PDA

View Full Version : Why does Xykon keep the MitD in a box?

Darius1020
2009-05-09, 12:18 AM
Surely there must be a shadowy corner he can stay in (unless the shadows in Azure city are blue too...), so i'm guessing it must be just for humorous purposes

plus, why does the box have bars on it? its not like he couldn't just break it open, it's a cardboard box!

also, does he have telepathy or something, cause he seems to be able to pick up things without showing his arms...

rokar4life
2009-05-09, 12:25 AM
1. yes, everyone knows that blue buildings make blue shadows

2. the bars are because its funnier

3. we don't know, we can assume that it has arms because it can hold a flashlight, otherwise O-Chul is moving the pieces for him.

I LEARNED HOW TO DO SPOILERS

shadzar
2009-05-09, 12:44 AM
Because Xykon wants him to think inside the box, not outside of it. :smallwink:

charl
2009-05-09, 01:27 AM
I think MiTD put himself in a box to get closer to his new friend. Then he built the bars so it looks like a cage. It's an exercise in finding common ground.

Zevox
2009-05-09, 01:53 AM
Well, in Start of Darkness,
he was kept in a box as well, possibly this same one (although there are some minor stylistic differences). Given he was also captured, presumably the one he was caught in was capable of holding him (either that, or he's really just so stupid that he never thought of trying to force his way out...).

Actually, given he asks Xykon on page 96 of SoD if he can be let out of the box, and is disappointed when X responds "no," either the box actually is capable of holding him, or he's just that stupid.

As for Xykon's reason, not sure. If the box really is able to hold him, it makes sense if he doesn't entirely trust MitD - and given what we've seen of what MitD can do, I wouldn't exactly blame him, since it seems he may actually be powerful enough to be a threat X if he ever wanted to, and he is pretty childish, which makes him a bit unpredictable. If it can't hold him... well, only thing I can figure is that Xykon thinks it can because he was held in it when he first met him, and just hasn't realized yet that it can't. Or he's counting on the Monster never learning that it can't.
Zevox

Dagren
2009-05-09, 07:35 AM
I think MiTD put himself in a box to get closer to his new friend. Then he built the bars so it looks like a cage. It's an exercise in finding common ground.I doubt it. (#543 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0543.html), part 2 panel 8) Also, if Xykon thought the box could hold him, he wouldn't be so insistent that he not try to leave it, I would think. I think it's just a replacement for the umbrella. If Xykon had him in there for his safety, why didn't he have him in there before?

NerfTW
2009-05-09, 07:55 AM
He's in there, as pointed out during Xykon's first appearance, because the camera could switch over to them at any moment and spoil the surprise for the reader. The explanation in this case breaks the fourth wall. There's just not any shadows around, and they don't want O-chul telling anyone what the monster is if he gets away.

As for the MitD, he doesn't know that he's incredibly strong. So for all he knows, he can't break out of the box, even though it's simple wood.

Ancalagon
2009-05-09, 09:20 AM
The MitD surely knows it could break the box... but that would be very rudy, which is why it does not do it.

Rowsen
2009-05-09, 09:50 AM
I just figured that MitD stayed in the box because Xykon told him to.

V'icternus
2009-05-09, 10:43 AM
I just figured that MitD stayed in the box because Xykon told him to.

Yeah, that's pretty much my guess, too.

[TS] Shadow
2009-05-09, 10:56 AM
Why are they only keeping him in a box now? Before he was just in a darkness or under the umbrella.

V'icternus
2009-05-09, 11:19 AM
Well, maybe they don't want to open up an umbrella indoors, because in D&D, bad luck can actually involve being disintegrated?

Or maybe it was all for the "out of the box" joke?

Or perhaps the box is the only thing that can contain the MitD's apperantly incredibly powerful farts?

zyphyr
2009-05-09, 11:21 AM
The box has a removable bottom tray. The MitD stays in the box because it makes it easier for the goblins to clean up after him.

FabuVinny
2009-05-09, 11:47 AM
Shadow;6083279']Why are they only keeping him in a box now? Before he was just in a darkness or under the umbrella.Because the Giant didn't think up the box until he wrote Start of Darkness.

I always assumed the main reason was just a little bonus for those who read the book.

Galderon
2009-05-09, 12:13 PM
Monster-san probably wanted his own little fort.

Logalmier
2009-05-09, 12:21 PM
As for Xykon's reason, not sure. If the box really is able to hold him, it makes sense if he doesn't entirely trust MitD - and given what we've seen of what MitD can do, I wouldn't exactly blame him, since it seems he may actually be powerful enough to be a threat X if he ever wanted to, and he is pretty childish, which makes him a bit unpredictable. If it can't hold him... well, only thing I can figure is that Xykon thinks it can because he was held in it when he first met him, and just hasn't realized yet that it can't. Or he's counting on the Monster never learning that it can't.
Zevox

Well, we've seen Xykon using some sort of mind control on the MitD in Start of Darkness, and it's safe to assume that the MitD has a pretty low will save. So I don't think that the MitD would be a real threat to Xykon, unless he manages to pin him before Xykon can cast whatever spell he used to implant those instructions into the MitD's brain.

PId6
2009-05-09, 12:28 PM
Anyone consider the possibility that Xykon is just being mean?

Xondoure
2009-05-09, 12:42 PM
Because he can, and MitD doesn't care.

V'icternus
2009-05-10, 09:02 AM
Monster-san probably wanted his own little fort.

MitD: I'm king in here.

Seriously, though, he does seem to want to come out. Maybe because he hates the darkness. So I'm guessing he's jsut staying in there because he's told to.

Ron Miel
2009-05-10, 01:07 PM
Xykon shall reveal the monster only when the time is right.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0023.html

The monster could get out of the box easily, but has been ordered to stay there.

David Argall
2009-05-10, 03:09 PM
SoD p. 88. "I guess, if I wanted to be rude about it."

Xykon in 23 "the bad guy always keeps his secret weapon cloaked in shadow until the climax." So Xykon is conforming to the rules of drama, and the MitD is too polite to say no.

SteveMB
2009-05-10, 06:24 PM
SoD p. 88. "I guess, if I wanted to be rude about it."

Xykon in 23 "the bad guy always keeps his secret weapon cloaked in shadow until the climax." So Xykon is conforming to the rules of drama, and the MitD is too polite to say no.

I figure that the box is more psychology than real restraint -- Xykon knows how strong the MitD is (if he didn't before, he found out when he refused to buy those Transformers (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0477.html)), but is confident in his ability to psychologically manipulate, as shown by (major SoD spoiler)
his conversation with Redcloak at the end of SoD

Ted The Bug
2009-05-10, 06:35 PM
He stays in the box because that's the only way Xykon will give him stew.
Stewstewstewstewstew!

Shinizak
2009-05-10, 07:38 PM
Because of this :541 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0541.html). He just never bothered to get out of the box because he was told to stay.

Prowl
2009-05-11, 01:50 AM
Because MitB can't think out of the box.

:smallwink:

thubby
2009-05-11, 03:53 AM
just because we never see mitd's arms doesn't mean he doesn't use them. like oh so many characters, it could well be an informed ability