PDA

View Full Version : Mind sculpting? [Spell]

Maerok
2006-08-09, 01:39 AM
City Guard: What did he look like, sir?
Apprentice: Well, erm, I don't quite remember. He had a sort of face with two eyes and, that's all I can remember.
Wizard: *sigh* *mutters a few words and makes a hand sign* *A block of blue mist pops into existence, morphing into the perpetrator's face.* That's what he looks like.
[hr]
Mindmap
Illusion(figment)
Level: Brd 1, Sor/Wiz 1
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: 10 ft.
Effect: One 5' cube
Duration: 5 rounds/level (D)
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

This spell creates a 5' cube of semi-transparent mist, in a single color of the caster's choice, floating 2.5' above the ground. No concealment is granted from it and it is always recognized as an illusionl. Touching the image causes it to shimmer from the disturbance like ripples in a pond.

The caster may sculpt the cube mentally, as a free action, to instantly form whatever image or scene they wish to depict in three dimensions and in whatever detail the caster is willing to apply to it. Any 'material' to leave the 5' cube disappears. There is an infinite amount of such 'material' to use however. A particularly unimaginative wizard with little time to spare may have a rather sloppy depiction of a goblin army from a recent mission. A bard could very well choreograph a ballet in a mindmap. But skill ranks do not affect the quality of a mindmap; time and effort do, however.

Mindmap can be made permanent with a permanency spell, at the same cost as dancing lights, but its image cannot be changed afterwards. Any 'animations' are stuck to a single frame.
[hr]
Edit: Something non-evil or necromantic. I need a check-up... *shiver*

TheOOB
2006-08-09, 02:16 AM
I'd say first level, as its essentially a small silent image, but can be used by multiple people and only lasts a minute. Its effects are a little much for a 0 level spell.

Also, the spell is probally an illusion(figment), as it creates an unreal sensory object that is percieved the same by all people sensing it.

I would mention that the the mindmap never appears real, it is always reconized as an illusion.

martyboy74
2006-08-09, 08:17 PM
How could you choreograph a ballet in something that only lasts for 1 minute. Unless that's supposed to be 1 minute/level.

Jack_Simth
2006-08-09, 08:35 PM
It has a fixed range, a non-instantaneous duration, is below a 4th level spell, and is not discharged; ergo, it's persistable. 24 hours enough for a ballet?

martyboy74
2006-08-09, 09:00 PM
...stupid feats from books I don't own...

Jack_Simth
2006-08-09, 09:43 PM
...stupid feats from books I don't own...
Wonderful, wonderful, SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/divineAbilitiesFeats.htm#persistentSpell)