PDA

View Full Version : can the Shrouds of Disintegration kill a Tarrausque

rokar4life
2009-05-08, 10:58 PM
could the Shrouds of Disintegration be used to kill a Tarrausque(spellcheck), because my group has one, and i have a sneaking suspicion that we are going up against one soon. Of course I don't expect it to go all the way around, but could i wrap it around a foot or leg have it disintegrate.

Bulwer
2009-05-08, 11:58 PM
I dunno. Text says "When a body is placed inside," so I'd say no. If your DM is game (I'd advise not telling him until you actually try it, it's a cool idea that I'd let fly around the table), I'd say that you'd need to at least Grapple it first, so if you can make that fly, you should stock up on things to boost Grapple, because that could be a hard one.

EDIT: And change the topic to something like "using Shrouds of Disintregation on the Tarrasque?" so it's more useful.

Chronos
2009-05-09, 12:00 AM
Anything can be used for anything, if the DM wills it, but the description in the books for shrouds of disintegration says that it only works on corpses (which, if you had one in this case, you wouldn't need them), and the Tarrasque's description says that it even regenerates from disintegration. So, so far as anyone but your DM can tell, it wouldn't work.

rokar4life
2009-05-09, 12:54 AM
i know that it regenerates from disintegration, but the its says simply "the body is reduced to dust" not that it is disintegrated as the disintegration spell.

tyckspoon
2009-05-09, 12:59 AM
Does it actually say just 'body', or does it specify that it only works on corpses/dead creatures? If it's the former, it's just another hideously poorly edited item that is inadvertently self-weaponized. It it says corpses, then no, it can't be used to permanently kill the Tarrasque. The Tarrasque does not qualify as a corpse until you Wish it dead. Before that, it's just an unconscious creature and no more qualifies to be disposed of with the Shrouds than a sleeping creature does.

AslanCross
2009-05-09, 06:42 AM
They're burial shrouds, so by RAI, "a body" means a dead body. They should've used "unanimated corpse" instead, but oh well.

Tsotha-lanti
2009-05-09, 06:50 AM
i know that it regenerates from disintegration, but the its says simply "the body is reduced to dust" not that it is disintegrated as the disintegration spell.

That's what the disintegration spell does.

"Any creature reduced to 0 or fewer hit points by this spell is entirely disintegrated, leaving behind only a trace of fine dust."

More importantly, the tarrasque can only be killed by applying a wish. That, and the fact the shrouds only work on corpses (bad choice of words nonwithstanding). And the fact it won't actually cover the tarrasque, and if you did have a large enough shroud, it would just shear it into pieces (magic items made of cloth are spectacularly vulnerable) before you had it wrapped up.

Chronos
2009-05-09, 12:41 PM
i know that it regenerates from disintegration, but the its says simply "the body is reduced to dust" not that it is disintegrated as the disintegration spell.Except that it isn't "The Tarrasque regenerates from a Disintegrate spell", it's "The Tarrasque regenerates from everything, including effects like disintegration". And it's pretty clear that the shrouds are an effect like disintegration, and even clearer that they fall into the category of "everything".

Animefunkmaster
2009-05-09, 12:49 PM
If your DM is game (I'd advise not telling him until you actually try it,

This is bad advise. Ask him now, better now (so the dm can think about it clearly) then in game when there are hundreds of other things on his mind. Trying to pull the wool over the DMs eyes is a good reason for a DM to just shut you down.

Explaining it clearly, with your intended use and your interpretation of just putting a single limb inside will probably get you the best results.

Mando Knight
2009-05-09, 01:15 PM
Explaining it clearly, with your intended use and your interpretation of just putting a single limb inside will probably get you the best results.

If that works, then I'd say that only the limb is disintegrated.

...Wait, Tarrasques regenerate their limbs in 1d6 minutes? Oops. :smallamused:

pingcode20
2009-05-09, 06:13 PM
If that works, then I'd say that only the limb is disintegrated.

...Wait, Tarrasques regenerate their limbs in 1d6 minutes? Oops. :smallamused:

Hey, 1d6 minutes is 10-60 rounds! Imagine what kind of mischief you could get up to in that time!

But my favourite use for a shroud of disintegration would be to turn it into a cloak, then give it to a vampire. They're undead, so they're definitely corpses, and the second they pull the shroud across their faces to go 'Bleh!', BAMF! turned to powder.

BobVosh
2009-05-09, 06:37 PM
Hey, 1d6 minutes is 10-60 rounds! Imagine what kind of mischief you could get up to in that time!

But my favourite use for a shroud of disintegration would be to turn it into a cloak, then give it to a vampire. They're undead, so they're definitely corpses, and the second they pull the shroud across their faces to go 'Bleh!', BAMF! turned to powder.

I would totally allow that. Although probably a save as per disintegration.

Chronos
2009-05-10, 12:14 AM
Although probably a save as per disintegration.Which is still pretty likely to work, against an undead's terrible Fort save.