PDA

View Full Version : [Class] Brawler

Fax Celestis
2006-07-17, 10:22 PM
This needs a lot, I know, but I don't know where to go from here. EDIT: Finished! Now, tear it to pieces.

The Brawler is a fighter, a melee combatant who prefers to use his fists instead of weapons.

Abilities: Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution are all good abilities for you to have...though Wisdom would be nice as well, considering it helps out some of your abilities.

Races: Brawlers come from all races.

Alignment: Brawlers may be of any alignment.

Hit Die: d10

Starting Gold: 4d4x10 gp.

Starting Age: As fighter (PH 109).

==Class Features==

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Brawlers are proficient with the gauntlet and spiked gauntlet. They are not proficient with shields, and are only proficient with light armor.

Class Skills (4 + Int modifier per level, x4 at 1st level): Balance, Bluff, Climb, Escape Artist, Intimidate, Jump, Listen, Spot, Swim, Tumble

Basic Unarmed Combat: At 1st level, a brawler is as adept with his fists and feet as a warrior is with his sword. He gains the Improved Unarmed Strike and Improved Grapple feats, even if he does not normally qualify for them. His unarmed attacks and attacks while wielding a gauntlet also deal 1d6 points of damage.

Dirty Fighting: At 2nd level, a brawler gains the ability to deal extra damage while fighting unarmed.

The brawler has the option to forfeit all other attacks (including attacks of opportunity) in a round to use a Dirty Fighting attack. The brawler does not have to forfeit all other attacks in a round if he is currently flanking the opponent he is targeting, though he may only use the Dirty Fighting ability once per attack.

To perform a dirty fighting attack, the attacker must declare it prior to their attack roll. They then make a single attack roll at their base attack bonus. If they strike, the brawler rolls an additional d6 of damage. This ability increases to 2d6 additional damage at 5th level, 3d6 at 8th, 4d6 at 11th, 5d6 at 14th, 6d6 at 17th, and 7d6 at 20th. This ability is only usable when a brawler is unarmed, fighting with a gauntlet, or using an improvised weapon.

Stunning Fist: At 2nd level, a brawler learns how to attack specific parts of a creature's anatomy to temporarily paralyze them. He gains the Stunning Fist feat and acquires uses per day as a monk of the same level.

Dodge: At 3rd level, a brawler hones his dodge skills. He gains the Dodge feat.

Improved Unarmed Combat: At 5th level, a brawler becomes more adept with his natural weaponry, as well as learns how to handle improvised weaponry to some degree.

A brawler's improvised weapons deal 1d4 points of damage, plus whatever an unarmed strike deals. Most improvised weapons deal bludgeoning damage, though some deal slashing or piercing. When a brawler rolls a natural 1 while attacking with an improvised weapon, the weapon breaks and is thereafter useless.

In addition, the brawler learns the Improved Disarm feat (even if he doesn't normally qualify for the feat), which is only usable while fighting unarmed, with a gauntlet, or with an improvised weapon. The brawler's unarmed strike damage and attacks while wielding a gauntlet also increases to 1d8.

Mobility: At 5th level, the brawler gains the use of the Mobility feat, even if he doesn't normally qualify for the feat.

Evasion: At 6th level, the brawler gains the ability to dodge opponent's attacks with surprising grace and agility. If he makes a makes a successful Reflex saving throw against an attack that normally deals half damage on a Reflex save, he instead takes no damage. This ability can only be used if the brawler is wearing light or no armor. A helpless brawler does not gain the benefits of evasion.

If the character already has evasion from another source, he instead gains improved evasion instead. Improved evasion works like above, except the brawler takes half damage even on a failed save.

Special Ability: At 9th level (and every three levels thereafter) the brawler gains a special ability from the following list:
*Improved Dirty Fighting: The brawler has become so adept with their dirty fighting maneuvers that they have a chance to weaken their opponents while doing so. Every time a brawler succeeds with a dirty fighting attack, their opponent must make a Fortitude save (DC 10 + 1/2 the brawler class level + the brawler's Wisdom modifier) or take two points of ability damage to Strength, Dexterity, Constitution, or Charisma (brawler's choice). Even if a brawler succeeds on multiple Dirty Fighting attacks in a round, he may only use this ability once per round on an enemy. He still can, however, attack multiple opponents with Dirty Fighting techniques and affect them in this manner.
*Improved Flanking: A brawler who takes this ability gains a +4 attack bonus while flanking instead of the standard +2.
*Improved Reactions: A brawler who takes this ability gains a morale bonus to his initiative equal to half his class level (rounded down).
*No Quarter: This ability may be taken multiple times. Brawlers are known for their "no quarter" style of fighting, but some are more ruthless than others. Brawlers with this ability gain an additional attack of opportunity per round. This ability stacks with the Combat Reflexes feat and is not cancelled by using Dirty Fighting.
*Stellar Reflexes: This ability may be taken multiple times. The first selection of this ability gives the brawler the Spring Attack feat, even if he doesn't normally qualify for the feat. The second purchase gives him the Bounding Assault feat. The third gives him the Rapid Blitz feat.
*Uncanny Dodge: This ability may be taken multiple times. The first selection of this ability gives the brawler the Uncanny Dodge ability. The second selection gives the brawler the Improved Uncanny Dodge ability.

Advanced Unarmed Combat: At 10th level, a brawler learns to manipulate items not normally intended to be weapons with greater skill. The brawler may now used improvised weapons as reach weapons according to their size. Items with many protrusions or holes (like a ladder or chair) grant a +2 bonus to disarm attempts, while objects with large flat surfaces (like tables) can become improvised shields.

In addition, the brawler has learned how to control his reactions well enough that he can deflect arrows. He gains the Deflect Arrows feat (even if he does not normally qualify for the feat), usable while unarmed, fighting with gauntlets, or wielding an improvised weapon. The brawler's unarmed strike damage and attacks while wielding a gauntlet increases to 1d10.

Improved Evasion: At 11th level, the brawler gains the Improved Evasion ability. This works as the Evasion ability, detailed above, except that even on a failed save, the brawler only takes half damage.

Defensive Roll: At 14th level, the brawler gains the ability to survive even the most dangerous effects. Once per day, when he would be reduced to 0 or fewer hit points by damage in combat, the brawler can attempt to roll with the damage. To use this ability, he makes a Reflex saving throw (DC=damage dealt). If this save succeeds, he only takes half the damage. If it fails, he takes full damage. He must be aware of the attack and be able to react to it to use this ability. In addition, the brawler's Evasion ability does not apply to this instance.

Greater Unarmed Combat: At 15th level, the brawler's prowess with improvised weaponry has increased to staggering levels. He deals an additional 1d8 points of damage while attacking with an improvised weapon, instead of the usual 1d4.

In addition, the brawler has learned how to force an opponent to overextend themself in combat. He gains the use of the Robilar's Gambit feat, usable only while unarmed, using gauntlets, or using an improvised weapon. His unarmed strike damage and attacks while wielding a gauntlet increases to 2d6.

Surperior Unarmed Combat: At 20th level, the brawler's prowess with improvised weapons increases to terrifying proportions. He now deals an extra 1d12 points of damage while using an improvised weapon, instead of 1d8.

In addition, the brawler knows how to strike the most critical parts of an opponent. He gains the Crushing Strike and Brutal Strike feats, usable only while unarmed, fighting with gauntlets, or using an improvised weapon. His unarmed strike damage and attacks while wielding a gauntlet increases to 2d10.

Brawler Progression
{table=head]Level | Base Attack Bonus | Fort Save | Ref Save | Will Save | Special
1st | +1 | +2 | +0 | +0 | Basic Unarmed Combat
2nd | +2 | +3 | +0 | +0 | Dirty Fighting (+1d6), Stunning Fist
3rd | +3 | +3 | +1 | +1 | Dodge
4th | +4 | +4 | +1 | +1 | -
5th | +5 | +4 | +1 | +1 | Dirty Fighting (+2d6), Improved Unarmed Combat, Mobility
6th | +6/+1 | +5 | +2 | +2 | Evasion
7th | +7/+2 | +5 | +2 | +2 | -
8th | +8/+3 | +6 | +2 | +2 | Dirty Fighting (+3d6)
9th | +9/+4 | +6 | +3 | +3 | Special Ability
10th | +10/+5 | +7 | +3 | +3 | Advanced Unarmed Combat
11th | +11/+6/+1 | +7 | +3 | +3 | Dirty Fighting (+4d6), Improved Evasion
12th | +12/+7/+2 | +8 | +4 | +4 | Special Ability
13th | +13/+8/+3 | +8 | +4 | +4 | -
14th | +14/+9/+4 | +9 | +4 | +4 | Dirty Fighting (+5d6), Defensive Roll
15th | +15/+10/+5 | +9 | +5 | +5 | Greater Unarmed Combat, Special Ability
16th | +16/+11/+6/+1 | +10 | +5 | +5 | -
17th | +17/+12/+7/+2 | +10 | +5 | +5 | Dirty Fighting (+6d6)
18th | +18/+13/+8/+3 | +11 | +6 | +6 | Special Ability
19th | +19/+14/+9/+4 | +11 | +6 | +6 | -
20th | +20/+15/+10/+5 | +12 | +6 | +6 | Dirty Fighting (+7d6), Superior Unarmed Combat[/table]
Bounding Assault, Rapid Blitz, and Robilar's Gambit found in PHB-II.

Lord Iames Osari
2006-07-17, 10:37 PM
How 'botu you start by explaining to me what a skirmish is? ;)

Fax Celestis
2006-07-17, 10:40 PM
How 'botu you start by explaining to me what a skirmish is? ;)
Skirmish is a Scout ability. You gain the additional damage and ac if you move further than 10' in a round.

Skyserpent
2006-07-17, 11:08 PM
I don't think Brawlers tend to move around that much. Or at least not out of their 5-foot square...

Fax Celestis
2006-07-17, 11:08 PM
I don't think Brawlers tend to move around that much. Or at least not out of their 5-foot square...
Recommend something else then?

Sophistemon
2006-07-17, 11:11 PM
Fist-fighters circle and weave around their opponents. I don't see a problem with the ability.

PandaNecromancer
2006-07-18, 12:31 AM
Use of non-conventional weapons to beat people down with. Chairs, tables, mugs, etc. Brawlers fight to win. Maybe a morale bonus in there if there's a large enough crowd

Laser_Ghost
2006-07-18, 12:37 AM
Skirmish is a Scout ability. You gain the additional damage and ac if you move further than 10' in a round.

10' or more, right? Not more than 10'.

I'd consider making that "unarmed skirmish" or something instead of regular skirmish and make it only work if you're unarmed. As it is right now, the only advantages of being unarmed for this guy are Stunning Fist and (maybe) Improved Grapple, which aren't necessarily going to outweigh a weapon.

Also, it needs a unique ability. One which will preferably encourage unarmed attacks. I don't really know where you wanna go with this, so it's kinda up to you. Maybe if you said more about how it should be different from a monk. Off the top of my head, maybe some (very) limited ability to make multiple attacks after moving, so it can take advantage of the skirmish.

Skyserpent
2006-07-18, 12:47 AM
A disarming ability might be useful, the thing is, with disarming, your supposedly only using one hand. But when both hands are open, couldn't you really go at it and pry the weapon out of their fingers, tossing it away? removing the damn -4 to disarms...

Fax Celestis
2006-07-18, 01:54 PM
All good ideas. Updated. Whatcha think now? I'd clarify stuff, but I have to run back to work. ;)

Larrin
2006-07-18, 04:16 PM
brawlers really don't strike me as the smartest apples in the barrel, nor particularly skilled apples for that matter 4 skill points seems high, considering that bralwers seem most akin to a fighter in flavor and they only get 2 skill points. any fighter type that does have 4+ skill points, useually have a good reason (monks have training, rangers and barabarians have outdoors experience/survival type training) brawlers in general wouldn't.

Fax Celestis
2006-07-18, 04:39 PM
brawlers really don't strike me as the smartest apples in the barrel, nor particularly skilled apples for that matter 4 skill points seems high, considering that bralwers seem most akin to a fighter in flavor and they only get 2 skill points. any fighter type that does have 4+ skill points, useually have a good reason (monks have training, rangers and barabarians have outdoors experience/survival type training) brawlers in general wouldn't.Think of it as applying the talent and brainpower that they would have used on weapon and armor knowledge to skill usage instead.

Catch
2006-07-18, 05:28 PM
Think of it as applying the talent and brainpower that they would have used on weapon and armor knowledge to skill usage instead.

Agreed. Skill points and intelligence score are totally different. A brawler is more worldly, and is capable of doing more things, as opposed to the fighter...

Redgar: "Skill points? Shwaaa?"

Fax Celestis
2006-07-19, 02:49 PM
Finished! Now tear it to pieces.

Oeryn
2006-07-19, 03:04 PM
I agree with SkySerpent, I don't see the skirmish ability fitting in too well.

My wife had an idea for this exact same type of fighter (she even called it a brawler), but she didn't have the necessary expertise to stat out the whole class. This works real well, I think. So I'm going to steal it, for her.

I'm going to take out the skirmish ability, and swap out Dodge at 3rd level for Uncanny Dodge, though. Just works better for me, that way.

Fax Celestis
2006-07-19, 03:39 PM
I agree with SkySerpent, I don't see the skirmish ability fitting in too well.

My wife had an idea for this exact same type of fighter (she even called it a brawler), but she didn't have the necessary expertise to stat out the whole class. This works real well, I think. So I'm going to steal it, for her.

I'm going to take out the skirmish ability, and swap out Dodge at 3rd level for Uncanny Dodge, though. Just works better for me, that way.
Go right ahead. I'm not sure about the Unarmed Skirmish either, but what would I replace it with? Uncanny Dodge doesn't quite do it for me.

Oeryn
2006-07-19, 05:04 PM
I'm not sure that Uncanny Dodge, itself, really works for me, either. What I was thinking of was Improved Uncanny Dodge.

I was a bouncer for several years, and it doesn't take long to learn that you need to keep an eye on your surroundings, and not let yourself get stuck in the middle of things. Improved Uncanny Dodge, to me, reflects the Brawler learning not to let people behind them, or at least learning how to deal with it, when they DO get there.

I'm not 100% sure that that's more "realistic", flavor-wise, than the Dodge/Mobility/Spring Attack thing you've got going, but it seems more fitting, to me. The D/M/S A skills seem to lend themselves to quick, dextrous types, and those typically aren't the ones starting bar fights. Same thing goes for the skirmish ability.

Fax Celestis
2006-07-19, 05:13 PM
I'm not sure that Uncanny Dodge, itself, really works for me, either. What I was thinking of was Improved Uncanny Dodge.

I was a bouncer for several years, and it doesn't take long to learn that you need to keep an eye on your surroundings, and not let yourself get stuck in the middle of things. Improved Uncanny Dodge, to me, reflects the Brawler learning not to let people behind them, or at least learning how to deal with it, when they DO get there.

I'm not 100% sure that that's more "realistic", flavor-wise, than the Dodge/Mobility/Spring Attack thing you've got going, but it seems more fitting, to me. The D/M/S A skills seem to lend themselves to quick, dextrous types, and those typically aren't the ones starting bar fights. Same thing goes for the skirmish ability.
What about something similar to the Dirty Fighting ability I came up with on the Corsair (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=gaming;action=display;num=1151478158 ) instead?

Oeryn
2006-07-19, 05:24 PM
I like it. Now that I'm not still a bouncer, anyway. :)

I'd make the damage d6, though, both to counter how much you're giving up, and to stay consistent with other "extra damage" things like Sneak Attack and Skirmish.

I think the idea works perfectly, though. Especially combined with the improvised weapons rules. Nothin'll surprise you like trading honest licks back and forth with a guy, more than him suddenly swingin' around and nailing you with a bottle or a pool ball.

Fax Celestis
2006-07-19, 05:40 PM
I like it. Now that I'm not still a bouncer, anyway. :)

I'd make the damage d6, though, both to counter how much you're giving up, and to stay consistent with other "extra damage" things like Sneak Attack and Skirmish.

I think the idea works perfectly, though. Especially combined with the improvised weapons rules. Nothin'll surprise you like trading honest licks back and forth with a guy, more than him suddenly swingin' around and nailing you with a bottle or a pool ball.
Updated and slightly modified. Whatcha think now?

Artisan
2006-07-19, 05:44 PM
PErsonally, I think it looks like a damned fine class

Oeryn
2006-07-19, 05:50 PM
I like it.

I really think the Dirty Fighting works MUCH better than Skirmish.

Well done!

ShneekeyTheLost
2006-07-19, 08:09 PM
I would also suggest that Dirty Fighting might be used at any time a Sneak Attack would. Nastiest hit you ever took was the one you never saw comming. Shot to the kidneys hurts like hell and will drop most people in one hit, perfectly applicable to Brawlers.

Other than that, one of the best 'brawler' types I've ever seen.

One suggestion: I'd suggest you allow gauntlet damage to ramp up with unarmed damage. By the book, gauntlets only do d4, even when equipped by a monk with 2d6 unarmed damage. Just change the wording to 'His attacks while unarmed or while wielding gauntlets' and it should work out better.

Fax Celestis
2006-08-07, 01:23 AM
Move me?

BakerOfBedlam
2006-08-07, 05:50 PM
I love it. I've been looking for a non-monk unarmed class for a while, and this just rocks it.

On a side note, do all improvised weapons do 1d4? Because it seems like smashing a stool over someone's head would do more damage than a fork to the arm, and in my book those would both be attacks with improvised weapons.

Fax Celestis
2006-08-07, 07:54 PM
On a side note, do all improvised weapons do 1d4? Because it seems like smashing a stool over someone's head would do more damage than a fork to the arm, and in my book those would both be attacks with improvised weapons.
Read carefully: it's 1d4 + unarmed strike damage. So a 10th level Brawler would deal 1d4 +1d10 damage with an improvised weapon, while a 15th would deal 1d8 + 2d6, due to the inherent upgrades in "Greater Unarmed Combat".

The only difference that using different kinds of improvised stuff does is change the damage type. Your stool is bludgeoning, while your fork is piercing.

BakerOfBedlam
2006-08-07, 10:31 PM
Huh. Not sure how I missed that bit. :P

Thanks for the clarification, man. I think I'm going to have to yoink this class for an NPC I'm working on.

Fax Celestis
2006-08-07, 10:59 PM
Huh. Not sure how I missed that bit. :P

Thanks for the clarification, man. I think I'm going to have to yoink this class for an NPC I'm working on.
Go right ahead. Tell me how it works out.

Rubo233
2006-08-08, 11:02 AM
i really really like this class and im going to nab it if thats not a problem im going to use it in my game...o the look on my players faces when the guy with no weapons is NOt a monk...ha ha ha ha ha...whops sorry about that i got a little carried away

Blackbird
2006-08-09, 05:17 AM
Really cool class, hope you don't mind if I use it in a game here on the boards. Seems like fun for a pirate-game :)

NullAshton
2006-08-09, 10:16 AM
The stunning ability seems a little powerful. Strength is one of the easiest to ramp up attributes, I think. Plus, with vexing flanker or something like that from the PHB 2, and using improvised weapons as reach weapons, then at level 20 you can have 4 stunning attacks with vexing flanker per round. Maybe make it like the rogue's strength damaging attack, with -2 to strength and -2 to fortitute saves(treat as attribute damage) per save they fail.

Fax Celestis
2006-08-09, 12:55 PM
The stunning ability seems a little powerful. Strength is one of the easiest to ramp up attributes, I think. Plus, with vexing flanker or something like that from the PHB 2, and using improvised weapons as reach weapons, then at level 20 you can have 4 stunning attacks with vexing flanker per round. Maybe make it like the rogue's strength damaging attack, with -2 to strength and -2 to fortitute saves(treat as attribute damage) per save they fail.
Yeah, before when it required you to sacrifice all your other attacks in a round instead of sacrificing or flanking, it was less powerful, since you could only ever get off one.

Let me tinker, and tell me what you think.

EDIT: üpdätëd.