PDA

View Full Version : Haze Grey & Underway

Stealthdozer
2009-05-10, 01:28 AM
Dungeon Mastering Nautical Games:
Learn the terminology.
I’m a deck-ape from the Coast of Maine. Many nautical terms are second nature to me. Likely that doesn’t help you? I’ve never manned a tall-ship however. I copied a sail plan from an encyclopedia indicating which sail was what, and kept it out of view. It enhanced the game for my players when I could locate a fore top gallant with ease. I recommend drawing and identifying as much as you can, and keeping these notes handy. Memorize a term or two, and incorporate each into your next game. Using the proper terms really adds to the quality of the gaming experience.

Run a tight ship at character creation.
Most of our group wanted to play a pirate game, seeking a bit of swashbuckling roguery. One player insisted on playing a Paladin. Another time, another player wanted to play a centaur – on a sailing ship! It’s your duty to secure poor character concepts – the earlier the better for all.

Avoid Nihilism.
It discourages players if you constantly take their toys. Never ruin your player’s confidence in their ship – it’s their sanctuary. Their ship shouldn’t be constantly sinking, constantly under attack, or constantly suffering from your ill-advised sense of drama. You’re not Shakespeare, learn to let them be.

You’re not Shakespeare.
Forget what you think is drama. If the player’s ship is faster than another ship, then make it so. They might outrun an enemy, or chase another ship down. Let them. Ships shouldn’t be suffering broken masts, torn sails, or catastrophic leaks just because you’re bored. Ships are resistant to damage of all types. Prior to the age of gunpowder, ships were not combustible. Boilers on early steam-ships did blow-up, but improvements in design made these reliable too. I normally apply half-damage from all energy types on wooden sailing vessels that lack gunpowder.

Simplify source materials.
There are many good source books for nautical campaigns. Not everyone has access to all these materials. To simplify things we use just Stormwrack, plus a few house rules. Write the house rules down, and e-mail or hand them out to your players. Avoid “secret” rules.

Cox the landlubber.
Every group I’ve run had one player who was easily sea-sick, couldn’t swim, or otherwise feared the sea. D&D is id on parade. Some players will project their fears into their characters. They’ll hold themselves and sometimes the rest of the crew back if you let them. Listen to their fears, boost their confidence, and help them separate themselves from their characters. Provide warm milk and a cookie if necessary. Dungeon Masters need to know when to be gentle too.

Know your crew.
We’ve a large crew (party). I claimed realism when I forbid siege weapons aboard ships (this went for Non-Player Character’s ships too). A catapult or ballista on a sailing vessel is impractical – even stupid. The unspoken cause behind this decision was the dynamics of the group. The player who wanted to play a Paladin on a pirate ship would likely have pea-cocked the siege engines. Forbidding them – a published house rule – provided all players something to do during fights with enemy ships – firing missile weapons and casting spells at a distance, or swarming aboard ships that drew close. By pea-cocking I mean playing as the center of attention.

Players earn rank.
Someone gets to wear the big hat and be Captain. Eventually this will be a Player. Ensure the player is the right one for the job. Bossy players don’t get to be Captain. One nautical campaign I was a player in I served as First Mate, and was helpful as I could be to both the crew and the young lady who wanted to wear the big hat. I was the most knowledgeable real-world sailor. These people are my friends. I’m not there to play at their expense.

Player’s decisions matter
One successful nautical campaign revolved around a crew of (mostly) Half-Elves manning a merchant caravel, sailing between several ports. In theory their adventure was to establish trade between Elf and Human communities. The real fun lay in letting the players make decisions. Important skills included Diplomacy, Gather Information, Profession - Merchant, and Profession - Sailor. Eventually there were pirate contacts in Freeport, a blood-feud with the Back Bay Thieves Guild, and a kraken lurking just past the Western Strait. The party didn’t know it, but the “world” was inspired by the Ancient Mediterranean. Anyway, my job was to provide enough details for the players to make decisions by – not make decisions for the players by limiting the details provided. Maybe your players are all bloodthirsty, and want nothing more than to play Grand Theft Auto on the high seas. Let them, and let them face the consequences too.

Kyeudo
2009-05-10, 01:56 AM
Nice suggestions, but I have one question:

Before the invention of cannon and after the Romans, how was naval combat conducted? I ask because the idea of ditching balistae as cannon replacements apeals to me, but other than boarding actions, what can you do to deal with an enemy ship?

Stealthdozer
2009-05-10, 03:42 AM
In our history there was a period when warships had platforms fore and aft for archers to fire bows, though pirates have always preferred boarding actions.

In a fantasy world magic can surpass a broadside of cannon, though magic of that caliber could replace the need for a ship…

jcsw
2009-05-10, 03:48 AM
How do you handle the desire to trick-out one's ship?

As well the need for characters with actual ranks in Profession (Sailor) or Knowledge (Geography)?

Halaster
2009-05-10, 03:52 AM
Nice post, a little terse maybe, but very helpful.
I've GMed nautical campaigns, but mostly historical stuff, so I wonder: how do you see magic in such a game. I'm afraid it might ruin some of the fun. Boarding parties popping up in your hold, teleported in by a wizard, your sails disintegrating and whatnot, all sounds like so much extra trouble to me. It can allow for a lot of player creativity, but that can just as well derail the plot and it means the players have to look out for a thousand things to guard their ship against. What can a GM do about that? Introduce ship wards that keep magic out? Make all wizards landlubbers? Just go with the flow and toss out every other story he plucked from a Horatio Hornblower novel or an Errol Flynn movie because with magic it just won't work?

Stealthdozer
2009-05-11, 12:41 AM
How do I handle the desire to trick-out one's ship? Normally I charge gold. Ostentatious displays of wealth garner the attention of more powerful, malignant enemies. I let players improve their ship as they see fit, though that may prove to be a voyage of unexpected consequences.

I clearly define crew roles and requirements. They’re filled by Non-Player Characters (Expert NPCs) when the party is at low-level. A first level character can easily be a boatswain.

As to magic it depends on your party, as in “Know your party.” Some groups like a lot of magic, others not so much.

Magic is a force-multiplier, an effective means of power-projection, and an able defense, but there are still no guarantees.

When my players discover a new tactic it works a few times. Once word spreads though, defenses are found. I like having the players drive this process: they’re the heroes after all. I’ve found that spells often have counters. Ever try teleporting into an anti-magic field?

It can take creativity on everyone’s part, but there’s usually a way to make a campaign work without resorting to draconian measures. I guess that’s true of every campaign?

If it helps, we once used the Darkmaiden’s Dance in a campaign. What follows is the information I provided at character creation:

The Darkmaiden’s Dance:
Masterwork Caravel. Colossal vehicle with Masterwork Controls (see Stormwrack, pp.98, also Arms & Equipment Guide, pp.48-49).
Keel: 60’.
Beam: 30’.
Freeboard: 10’.
Draft: 10’.
Compliment: 12-20.
Watch: Four (4).
Cargo: 120 tons (speed: wind x20’ if 60 tons or more).
Cost: 34,800gp.
Seaworthiness: +6.
Ship Handling: +4.
Speed: Wind x35’ or 3.5mph.
Maneuverability: Nautical Average.
Overall AC: -3.
Hull Sections: 24.
Sink: Six (6) Sections.
Hit Points per Section: 120.
Hull Hardness: Five (5).
AC Hull Section: Three (3).
Rigging Sections: Three (3) Masts.
Hit Points Rigging: 120.
Rigging Hardness: Zero (0).
AC Rigging Section: One (1).
Description: The Darkmaiden’s Dance is a three-mast, lateen-rigged masterwork caravel. Her gunwales provide AC+4 and Reflex Save +2 to those aboard her.

What can hurt the Darkmaiden’s Dance:
Attack Form and Damage:
Melee Weapon, Piercing: Half.
Melee Weapon, Bludgeoning or Slashing: Full.
Ranged Weapon, Small or Medium: None.
Ranged Weapon, Large: Half.
Siege Weapon, Ballista: Half.
Siege Weapon, Other: Full.
Acid: Half.
Cold: Quarter.
Electricity: Half.
Fire: Half.
Force: Full.
Sonic: Full.

Gear Aboard the Darkmaiden’s Dance:
Armour Maintenance Kit; Arms & Equipment Guide, pp.21.
Artisan’s Tools, Masterwork; Player’s Handbook, pp.129.
Banners; Arms & Equipment Guide, pp.21.
Barrels; Player’s Handbook, pp.128.
Bedrolls; Player’s Handbook, pp.126.
Blankets, Winter; Player’s Handbook, pp.126.
Bolt Cutters; Arms & Equipment Guide, pp.21.
Bottles, Wine, Glass; Player’s Handbook, pp.128.
Candelabras; Arms & Equipment Guide, pp.21.
Candles; Player’s Handbook, pp.126.
Candle Molds; Arms & Equipment Guide, pp.21.
Canvas; Player’s Handbook, pp.128.
Cases, Map or Scroll; Player’s Handbook, pp.126.
Chains; Player’s Handbook, pp.126.
Chalks; Player’s Handbook, pp.128.
Chests; Player’s Handbook, pp.128.
Clubs; Player’s Handbook, pp.115.
Cold Weather Outfits; Player’s Handbook, pp.131.
Crowbars; Player’s Handbook, pp.126.
Cutlasses; Stormwrack, pp.107.
Daggers; Player’s Handbook, pp.121.
Firewood; Player’s Handbook, pp.128.
Fishhooks; Player’s Handbook, pp.128.
Fishing Tackle; Arms & Equipment Guide, pp.22.
Flasks; Player’s Handbook, pp.126.
Flints & Steels; Player’s Handbook, pp.126.
Float Bladders; Stormwrack, pp.108.
Game Boards, Portable; Arms & Equipment Guide, pp.22.
Grappling Hooks; Player’s Handbook, pp.126.
Hacksaws; Arms & Equipment Guide, pp.23.
Hammers, Player’s Handbook, pp.126.
Hammocks; Arms & Equipment Guide, pp.23.
Hand Axes; Player’s Handbook, pp.118.
Harpoons; Stormwrack, pp.107
Healer’s Kits; Player’s Handbook, pp.130.
Inks; Player’s Handbook, pp.126.
Ink Pens; Player’s Handbook, pp.126.
Insect Netting; Arms & Equipment Guide, pp.24.
Jugs, Player’s Handbook, pp.126.
Kegs; Arms & Equipment Guide, pp.24.
Ladders, ten-foot; Player’s Handbook, pp.126.
Lamps, Common; Player’s Handbook, pp.126.
Lanterns, Bulls Eye; Player’s Handbook, pp.126.
Lanterns, Fog Cutter; Arms & Equipment Guide, pp.24.
Lanterns, Hooded; Player’s Handbook, pp.126.
Magnifying Glasses; Player’s Handbook, pp.130.
Mirrors, Small Steel; Player’s Handbook, pp.127.
Mess Kits; Arms & Equipment Guide, pp.24.
Mugs/Tankards, Clay; Player’s Handbook, pp.128.
Navigator’s Kits; Arms & Equipment Guide, pp.28.
Oils; Player’s Handbook, pp.127.
Oilskin Suits; Stormwrack, pp.108.
Paper; Player’s Handbook, pp.127.
Parchment; Player’s Handbook, pp.127.
Percolator; Arms & Equipment Guide, pp.24.
Pestles & Mortars; Arms & Equipment Guide, pp.24.
Picks, Miner’s; Player’s Handbook, pp.128.
Pitchers, Clay; Player’s Handbook, pp.128.
Poles, ten-foot; Player’s Handbook, pp.127.
Pouches, Belt; Player’s Handbook, pp.127.
Pulleys; Arms & Equipment Guide, pp.24.
Rams, Portable; Player’s Handbook, pp.127.
Rations; Player’s Handbook, pp.127.
Ropes, Hempen; Player’s Handbook, pp.127.
Sacks; Player’s Handbook, pp.127.
Saws, Folding; Arms & Equipment Guide, pp.24.
Scales, Merchant’s; Player’s Handbook, pp.130.
Sealing Wax; Player’s Handbook, pp.128.
Sextants; Stormwrack, pp.108.
Sewing Needles; Player’s Handbook, pp.128.
Signal Whistles; Player’s Handbook, pp.128.
Slate Boards; Arms & Equipment Guide, pp.25.
Sledges; Player’s Handbook, pp.127.
Snow Goggles; Arms & Equipment Guide, pp.25.
Soap; Player’s Handbook, pp.128.
Spades or Shovels; Player’s Handbook, pp.128.
Spears; Player’s Handbook, pp.121.
Sunrods; Player’s Handbook, pp.128.
Tarps; Arms & Equipment Guide, pp.26.
Tongs, Metal; Arms & Equipment Guidee, pp.26.
Vials; Player’s Handbook, pp.127.
Waterskins; Player’s Handbook, pp.127.
Wicks, Candle; Arms & Equipment Guide, pp.27.
Whetstone; Player’s Handbook, pp.128.

Crew Roles:
Deckhand: Able-bodied sailors who handle the ship’s sails, lines, small boats, and deck maintenance.
Requirements: One (1) rank in each: Climb, Profession – Sailor, and Use Rope.

Boatswain: A boatswain is an experienced sailor who supervises and assists the deckhands in performing their duties. He or she is also skilled in handling the ship and cargo – setting up cargo booms, rigging hoists to raise heavy loads over the side, lashing ships together, and other such tasks. Boatswain is often abbreviated (and pronounced) "bos’n" or "bosun".
Requirements: Four (4) ranks in Profession – Sailor, plus one (1) rank each in Climb and Use Rope.

Captain: A ship’s captain is usually an experienced sailor, navigator, and commander.
Requirements: Seven (7) ranks in Profession – Sailor, four (4) ranks in Knowledge (Geography), two (2) ranks in Knowledge – Nature or Survival, and two (2) ranks in Bluff, Diplomacy, or Intimidate, one (1) rank each in Climb and Use Rope.

Additionally, someone should know how to cook i.e., Profession (Cook) or Craft: Meals.