, but his dagger only hits air.

Another stone flies past Yian's head and and the vague silhouette one of the rock throwers (2) dashes off into the darkness.

06|__|__|__|__|__|__|__|__|__|_O|_W|1W|_W|_W|_W|_W |_W|_W|_W|_W
08|__|__|2_|__|__|_O|_O|3_|__|_O|M_|__|_W|_W|_W|_W |_W|_W|_W|_W
11|_I|_I|_I|__|__|__|_O|__|__|_O|S_|Y_|_W|_W|_W|_W |_W|_W|_W|_W
13|_I|_O|_O|__|_O|_O|__|__|__|2O|_W|_W|_W|_W|_W|_W |_W|_W|_W|_W

Grazia's turn.

((You guys can choose not to pursue the retreating raptors if you so desire.))

Glyphic
2009-05-27, 10:52 PM
Grazia

Still frustrated with her aim, Grazia slashes at the air, calling to her spirit, "Dissipate!" With a jaunt through the spiritual realms, her spirit appears again on land, near the second red raptor. She takes aim, before firing another hex at the second red raptor.

Minor: Dismiss spirit
Minor: Call spirit in 09x13y

Standard:
At-Will ✦ Implement, Primal, Psychic
Standard Action Ranged 5
Attack: Wisdom vs. Will
Hit: 1d6 + Wisdom modifier psychic damage. Until the
end of your next turn, the target grants combat advantage
to an ally of your choice.

K'aslem gains CA on hit.

[roll0] [roll1]

souldoubt
2009-05-28, 08:59 PM
Grazia's attack seems ineffective.

A stone from the bank strikes Menetnashte in the temple as the other stone-chucking raptor hurls a parting shot and follows its companion. (Menetnashte takes 4 damage.)

06|__|__|__|3_|__|__|__|__|__|_O|_W|1W|_W|_W|_W|_W |_W|_W|_W|_W
08|__|__|2_|__|__|_O|_O|__|__|_O|M_|__|_W|_W|_W|_W |_W|_W|_W|_W
11|_I|_I|_I|__|__|__|_O|__|__|_O|__|Y_|_W|_W|_W|_W |_W|_W|_W|_W
13|_I|_O|_O|__|_O|_O|__|__|S_|2O|_W|_W|_W|_W|_W|_W |_W|_W|_W|_W

Yian's turn.

Sagittarius
2009-05-29, 12:51 AM
Yian puts his warhammer back and produces a piece of cloth with which he wipes the blood from around his wound. "Let us not pursue them. They are just another creatures of the city, looking for their meal. They should have learned their lesson not to try their luck with boats."

Vox Clamantis
2009-05-29, 01:02 AM
The bronzed priest looks down at his bedroll, which in his haste he had turned into a crumpled mess. I suppose there's little to be gained from pursuit. He stretches and yawns, the adrenaline retreating swiftly from his aging body. Whose watch was it next?

If nothing else is going to happen, he'll go back to sleep.