PDA

View Full Version : Soulbows and Weapon Augment Crystals

Scribble
2009-05-10, 06:24 PM
I'm making a Soulbow/Skirmisher in a high level gestalt game and I'm wondering if there's any way I can use the weapon augment crystals from the Magic Item Compendium, in particular the ones that would allow me to skirmish undead or constructs.

The problem is a Soulbow just manifests the mind arrows through their hand, there's no bow to attach a crystal to. So I'm curious if I could attach the crystal to a glove or maybe a headband, or if I'm just grasping at straws here.

Thanks in advance for any info or ideas.

Behold_the_Void
2009-05-10, 06:45 PM
I don't think legally, but you might be able to get your DM to allow you to get some kind of hand slot item for it. Like the Exspheres in Tales of Symphonia, if you're familiar with that, or some other kind of graft.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-05-10, 11:34 PM
Have you considered Swift Hunter? Allows Ranger and Scout levels to stack for Skirmish and Favored Enemy, and allows Skirmish to apply to Favored Enemies with immunity(technically covering Fortification and similar, too). Pick Undead and Constructs, and you're good.

RTGoodman
2009-05-11, 01:28 AM
The problem is a Soulbow just manifests the mind arrows through their hand, there's no bow to attach a crystal to. So I'm curious if I could attach the crystal to a glove or maybe a headband, or if I'm just grasping at straws here.

I'm pretty sure there's an item or two in the MIC that are gloves or something that augment your mindblade. See if they're still something you could use, and then just attach your crystals to that.

Hadrian_Emrys
2009-05-11, 12:29 PM
As a DM, I'd rule that you channel the weapon through the equipped crystal. In other words, it'd function a bit like a lightsaber sans the hilt (that can also be a bow). Not game breaking, and makes for a really cool mental image. Win all around.

Scribble
2009-05-11, 06:53 PM
I'm pretty sure there's an item or two in the MIC that are gloves or something that augment your mindblade. See if they're still something you could use, and then just attach your crystals to that.

Yeah I saw those which is what gave me the idea for a glove that I could attach the weapon crystals to.

Waspinator
2009-05-11, 08:38 PM
I'm not sure if the Soulknife or Soulbow can technically by RAW use those crystals, but I would personally would houserule it in. Seems reasonable. Stick the crystal on your clothes somewhere and make sure you obey the rules and limitations for if you were using the crystal with a more mundane weapon and I don't see any balance problems. At the most, I might homebrew up a cheap magic amulet or glove or something (probably try to make it unslotted) that you stick the crystal in.

RTGoodman
2009-05-11, 10:09 PM
Yeah I saw those which is what gave me the idea for a glove that I could attach the weapon crystals to.

Well, in that case, talk to your DM about it and it should be fine. Either make it a set of gloves that you can attach the weapon augment crystals, or just re-fluff the augment crystals as (slot-less) gloves that you can wear on top of any other magical hand slot items.