PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 druid help

Jarade
2009-05-10, 12:28 AM
Ok, so I'm starting a new campaign with some buddies, and they are really looking into trying to make this as power-loaded a campaign that I've played in to date.

Since I'm not exactly amazing at power gaming, I was wondering if the playgrounders could help me set up a character so that I can have an idea of how to play my guy, and what my goal is.

(The Info)
Using a 48 point buy system
Every stat starts at 8
8 - 14 costs 1 point a peice
15, 16 costs 2 points a peice
17, 18 costs 3 points a peice

I'd like to be a human, but I am open to suggestions.

My alignment can be any non-good due to campaign restrictions.

I can use any book, barring Gm approval, but as long as I don't instant break the game, it will be allowed.

I will be starting at level 5

And I have an unspecified amount of gold, so I would love any advice on items, as long as they are reasonably priced (i.e. no tome of clear thoughts and the like)

This is all of the info that I could think of that would be helpful, but if I missed something, just let me know and I'll answer it to the best of my abilities.

Thank you!

Leon
2009-05-10, 02:14 AM
Shapeshift Druid from PHB2 would be good for you

I'd Go with
STR 16
DEX 16
CON 16
INT 10
WIS 18
CHA 8

Shape Shift keeps the druid melee capability and Spell power in one neat bundle, if your still made keen to have a Pet then use Wild Cohort to gain one back

Goatman_Ted
2009-05-10, 02:21 AM
48 point buy with a Druid?

That's ridiculous.

Put an 18 in both Constitution and Wisdom, pick up Natural Spell at level 6 and you couldn't go wrong if you tried.

Chineselegolas
2009-05-10, 03:16 AM
Druid Handbook (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=733400), has some rather good advice.
Yeah, the handbook has alot of information in it, is easy to read though. Pick and choose what you want

Simply put, max Con, max Wis. Natural spell at 6th.
Other wise as Goatman_Ted said, "can't go wrong"

Dhavaer
2009-05-10, 03:17 AM
Im not quite understanding the points system

It's the same as normal point buy.

Talic
2009-05-10, 03:26 AM
As they said, Con 18, Wis 18.

That's 32 of your 48 points. 16 remaining. From here, we have a few options.

1) Natural Scholar. Str 8, Dex 10, Con 18, Int 16, Wis 18, Cha 12
Skill points? Hm. Maybe not the best choice.

2) Nature's Champion. Str 8, Dex 10, Con 18, Int 12, Wis 18, Cha 16
Work the Animal Empathy...

3) Nature's Warrior. Str 14, Dex 10, Con 18, Int 12, Wis 18, Cha 12
Qualify for Power attack... Hm.

Any of the above builds are successful, though I'd likely go with (2) myself.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2009-05-10, 04:22 AM
Definitely get Natural Bond (CV) at 1 or 3, and get a Fleshraker dinosuar (MM3) for your animal companion. The 'level -3' for it being a more powerful companion is negated by the +3 from Natural Bond. As it gains feats, you should give it Virulent Poison (SS), Ability Focus: Poison (MM), and Mage Slayer (CA).

If you want to use cheese, get Natural Bond at 1 and Exalted Companion (BoED) at level 3. This gives your Fleshraker the Celestial Creature template, which makes it good-aligned, and it can take Sacred Vow and Vow of Poverty. You'll need to give it a flaw (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/characterFlaws.htm) (Shaky) so it will have enough feats for both of those starting out.

For your race, I'd probably go Water Halfling (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/elementalRacialVariants.htm#racesOfWater) with Dragonborn of Bahamut (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20060105b&page=1) using the Mind aspect. That gets Str -2, Con +4, 20 ft. land speed, 20 ft. swim speed, and you'll keep your darkvision, low-light vision, and blindsense when wild shaped.

olentu
2009-05-10, 04:29 AM
If you want to use cheese, get Natural Bond at 1 and Exalted Companion (BoED) at level 3. This gives your Fleshraker the Celestial Creature template, which makes it good-aligned, and it can take Sacred Vow and Vow of Poverty. You'll need to give it a flaw (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/characterFlaws.htm) (Shaky) so it will have enough feats for both of those starting out.

It might be of note that an exalted fleshraker would likely need to stop using the poison it has to maintain exalted status.

Salt_Crow
2009-05-10, 04:51 AM
It might be of note that an exalted fleshraker would likely need to stop using the poison it has to maintain exalted status.

But it opens up Touch of Golden Ice which applies to all natural weapons.

olentu
2009-05-10, 05:10 AM
But it opens up Touch of Golden Ice which applies to all natural weapons.

Yes It does, but in any case I was making the point to keep any person taking the advice from forgetting this and trying something like stacking the poison and touch of golden ice which would seem not to work. Also any advice takers would probably need to work some way out with their DM for the poison to not be automatically applied. These reminders would be to prevent possible complications any advice takers might have if some details are overlooked but eventually get remembered.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2009-05-10, 05:47 AM
Poison and disease are generally the tools of evil monsters and
characters, implements of corruption and destruction. If snakes
and vermin are associated with evil, as they are in many cultures,
it is usually because of their venom that they are viewed in
such a negative light despite their neutral alignment. Using
poison that deals ability damage is an evil act because it causes
undue suffering in the process of incapacitating or killing an
opponent.
I never really understood their reasoning behind this. If an opponent has 200 HP and 10 Dex, wouldn't dosing it with Dex damage poison a few times and then either capture or CDG it cause it less suffering than burning through its HP over several rounds? Plus, there are Druids who worship good-aligned deities who can cast the spell Poison regardless of its 'evil nature', a spell granted to them by that good-aligned deity. If a spell is evil, it will have the [Evil] descriptor, and spells that deal poison effects including ability damage are not inherently evil. You could even use Consecrate Spell to make Poison a [Good] spell, in which case casting it is considered a good-aligned act and cannot also be considered an evil-aligned act.

By their reasoning of "all poison is evil" any neutral-aligned animal that has a naturally poisonous attack is committing an evil act every time they deliver it, therefore all such creatures should eventually become evil-aligned due to their evil activities. It cannot be held against such creatures for using their natural abilities. An Exalted character can cast Summon Monster II to conjure a Celestial Giant Bee, a [Good] spell that makes a creature which delivers poison, in which case does that character lose their exalted status? That spell can't even be considered an evil act, it's a [Good] spell after all. Would the good-aligned Celestial Giant Bee be considered to be committing an evil act in aiding the summoner, since it's delivering poison with its sting? It makes absolutely no sense that a creature's naturally occurring poison attack would be considered an evil act. Obtaining poison and adding it to your weapons would be as far as I would take that, but naturally poisonous attacks and even spells that don't have the [Evil] descriptor should not be considered an evil act unless it's being used with evil or malicious intent.

Regardless, if your DM says a Fleshraker's natural poison disqualifies it for exalted status, use a Dire Eagle from Races of Stone instead.

Talic
2009-05-10, 05:55 AM
The problem with your animals are evil line of thought is that Int 1 and 2 creatures are always neutral, as they are incapable of determining evil.

olentu
2009-05-10, 06:04 AM
Interestingly however creatures without an int score can be evil.

On topic the alternative class features in here

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070228a

can be somewhat useful.

Talic
2009-05-10, 06:12 AM
Interestingly however creatures without an int score can be evil.

On topic the alternative class features in here

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070228a

can be somewhat useful.

That's typically due to the concept of "inherent evil". Undead, and somesuch, whose creation is steeped in evil.

olentu
2009-05-10, 06:19 AM
That's typically due to the concept of "inherent evil". Undead, and somesuch, whose creation is steeped in evil.

Yeah I know but I still find it somewhat silly what with negative energy not really being evil, not all undead being evil, and such stuff where things are not spelled out very well if at all.

Leon
2009-05-10, 12:52 PM
It's the same as normal point buy.

fair enough, not seen it written down - only used it via a site such as Invisible Castle

Numbers and Me have a Hit n Miss association

Flickerdart
2009-05-10, 01:16 PM
The problem with your animals are evil line of thought is that Int 1 and 2 creatures are always neutral, as they are incapable of determining evil.
Celestial creatures have 3 or more INT as Magical Beasts.

Jack_Simth
2009-05-10, 01:32 PM
Ok, so I'm starting a new campaign with some buddies, and they are really looking into trying to make this as power-loaded a campaign that I've played in to date.

Since I'm not exactly amazing at power gaming, I was wondering if the playgrounders could help me set up a character so that I can have an idea of how to play my guy, and what my goal is.

(The Info)
Using a 48 point buy system
Every stat starts at 8
8 - 14 costs 1 point a peice
15, 16 costs 2 points a peice
17, 18 costs 3 points a peice

My alignment can be any non-good due to campaign restrictions.

I can use any book, barring Gm approval, but as long as I don't instant break the game, it will be allowed.

I will be starting at level 5

And I have an unspecified amount of gold, so I would love any advice on items, as long as they are reasonably priced (i.e. no tome of clear thoughts and the like)

This is all of the info that I could think of that would be helpful, but if I missed something, just let me know and I'll answer it to the best of my abilities.

Thank you!

Let's see...

48 standard point buy? Yikes. Base 18 Wis, 18 Con, leaves you with 16 points to distribute however you like. So you could have, say, 18 Int and have 9 skill points per level - but I wouldn't actually recommend Human for this campaign.

I'd actually suggest Dwarf. +2 Con makes you very hard to hurt through HP damage (especially if you go with a base 18 Con!), +2 saves vs. Spells, Spell-like abilities, and Poisons actually makes for +2 vs. about 75-90% of the saves you'll make in a day, you don't need to worry about being slowed down by armor, and you don't need to worry about the reduced base land speed thanks to Wild Shape. A Dwarf Druid with base 18 Con, base 18 Wis, and Natural Spell (next level, at 6th) is hard to do wrong. You could also pull out Savage Species, and play an Anthropomorphic Bat (or Toad) for the Wisdom boost and +0 LA.

Specifics:
Alignment: You want either CN or LN, so that if you run afoul of a Helm of Opposite Alignment, you neither lose your Druidic powers nor go outside the campaign alignment requirements.
Abilities: 8 Str, 10 Dex, 18 (20, after Dwarf Racial bonus) Con, 16 Int, 18 Wis (19, after 4th level boost), 12 Cha (10, after Dwarf Racial penalty).

Skills: You have seven skill points per level. Max ranks (8 each) in: Concentration, Handle Animal, Knoweledge(Nature), Listen, Spot, Spellcraft, and Diplomacy. On your next level, you don't need any further ranks in Handle Animal (as you make a Trained Handle Animal check with your animal companion on a natural 1, and any other Handle Animal check with your animal companion by taking 10) - switch to whatever amuses you. Survival, maybe.

Feats:
To cheese it out, take Natural Bond at 1st (mitigates level-adjusted Companions by 3 levels), Companion Spellbound at 3rd (share spells at 30 feet), and Natural Spell at 6th (when you get there).

Animal Companion:
Fleshraker Dinosaur, Monster Manual III. Crazy-good, especially with Natural Bond to give it full Druid bonuses, and a Greater Magic Fang spell to make it hit both harder and more often. With Natural Bond, it'll have at least as many hit dice as you do up until 11th level - but make sure it puts it's next stat boost into Con.

Equipment:
For your animal companion, pick up some Barding. At start of game, your Fleshraker will have a Dex modifier of +5, +6 at 9th. The barding you choose needs to be able to accomodate that. Your animal companion will *usually* not be considered proficient, so you want to make certain that the Armor Check Penalty is 0 or less. Mithril Chain Shirt barding costs you either 1,200 gp or 2,200 gp (check with your DM) for the Medium Fleshraker, grants +4 Armor to AC (stacks with Natural Armor), can be enchanted for more AC later on (it's considered Masterwork), has 0 ACP, and a Max Dex of +6. At the start of the game, it'll have 18 strength - which means as a medium critter is has a light load of 100 pounds - get it a pack saddle, and you can save on extra dimensional storage space (a little).
For you, you really just need the basics - Holly and Mistletoe, spell components pouch, stat boosters, save boosters, AC boosters. You also want to look up the Wilding Clasp (magic item compendium) for keeping them in Wild Shape. Wands of Cure Light Wounds (or better: Lesser Vigor, Spell Compendium) are also a good idea for between battles.

Devils_Advocate
2009-05-10, 03:55 PM
Consider playing a forest gnome (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/gnome.htm#forestGnome). Think less Druidzilla and more Dr. Doolittle.