PDA

View Full Version : The Engineer (Peach)

Sissyphus
2009-05-09, 10:41 AM
Can I get some help with balancing this, it's not been play tested but I think it may be a little off

Engineer

Alignment:
Any

Skills:
Knowledge: Arcana, Knowledge: engineering, Craft, Appraise, Climb, Spellcraft
Skill points:
At Start: (4+int modifier) x4
per level: 4+ int mod

Class Features
All of the following are class features of the Engineer

Weapon and Armor Proficiency
An Engineer is proficient with all simple weapons, light armor, siege engines, and crossbows.

Mend:
An engineer may attempt to repair any object, a repair takes one hour, and requires a dc 18 check, add your relevant craft skill to the check (craft: metal for metal, craft wood for wood objects, etc..)Mend attempts if successful have no price, if an object has been burned disintegrated or otherwise entirely destroyed, if 50% of the object can be located then it can be repaired with two mend checks

Improved mend:
A mend check for damage which could be fixed with the spell mend (sorc/wiz 0) can be waved

Make whole: any object which could be fixed with make whole (cleric 2) can be waved for it's dc

Engineering:
An engineer may attempt to build traps, buildings or other devices at 4/5 their price and 1 day quicker per week

Engineering focus:
Engineer learns to better build one type of object, chosen from Table: Engineering focus

Engineering focus
Focus|Reward
Blades|mend dc -2 for swords, gains masterwork dc fabricating, swords
Buildings|+2 to attempts to construct building, +2 to an attempt create building plans|+10 to building hardness
Bridges|+4 to build bridge attempt, -1d4+2 days to construct, +2000 pounds weight Limit
Bows|mend dc -2 for bows, gains masterwork dc fabricating, bows
Siege engines|+4 to craft siege engine check, range increment +1/2, costs reduced to 3/4
Airships|+5 to craft airship checks
Boats|+5 to craft Ship checks
Carts|+5 to craft cart checks
Stonework|+3 to craft stone work checks, master building allows for +5 points hardness
Traps|Traps you build are harder to disarm or disable, +3 to spot, disarm/disable checks
Architecture|+3 to knowledge architecture checks, when using any other Engineering focus you get a +1/2 bonus to it's effects
Chemistry| +3 to alchemy checks, can utilize chemicals more effectively in combat, +2 to damage dealt with chemicals

Build quickly:
you may attempt to build something quickly, but doing only a mediocre job, the object suffers a minus -2 penalty to any variable if you don't make a dc 18 quick build check

Rapid Build:
You gain a +1 modifier to your quick build checks for each rapid build level you have

Utilize Alchemy:
Devices you create involving chemicals gain a +2 bonus

Repair Magic:
You may attempt to repair magic items without destroying it's magic with a mend check with a -8 penalty per level modifier, add spellcraft to the mend check, magic items repaired this way regain their magic properties

Convert Resources:
You may convert up to 2 pounds of one material into another once a day, so long as the new materials total cost is under the number of gp specified on table: Engineer, all the material must be converted at once, if you attempt to create something magical, you must succeed in a dc27 check +spellcraft modifier or you create nothing more than a look-alike.

Crew:
You can higher workers equivalent to your crew modifier to aid you in building something, it takes 2 fewer days per month for each crewman you have

Fabricate:
You may use fabricate with a caster level of 1/2 your engineering level

Minor Creation:
You may expend three fabricate charges to use the minor creation spell with a cl at 1/2 your engineer levels, the spell has no duration (permanent)

Concealed Trap:
You gain the ability to with a architecture check dc 18 conceal your trap in a natural part of the building giving it a +3 to its detect trap check, this effect stacks with all other trap affecting affects

Chemical power:
You can utilize chemicals to produce certain effects namely either a doubling of range and +3 damage to ranged weapons, or granting the dancing ability, both effects consume one ounce of alchemists fire per use, retrofitting an item (or building one) costs 400gp per charge the item can hold, and if the item takes enough damage to be destroyed, it sprays alchemists fire like a vial of it were thrown (deals damage for each ounce)

Contacts:
You can tap contacts in local guilds to gain a 1/10 decrease in price for bulk purchases of construction resources

Masterful Work:
For 2/5 of the price of creating a masterwork item, an object you are repairing or building can be given a +1 masterwork bonus

Repair Construct:
You may attempt to repair a construct 20 points of damage at no price, using a mend check at a -2 penalty per point of damage you wish to repair, add your spellcraft ability to such repairs, magic items repaired this way regain their magic properties

Well Thought Out Trap:
The trap fits perfectly, allowing for a +3 to the detect and disable checks of a trap, this effect stacks with all other trap affecting affects

Artifact Repair:
You may make a mend check at a -4 penalty per ability possessed by an artifact, adding your spellcraft to the Dc, magic items repaired this way regain their magic properties

Add Magic:
When you help a mage in enchanting a object it takes 1/2 the exp and 1/2 gold to enchant, on a craft check dc 27 or higher (relevant crafting check) and a spellcraft check dc 27 or higher you may reduce the the prices to 1/8, a single successful check reduces the prices to 1/4

Master Builder:
You are a master of your craft, all things you build gain a +2 to their variables, and take two fewer days a month to build, When trying to chain traps you gain a +2 circumstance check

Master Fabrication:
you may convert two fabrication slots into either mass fabricate, which allows you to convert a pile of resources into a pile of parts, or two part fabricate, which allows the creation of a object which involves two different materials.

Engineer
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+1|
+1|
+1|
+1| Mend once/day, Engineering, build quickly

2nd|
+1|
+1|
+1|
+1| Rapid Build +1, Utilize Alchemy

3rd|
+1|
+1|
+2|
+1| Repair Magic, convert resource once/month 7 gp limit, crew +1

4th|
+2|
+1|
+3|
+2| Mend twice/day, Fabricate once/day

5th|
+2|
+1|
+4|
+2| Engineering focus, Improved Mend

6th|
+3|
+2|
+5|
+3| Concealed Trap, rapid build +2

7th|
+3|
+2|
+6|
+3| Contacts, Masterful Work

8th|
+4|
+2|
+7|
+4| Mend thrice/day, fabricate twice/day

9th|
+4|
+3|
+8|
+4| Rapid Build +3, Chemical Power

10th|
+5|
+3|
+9|
+5| Engineering focus, Crew +2

11th|
+5|
+3|
+10|
+5| convert resource twice/month 9 gp limit

12th|
+6|
+4|
+11|
+6| Repair Construct, Make Whole

13th|
+6|
+4|
+12|
+6| Well thought out trap, rapid build +4

14th|
+7|
+4|
+13|
+7| Mend four/day, fabricate thrice/day

15th|
+7|
+5|
+14|
+7| Artifact repair, Minor creation

16th|
+8|
+5|
+15|
+8| Engineering focus, Add magic

17th|
+8|
+5|
+16|
+8| Rapid build +5

18th|
+9|
+6|
+17|
+9| mend five/day, fabricate four/day

19th|
+9|
+6|
+18|
+9| Crew +3

20th|
+10|
+6|
+19|
+10| Master Builder, Master Fabrication [/table]

Mend
{table=head]Modifier|Dc
Complex|[center]+2
Simple|-1
Tiny|+3
Small|+2
Medium|0
Large|-1 [/table]

Masterwork Fabrication
{table=head]Modifier|Dc
+1|+21
+2|+24
+3|+27
+4|+30
+5|+33
+6|+35
+7|+38
+8|+41
+9|+44
+10|+47[/table]

Lappy9000
2009-05-09, 11:01 AM
Well, let me be the first to say "Hello and welcome to the boards!" :smallsmile:

If I may, you should check out this link (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10313) to keep the quality of your homebrew up to par (it even shows how to create those snazzy tables).

Few things:

Skill points per level; any reason why it's 3+ instead of 2+ or 4+?
What skill check is necessary to utilize mend? Craft? Profession?
Why not just give Repair Construct as a feat?
What is the role of this class? Just fixing objects isn't exactly a niche so I would suggest a lot of skills (synergies, Skill Focus as bonus feat, possibly some skill mastery that rogues have)
The biggest issue that the class doesn't seem to have a whole lot to offer. Most people who want to make things would just go with Eberron's artificer.

...I'll do some brainstorming and see if I can't think up any more class abilities for ya, k? :smallcool:

Kylarra
2009-05-09, 11:52 AM
It seems like a very NPC class, possible a prestiged expert (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/npcClasses/Expert.htm). The main question is, with so many different skill focuses, why does it get the lowest possible number of skillpoints?

Your saves are also somewhat wonky.

Overall, as a PC-class, the artificer does it better since most PCs aren't involved in large-scale construction.

Rutskarn
2009-05-09, 12:06 PM
Minor nitpick--why would this have to be lawful? People with Neutral and Chaotic personalities don't always just gibber and hoot like monkeys, unable to devote the focus needed to apply their pants in the morning.

Lappy9000
2009-05-09, 12:15 PM
Minor nitpick--why would this have to be lawful? People with Neutral and Chaotic personalities don't always just gibber and hoot like monkeys, unable to devote the focus needed to apply their pants in the morning.Dunno know about you, but I certainly needed help putting on my pants this morning. ;>.>

Rutskarn
2009-05-09, 12:31 PM
Not since I engineered a machine to do so for me, I haven't.

Sissyphus
2009-05-09, 07:02 PM
-Lappy9000
I used the modified repair construct feat because it is based on the engineers pseudo-magical mend ability not rebuilding the constructs missing/damaged parts, other than that fixed the skill points, and reformatted into tables

Emperor Ing
2009-05-09, 07:10 PM
Need a dispenser here. Need a dispenser here. :smalltongue:

Sissyphus
2009-05-09, 07:31 PM
-the Randomizer
Sorry if i sound ignorant, whats a dispenser?

Surrealistik
2009-05-09, 07:47 PM
Move That Gear Up!

Emperor Ing
2009-05-09, 08:00 PM
-the Randomizer
Sorry if i sound ignorant, whats a dispenser?
Its an inside joke, anyone familiar with Team Fortress 2 will get it.
WARNING: joke explanation here

The Engineer is a class in TF2 that builds buildings, one of them is the dispenser. Its a building that gives health and ammo to nearby allies. One of the most annoying things a player can do is play as the Scout class and shout 'need a dispenser here' over and over again. :smalltongue:

Sissyphus
2009-05-09, 09:17 PM
Updated to include the engineering focus table
do you think allowing an engineer to gain the Craft Magic Arms and Armor, Craft Rod, Craft Staff, Craft Wand, Craft Wondrous Item, Forge Ring, Scribe Scroll, craft Artifact, and Crate object feats would be over powering (spells would have to be provided by someone else)

I believe most of the early issues have been fixed any new comments?

Sissyphus
2009-05-10, 09:03 PM
If no one else has any changes, I'd like to sidetrack the thread for a moment, and ask what the rules for posting new items/materials are.